Official Manchester United Thread

Rishabh Desai

I came here just to comment on I don't want anyone who goes to African Cup of Nations 

From my very non-scientific memory, that has derailed multiple Premier League contender seasons

I think back to the times Toure, Bony, Gervinho, Song et al. left and it always seemed to cause a problem and break the team's harmony 

I don't want it. Prefer they pay double for an equivalent player from any country that doesn't participate in that competition. I don't want players taken from our first XI for non injury or performance related reasons 

Bailly is a great purchase for me. Way more equipped than Gabriel to the EPL. Quick, strong, powerful, competitive, good technical qualities, improved defensive quality and discipline are the terms being bandied about. I'm happy for a multitude of reasons:

1. Utd are reportedly not paying the whole 40m fee upfront. As Raahizar said, it's worth it for Bailly who was also being tracked by Pep and a host of top clubs including Barca. In this inflated market this is a way better purchase than the overrated Stones.

2. Woodward is improving- firstly, nearly wrapping up a purchase without the media knowing, secondly, not spending a load of money through the release clause.

It isn't straight 40m upfront. 19m and then 11m add-ons. I don't mind paying those extra 10 millions if this is a worthwhile investment since he's only 22 and a beast already.

What this means is that Jones is gone which is good news. Bailly will play the role of Mou's Zouma/Varane. I still see Mou going for another CB (like Manolas). Transfer business is already proving promising.

Of course I will not count my chickens before they hatch but if Ibra and Bailly are wrapped up before the Euros it sets the tone for an encouraging and successful transfer, and hopefully the wise usage of the truckloads of money Utd have.

From Outside of the Boot:

Eric Bailly // Villareal // 22 // Center Back: Eric Bailly has been almost ever present in this impressive Villareal campaign. The Yellow Submarine will participate in the Champions League next season, and in a campaign built on relatively few resources. Bailly has made 24 appearances. The versatile Ivory Coast international has shown that he can fill in across the back 4. Bailly has been especially praised for his tough defensive abilities, recording almost 2 interceptions and tackles per game on average.

Scout Report from Jan 2015- Bailly has improve heaps since then.

http://www.espnfcasia.com/blog/scouts-notebook/78/post/2291545/eric-bailly-tipped-for-the-top-at-villarreal

I came here just to comment on I don't want anyone who goes to African Cup of Nations 

From my very non-scientific memory, that has derailed multiple Premier League contender seasons

I think back to the times Toure, Bony, Gervinho, Song et al. left and it always seemed to cause a problem and break the team's harmony 

I don't want it. Prefer they pay double for an equivalent player from any country that doesn't participate in that competition. I don't want players taken from our first XI for non injury or performance related reasons 

You have a point but the players you name are all attacking. This won't affect us for the next couple of years if Utd get another CB. I don't think a defensive player leaving will affect the club as much as Toure etc. would. It also depends on the player's attitude, the players you name are all in the late 20s/early 30s- Bailly is competitive and eager to learn, I don't think his departure would affect the club as much. 

Would be annoying though to lose him after this season for every 2 years if he becomes world-class at Utd.

I may be wrong though.

Also, good to use Fosu-Mensah put his club ahead of country at this stage. Clearly eager to make his mark on Mourinho. Hope he stays at the club and learns rather than going out on loan.

Mou prioritising Rashford over Vardy is also encouraging. Thought he didn't like youth?

A lot of people also say Mou loans out all youngsters- which is a misconception. Chelsea's youth policy revolves around loans to Vitesse and other clubs. Inter, Madrid and Porto also clubs which have players to their 'B' sides and loan others to smaller clubs. Utd doesn't work like that. Would be interesting to see how Mou deals with the youngsters blooded by LvG but I doubt he will loan them all out.

Bailly is a great purchase for me. Way more equipped than Gabriel to the EPL. Quick, strong, powerful, competitive, good technical qualities, improved defensive quality and discipline are the terms being bandied about. I'm happy for a multitude of reasons:

1. Utd are reportedly not paying the whole 40m fee upfront. As Raahizar said, it's worth it for Bailly who was also being tracked by Pep and a host of top clubs including Barca. In this inflated market this is a way better purchase than the overrated Stones.

