Official Manchester United Thread

Rishabh Desai

What Raahizar said - Blind is statistically better than most other defenders, and here's why.

Intelligence: Blind's intelligent game complements Smalling's power-based game perfectly. Against your average front line, you mostly see Smalling almost effortlessly taking on the opponent's front line, yet every game there are a handful of instances where he is blatantly caught out of position, albeit by great attacking play, but for Blind to be covering him excellently, and being able to neutralise the attack in the process. Fact of the matter is this: were it not for Blind, United would have not had their impressive defensive record (especially at home) this season, and although you could say the same for Smalling, defenders like him are easier to come by.

Stats wise, Blind trumps Smalling in all departments bar heading, which is hardly surprising. Blind's tackling has got a 50% success rate, which is in the upper margins of world football, and that as a defensive midfielder "played out of position". To compare, Diego Godin, who for me is the best defender in the world right now, has got a 53% success rate. Huth and Alderweireld, arguably the two best centre backs this season, both have a 48% success rate. Conclusion? Blind is not as bad as many make him out to be. If anything, he's pretty damn good.

To add, his "take on" percentage is ridiculous for a defender playing in a fast-paced league like the PL. Only Thiago Silva and David Luiz, both in the now-renamed "Mickey Mouse League", fare considerably better, with 89% each. Blind is not far behind though, with 81% success suggesting that he is more than a defender when it comes to defending, as he's actually able to contribute to the attack whilst fulfilling his defensive duties impeccably. Smalling's "take on" stat is not too shabby either, but in terms of conceding fouls, the data would suggest that he is quite a liability. 

So basically, a new centre back is by no means a priority. Every time I have been incredibly disappointed with United's defence this season, none of the defenders performed, and as I mentioned a few posts ago, it really doesn't help having a donkey like Rojo playing almost every single game. The games against Tottenham, West Ham and Arsenal were the three where Blind was noticeably shocking, and unsurprisingly United were mauled each time. And as some already mentioned, Darmian can be pardoned for having moments of "first season syndrome", but in Rojo's case it has to signal the end of the road.

Priority is a new full back, a winger and a forward.

I have to disagree with you

Stats sometimes doesn't show the whole story, Like debating team on paper who gonna win

Bit in Bold - Replace Blind for De Gea - De Gea who been saved United season and If not for him the defence record would be awful

Explain where was Blind in the Fa Cup game vs Everton, West ham game, Arsenal game, even Wickham disallowed goal in the FA Cup

United does need a CB

No I fully agree If those stats are correct, stats don't lie. But we've been very luck this season and talent searcher used an example, I also remember a game against Watford late in the season where we could of been 3-0 down at half time. It's an issue we won't agree on, but I'm positive Mourinho will buy a new first choice CB to pair with Smalling as Blind isn't a CB and never will be he's not good enough. If I'm wrong about it then I'm wrong. But clearly everyone agrees on Rojo being a liability, he's horrendous.

I have to disagree with you

Stats sometimes doesn't show the whole story, Like debating team on paper who gonna win

Bit in Bold - Replace Blind for De Gea - De Gea who been saved United season and If not for him the defence record would be awful

Explain where was Blind in the Fa Cup game vs Everton, West ham game, Arsenal game, even Wickham disallowed goal in the FA Cup

United does need a CB

You do realise that there is only so much a goalkeeper can do, right? Let me elaborate: a goal is eight yards long, and eight feet high. In comparison, your average goalkeeper is about six feet tall, with a stretch that could easily cover the height span. However, as a whole, the goal is far too big for any goalkeeper to be able to cover completely, meaning that, as a forward, you have the undisputed advantage.

Now, if you want to go into the nitty gritty of psychology, and lecture me on how a forward's job is "far more complicated than it would seem", be my guest, but all I am saying is that, hypothetically, the odds of a forward scoring will always be bigger than the odds of the goalkeeper saving.

