Official Manchester United Thread

Rishabh Desai

They've both been very poor but how can you rate Schweinstieger's signing above Schneiderlin's. I gave up reading after that.

Probably because I've watched United all season at OT and believe Schweinsteiger, when fit, has contributed more than Schneiderlin who has been poor defensively and offensively. I would suggest not dismissing someone's opinion entirely based on one disagreement especially when I rated one 5.5 and the other 5.3 this is hardly a huge gap but also factors in untangibles. I know for example Schweiny offers us experience that Schneiderlin will never offer us. That has value IMO. Why for example would you argue Schneiderlin has had a better one? 

I would argue Schweinsteiger has been better due to the following:

• He offers us experience of CL success, WC success and League successes. He is a winner and we lack those kinds of leaders.
  • He did not cost a lot of money.
  • He, when fit, has had a few decent performances showing what we might have on our hands. 
  • Injury has been his biggest issue

I would argue Schneiderlin has been worse due to:

• Poor defensive and offensive positioning when playing in both a 2 man midfield and 3.
  • Higher fee = greater expectation. He has let us down more.
  • He already has experience of the PL and yet seemed to be completely out of his depth against opposition.
  • He too has had injury woes.

The important thing to note is I do not feel either has had a great season, for me Schweiny edges it because I feel his experience may benefit our younger players in the longer term.

I wasn't to much dismissing your opinion it would be more the fact there was just to much and I'm tired but in comparison between the two players. Both have been playing defensive roles for the team and I would be pretty adamant that Morgan has averaged more tackles, interceptions, clearances and blocks per game. But you would say that would be expected because he's more a breaker of play than Basti. Attacking wise.. I can't remember either player registering an assist and by memory I can only think that both players have scored 1 goal. Basti will probably have a high average of passes played but Morgan will probably have a better percentage rate of successful passes. As for cost, yes Basti was a cheaper but that's down to age and came from the Bundesliga and purely the fact Bayern didn't want him anymore, knew he was injury prone and was nowhere near the player he once was. Morgan came from Southampton a team in the PL a team in recent years who have developed or produced players and made a lot of profit selling them on, sadly he hasn't been half the player at United he was at Southampton but it's easier to stand out in teams like that compared to playing in a United shirt. You're correct on Basti being a winner and having vital experience he has a proven track record but I'm yet to see any of it used. Both players have had injury problems this season but Morgan has made more appearances aswell.

One of Chicharito and RvP should've been at United. The players transfer in made sense but going out didn't made any sense to me. You sell 2 of your 3 strikers when you know that the third (Rooney) is no longer a striker but a midfielder, Sell player like Rafael for just 2m, send out a brilliant youth prospect like Januzaj on loan and probably if the paper work completed in time.... DAVID DE GEA to Real Madrid?

You mention low attacking options, don't forget he also sold Nani and loaned James Wilson to Brighton. And didn't buy anyone to cover selling RVP and Hernandez you're right. I'm sure I remember watching a press conference in the January transfer window where he said he won't buy players if we already have better players in our squad, what a joke that was. The man had to go.

As a rival team supporter, I am genuinely 1000% mroe worried about United next season under Mou vs LVG. I hate Mou but say what you want about the loser, he gets it done. United back into the mix with his signing alone imo. Fancy them to take Spurs place in the top 4 next season along with Chelsea bouncing back (no offence to leicester but id wager that will be at your expense)

Welcome back Ben C - some old faces are returning slowly

Fair assessment of the season but some I kinda disagree

Points on Darmain, seem to forget during the middle/end of season - Valera, Fosu-Mensah was in his RB spot while he sat on the bench, that could of demotivated him as he is an international player and being pushed out by inexperienced players, Also you mention Valencia poor at crosses - game vs Villa

Blind and Smalling - Partnership looks fine but United were too defensive, scared to lose a goal. Forwards are trying to put themselves onto Blind, which Smalling tries to take the forward off him which messes up the defence  at times

Schweinsteiger and Schneiderlain debate - I actually think Schneiderlain has done a bit more than credited, before he was dropped in the whole December Month, United were 1 lost in 17 games if Schneiderlain started

Depay - I think it is confidences and I think It's the same Scenario as Di Maria for him. I think he needs to be given big treatment like Ronaldo had when he joined, Stop thinking he the best, being flashy, sport cars etc and start working on the pitch

Big Disagreement with your post is LVG - my rating is more like 3/10

I think he made United too defensive wise which effected the attack, when United needed goals they were too much attacking and lost the goals, big example Wolfsburg - He talked about Balance of the side when he came in, never sorted it.