2. Woodward is improving- firstly, nearly wrapping up a purchase without the media knowing, secondly, not spending a load of money through the release clause.

What this means is that Jones is gone which is good news. Bailly will play the role of Mou's Zouma/Varane. I still see Mou going for another CB (like Manolas). Transfer business is already proving promising.

Of course I will not count my chickens before they hatch but if Ibra and Bailly are wrapped up before the Euros it sets the tone for an encouraging and successful transfer, and hopefully the wise usage of the truckloads of money Utd have.

Bailly isn't going to cost 40m as his release fee is 31m - according to sources, United are paying less that that but add ons will make the 31m - Bayern and Barcelona are looking at him

Is it Woodward doing this or Mourinho demanding what he wants?

I want Rojo to go - Defender who doesn't like headering

If them deals are wrapped up before Euro's then less chance of panic buying in August

Still like to see a midfielder and right winger - maybe the RW could be Aubameyang - price of some players might rocket in the Euro's

Also, good to use Fosu-Mensah put his club ahead of country at this stage. Clearly eager to make his mark on Mourinho. Hope he stays at the club and learns rather than going out on loan.

Mou prioritising Rashford over Vardy is also encouraging. Thought he didn't like youth?

A lot of people also say Mou loans out all youngsters- which is a misconception. Chelsea's youth policy revolves around loans to Vitesse and other clubs. Inter, Madrid and Porto also clubs which have players to their 'B' sides and loan others to smaller clubs. Utd doesn't work like that. Would be interesting to see how Mou deals with the youngsters blooded by LvG but I doubt he will loan them all out.

Vardy wouldn't suit United - Rashford will be given chances, he still 18/19

Still like to see if Fosu-Mensah could be United's DCM

True on the last bit but Chelsea policy is buy in youth then to loan to parent club Vitesse and others. If successful, Maybe a chance in 1st season or otherwise they sell for profit. United, it is different, Under 21's keep winning their U21 league, but not sure what Mou want to do

Like to see unless Mou have other ideas

De Gea

Darmain Smalling Bailly Shaw

Fosu-Mensah/Schneiderlain

Rooney CM

Aubameyang Ibrahimovic Martial

That team if all fit and play to their best can get the title

Paper talk suggest Basti might be leaving, don't really think anyone cares to much about that if he does leave.

Agreed, would be a shame though after all the hype last summer. I wonder who would take him though....

Bailly isn't going to cost 40m as his release fee is 31m - according to sources, United are paying less that that but add ons will make the 31m - Bayern and Barcelona are looking at him

Is it Woodward doing this or Mourinho demanding what he wants?

I want Rojo to go - Defender who doesn't like headering

If them deals are wrapped up before Euro's then less chance of panic buying in August

Still like to see a midfielder and right winger - maybe the RW could be Aubameyang - price of some players might rocket in the Euro's

Vardy wouldn't suit United - Rashford will be given chances, he still 18/19

Still like to see if Fosu-Mensah could be United's DCM

True on the last bit but Chelsea policy is buy in youth then to loan to parent club Vitesse and others. If successful, Maybe a chance in 1st season or otherwise they sell for profit. United, it is different, Under 21's keep winning their U21 league, but not sure what Mou want to do

Like to see unless Mou have other ideas

De Gea

Darmain Smalling Bailly Shaw

Fosu-Mensah/Schneiderlain

Rooney CM

Aubameyang Ibrahimovic Martial

That team if all fit and play to their best can get the title

Mou can demand all he wants but Woodward does the negotiating.  The release clause depends on the currency. 

Rojo leaving- wouldn't mind that, we'd have to get another CB/LB though.

Euros start in less than a week, so I guess we can wrap up Ibra at max. Bailly isn't in the Euros obviously so no rush there, while Pjanic and Bosnia aren't in the Euros. Who else are we linked with?

Fosu-Mensah starting is unlikely to me, we'd have to wait and see. 

The youth system is stagnating after the current batch of U-21s from what I've heard, which is why keeping Joyce in the youth set up is important.

A 4-1-2-3 also seems pretty unlikely, that is a side heavily unbalanced. Fosu-Mensah isn't good enough to shield that defence, especially with Shaw in the attacking half most of the time.