To take the cup final as an example, Puncheon's shot was seemingly within De Gea's reach. However, due to the low probability of the goalkeeper correctly predicting the precise itinerary of the ball from that kind of range, De Gea could not save, as opposed to the higher probability of Puncheon hitting the target from the same range. Fast forward a bit, and Wilf Zaha had a wonderful opportunity to take the cup to London, yet it was not to be. Some would say that it was a bad first touch, followed up by an even worse second touch, and I wouldn't really disagree, but if the defender(s) had not come back to put in a crucial tackle, Daley Blind nota bene, Zaha would have been one-on-one, and would have most probably scored. In fact, I'd go to the extent of saying that, if I had ten uncontested one-on-ones with De Gea in goal, I would at least score three of them (at most five), regardless of De Gea's goalkeeping quality. And to clarify, not because I'm a half-decent footballer, but that I have so many factors in my favour, as opposed to a goalkeeper, who is almost forced to go out on a limb (no pun intended) to stand a remote chance of saving. Be my guest in arguing that as well.

When saying all of this, I by no means seek to discredit De Gea. Sticking with the cup final example, his save on Bolasie's low drive was exceptional - definitely one of the best saves I have witnessed in a cup final. And over the course of the season he has been saving United on various occasions with such antics, but to say that he's the sole reason United have conceded so few is ridiculous.

Regarding Lukaku's pen in the semis, it was an awful pen. You could tell by the run up itself where the ball was heading. Great hands to keep it out, but Lukaku should have done way better.

You do realise that there is only so much a goalkeeper can do, right? Let me elaborate: a goal is eight yards long, and eight feet high. In comparison, your average goalkeeper is about six feet tall, with a stretch that could easily cover the height span. However, as a whole, the goal is far too big for any goalkeeper to be able to cover completely, meaning that, as a forward, you have the undisputed advantage.

Now, if you want to go into the nitty gritty of psychology, and lecture me on how a forward's job is "far more complicated than it would seem", be my guest, but all I am saying is that, hypothetically, the odds of a forward scoring will always be bigger than the odds of the goalkeeper saving.

To take the cup final as an example, Puncheon's shot was seemingly within De Gea's reach. However, due to the low probability of the goalkeeper correctly predicting the precise itinerary of the ball from that kind of range, De Gea could not save, as opposed to the higher probability of Puncheon hitting the target from the same range. Fast forward a bit, and Wilf Zaha had a wonderful opportunity to take the cup to London, yet it was not to be. Some would say that it was a bad first touch, followed up by an even worse second touch, and I wouldn't disagree with that sentiment, but if the defenders had not come back to put in a crucial tackle, Daley Blind nota bene, Zaha would have been one-on-one, and would have most probably scored. In fact, I'd go to the extent of saying that, if I had ten uncontested one-on-ones with De Gea in goal, I would at least score three of them (at most five), regardless of De Gea's goalkeeping quality. And this not because I'm a half-decent footballer, but that I have so many factors in my favour, as opposed to a goalkeeper, who is almost forced to play mind games in order to stand a chance.

When saying all of this, I by no means seek to discredit De Gea. Sticking with the cup final example, his save on Bolasie's low drive was exceptional - definitely one of the best saves I have witnessed in a cup final. And over the course of the season he has been saving United on various occasions with such antics, but to say that he's the sole reason United have conceded so few is ridiculous.

Regarding Lukaku's pen in the semis, it was an awful pen. You could tell by the run up itself where the ball was heading. Great hands to keep it out, but Lukaku should have done way better.

So you saying Smalling & Blind partnership kept United in the race for top 4, Disregarding how Many times De Gea saved United

But in Bold - Didn't Blind hold on to the ball too Long and Rooney had the save him? and I see you missed out Wickham disallowed goal

In the Everton game, I meant How many times did Lukaku had the best chance of scoring, 5 times I think and who saved them? De Gea & Rooney on 1

Who Kept Carroll onside in a 1on 1 vs De Gea not so long ago, De Gea saved United

Where was Blind when Antonio scored?

If it wasn't for De Gea United prob who of conceded 15+ more goals(same amount as Liverpool) so what does that say about Smalling and Blind partnership?

