Official Manchester United Thread

Rishabh Desai

United gave up on the signing of Vardy because he wants to give Rashford a chance. Now this is something pleasing to the ears.

In other news, Jamie remains as deluded as ever.

:)

I thought you were going? Couldn't tear yourself away from me could you.

Haha you do crack me up with your witty banter, along with calling me deluded after that first line of your post. Do you and Talentsearcher read the same newspaper?

Also a bit worrying that you have taken to referring to the club as a living person.

Yay I get mentioned even know I said nothing

I'm not going to be happy until Ibra fully signs the contract as shocks can happen

1/2 year contract is great - Hopefully he adds extra 20+ goals to United

LvG wouldn't of attracted him

I wonder if this Signing would attract others like Pogba(same agent)?

Does it means United are Favourites for the league as wherever Ibra gone, 1st season = League Title?

I thought you were going? Couldn't tear yourself away from me could you.

Haha you do crack me up with your witty banter, along with calling me deluded after that first line of your post. Do you and Talentsearcher read the same newspaper?

Also a bit worrying that you have taken to referring to the club as a living person.

A yea I just love you so much.Well it was reported by Sky sports. Its as reliable as it gets. Stop being bitter mate.

Ince, Keane, Mascherano, Matuidi, Essien, De Jong, Davids, Dunga, Matthaus, Cambiasso.

All listed as similar heights to Blind, not sure why you need to be tall to be a good DM.

Manolas meant to be be completed, guess we'll see how good he actually is if he does sign.

Kind of funny that you missed out the best DM Mourinho's ever used in Claude Makéléle (only 5ft 7"), it's not like the role is named after him ;)

I would have thought that my listing of CB pairing under Mourinho would have cleared up the whole Blind debate by now but again Blind's height has never really been the issue for people it is his playing style that suits a possession based team but seeing as Mourinho has rarely placed much emphasis on a Barcelona style approach to the game it would be very odd to see Blind as his CB or even his DM.

The only instance where Blind's 1 inch difference to other CB's is an issue is from set pieces (insert joke).

Now the reason he would not be a starting DM is because again Mourinho usually likes to have players like those listed below:

FC Porto

Costinha 5ft 11.5" - If I remember correctly he was very much a tackling and hard working DM and a lot more physically aggressive than Blind, certainly not a playmaker.

Chelsea

Makéléle - 5ft 7" - Pretty much N'Golo Kante on steroids. Great work rate, quick, intelligent with some of the best positioning from a midfielder I've ever seen: arguably the perfect CDM and always physically able despite his height.

Inter Milan

Zanetti- 5ft 10" and Cambiasso 5ft 10" - Zanetti obviously a terrifically intelligent and hard working player who often popped up as a DM for Mourinho due to Maicon being at Inter at the time. Again physically built like a horse and could run for days (there's a reason he was called the tractor).

Cambiasso again worked incredibly hard and was not afraid to tackle. Physically very able as well as having the added technical ability to act as a deeper playmaker.

Real Madrid

Xabi Alonso - 6ft 0" - A slight deviation from his traditional DM but Alonso still put in a shift for his side and as we know didn't mind putting in some hard tackles. Obviously known much more for his playmaking from deep he still had a tactical intelligence with his defensive positioning. 

Chelsea

Matic - 6ft 4" - Physically dominant, aggressive and able to carry the ball out too. His passing was even very good compared and again he worked hard. A bit slower than your average Mourinho DM but his added physicality made up for it.

Manchester United

Blind - 5ft 11" - High work rate, low aggression, excellent interceptions and decent playmaking

Schneiderlin - 6ft 0" - High work rate, fairly aggressive, good interceptions and decent playmaking.

Carrick - 6ft 2" - Low work rate, excellent playmaking.

Now on paper all three have aspects that Mourinho looks for in his DM however all 3 lack something too. For Mourinho his DM is arguably one of the most important positions and we have issues with all three players at our disposal.

For Blind it has to be his lack of physical aggression. He is very intelligent and an excellent interceptor of the ball but he doesn't have the same speed in tackling to cover quickly, he does however historically cover a lot of ground when in a DM role. So arguably he makes up for his lack of speed with positional awareness.

