Official Manchester United Thread

Rishabh Desai

Honestly priority for United is a Striker. And Ibra is coming to fill that hole. Finally Zlatan in Epl. Yeahhh!

Jose likes 3 in front. He likes wingers with pace. He's had that in all his clubs. At Inter his plans failed though. :P

But the pace of Mata reminds me of Quaresma at Inter seriously. So I guess a new winger will also come in.

About the defence conversation that took place here. Jose doesn't rotate his squad, he keeps a very intact squad so with that in consideration, I can't see him buying a new CB. Smalling, Blind and Jones, there is a very low chance to see a new CB arrive. Unless one of the above leaves.

All true and You mention a main point that I kept saying but LvG never did - Bold bit

I can see him adding 1 CB, It's crying out for 1 as I don't rate Blind

Nice to see the voice of reason back in Ben.

I have to agree with the midfield pairing of Rooney and Schneiderlin, I wouldn't be too excited by that if I was a Untied fan. Hardly the pairing to strike fear into the rest of the big guns in Europe. Rooney being able to pass a ball a long way on occasion a Scholes it doesn't make him.

The CM pairing seems to be the position that throws up more questions than answers out of any need for your team. 

Aloysius, or should I call him Louis again, leaves United with a very dignified statement.

http://www.manutd.com/en/News-And-Features/Football-News/2016/May/Louis-van-Gaal-releases-statement-after-leaving-manchester-united.aspx

As for Rooney with Schneiderlin, it's an absolute no-no. Whilst I disagree with Ben on the subject of Rooney's performance in the final, which I thought was very good, I do agree that most of his midfield performances have been very poor bar a select few. Plus, in my opinion it is too risky to play a hot-head like him in that central midfield permanently, as he often has the tendency to lash out when doing defensive work. Ergo, assuming that Mata isn't going to stay for long, Rooney would become the #1 choice for the CAM spot, supported by two midfield engines, one of them being Schneiderlin, and the other one TBD.

On the subject of Schneiderlin, he is the player I think will benefit the most from Mourinho's regime. Technically gifted and dexterous in that supporting midfield role, I can see the team being built around him, with a more attacking, yet defensively apt midfielder playing at his side. Whether or not that will be Herrera is to be seen, although I really think United should accept a good offer for him, considering how Juventus and Atletico are rumoured to be interested.

So the old fashion messiah has got the old he hoe. The man with the master plan that needed time to lead us to the glory days, (rolls eyes). The only thing he was leading us to was mid table.

Let's see how we go under the special one. I am by no means his biggest fan, nor do I agree with the things he does, or has done in the past, But the guy Is a proven winner wherever he has been. I think there is brighter days ahead for United. I think we will also attract more better players then what we have under LVG.

I'm pumped for the new season under Mourinho. Glory glory man united.

(Jealous ashtini?)

With Rui Faria to be Mourinho assistant again that leaves Giggs out in the cold, not that anyone thought Mourinho would have Giggs be his assistant .

I think Giggs would be better off parting with United and moving to a lower league club to begin his management apprenticeship.

Rumoured €38M bid rejected for Varane.

With Rui Faria to be Mourinho assistant again that leaves Giggs out in the cold, not that anyone thought Mourinho would have Giggs be his assistant .

I think Giggs would be better off parting with United and moving to a lower league club to begin his management apprenticeship.

Rumoured €38M bid rejected for Varane.

Board and Mourinho want Giggs to have a role at the Club but the balls in Giggs court

I think needs to do a G Neville - Go Out and test himself

Haven't heard that rumour atm but we need a CB like Varane

Ok so say I humour you all with this idea of 5 signings in one window (something I doubt will happen) I genuinely struggle to come up with some realistic names.