Concerning Fellaini, I really think he needs to stay. Bring in a winger who can actually consistently put in good crosses, and you got yourself an irresistible combo. The fact that he's incredibly dominant, and often violent, on the pitch appeals to me (Ste G can confirm), as he makes himself a constant nuisance wherever he plays. Moreover, he is a crucial defensive asset against more physical teams, and I for one think United would have won against West Ham had it not been for his suspension. 

Moreover, if United were to sell, they'd get nowhere near the £27M they spent on him.

Concerning Fellaini, I really think he needs to stay. Bring in a winger who can actually consistently put in good crosses, and you got yourself an irresistible combo. The fact that he's incredibly dominant, and often violent, on the pitch appeals to me (Ste G can confirm), as he makes himself a constant nuisance wherever he plays. Moreover, he is a crucial defensive asset against more physical teams, and I for one think United would have won against West Ham had it not been for his suspension. 

Moreover, if United were to sell, they'd get nowhere near the £27M they spent on him.

Am I going crazy - Sell him for any price

Like Keown etc said in The FA Cup, United selecting Fellaini just based on aerial ability is how far United dropped

Fellaini a liability, when he in the box, he commits fouls to head the ball

So you saying Smalling & Blind partnership kept United in the race for top 4, Disregarding how Many times De Gea saved United

But in Bold - Didn't Blind hold on to the ball too Long and Rooney had the save him? and I see you missed out Wickham disallowed goal

In the Everton game, I meant How many times did Lukaku had the best chance of scoring, 5 times I think and who saved them? De Gea & Rooney on 1

Who Kept Carroll onside in a 1on 1 vs De Gea not so long ago, De Gea saved United

Where was Blind when Antonio scored?

If it wasn't for De Gea United prob who of conceded 15+ more goals(same amount as Liverpool) so what does that say about Smalling and Blind partnership?

Reading isn't your forte, is it?

"WHEN SAYING ALL OF THIS, I BY NO MEANS SEEK TO DISCREDIT DE GEA."

"AND OVER THE COURSE OF THE SEASON HE HAS BEEN SAVING UNITED ON VARIOUS OCCASIONS..."

Here, I'll add this:

"DAVID DE GEA IS UNITED'S MVP THIS SEASON."

However:

"BUT TO SAY THAT HE'S THE SOLE REASON UNITED HAVE CONCEDED SO FEW IS RIDICULOUS."

TRANSLATED: THE DEFENDERS HAVE ALSO HAD A MAJOR SAY IN UNITED'S DEFENSIVE RECORD.

Blind made one mistake in the Palace game, and that was, like you said, a moment where he held on for the ball a bit too long. However, intelligent defending, more specifically by holding Zaha back for a bit, ensured that that would not result in a Palace chance, albeit requiring some double-teaming with Rooney, who on the evening was fantastic, to reiterate. Stop mentioning the Wickham goal, as everyone bar Wickham turned off after Clattenburg blew the whistle. De Gea and Blind would have hardly let Wickham waltz through the way he did. End of discussion.

As for the Everton game, I recall two clear-cut chances, both of which were made significantly harder by United's responsive defence. May I also be recalled who scored Everton's goal? Surely not our lord and saviour Smalling? After all, he seems to have a knack for those, no?

Am I going crazy - Sell him for any price

Like Keown etc said in The FA Cup, United selecting Fellaini just based on aerial ability is how far United dropped

Fellaini a liability, when he in the box, he commits fouls to head the ball

Well, in a world where Lewandowski is to be flanked by Neymar and Bale at United next season, I'd be very worried if I started questioning my own sanity. Plus, Keown's word is worth nothing. Same applies to all the other irrelevant pundits with no managerial experience.

Blind made one mistake in the Palace game, and that was, like you said, a moment where he held on for the ball a bit too long. However, intelligent defending, more specifically by holding Zaha back for a bit, ensured that that would not result in a Palace chance, albeit requiring some double-teaming with Rooney, who on the evening was fantastic, to reiterate. Stop mentioning the Wickham goal, as everyone bar Wickham turned off after Clattenburg blew the whistle. De Gea and Blind would have hardly let Wickham waltz through the way he did. End of discussion.