Schneiderlin has had a poor season but under Mourinho I think he has the most chance of becoming his DM. He has most of the attributes when he is playing well to be that kind of player. He's not the quickest but I'd argue he is more aggressive at winning back the ball compared to Carrick and Blind. 

Carrick for me is unlikely to be our DM under Mourinho, he is too slow and his age now is a problem. An excellent playmaker and very good for when we need to control a game but I feel Mourinho will want someone with more urgency in the tackle.

It will be interesting to see what Mourinho does but short of signing N'Golo Kanté I don't see a DM around that would improve significantly on our current options.

My main concern having looked at the midfield is more having someone to be a ball carrier (dribbler) in midfield with some strength (essentially a Pogba type player). 

Having thought about it though I think a very good offer for Kanté with Mourinho at the helm wouldn't be a bad idea seeing as he is IMO the closest thing to Makéléle I've seen in the PL for a long time.

Makelele, Essien and Cambiasso were DM's for Jose. 

Where did I mention Blind being as good as any of them?

You mentioned Blind not being able to be a DM due to his height, there is a list of players that all did well in the DM position that are as tall as Blind. Height is not a factor.

I actually agree that Blind is average, good at best. He is far from the superstar some think he is.

Makéléle the after thought... :o

Also nobody thinks Blind is a superstar, but equally some, myself included, do appreciate that you don't need to be a caveman to be a good CB in the Premier League as long as you are in the right system. Blind as a CB under LVG's possession football, success, Blind under Mourinho at CB, I don't see it personally.

Majority of players you listed did have power and aggression though and I fail to see it in him. I genuinely still believe LVG only played him constantly because of course the obvious injury problems and the fact he's Dutch. I'm glad you think he's average whereas a few people on this forum think he's Maldini.

Blind is not powerful, nor is he aggressive but he's excellent positionally which is IMO more than half the battle. The best DM's have the tactical awareness first and foremost combined with the physical ability, be that strength, speed or aggression.

Now the problem Blind has is that he is a very intelligent footballer but he does lack the physical side that would turn him from a good to an outstanding player. Nobody thinks he's Maldini don't make things up.

I'm fed up of the Blind talk - He not good enough as CB or DCM and height in the CB and DCM is nothing but Prefer tall CB's in teams

Ben C saying all United doesn't fit the DCM is true, 1 player in United that maybe fit the DCM role but it would be a gamble and that is Fosu- Mensah - Like to hear people views on that

Still quiet on who coming in and going out

Please get rid of Rojo and fellaini

Blind is no Xabi Alonso

Matic had a good year or so but then reliance on him also contributed to Mourinho losing his job 

I'm sure Blind is a fine DM on a team that relies on creative DMs. Mourinho better not, unless that man is Xabi Alonso

touche

anyway looking forward to another car crash season!

Ibra to cover up the cracks.... the fact he is in the Premier League next season is great though

Wasnt Schweinstiger the marquee veteran last season...is he even still there?

:) you missed My 1 and truly golden comedy moment here

Mourinho will hopefully guide United back to the old times

Schweinsteiger was a gamble that hasn't paid off - wouldn't cry if Mourinho sold him

Eric Bailly Yes or No?

€40 million release clause.

A yea I just love you so much.Well it was reported by Sky sports. Its as reliable as it gets. Stop being bitter mate.

I can't, I'm just a bitter old man that can't wait to watch the world burn. Sky Sports about as reliable as Goal.com and the Daily Star.

Yay I get mentioned even know I said nothing

I'm not going to be happy until Ibra fully signs the contract as shocks can happen

1/2 year contract is great - Hopefully he adds extra 20+ goals to United

LvG wouldn't of attracted him

I wonder if this Signing would attract others like Pogba(same agent)?

Does it means United are Favourites for the league as wherever Ibra gone, 1st season = League Title?

How can your name not be mentioned in the United thread, you're infamous!

Kind of funny that you missed out the best DM Mourinho's ever used in Claude Makéléle (only 5ft 7"), it's not like the role is named after him ;)

I would have thought that my listing of CB pairing under Mourinho would have cleared up the whole Blind debate by now but again Blind's height has never really been the issue for people it is his playing style that suits a possession based team but seeing as Mourinho has rarely placed much emphasis on a Barcelona style approach to the game it would be very odd to see Blind as his CB or even his DM.