He did have players at his disposal but kept changing the starting line ups - I think United only once had an unchanged team during the season - that looks awful

Like I said LvG last year built a team and this season destroyed it

I don't credit him with the youth players, If the senior players all were fit, would the youth got a chance? Rashford would never of been found and he risked not putting him in the squad vs Norwich

I think United would of lost De Gea if he stayed

I never understand why in 90% of the matches the LB or RB had to be subbed during the game

Never understand why Blind taking the corners - no CB in history of PL has been taking corners

Never understand the free kicks, when a player has the step over the ball before the other 1 takes, never fools anyone ad that player could be in affect the wall or running in if the keeper drops it

LVG sacked, official announcement at 1pm when the New York stock exchange opens.

Welcome to the new saviour Mourinho! Silverware, big name signings and total domination are on its way!

I bet the United stocks rise when the stock exchange opens and rises more when Mourinho is appointed

I await to see what his plans/transfers are this summer

The Smalling/Blind partnership is not fine, our defensive record is somehow very good but it doesn't take into account the luck we've had, De Gea has saved us numerous times and players have missed sitters against us. The first thing Mourinho will do is buy a CB to replace Blind, he's not a CB and never will be. He lacks pace massively and he's only about 5'11 so he gets dominated in air. If we want to succeed again and challenge for league titles and have a crack at Europe that man is nowhere near good enough for United's defence.

We have been brilliant defensively. I don't think we need to add anything to this defense. We need to keep in mind that this was their first season together and it can only get better from here.

Schneiderlin and Rooney in the midfield is mouthwatering. 

I honestly think this United side is a pretty good one. Get a winger and Ibra. We are good to go IMO.

If you think we don't need to add to the defence, you're deluded. A good United side? You're trolling.

I'd rather talk with evidence than just attacking without any concrete argument. We have the joint best defensive record in the league. Blind has stats that are better than Ramos,Otamendi,Thiago Silva and Boateng and rightly so, He's been unbelievable. Smalling's contribution has already been recognized so no need to add here. This is their first season together and it will only get better from here.

Shaw at LB is as good as you get. I won't mind a back up option as CBJ isn't good enough. At least for the time being.

Darmian showed good early promise and he deserves another season rather than quickly shipping him out and bringing another RB in and then starting all over again.

So where exactly in your opinion do we need to add? 

I'm delighted he's off. However, he has sorted out the defense and that's what he deserves credit for.

Again, you don't want to give Schneiderlin time. Rooney is a given in the side at CM the way he's playing. We've got Herrera,Basti and Fellaini. Where do you want to fit in another midfielder?

A centre back is the biggest priority we need. No I like Schniderlen but we still need a CM because Herrera has had to many chances and doesn't contribute anything, Fellaini can be decent but he's never a United player and Basti is to injury probed to rely on. Carrick's contract needs addressing ASAP.

I'd rather talk with evidence than just attacking without any concrete argument. We have the joint best defensive record in the league. Blind has stats that are better than Ramos,Otamendi,Thiago Silva and Boateng and rightly so, He's been unbelievable. Smalling's contribution has already been recognized so no need to add here. This is their first season together and it will only get better from here.

Shaw at LB is as good as you get. I won't mind a back up option as CBJ isn't good enough. At least for the time being.

Darmian showed good early promise and he deserves another season rather than quickly shipping him out and bringing another RB in and then starting all over again.

So where exactly in your opinion do we need to add? 

Tbh Boateng has been in/out of the team, Ramos been his hot headed self, Silva well don't rate highly, Otamendi been a joke at City

Joint best defence in the league but you need to remember how much De Gea saved him and Smalling. Example United could of been 4-0 down at half time vs West Ham or in the Europa cup, United could of been 6-0 down and there many many other games Like Everton in the FA Cup, Lukaku could of got how many goals?

Raahizar, here is a question, If Smalling and Blind partnership had an Average goalkeepers in goal, would they have had the joint best defence record? would they be anywhere near top 4?

Forwards are going to try pull themselves on Blind, which Smalling is going push off Blind and that overworking Smalling and messing up the defence

This is what I am hoping

De Gea

Drmain Smalling CB Shaw

DCM

Rooney Creative CM

RW    Striker   Martial

Keep - Castro, Blind, Lingard, Valencia, Schneiderlain, Depay, Rashford, Fosu-Mensah, CBJ, Carrick, Jones(if he can stay fit)

Sell - Felliani, Rojo, Mata, Herrera, Schweinsteiger, Young

Loan - Pereira, Januzaj, Wilson, Keane, Mcnair, Varela

Mourinho might add more players

Agree with what you're saying on the partnership and need a CB, defensive mid and creative mid. I don't know who mourinho will want to keep or sell but I would keep Youngy and probably Fellaini. I like Fellaini's aggression and Young is still a decent squad player when played in his position and not as lone striker. Depay is a tough one, very poor first season and hasn't shown really any quality but he's definitely a talent but I don't think Mourinho will like his work rate and attitude but I would keep him. I would probably sell Jones though, I don't think he will be able to keep fit he's to injury prone and he's way to reckless very similar to Rafael was, he just dives in and gives away silly free kicks that cost us. As for the loaning players you've got there. Do we still keep Januzaj? Looked a real player in the U21's and stepped up in the first team. I guess it's just a confidence issue. I'm positive Mourinho will buy a striker, and we have Rashford obviously but I would keep James Wilson around the squad, I rate him massively.