As for the Everton game, I recall two clear-cut chances, both of which were made significantly harder by United's responsive defence. May I also be recalled who scored Everton's goal? Surely not our lord and saviour Smalling? After all, he seems to have a knack for those, no?

Not end of discussion

Wickham goal, only De Gea stopped, Blind slid in and missed the tackle completely

Long ball my Everton right at the start of the game, Blind didn't put off Lukaku and smalling was late to put in a header, All people Rooney got back and saved it

You talk about the goal, Who should of been in that position of Smalling - answer Blind

United need a new CB ad I have pointed out many games that Blind has messed up and nearly cost United

Not end of discussion

Wickham goal, only De Gea stopped, Blind slid in and missed the tackle completely

Long ball my Everton right at the start of the game, Blind didn't put off Lukaku and smalling was late to put in a header, All people Rooney got back and saved it

You talk about the goal, Who should of been in that position of Smalling - answer Blind

United need a new CB ad I have pointed out many games that Blind has messed up and nearly cost United

Everyone stopped bar Wickham - can't believe this is even being used as an example.

Blind is not supposed to be marking Lukaku, as I mentioned earlier, as that is not playing to his strengths.

As for the goal, Smalling should have been in Smalling's position, which Smalling was, but unlike Smalling, who was attempting to clear the ball with Smalling's right foot, Smalling should have cleared it with Smalling's left, or is Smalling's left leg suddenly controlled by Blind?

Don't bother replying, as there is no point preaching to the deaf.

Everyone stopped bar Wickham - can't believe this is even being used as an example.

Blind is not supposed to be marking Lukaku, as I mentioned earlier, as that is not playing to his strengths.

As for the goal, Smalling should have been in Smalling's position, which Smalling was, but unlike Smalling, who was attempting to clear the ball with Smalling's right foot, Smalling should have cleared it with Smalling's left, or is Smalling's left leg suddenly controlled by Blind?

Don't bother replying, as there is no point preaching to the deaf.

I think the Left side Centre Back should of been in Smalling Position which was Blind

I can name many many more examples, United need a new CB

I wasn't to much dismissing your opinion it would be more the fact there was just to much and I'm tired but in comparison between the two players. Both have been playing defensive roles for the team and I would be pretty adamant that Morgan has averaged more tackles, interceptions, clearances and blocks per game. But you would say that would be expected because he's more a breaker of play than Basti. Attacking wise.. I can't remember either player registering an assist and by memory I can only think that both players have scored 1 goal. Basti will probably have a high average of passes played but Morgan will probably have a better percentage rate of successful passes. As for cost, yes Basti was a cheaper but that's down to age and came from the Bundesliga and purely the fact Bayern didn't want him anymore, knew he was injury prone and was nowhere near the player he once was. Morgan came from Southampton a team in the PL a team in recent years who have developed or produced players and made a lot of profit selling them on, sadly he hasn't been half the player at United he was at Southampton but it's easier to stand out in teams like that compared to playing in a United shirt. You're correct on Basti being a winner and having vital experience he has a proven track record but I'm yet to see any of it used. Both players have had injury problems this season but Morgan has made more appearances aswell.

It was dismissive but my point stands. Schneiderlin and Schweiny are different players but as a DM Schneiderlin has been less successful than Schweiny as a CM when they have played IMO. Schneiderlin may have played more but I can't criticise him too much for being injured, no more than I can criticise Shaw. I stand by my ratings.

One of Chicharito and RvP should've been at United. The players transfer in made sense but going out didn't made any sense to me. You sell 2 of your 3 strikers when you know that the third (Rooney) is no longer a striker but a midfielder, Sell player like Rafael for just 2m, send out a brilliant youth prospect like Januzaj on loan and probably if the paper work completed in time.... DAVID DE GEA to Real Madrid?

RVP needed to go and that was 100% the correct decision and Hernandez has probably found his level now in Germany. He was a great super sub and definitely needed replacing one sold as we have been woefully short upfront since his departure but at the same time we wouldn't have seen Rashford this season IMO with Hernandez at the club.

