Official Manchester United Thread

Rishabh Desai

RE: Is Blind very good or not?

He's slow and weaker than most and doesn't fit the traditional mould of CB in the PL BUT despite that he's been a great success for United there and I can only think of one reason not to include him as a CB and that is set pieces where, and I will concede this point, he is not as effective but I think people are seriously overrating the difference between someone being 5ft 11 and being 6ft 0. (Queue jokes about size mattering and an inch)

I've seen him week in week out at OT and I don't see how people argue he's always physically dominated (he's not) or that he's not quick enough (he is). When one on one I've rarely seen a player ghost past him and even in aerial duels he often tends to be able to recover the ball once it is on the ground.

He makes up for his physical weaknesses with a very sharp mind and tactical awareness and is an excellent passer from the back. He has on several occasions played excellent passes that bypass the midfield and reach strikers creating a speedier transition and faster football at times. I don't see the need to get rid of him.

See, this is what I detest about Mourinho, the fact that a player has to be a "Mourinho-type of player" to thrive under his management. Just shows you how inept he is in comparison with Guardiola and Ferguson, unless of course he ditches these "player ideals" whilst being coach of United, in which case my hatred for his style of management might disappear.

I do however understand that Jose Mourinho will not want a slightly shorter defender in the PL. If you look historically at his management selections his main CB pairings have always been a 6ft and 6ft 2 player alongside each other (google it if you don't believe me!) with his Chelsea 2nd stint being the only exception as Cahill if 6ft 4"

FC Porto

Carvahlo 6ft 0"

Jorge Costa 6ft 2"

Chelsea

Carvahlo 6ft 0"

John Terry 6ft 2"

Inter Milan

Samuel 6ft 0"

Lucio 6ft 2"

Real Madrid

Ramos 6ft 0"

Pepe 6ft 2"

Chelsea

Cahill 6ft 4"

John Terry 6ft 2"

Manchester United

Chris Smalling 6ft 4"

Daley Blind 5ft 11"

I suppose the biggest difference here then is not really the height or size of Blind, which we've already established is only 1 inch difference, but it is that Blind is a defender completely unlike any that Mourinho has ever trusted. He has always had tacklers and physically decent men and does not like them to act as playmakers. So from this perspective I can completely understand why Mourinho might wish to replace him even though Blind is a very good CB IMO and his reasons for doing so would be perfectly acceptable.

In conclusion, I don't think that this makes Mourinho an inept manager I think he just knows the style he wants and he wants his defenders to prevent goals above all else.

Other than sticking up for Blind because he rates him, Ben has basically struck the point I was making a few days ago about he isn't a Mourinho CB, and to be honest I don't think he would make starting CB for many teams unless height isn't a problem and the team are obsessed with building from the back (Barcelona) Jose might not even sell him yet but I'm sure he won't be a starting CB that's for sure.

Other than sticking up for Blind because he rates him, Ben has basically struck the point I was making a few days ago about he isn't a Mourinho CB, and to be honest I don't think he would make starting CB for many teams unless height isn't a problem and the team are obsessed with building from the back (Barcelona) Jose might not even sell him yet but I'm sure he won't be a starting CB that's for sure.

Jose likes having a third CB who plays at RB or LB if possible, a big reason for this is set piece defending which Jose believes when executed right leads to 0 conceded goals.

Blind could occupy a fullback or DM position though if he is so tactically supreme that him slowing down play doesn't bother Jose enough

As for ball-playing CBs, Jose doesn't really find that particularly important given the way he has wanted his teams playing. I think on the whole he prefers the midfielder come down rather than a CB take risks and pass through the middle. The CB must make non-risky passes to the wings or let Matic/Fabregas type player come down and pass the ball forward

Blind is far more suited to a manager like Guardiola or as a player for a team like Barcelona if he is to play CB

Apparently Giggs has chosen to leave United. Right choice for him if true, very sad that United would lose such an asset though.

Just wondering, who here is from England (or the rest of Europe).

Think perspectives depend a lot on where everyone is currently in terms of location.

I for example am in Finland

You do realize you have asked this question in the United thread?!

There are no Untied fans from Manchester, let alone England!

Apparently Giggs has chosen to leave United. Right choice for him if true, very sad that United would lose such an asset though.

You do realize you have asked this question in the United thread?!

There are no Untied fans from Manchester, let alone England!

Giggs should go, try out management like G Neville did

I'm from England

Ince, Keane, Mascherano, Matuidi, Essien, De Jong, Davids, Dunga, Matthaus, Cambiasso.

All listed as similar heights to Blind, not sure why you need to be tall to be a good DM.

Manolas meant to be be completed, guess we'll see how good he actually is if he does sign.

It was more a reference to Jose's style of DM and it's irrelevant trying to list these players in an argument for Blind because Blind isn't good enough to lace their boots.

Makelele, Essien and Cambiasso were DM's for Jose. 

Where did I mention Blind being as good as any of them?

You mentioned Blind not being able to be a DM due to his height, there is a list of players that all did well in the DM position that are as tall as Blind. Height is not a factor.

I actually agree that Blind is average, good at best. He is far from the superstar some think he is.

Majority of players you listed did have power and aggression though and I fail to see it in him. I genuinely still believe LVG only played him constantly because of course the obvious injury problems and the fact he's Dutch. I'm glad you think he's average whereas a few people on this forum think he's Maldini.

Makelele, Essien and Cambiasso were DM's for Jose. 

Where did I mention Blind being as good as any of them?

You mentioned Blind not being able to be a DM due to his height, there is a list of players that all did well in the DM position that are as tall as Blind. Height is not a factor.

I actually agree that Blind is average, good at best. He is far from the superstar some think he is.

Blind slows the game down, doesn't do the simplest thing.

If he was an attacking wing mid being creative and not doing the safest thing would be accepted and encouraged by Jose (if you are good enough).

At DM? Try a Guardiola team

Stoke were apparently interested but they're too big a club for Zlatan so didn't pan out there.

Oh god you're telling me there wasn't demand from big clubs for Ibra. How can one be so deluded. 

Adios mate.

Shame to go, you really don't have to be scared.

I mean if we ever were interested then that would definitely be the reason that it didn't happen. Kudos for finally being honest son.

That's what I like to see. Keep dreaming the dream, don't let me or anyone else trample on it for you.

(Moved it to the correct thread)