Agree with what you're saying on the partnership and need a CB, defensive mid and creative mid. I don't know who mourinho will want to keep or sell but I would keep Youngy and probably Fellaini. I like Fellaini's aggression and Young is still a decent squad player when played in his position and not as lone striker. Depay is a tough one, very poor first season and hasn't shown really any quality but he's definitely a talent but I don't think Mourinho will like his work rate and attitude but I would keep him. I would probably sell Jones though, I don't think he will be able to keep fit he's to injury prone and he's way to reckless very similar to Rafael was, he just dives in and gives away silly free kicks that cost us. As for the loaning players you've got there. Do we still keep Januzaj? Looked a real player in the U21's and stepped up in the first team. I guess it's just a confidence issue. I'm positive Mourinho will buy a striker, and we have Rashford obviously but I would keep James Wilson around the squad, I rate him massively.

Now I gonna say your lost ur mind - Keep Fellaini? you serious? He's a liability with his arm and Elbows plus something do a dirty tackle

Young has past his peak - he an average player now

Januzaj and Wilson will need game time and atm I cant see that at United unless Mourinho does, LvG promised Pereira game time and that never happened, I be happy to Loan him after the Olympics

What Raahizar said - Blind is statistically better than most other defenders, and here's why.

Intelligence: Blind's intelligent game complements Smalling's power-based game perfectly. Against your average front line, you mostly see Smalling almost effortlessly taking on the opponent's front line, yet every game there are a handful of instances where he is blatantly caught out of position, albeit by great attacking play, but for Blind to be covering him excellently, and being able to neutralise the attack in the process. Fact of the matter is this: were it not for Blind, United would have not had their impressive defensive record (especially at home) this season, and although you could say the same for Smalling, defenders like him are easier to come by.

Stats wise, Blind trumps Smalling in all departments bar heading, which is hardly surprising. Blind's tackling has got a 50% success rate, which is in the upper margins of world football, and that as a defensive midfielder "played out of position". To compare, Diego Godin, who for me is the best defender in the world right now, has got a 53% success rate. Huth and Alderweireld, arguably the two best centre backs this season, both have a 48% success rate. Conclusion? Blind is not as bad as many make him out to be. If anything, he's pretty damn good.

To add, his "take on" percentage is ridiculous for a defender playing in a fast-paced league like the PL. Only Thiago Silva and David Luiz, both in the now-renamed "Mickey Mouse League", fare considerably better, with 89% each. Blind is not far behind though, with 81% success suggesting that he is more than a defender when it comes to defending, as he's actually able to contribute to the attack whilst fulfilling his defensive duties impeccably. Smalling's "take on" stat is not too shabby either, but in terms of conceding fouls, the data would suggest that he is quite a liability. 

So basically, a new centre back is by no means a priority. Every time I have been incredibly disappointed with United's defence this season, none of the defenders performed, and as I mentioned a few posts ago, it really doesn't help having a donkey like Rojo playing almost every single game. The games against Tottenham, West Ham and Arsenal were the three where Blind was noticeably shocking, and unsurprisingly United were mauled each time. And as some already mentioned, Darmian can be pardoned for having moments of "first season syndrome", but in Rojo's case it has to signal the end of the road.

Priority is a new full back, a winger and a forward.

He is a liability and he's nowhere near good enough for United but we lack aggression, we lack height and we lack power I'm sure Mourinho will fix that anyway. I wouldn't be sad if Fellaini went or anything. Young I still like he was fantastic in pre season he was our best player in fact, I'm not saying his starts but as back up he's decent.

So are the stats lying? Is that what you're saying? 

Here's what I'm saying: United can perfectly operate with Smalling and Blind flanked by two consistent full-backs. Shaw could be one of them if injury permits, and ideally Darmian should be the other, although Valencia has impressed these past couple of weeks. This season, the Smalling-Blind partnership has had Valencia, Varela, Darmian, Love, CBJ, Shaw, Young, McNair and God knows how many more feature beside them, and for you to tell me that, despite all that change, the partnership has not fared well is a complete joke. 

The arrival of Mourinho should signal the end of players who lack consistency, or who are simply not good enough. Obvious suspects? Rojo, Herrera, who is more often than not a complete liability in that midfield, and Young, who has severely deteriorated since recent injuries. And although I could see the latter staying in a "squad player role", he is on astronomically high wages for his actual contributions, and shipping him off to give the likes of Fosu-Mensah and Pereira would be ideal.