The only instance where Blind's 1 inch difference to other CB's is an issue is from set pieces (insert joke).

Now the reason he would not be a starting DM is because again Mourinho usually likes to have players like those listed below:

FC Porto

Costinha 5ft 11.5" - If I remember correctly he was very much a tackling and hard working DM and a lot more physically aggressive than Blind, certainly not a playmaker.

Chelsea

Makéléle - 5ft 7" - Pretty much N'Golo Kante on steroids. Great work rate, quick, intelligent with some of the best positioning from a midfielder I've ever seen: arguably the perfect CDM and always physically able despite his height.

Inter Milan

Zanetti- 5ft 10" and Cambiasso 5ft 10" - Zanetti obviously a terrifically intelligent and hard working player who often popped up as a DM for Mourinho due to Maicon being at Inter at the time. Again physically built like a horse and could run for days (there's a reason he was called the tractor).

Cambiasso again worked incredibly hard and was not afraid to tackle. Physically very able as well as having the added technical ability to act as a deeper playmaker.

Real Madrid

Xabi Alonso - 6ft 0" - A slight deviation from his traditional DM but Alonso still put in a shift for his side and as we know didn't mind putting in some hard tackles. Obviously known much more for his playmaking from deep he still had a tactical intelligence with his defensive positioning. 

Chelsea

Matic - 6ft 4" - Physically dominant, aggressive and able to carry the ball out too. His passing was even very good compared and again he worked hard. A bit slower than your average Mourinho DM but his added physicality made up for it.

Manchester United

Blind - 5ft 11" - High work rate, low aggression, excellent interceptions and decent playmaking

Schneiderlin - 6ft 0" - High work rate, fairly aggressive, good interceptions and decent playmaking.

Carrick - 6ft 2" - Low work rate, excellent playmaking.

Now on paper all three have aspects that Mourinho looks for in his DM however all 3 lack something too. For Mourinho his DM is arguably one of the most important positions and we have issues with all three players at our disposal.

For Blind it has to be his lack of physical aggression. He is very intelligent and an excellent interceptor of the ball but he doesn't have the same speed in tackling to cover quickly, he does however historically cover a lot of ground when in a DM role. So arguably he makes up for his lack of speed with positional awareness.

Schneiderlin has had a poor season but under Mourinho I think he has the most chance of becoming his DM. He has most of the attributes when he is playing well to be that kind of player. He's not the quickest but I'd argue he is more aggressive at winning back the ball compared to Carrick and Blind. 

Carrick for me is unlikely to be our DM under Mourinho, he is too slow and his age now is a problem. An excellent playmaker and very good for when we need to control a game but I feel Mourinho will want someone with more urgency in the tackle.

It will be interesting to see what Mourinho does but short of signing N'Golo Kanté I don't see a DM around that would improve significantly on our current options.

My main concern having looked at the midfield is more having someone to be a ball carrier (dribbler) in midfield with some strength (essentially a Pogba type player). 

Having thought about it though I think a very good offer for Kanté with Mourinho at the helm wouldn't be a bad idea seeing as he is IMO the closest thing to Makéléle I've seen in the PL for a long time.

Makéléle the after thought... :o

Also nobody thinks Blind is a superstar, but equally some, myself included, do appreciate that you don't need to be a caveman to be a good CB in the Premier League as long as you are in the right system. Blind as a CB under LVG's possession football, success, Blind under Mourinho at CB, I don't see it personally.

Blind is not powerful, nor is he aggressive but he's excellent positionally which is IMO more than half the battle. The best DM's have the tactical awareness first and foremost combined with the physical ability, be that strength, speed or aggression.

Now the problem Blind has is that he is a very intelligent footballer but he does lack the physical side that would turn him from a good to an outstanding player. Nobody thinks he's Maldini don't make things up.

Or, and this is just a thought, maybe he was mentioned a couple of posts previously  ;)

Manchester United are in talks with Villarreal to sign Ivory Coast international Eric Bailly, according to Sky sources.