You mention low attacking options, don't forget he also sold Nani and loaned James Wilson to Brighton. And didn't buy anyone to cover selling RVP and Hernandez you're right. I'm sure I remember watching a press conference in the January transfer window where he said he won't buy players if we already have better players in our squad, what a joke that was. The man had to go.

Nani was far too inconsistent he had an outstanding season but he's not a top winger. James Wilson I was dissappointed to see him out on loan. I think he showed promise and would have liked to see him get some cup games.

As a rival team supporter, I am genuinely 1000% mroe worried about United next season under Mou vs LVG. I hate Mou but say what you want about the loser, he gets it done. United back into the mix with his signing alone imo. Fancy them to take Spurs place in the top 4 next season along with Chelsea bouncing back (no offence to leicester but id wager that will be at your expense)

My non United fan friends echo this reaction. I am happy that we will have him as I do believe we can win titles under him my only concern is the longevity of his reign. 

Welcome back Ben C - some old faces are returning slowly

Fair assessment of the season but some I kinda disagree

Points on Darmain, seem to forget during the middle/end of season - Valera, Fosu-Mensah was in his RB spot while he sat on the bench, that could of demotivated him as he is an international player and being pushed out by inexperienced players, Also you mention Valencia poor at crosses - game vs Villa

Blind and Smalling - Partnership looks fine but United were too defensive, scared to lose a goal. Forwards are trying to put themselves onto Blind, which Smalling tries to take the forward off him which messes up the defence  at times

Schweinsteiger and Schneiderlain debate - I actually think Schneiderlain has done a bit more than credited, before he was dropped in the whole December Month, United were 1 lost in 17 games if Schneiderlain started

Depay - I think it is confidences and I think It's the same Scenario as Di Maria for him. I think he needs to be given big treatment like Ronaldo had when he joined, Stop thinking he the best, being flashy, sport cars etc and start working on the pitch

Big Disagreement with your post is LVG - my rating is more like 3/10

I think he made United too defensive wise which effected the attack, when United needed goals they were too much attacking and lost the goals, big example Wolfsburg - He talked about Balance of the side when he came in, never sorted it.

He did have players at his disposal but kept changing the starting line ups - I think United only once had an unchanged team during the season - that looks awful

Like I said LvG last year built a team and this season destroyed it

I don't credit him with the youth players, If the senior players all were fit, would the youth got a chance? Rashford would never of been found and he risked not putting him in the squad vs Norwich

I think United would of lost De Gea if he stayed

I never understand why in 90% of the matches the LB or RB had to be subbed during the game

Never understand why Blind taking the corners - no CB in history of PL has been taking corners

Never understand the free kicks, when a player has the step over the ball before the other 1 takes, never fools anyone ad that player could be in affect the wall or running in if the keeper drops it

Varela and Fosu Mensah deserved to be ahead of him at the time and put in some good performances.

I've seen Blind and Smalling week in week out and this whole 'forwards target Blind' idea is a load of rubbish. Don't believe what you read watch what you see. Blind has been fantastic against pretty much every striker in the league.

RE: LVG the whole point of having a thin squad is that it means youth players get the chance if there is injuries. That's kind of the whole idea behind youth development, you trust them to fill in the numbers when needed.

Our LB and RB were subbed because in our system they do the most work. Blind is shamefully one of our better deliverers of the ball also his lack of height means there is no point putting him in the box. The free kicks annoy me too.

The Smalling/Blind partnership is not fine, our defensive record is somehow very good but it doesn't take into account the luck we've had, De Gea has saved us numerous times and players have missed sitters against us. The first thing Mourinho will do is buy a CB to replace Blind, he's not a CB and never will be. He lacks pace massively and he's only about 5'11 so he gets dominated in air. If we want to succeed again and challenge for league titles and have a crack at Europe that man is nowhere near good enough for United's defence.

It's somehow very good because our CB's have been very good. He is a CB, he had been all season and he's performed consistently well all season. I can't think of one example when Blind has been dominated in the air that has lead to a goal.

We have been brilliant defensively. I don't think we need to add anything to this defense. We need to keep in mind that this was their first season together and it can only get better from here.

