Official Manchester United Thread

Re: Official Red Devils thread

Yeah would be great. Valencia has shown his worth of £17million though. If we were to buy Dzeko for £17million he'd have to score what' date=' 14 League Goals in his first season atleast.[/quote']

There are two ways of looking at this. Dzeko would no doubt be a great signing. But then, if he does come in then the minimal chances Owen had of securing a place in the first team would be diminished. With the likes of Macheda and Welbeck already in the side, we'll be having 6 strikers if Dzeko is signed. And you can't bench Berba for long and can't even think of leaving out Roo. So it'll be Berba and Dzeko swapping places with Kiko and Welbeck playing most of the FA Cup matches and Owen getting his occasional sub appearances. I think Owen does deserve a chance. He still has the ability to get into good scoring positions. Although he has lost his pace, he's still handy and his experience matters as we saw in the Manchester Derby. If given the option, I would like to see a good attacking midfielder coming in- maybe someone like Silva. We were linked with him before and among Dzeko and Silva, I think the latter would be a better option. Having said that, I would be gutted to see our rivals (read Arsenal) snapping Dzeko.

• Replies 43.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• IanMcCo

• Frozy

• Hercule Poirot

• Stuart H

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Re: Official Manchester United Thread Just tried changing the password on my laptop to Man Utd defence but it said it was too weak

Re: Official Red Devils thread Apparently, it's been caused by City opening their trophy cabinet LOL

Re: Official Red Devils Thread Right I'd thought I'd air some opinions on recent activity. How Do You Solve a Problem Like Di Maria The recent acquisition of Di Maria appears to have split bo

Posted Images

Lets be realistic... UTD wont buy any1 during this transfer window, we hardly buy any1 during this time plus i think the teams doing wel.. if we get him then it will lower the chances of owen, welbeck and kiko... so i wudnt wanna get another striker i rather see welbeck n kiko play more i think they can be better if given the chance and also play more games...

Lets be realistic... UTD wont buy any1 during this transfer window' date=' we hardly buy any1 during this time plus i think the teams doing wel.. if we get him then it will lower the chances of owen, welbeck and kiko... so i wudnt wanna get another striker i rather see welbeck n kiko play more i think they can be better if given the chance and also play more games...[/quote']

Yeah agreed. I doubt we'll buy much even in the summer.

There are two ways of looking at this. Dzeko would no doubt be a great signing. But then' date=' if he does come in then the minimal chances Owen had of securing a place in the first team would be diminished. With the likes of Macheda and Welbeck already in the side, we'll be having 6 strikers if Dzeko is signed. And you can't bench Berba for long and can't even think of leaving out Roo. So it'll be Berba and Dzeko swapping places with Kiko and Welbeck playing most of the FA Cup matches and Owen getting his occasional sub appearances. I think Owen does deserve a chance. He still has the ability to get into good scoring positions. Although he has lost his pace, he's still handy and his experience matters as we saw in the Manchester Derby. If given the option, I would like to see a good attacking midfielder coming in- maybe someone like Silva. We were linked with him before and among Dzeko and Silva, I think the latter would be a better option. Having said that, I would be gutted to see our rivals (read Arsenal) snapping Dzeko.[/quote']

Lets not also forget we already have that Diouf guy signed up. So we definitely won't see any strikers. Silva will be wayyy to costly for us I reckon

Having said that' date=' I would be gutted to see our rivals (read Arsenal) snapping Dzeko.[/quote']

I highly doubt Arsene Wenger would pay that kind of money for him. There's more chance of someone like, say, Gignac joining the Gunners than Dzeko.

Besides, they'd been monitoring him well before he'd been making his mark at VFL, and it was decided by the management not to go for him since "we have Bendtner". :/

I really dont think we will sign anyone in January. Fergie doesn't like it :D

BUT he might shock people, like that time he signed Larson on loan.

And if we were to buy Dzeko, it doesnt mean there will be too many strikers?

I think we could play 4 - 3 - 3 in matches?

Rooney,Berba, Dzeko, Owen?

For a 4 - 3 - 3, you dont need anymore than that. And one will get injured during the season, we have Macheda?

As for the midfield..Carrick, Anderson. Scholes, Fletch,Valencia, Giggs ? Plus more.

Yes, some players wont even make the first eleven, but that will drive them to play more better

I think Nani is leaving :(

Won't be shocked if he goes to Sunderland tbh.

I really dont think we will sign anyone in January. Fergie doesn't like it :D

BUT he might shock people' date=' like that time he signed Larson on loan.