Sky Sports News HQ understands United are not the only club trying to sign Bailly, with Manchester City, Barcelona, and Paris St Germain all also in talks with the La Liga club.

Got a whole lot interesting this.

A beast already is slightly exaggerated, he's got potential. If it totals 40m with add ons I know players aren't cheap nowadays but that seems an awful lot to me.

It does seem on the high side when it is a similar value to what Laporte might cost. He is a good player though by all accounts and has some decent experience already.

Villarreal have apparently confirmed the transfer will happen to Untied.

Interesting to see how your team is starting to shape up.

It does seem on the high side when it is a similar value to what Laporte might cost. He is a good player though by all accounts and has some decent experience already.

Villarreal have apparently confirmed the transfer will happen to Untied.

Interesting to see how your team is starting to shape up.

Can't find it anywhere regarding Villarreal confirming. Source?

Can't find it anywhere regarding Villarreal confirming. Source?

Confirmed via Spanish radio.

In short: IMO good signing and the right kind of player to be looking at. Quick, strong and not too shabby with the ball.

Definitely not having Blind at CB then!

Confirmed via Spanish radio.

In short: IMO good signing and the right kind of player to be looking at. Quick, strong and not too shabby with the ball.

Definitely not having Blind at CB then!

I'd love to keep Blind tho. Three solid defenders to swap at the back would be brilliant especially since Blind is so versatile.

Skysports reporting Bailley but IMO signing him is going to cause problems

I haven't seen much of him, only videos and he seems to me like another Vidic

Smalling and Bailey next year, how physical does that look

Absolutely nothing like another Vidic. Not sure if you saw him against Liverpool this season but he was immense but nothing like the brutish and aggressive nature of Vidic who would throw himself at anything.

Bailly from what I have seen (limited I will admit) is physically suited to a Mourinho CB and I'm glad we've gone for him as it give us a new dimension at CB.

Absolutely nothing like another Vidic. Not sure if you saw him against Liverpool this season but he was immense but nothing like the brutish and aggressive nature of Vidic who would throw himself at anything.

Bailly from what I have seen (limited I will admit) is physically suited to a Mourinho CB and I'm glad we've gone for him as it give us a new dimension at CB.

That's your opinion but what I seen of him, he like Vidic/Zouma - Likes to get stuck in physically, does throw his body into challenges, Looks composed on the ball

Only problem is Africa up of Nations - United would lose him for a month

No 1 commented on my gamble of Fosu-Mensah to be given a try as DCM

That's your opinion but what I seen of him, he like Vidic/Zouma - Likes to get stuck in physically, does throw his body into challenges, Looks composed on the ball

Only problem is Africa up of Nations - United would lose him for a month

No 1 commented on my gamble of Fosu-Mensah to be given a try as DCM

I honestly hold very little hope for this forum if you genuinely believe that Bailly is a similar style of player to Vidic.

Vidic was never composed on the ball but he didn't have to be because he would win it no matter what. He had IMO a scarily insatiable appetite for the physical side of the PL and IMO is one of the greatest CBs the PL has ever had.

Also as much as it pains me to admit it Vidic could not cope with someone like Torres who had pace to burn whereas someone like Bailly who is quick is much more physically able to deal with that kind of threat so to say they are similar is incredibly bizarre to me.

In short: Vidic was slow but solid, Bailly seems athletic and yes aggressive but not in the same way right now as Vidic's aggression was calculated and ruthless and Baillys from what I understand can be a little erratic (inexperience more than anything IMO).

Bailly is not a Vidic like player so while I don't often say this your opinion is wrong and the fact is that they are not similar.

That doesn't mean I'm not excited to see him develop under Mourinho, I am, but I think it is far too early to say he is anywhere near a Vidic like player especially when their physical traits and play styles are completely different.

I do agree however that it will be a shame to lose him to the ACON every 2 years will be annoying IF he becomes an important player for us.

As for Fosu Mensah I think he's a terrific prospect and the signing of Bailly IMO confirms that Mourinho is looking at him as a DM or RB more than a CB which is again very positive.

I think he has the technical skill and physical presence to be a solid DM for us and if I'm honest that's where I'd more immediately like to see him tried out. However that does depend on who else we sign this window.