Schneiderlin and Rooney in the midfield is mouthwatering. 

I honestly think this United side is a pretty good one. Get a winger and Ibra. We are good to go IMO.

Schneiderlin and Rooney really isn't mouthwatering unless the thought of it has given you brain damage when you think we used to have Keane and Scholes.

If you think we don't need to add to the defence, you're deluded. A good United side? You're trolling.

We definitely need to add to the defence, but not necessarily a new first choice CB.

Tbh Boateng has been in/out of the team, Ramos been his hot headed self, Silva well don't rate highly, Otamendi been a joke at City

Joint best defence in the league but you need to remember how much De Gea saved him and Smalling. Example United could of been 4-0 down at half time vs West Ham or in the Europa cup, United could of been 6-0 down and there many many other games Like Everton in the FA Cup, Lukaku could of got how many goals?

Raahizar, here is a question, If Smalling and Blind partnership had an Average goalkeepers in goal, would they have had the joint best defence record? would they be anywhere near top 4?

Forwards are going to try pull themselves on Blind, which Smalling is going push off Blind and that overworking Smalling and messing up the defence

This is what I am hoping

De Gea

Drmain Smalling CB Shaw

DCM

Rooney Creative CM

RW    Striker   Martial

Keep - Castro, Blind, Lingard, Valencia, Schneiderlain, Depay, Rashford, Fosu-Mensah, CBJ, Carrick, Jones(if he can stay fit)

Sell - Felliani, Rojo, Mata, Herrera, Schweinsteiger, Young

Loan - Pereira, Januzaj, Wilson, Keane, Mcnair, Varela

Mourinho might add more players

So you want a new CB, DM, CM, RW and ST in one window? All of them first team players too? 

Other than Ibrahimovic at ST I don't see any obvious candidates for CB, DM, CM and RW. Who would you go for?

He has the least amount of errors than any other defender in the BPL so yeah go on name those "many many more examples"

... Yup

He has the least amount of errors than any other defender in the BPL so yeah go on name those "many many more examples"

Swansea - 1st goal, He should of closed down Sigurosson and stopped his cross

Swansea  - 2nd Goal, Should of closed down Ayew

Southampton - 1st goal, I know it prob couldn't of been stopped but even Carrick outruns him to try stop Mane

Southampton - Pelle just put the ball wide, Pelle easily spins Blind and has a shot

Southampton - 2nd goal, Pelle easily Header the ball, Blind wasn't even in his position, he was out trying to block Mane cross

Norwich -  1st goal, He let Redmond run and Blind was so far in Norwich's half

Midtjylland(5-1) - Goal, Sisto easy turns Blind

Midtjylland(2-1) - Blind was beat from a corner, which was cleared off the line

West Ham - Kept Carroll onside for a 1 on 1 vs De Gea

Everton - Build up to Pen, Lukaku easily held off Blind and got his pass to Barkley

Everton - Goal, Blind should of been in that positon

:D I rest my case, United need a new CB

Swansea - 1st goal, He should of closed down Sigurosson and stopped his cross

Swansea  - 2nd Goal, Should of closed down Ayew

Southampton - 1st goal, I know it prob couldn't of been stopped but even Carrick outruns him to try stop Mane

Southampton - Pelle just put the ball wide, Pelle easily spins Blind and has a shot

Southampton - 2nd goal, Pelle easily Header the ball, Blind wasn't even in his position, he was out trying to block Mane cross

Norwich -  1st goal, He let Redmond run and Blind was so far in Norwich's half

Midtjylland(5-1) - Goal, Sisto easy turns Blind

Midtjylland(2-1) - Blind was beat from a corner, which was cleared off the line

West Ham - Kept Carroll onside for a 1 on 1 vs De Gea

Everton - Build up to Pen, Lukaku easily held off Blind and got his pass to Barkley

Everton - Goal, Blind should of been in that positon

:D I rest my case, United need a new CB

Don't you think Squwaka(Spelling) is more believable than your should havs?

Rooney of the last few games and Schneiderlin of Southampton is indeed a mouthwatering combination. They just need to be at their very best.