I'd like to see the Memphis/Shaw connection given another chance- could be the best thing for both.

Good thing Aubameyang doesn't represent a European country then...

Good point, though Gabon have lesser chances of qualifying every 2 years like Ivory Coast. 

Just checked up on Gabon and I see they're the hosts for the 2017 edition, LOL. 

(Thanks Cam for deleting the accidental second post.)

Mou can demand all he wants but Woodward does the negotiating.  The release clause depends on the currency. 

Rojo leaving- wouldn't mind that, we'd have to get another CB/LB though.

Euros start in less than a week, so I guess we can wrap up Ibra at max. Bailly isn't in the Euros obviously so no rush there, while Pjanic and Bosnia aren't in the Euros. Who else are we linked with?

Fosu-Mensah starting is unlikely to me, we'd have to wait and see. 

The youth system is stagnating after the current batch of U-21s from what I've heard, which is why keeping Joyce in the youth set up is important.

A 4-1-2-3 also seems pretty unlikely, that is a side heavily unbalanced. Fosu-Mensah isn't good enough to shield that defence, especially with Shaw in the attacking half most of the time.

I'd like to see the Memphis/Shaw connection given another chance- could be the best thing for both.

Woodward is improving??? - Explains why we didn't get Renato Sanches

It's more likely Mou demanding and that is great as he always wanted freedom on signings

Ik Ibra should be sorted soon and Bailly maybe not far off as well, But you never know in the Euro's - someone might catch Mou eye with there display

I like to see Fosu-Mensah as DCM, prob wont get it but when we played Arsenal, Fosu-Mensah played well controlling the ball in the middle of the pitch

I'm not saying Play a 4-1-2-3 formation but the 3 in midfield need to have engines, High work rate etc. You can say 4-3-3 or 4-2-1-3

I cant see Shaw/Depay partnership as Martial made the LW spot his own, look dangerous everytime when Martial on the ball in that position

Fosu-Mensah's best game was against Tottenham, where he neutralised their attack until coming off injured. After that, Tottenham ran riot, so I'd expect him to feature as a full-back, at least in the near future, despite being a defensive midfielder by trade.

And as Rahul said, Mourinho should trial the Shaw-Depay partnership on the left when Shaw is fit again. Depay definitely looked a better player having Shaw making overlapping runs constantly, as opposed to Rojo, who does run, but without any real purpose. Besides, Martial is perfectly capable of playing on the right.

You've had to watch his 56 goals this year to be convinced by Zlatan?

I haven't watched him this season 

Always got to keep yourself updated. Don't want to go by old reputations 

Stats are strong but I want to see how he crushes goalies man to man

everyone says he is old etc and sure you dont want to build a team around him (thats what martial and rashford are for) But the guy is just a brutally effective football and a bit of a wizard. Worth every penny if you get him.

My yardstick is always "how jealous am i that Arsenal arent signing them"

Bailly - 5

Auba or Ibra - 10!

everyone says he is old etc and sure you dont want to build a team around him (thats what martial and rashford are for) But the guy is just a brutally effective football and a bit of a wizard. Worth every penny if you get him.

My yardstick is always "how jealous am i that Arsenal arent signing them"

Bailly - 5

Auba or Ibra - 10!

We don't agree often but we good on this 100% 

GET IBRA IN

PS. active posts 6666 lmao it's a sign the devils are back 

Perhaps, but he's got an affinity with Milan. He doesn't have anything with Manchester United, or England for that matter.

Plus, what is the key factor in 99% of footballer's choices? Le wife... And let's face it, between Milan and Manchester, it's an easy choice to say the least.

Watch Zlatan go to AC Milan now instead haha.

Genuine possibility whether or not we admit it. He spoke about making an important announcement tomorrow, which could either be:

1. Him playing with the media (again)

2. His new fashion brand

3. His move to Utd

4. His 'surprise' move elsewhere (Milan, China, MLS etc.)

5. The completely random possibility Zlatan is capable of

That's a good point about the wife to be fair, especially with Milan and the fashion world. Obviously United would pay bigger wages and a bigger signing on fee but he doesn't need the money. I just think we're all hoping weather being a United fan or not just to see Ibra in the prem testing himself.