And if we were to buy Dzeko, it doesnt mean there will be too many strikers?

I think we could play 4 - 3 - 3 in matches?

Rooney,Berba, Dzeko, Owen?

For a 4 - 3 - 3, you dont need anymore than that. And one will get injured during the season, we have Macheda?

As for the midfield..Carrick, Anderson. Scholes, Fletch,Valencia, Giggs ? Plus more.

Yes, some players wont even make the first eleven, but that will drive them to play more better

I think Nani is leaving :(

Won't be shocked if he goes to Sunderland tbh.[/quote']

Where would you play Valencia and Obertan in a 4-3-3 formation if you intend to start with all three strikers? Moreover, if we do sign Dzeko and if we also have to play Berba/Owen with him then we may see Rooney dropping wide to the wings, which is the last thing I would want to see. Its better to give Kiko and Welbeck a chance to prove themselves. So I think its sensible not to go in for a striker cos we already have plenty of depth and quality in that area. If we could somehow get Silva, it would be perfect! *high hopes* :P

As for Nani, well I heard sometime back that there could be a swap deal for Di Maria. Don't know that chances of that happening!

Besides, they'd been monitoring him well before he'd been making his mark at VFL, and it was decided by the management not to go for him since "we have Bendtner". :/

I am speechless! :|

One more thing I would like to add is Obertan is quite a different player to Nani. Nani because he had no pace could do 2 things. Come inside and have a shot and secondly cross the ball. If he could cross the ball he would be world class but as he can't we will leave it there. Obertan I liken more to Ronaldo not in terms of class but style. Tell me how often did Ronaldo actually cross. Not many times. I see Obertan a bit like that. So far in his short time with us he hasn't crossed much but combined very well with the front men. Hes by no means a finished product but he will be class no doubt. And we only paid 4 million for him.

3 mil m8:)

Defensive crisis deepens as Nemanja Vidic misses Wolfsburg trip

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/story?id=709674&sec=uefachampionsleague&cc=4716&campaign=rss&source=soccernet

"His list of injured defenders includes skipper Gary Neville and England international Wes Brown, who both limped off at Upton Park, plus longer-term casualties Rio Ferdinand, John O'Shea and Jonny Evans. With the Da Silva brothers, Fabio and Rafael, also sidelined, the only orthodox defender Ferguson has in his squad is left-back Patrice Evra. Among the less familiar faces in the United party are Oliver Gill, son of chief executive David, Magnus Eikrem, Cameron Stewart, Matte James and Oliver Norwood. In addition to the defensive problems - first-choice keeper Edwin Van der Sar is also missing - Ferguson has taken the option of leaving Wayne Rooney and Dimitar Berbatov at home, meaning Michael Owen and Danny Welbeck are the only strikers in his 19-man squad."

I know I was a little gutted too about the Ljajic thing' date=' I know you mentioned Cleverley but from what I've seen he's predominantly right-sided (correct me if I'm wrong) and Ljajic left-sided, so it remains to be seen. I could certainly see Cleverley as Valencia's understudy and I agree that Nani and Park would be the first on my list to move on (As much as I love Park for his graft - proper cult hero) One possibility is maybe SAF thinks Obertan is better than he thought he was when he signed him, and it'll be a mixture of one more season out of Giggs, with Obertan and Tosic fighting for the position when Giggsy retires. An outside chance it could also be [b']Eikrem[/b], who I rate very highly. Looks an excellent player from what I've seen in the reserves of him up to now, but the fact that he hasn't been involved in the Carling Cup at any stage makes this remain an outside chance. Definitely him, along with King (CF) And the 2 "Ollies", Gill (CB) and Norwood (CM) seem to be the ones imo who will be knocking on the door next.
Defensive crisis deepens as Nemanja Vidic misses Wolfsburg trip

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/story?id=709674&sec=uefachampionsleague&cc=4716&campaign=rss&source=soccernet

"His list of injured defenders includes skipper Gary Neville and England international Wes Brown' date=' who both limped off at Upton Park, plus longer-term casualties Rio Ferdinand, John O'Shea and Jonny Evans. With the Da Silva brothers, Fabio and Rafael, also sidelined, the only orthodox defender Ferguson has in his squad is left-back Patrice Evra. Among the less familiar faces in the United party are [b']Oliver Gill,[/b] son of chief executive David, Magnus Eikrem, Cameron Stewart, Matte James and Oliver Norwood. In addition to the defensive problems - first-choice keeper Edwin Van der Sar is also missing - Ferguson has taken the option of leaving Wayne Rooney and Dimitar Berbatov at home, meaning Michael Owen and Danny Welbeck are the only strikers in his 19-man squad."

