Rishabh Desai

Official Manchester United Thread

it looks like you guys are really going to sign Pogba this summer, Mou is not playing about

Juve would be foolish to ignore 100mil. That's a straight profit on Pogba. Let's see....

It could happen, but such a transfer would really break the Internet. Hope France get knocked out today so the deal could further progress...Pogba would be foolish to reject the money on offer (reportedly thrice his Juve wages) which Barca/Real can't offer him. Plus lure of playing under Mou, with likes of Ibra, Mkhi,   Martial etc. No CL for a season at most but does that really matter?

The added irony of making it back to OT for a record fee after being sold for nothing...no-brainer really. It's all on Pogba really now.

I also missed out- he'd have an accomplished dabbing partner in Lingard, who was one of his mates in the 2011 days.  :lol:\

----

Also, agreed with Ben on Giggs and Pogba. 

Tbh Madrid have to sell to buy, and they are also pre-occupied with the EU land sale issue now- doubt they have the money or the concrete interest atm. Don't think Perez will back up Zidane on buying Pogba here. 

If they sell it would be James, who is on the fringe anyway.

Utd have the cash to spend, so might as well spend the lot on one player. Enough squad depth as it is. After Pogba Mou will buy to replace those who leave. Sensible dealing.

---

Also don't think marketing will play a role in this one @Ashtini though that Juve away kit looks awesome on Pogba. 

Quoting a lot but here's my views:

Rooney will not be played as a midfielder. Bench it is then.

Yup, bench/reserve striker or maybe China? Could leave him behind on the pre-season tour?

Or ship him out in Jan once he breaks Charlton's record?

Mourinho hinted 1 more signing - Pogba

Also took a dig out of Wenger

Also had a list of 49 players young players he put through to the first team - People say he don't promote youth

Also He says his injury record is low - United needs that as last 3 years, United topped the injury table

Rooney will play as striker somehow

His injury record may be low but he is not the one playing, players like Jones and all get injured anyhow, but he won't be like LvG in terms of training at least.

Matuidi is more likely, but we'll see. 

Or both, if we sell Schweinsteiger?

How many made it and had established roles? and not then shipped out by him?

Balotelli?

Santon?

clutching at straws

Agreed here. 

Morata, Jese, Obi Mikel, L. Diarra, Arnautovic, Fabinho, Cherishev, Hugo Almeida, Ricardo Costa, Nacho

Also brought in youngsters like - Robben, Varane, Cech, Casemiro, Zouma, G Johnson, J Cole

Loftus-Cheeks and Traore are getting game time recently, Traore was loaned out because he had transfer issues

Then again All clubs he played for hasn't really had many stars up coming. If you want to have a go at Mourinho, I think Guardiola has a bad record as well with no 1 mentions

Other news PSG is after Schweinsteiger - Hope its true

Messi the tax fraud - great image for youngsters

Madrid have bans but they'll come into place later in the next window I believe due to the appeals.

PSG buying Schweini does not make sense to me, they have enough mids as it is.

Does anyone have an opinion on what Depay's fate will be under Mourinho?

He'll have a chance, up to him to prove himself really. Not a starter though.

As for the 49 youth players, it was a headline statement from Mou. I'm sure we all know (Mou included) he didn't bring 49 players in. Giving a minute or two does not count. 

Clutching at straws indeed, but it did what Mou intended to do. Whether it's true or not is irrelevant imo as it obviously isn't. 

Now I don't know much about his pre-Inter days so I shall not talk about the players he used then, but:

Looking at the players he gave 'chances' to then, they were either at clubs with limited resources or limited talent. None of those players turned out into world superstars, so Mou could only work with what he had. That said, giving a handful of games does not count as bringing them up.

At Inter, Santon and Balotelli count as players he developed. The others (Krhin, Donati, Caldirola etc.) don't count.

At Real, he had a few more. Morata, Casemiro, Nacho, Jese. All of whom are still at the clubs, though not undisputed starters, with the first two at Madrid through leaving and then coming back. Others (Joselu, Mascarell, Jose Rodriguez, Cheryshev, Sarabia, Llorente, Adan are all at other clubs and you can't say Mou brought them. Fabinho in fact is now a starter at Monaco, ironically linked with Utd. 