I think there are only a handful of players that fit the requirements others have laid out so I would argue if we're going to say 5 we might be looking for players like:

CB - Varane, Stones, Oxford

• Varane is at a good age with plenty of experience but I think he might be playing us to get a better contract. Likelihood 5/10
  • Stones again good age and Mourinho likes him but I think he's less reliable than Blind so more one for the future than a starter which for the reported fees £40m etc would be silly. To be honest I think there's more chance of him moving to Manchester City where he'd be a starter and working under a manager who would appreciate his passing quality. Likelihood 2/10
  • Oxford, young with decent potential and a good physique might be a nicer alternative for a lot less? Likelihood 2/10

DM - Matic 

• Matic is only here because no-one springs to mind and I think realisticaly Mourinho will try and sort Schneiderlin out before signing anyone. Likelihood 1/10

CM - James

• It stinks of a Mendes transfer but I don't want it to happen and I sort of doubt it would. I really do think there is a dearth of candidates for CM that are remotely plausible. Likelihood 4/10

RW- Joao Mario, Sane, Mane

• Mario is someone I know very little about but I keep hearing his name banded about. Likelihood 3/10
  • Sane decent young player with pace possible. Likelihood 3/10
  • Mane good little player IMO but not sure what Mourinho would think. Likelihood 3/10

ST - Ibrahimovic, Benzema

• Ibra I think is most realistic out of all listed. It would seem to be the most natural fit for the player to come to a top English club to prove himself rather than semi retiring at a poor league which doesn't seem his style. 7/10
  • Benzema is someone I don't think Real will be too unhappy about losing but I don't see it happening despite report. 2/10

To be honest I think RW and CM are almost impossible to predict but I would argue that next season we could feasibly line up like this:

De Gea

Valencia Smalling Blind/Varane Shaw

Schneiderlin

Rooney James/New CM

New RW Ibrahimovic Martial

I do think another CM, Wing and ST will come but who the winger would be I don't know!

Ok so say I humour you all with this idea of 5 signings in one window (something I doubt will happen) I genuinely struggle to come up with some realistic names.

To be honest I think RW and CM are almost impossible to predict but I would argue that next season we could feasibly line up like this:

De Gea

Valencia Smalling Blind/Varane Shaw

Schneiderlin

Rooney James/New CM

New RW Ibrahimovic Martial

I do think another CM, Wing and ST will come but who the winger would be I don't know!

Last 2 transfer windows - 14/15 signed 6, not counting Valdes 15/16 signed 4, not counting Romero  - so why can't United sign 5 first team players, Euro's/Olympics will affect the Window as not much action will happen

Sell at Least Rojo and Fellaini

I agreed with Redknapp - United needs a work Engine in the Midfield like a Pogba. Like when Chelsea of Old had fat Frank and Essien(before injury)

Last 2 transfer windows - 14/15 signed 6, not counting Valdes 15/16 signed 4, not counting Romero  - so why can't United sign 5 first team players, Euro's/Olympics will affect the Window as not much action will happen

Sell at Least Rojo and Fellaini

I agreed with Redknapp - United needs a work Engine in the Midfield like a Pogba. Like when Chelsea of Old had fat Frank and Essien(before injury)

I don't see us signing 5 new players 3/4 yes but not 5 first teamers. I don't really think we need 5 tbh. I'd be happy enough with a CM, Wing and ST if they were quality additions.

Pogba would be ideal but it's never happening in a million years.

I'm here to learn from and debate with the people who know Manchester United better 

Always liked the club, probably because of the vague memories of Ronaldo's dominance back in the days when I barely watched football - did probably always select United on FIFA precisely because of Ronaldo 

Interested to see which way this club is going - they've reached 5th, 4th, and 7th since Alex Ferguson left - that's simply not good enough for a club with such supreme financial infrastructure behind it 

I'm here to learn from and debate with the people who know Manchester United better 

Always liked the club, probably because of the vague memories of Ronaldo's dominance back in the days when I barely watched football - did probably always select United on FIFA precisely because of Ronaldo 

Interested to see which way this club is going - they've reached 5th, 4th, and 7th since Alex Ferguson left - that's simply not good enough for a club with such supreme financial infrastructure behind it 

Pretty sure you said you supported Chelsea last season and Tottenham before that :P

I think Ibra looks like it will happen once Mourinho has signed, I'm looking forward to him playing in the PL finally.

I see a lot of wingers touted above but who's to say they will do better then what you have already. Depay was banded about in the same way the above have been.

I think with the right manager and game time Depay can still be a big hit with United.

Depay-Ibra-Martial is a pretty decent attack line to me with pace either side of Ibra.