Took all of a week to be proved right! :eek:

Completely forgot about Matt James too, a midfielder by trade, although comfortable at the back also. Can't say I know too much about Cameron Stewart, so that was the only real surprise from my point of view. Hopefully if we have a decent lead he'll throw a couple of them on :)

Took all of a week to be proved right! :eek:

Completely forgot about Matt James too' date=' a midfielder by trade, although comfortable at the back also. Can't say I know too much about Cameron Stewart, so that was the only real surprise from my point of view. Hopefully if we have a decent lead he'll throw a couple of them on :)[/quote']

Always had the faith in our youth! :)

United’s 19-man squad for the game in Wolfsburg: Tomasz Kuszczak, Ben Foster, Patrice Evra, Oliver Gill, Gabriel Obertan, Magnus Eikrem, Paul Scholes, Darron Gibson, Antonio Valencia, Michael Carrick, Matty James, Darren Fletcher, Ji-sung Park, Anderson, Cameron Stewart, Nani, Oliver Norwood, Michael Owen, Danny Welbeck.

Players in bold could make their United debut if they feature against Wolfsburg.

Possible XI:

Kuszczak

Fletcher Carrick Gill Evra

Valencia Gibson Scholes Anderson Obertan

Owen

Not sure about Scholes though. Maybe Norwood could get a start. I am sure Eikrem will feature at some point. Has been quite impressive this season for the reserves. And don't be surprised if Nani finally gets a game! :P

Possible XI:

Kuszczak

Fletcher Carrick Gill Evra

Valencia Gibson Scholes Anderson Obertan

Owen

Not sure about Scholes though. Maybe Norwood could get a start. I am sure Eikrem will feature at some point. Has been quite impressive this season for the reserves. And don't be surprised if Nani finally gets a game! :P

Why isn't De Laet in the squad? Was he registered?

James could feature as well. A brilliant passer of the ball. Can shoot as well. A shame we can't rest Evra as he really deserves it.

Just read on soccernet.com that Rooney himself revealed he slept through the whole World Cup draw infront of his tele.

He said "I lay down on my bed to watch TV. I fell asleep and didn't find out what the draw was until five hours later."

:D:p

Why isn't De Laet in the squad? Was he registered?

James could feature as well. A brilliant passer of the ball. Can shoot as well. A shame we can't rest Evra as he really deserves it.

De Laet wasn't registered as according to UEFA regulations, additional players are only those who have been with the club for 2 years and De Laet has only been with us for like 11 months, well almost a year.

Sir Alex Ferguson: No Preferential Treatment For Son Of Manchester United Chief Executive.:P

"It doesn't concern me. If he is good enough, he plays," Ferguson told reporters at a press conference ahead of Tuesday's game.

"That is the name of the game at Manchester United. I had my own son in the squad for four or five years and he was treated exactly the same as any other member of the squad.

"It will be the same for Oliver." :D

Bdw, some more bad news. United hope Wes Brown (hamstring) and Nemanja Vidic (flu) will replenish the Reds' decimated defence. But the injury problems don't stop there. Neither Rooney (hamstring) nor Berbatov (knee) travelled to Germany and both men are doubtful to play against Villa.

Right then, this is one of the most surreal United sides I've ever tried to guess! :eek: I think with the state of the defence we'll probably go 4-5-1 tbh.

Kuszcak

Park --Fletcher-- Carrick-- Evra

Scholes

--Gibson------ Anderson

-Valencia ------------------------Obertan

Owen

That's what I'm hoping he'll play, but tbh with the injury list as it is I see Welbeck in place of Owen so we are guaranteed at least one fit and experienced striker in the squad come the weekend, and he may keep Valencia back (as he's been excellent recently) and play Nani (or Welbeck out there if Owen plays) on the right.