Rooney has not been a sudden revelation in midfield though? I think he is very lucky that Mourinho will want to get the best out of him and has always wanted to work with him because I don't think he'll be part of a solution. He has hit diagonal balls with varying degrees of success and yes I will permit you that he has had one very good game in midfield against Bournmouth. I do not think his FA Cup performance was anything other than ok and the only reason is his dribble and cross resulted in the Mata goal, the rest of his play was below what I'd expect for someone on £300,000 a week.

Varela and Fosu Mensah deserved to be ahead of him at the time and put in some good performances.

I've seen Blind and Smalling week in week out and this whole 'forwards target Blind' idea is a load of rubbish. Don't believe what you read watch what you see. Blind has been fantastic against pretty much every striker in the league.

RE: LVG the whole point of having a thin squad is that it means youth players get the chance if there is injuries. That's kind of the whole idea behind youth development, you trust them to fill in the numbers when needed.

Our LB and RB were subbed because in our system they do the most work. Blind is shamefully one of our better deliverers of the ball also his lack of height means there is no point putting him in the box. The free kicks annoy me too.

So you want a new CB, DM, CM, RW and ST in one window? All of them first team players too? 

Other than Ibrahimovic at ST I don't see any obvious candidates for CB, DM, CM and RW. Who would you go for?

Raise some points

About Varela and Mensah, Wouldn't it Demotivate Darmain that a full international isn't getting picked?

I do think they target Blind, he struggled vs Lukaku but you see Smalling trying to attach himself on the striker but the striker trying to attach himself on Blind so defence could and has been messed up

Thin squad doesn't work nowadays with the 50+ games, I understand the RB/LB your talking about, Blind I still question on Corners, don't see him delivering well, sometime cant beat 1st man

We Do need to fill 5 positions, and I would say all first team

CB - to replace Blind

DM - Strong protector but Idk if Blind or Schneiderlain can fit there

CM - United crying out for some creativity

Rw-  Defo must as no 1 sticks to the right, when Rooney etc looking at the right, no 1 there or Valencia/Darmain has to keep running up n down the pitch

ST - experienced goalscorer

Who ever I say United could go after, I get stick, shocked Ashtini has commented

CB - Varane, Marquinhos, Stones

DM - Tough only people out there atm is W. Carvalho, Krychowiak or Kante

CM - Love to get Modric buy Ik won't happen, hard to think of a player, rumours Mourinho want Ozil

RW- seems United after Joao Mario, but can United hit the jackpot in Ronaldo?

ST - seems Ibra coming, Morata, Aubameyang, Gabriel Jesus, Icardi

I don't really care who we sign because I think Mourinho will improve the players massively. Players like Aubameyang won't happen I think Jose is a big draw for world class players but I think United aren't right now without CL. There's also lots of players out there who are better than what we have and their not massive names. To be honest I would be happy pinching players in the prem that just do their job, feet on the ground no ego players. I can't see Jose having a problem improving our team.

I don't really care who we sign because I think Mourinho will improve the players massively. Players like Aubameyang won't happen I think Jose is a big draw for world class players but I think United aren't right now without CL. There's also lots of players out there who are better than what we have and their not massive names. To be honest I would be happy pinching players in the prem that just do their job, feet on the ground no ego players. I can't see Jose having a problem improving our team.

All I have to reply is Di Maria

I do think we need to inject some pace, creativity and a spine into the squad

I think we have 1 ego player that needs to get his feet on the ground - Depay

Honestly priority for United is a Striker. And Ibra is coming to fill that hole. Finally Zlatan in Epl. Yeahhh!

Jose likes 3 in front. He likes wingers with pace. He's had that in all his clubs. At Inter his plans failed though. :P

But the pace of Mata reminds me of Quaresma at Inter seriously. So I guess a new winger will also come in.

About the defence conversation that took place here. Jose doesn't rotate his squad, he keeps a very intact squad so with that in consideration, I can't see him buying a new CB. Smalling, Blind and Jones, there is a very low chance to see a new CB arrive. Unless one of the above leaves.