I said yesterday about wanting players with their feet on the ground but Zlatan is different. He's exactly what we need, a tall, strong, powerful all round out and out striker. He's got an ego and he's full of arrogance and confidence but he's ridiculously talented and that's exactly what we need. He will bring the best out of the team and demand more and more.

Pretty sure you said you supported Chelsea last season and Tottenham before that :P

I did. 

See, as a non-Brit, I don't care for local rivalries and thus support teams based on players I like (or the occasional manager) - apologies if that offends your sensibilities. I won't change in that respect though :)

No one really aside from Mourinho to pull me at United of the current squad but let's see if that'll change over time. 

I said yesterday about wanting players with their feet on the ground but Zlatan is different. He's exactly what we need, a tall, strong, powerful all round out and out striker. He's got an ego and he's full of arrogance and confidence but he's ridiculously talented and that's exactly what we need. He will bring the best out of the team and demand more and more.

I'd preferrably bring someone in a different age range but considering the options available given the club's current standing - with no champions league football - he might be the best striker available to us

Berbatov was 30 when United signed him - Berbatov main attributes was Control, First touch, Eye of goal. Ibra is kinda the same but he offers more attributes

Rumours saying that United are sorting out 5 signings - 2 of them are Mourinho and Ibra

Rumours also saying that Valencia, Januzaj and Schweinsteiger could be axed

Just want Mourinho to axed Rojo and Fellaini

No one really aside from Mourinho to pull me at United of the current squad but let's see if that'll change over time. 

What about De Gea? I absolutely hate United, and for that reason hated every single player that's ever played for them..  Except De Gea, best GK in the world and great professional.

Berbatov was 30 when United signed him - Berbatov main attributes was Control, First touch, Eye of goal. Ibra is kinda the same but he offers more attributes

Rumours saying that United are sorting out 5 signings - 2 of them are Mourinho and Ibra

Rumours also saying that Valencia, Januzaj and Schweinsteiger could be axed

Just want Mourinho to axed Rojo and Fellaini

Good point about Berbatov, 30 is classed 'old' but that's hitting your prime but Ibra isn't 30.. He's 35 this year! How many 35 year old strikers do you see playing at a high level? Not many but the man is still class on a free. And I'm not going to believe any rumours on who Mourinho wants to flog I'm just going to wait and see what he does but we all agree Rojo has to go!

Good point about Berbatov, 30 is classed 'old' but that's hitting your prime but Ibra isn't 30.. He's 35 this year! How many 35 year old strikers do you see playing at a high level? Not many but the man is still class on a free. And I'm not going to believe any rumours on who Mourinho wants to flog I'm just going to wait and see what he does but we all agree Rojo has to go!

Giggs and Scholes were Ibra age and still going good, Sometimes Pundits thought Giggs had the legs of a 20-25yrs od player

Williamhill are taking bets on who Mourinho will sell - 9/2 on Fellaini that the great price as I want him to go

According to Williamhill, United were 4th favourites to win league, Now 2nd Favourites

What about De Gea? I absolutely hate United, and for that reason hated every single player that's ever played for them..  Except De Gea, best GK in the world and great professional.

Forgot he existed for a second - yeah he's alright. I still would like to see an attacking player to excite me though - Martial is alright, but more efficient than flashy and I'd really like to have a top quality flashy player to get behind.

One can always dream of someone like Neymar...

--

That being said, another weird thing that's going to happen here is that Liverpool is probably now going to be my second favorite club along with United - absolutely loving what Klopp is doing there - And so, what an odd combination for me to have...

Giggs and Scholes played in the middle of the park, well giggs did as he got older but they were use to the pace and toughness of the PL. Zlatan has played all over Europe but his last few years have been spent in the French league which is probably the poorest league out of the major Europeans. I have a feeling he might keep Fellaini but who knows? Who knows what's going through Jose's head?

Forgot he existed for a second - yeah he's alright. I still would like to see an attacking player to excite me though - Martial is alright, but more efficient than flashy and I'd really like to have a top quality flashy player to get behind.

One can always dream of someone like Neymar...

I think Rashford, Depay, Martial can all be flashy but in England It's hard to produce flashy stuff as opponents will tactically even double team on the guy or even give the away a foul to let him know