The defence was the strongest one I could muster tbh. Don't know how Carrick and Fletch would cope with the aerial ability of Dzeko, quite worried about that - just happy we qualified early, and as SAF said, looking at the groups, the sides that qualify will be that strong that 1st or 2nd in the group will be little difference.

yeah i think manutd's strategy will be to defend deep and not expose fletcher and carrick to any direct pace or space in behind them. that's how they normally play on the travel anyway, so, even more so this time

plus, United are the most dangerous playing on the counter, maybe this one will work out just fine.

and think this way, fletch and carrick in defense are still probably better than other EPL defenders like gabbiddon and titus bramble;)

yeah i think manutd's strategy will be to defend deep and not expose fletcher and carrick to any direct pace or space in behind them. that's how they normally play on the travel anyway' date=' so, even more so this time

plus, United are the most dangerous playing on the counter, maybe this one will work out just fine.

and think this way, fletch and carrick in defense are still probably better than other EPL defenders like gabbiddon and titus bramble;)[/quote']

At least with Carrick and Fletch at the back you at least know the distribution from the back will be good! As you say, the counter attcking game may suit us with so many players that are comfortable on the ball in the side.

Thing is with Wolfsburg looking at the stats, they are vulnerable at the back, only won 1 in their last 6 in the league including draws against bottom side Hertha, and have conceded 11 goals in this time, so a disciplined performance from United could certainly yeild a result.

Problem is, Wolfsburg remind me a lot of Keegans mid-90's Newcastle side and the "We're gonna score one more than you" attitude. In the same 6 league games they've also scored 11 goals, so they are definitely a threat going forward!

They tend to go from the brilliant to the mediocre - here's the last 6 domestic results:

Last 6 matches

Wolfsburg 2 - 2 Freiburg 05/12/2009

W.Bremen 2 - 2 Wolfsburg 28/11/2009

Wolfsburg 2 - 3 Nurnberg 21/11/2009

1899 Hoffenheim1 - 2 Wolfsburg 07/11/2009

Wolfsburg 3 - 3 Mainz 05 FSV31/10/2009

Hertha Berlin 0 - 0 Wolfsburg 25/10/2009

Now, there's some shockers in there, including the results against both Freiburg and Nurnburg at home, as well as the Hertha result as they are a very poor side this season and leaking goals for fun.

You can Forgive the Mainz result as they are of the same "attack attack attack" attitude as Wolfsburg, and are an impressive side (think Hull just after promotion!)

But beating Hoffenheim and drawing with Werder (my tip for the title btw) is nothing to sniff at, I'm just hoping they continue their poor home form! :D

Sorry for sounding like a German statto, but it's now my 2nd favourite league, as I get the coverage on ESPN at home and am becoming more knowledgeable in that country this year :o

Don't really care too much about Wolfsborg but I am a bit concerned how were gonna cope against Villa:o Surely Sir Alex will gave De Laet a game? He along with Evra are the only fit defenders we have and De Laet is also pacy which helps against Villa. I would frankly rest Valencia, Owen and Evra and play with whatever we have today.

Don't really care too much about Wolfsborg but I am a bit concerned how were gonna cope against Villa:o Surely Sir Alex will gave De Laet a game? He along with Evra are the only fit defenders we have and De Laet is also pacy which helps against Villa. I would frankly rest Valencia' date=' Owen and Evra and play with whatever we have today.[/quote']

yeah i think de laet wasnt registered for the CL, else he would be playing today.

heard brown and vidic might be back for the weekend

Don't really care too much about Wolfsborg but I am a bit concerned how were gonna cope against Villa:o Surely Sir Alex will gave De Laet a game? He along with Evra are the only fit defenders we have and De Laet is also pacy which helps against Villa. I would frankly rest Valencia' date=' Owen and Evra and play with whatever we have today.[/quote']

De Laet certainly impressed against Spurs, keeping first Bentley for 70 mins then Lennon for the final 20 mins quite quiet, not to mention the superb block in the first half a few yards out.

I'm with you tbh, if it was me in charge, I'd be more inclined to play all youngsters, and try and keep as many first teamers in any position saved, and if needs be play the likes of Fletch and Carrick at the back in the league as a priority if we're struggling. It's not as if the game is massive in terms of qualifying. But I guess that's the United way, no such thing as a meaningless game.

De LEat isnt registered under fifa regulations you name a squad of 25 and then additional players can be brought in providing they have come through the ranks and played 2 years or more.

As for tonight Fergie has to play Carrick and Fletcher as they need games in unfamiliar positions as it looks likely both will start on Saturday. Vidic should be back but hes the only 1 with Brown being ruled out today.

back 4 tonight has 2 permitations

Fletch - Carrick - Gill - Evra

or

Park - Fletch - Carrick - Evra

Neither look great but we will play 5 in the middle probably in both todays game and home v Villa so adding a spot of protection for whats clearly a weak defence.

If there money in the pot Fergie should buy Cahill come January good young english defender who will add some much needed backup imediately.