At Chelsea (2nd), Kalas, Baker, Christensen, Traore, Swift, Solanke, RLC. All but two of whom are out on loan. Have to consider that Chelsea are a loan hub for youths. 

I'm contradicting myself here, but my point is Mou's claim was obviously false and not meant to be entirely factual. His use of data made a point though. A bigger point than LvG's long-ball dossier. If the youths are good enough they'll play. 

I have a sneaky feeling Madrid are going to come in at the end a steal Pogba from Man U, feel like they'll let Them do all the hard work with the negotiating with Juve and come in once a fee has been agreed, it's clear Pogba prefers Madrid but I'd really like to see him in the prem next season

Breaking News from skysports

We understand that Manchester United’s chief executive Ed Woodward has begun negotiations in the last 48 hours that could see Paul Pogba return to Old Trafford in a world record deal worth £100m.

Juventus are known to be keen to keep hold of the 23-year old, but would find it hard to resist such a deal, which would see Pogba earn up to £300K a week

Manchester United will reportedly target Blaise Matuidi if they are unable to get Paul Pogba

If there's any truth in Pogba for 100m and 300k a week that's just ludicrous. The money in football has gone crazy.

Indeed the money has gone crazy but clubs know the premier league has £££££££s to spend so players will cost them more than other league clubs most of the time.

Indeed the money has gone crazy but clubs know the premier league has £££££££s to spend so players will cost them more than other league clubs most of the time.

And is basically the only way some clubs can attract quality players. 

Not just that

Smaller clubs are buying/getting from youth for cheap and selling on for high amounts so they can reinvest - cycle continues - Big examples are A Madrid, Porto, Benfica and Roma

Still the Pogba story carries on, wish some deadweight got sold - Schweinsteiger, Fellaini and Rojo

Pogba story carries on - IMO looking 70% he coming - as Spanish papers, Spanish expert thinking the deal done, R Madrid are more interested in Kante, Raiola wants the move to happen(as he gets 20%)

It will put a statement to the rest of the league, Like Parlour said if he performs then people will forget his price tag

Mourinho wont be at Euro's finals

Mexican forward Lozano future is unclear as United were strongly linked, rumoured for 10-15mil and now saying they had no offers or nothing

Look like Juventus are interested in Depay, PSG interest in Schwienstiger has died, Koeman hasn't ruled out Mata

Pogba for 100 million is bad business, even if he performs at his very best week in week out. He's not Messi/Ronaldo level, and will never be for that matter, ergo in the same way that Bale is not worth the money, nor is he. Plus, if his ambition is to play in Spain, United should not be another stop gap.

The fact that Madrid are turning their attention to Kante is a clear sign of things. 

Breaking news

R Madrid has pulled out in the race to sign Pogba - rumoured Mata could be involved in Pogba deal

Varela and Blackett are to be sold by United - Accordingly likely to see Fosu-Mensah and Axel Tuanzebe involved in 1st team

think it's fair to say that when you price out Mafrid for a galactico you're paying way over the odds, he's a great player with a big future but the euros have been a clear sign that he's nowhere near worth the money being discussed in this deal but hey a player is worth what the buying team is willing to pay for him, good luck to all parties involved

think it's fair to say that when you price out Mafrid for a galactico you're paying way over the odds, he's a great player with a big future but the euros have been a clear sign that he's nowhere near worth the money being discussed in this deal but hey a player is worth what the buying team is willing to pay for him, good luck to all parties involved

Dybala said neither him or Pogba are leaving Juventus a few weeks ago but anyway Pogba to Utd for 100m is well worth considering they need his presence a lot. 

Very good Rahul. Just a quick one though, Newcastle are not called The Toons or Toons.

If you are looking for their nickname it is The Magpies. Their fans are referred to as the Toon Army but never with an s on the end.

Judge me if you must but Giggs leaving his assistant manager position is something I genuinely don't see as such a big deal...

His retirement from playing was incredibly emotional and he got every plaudit and fanfare anyone could possibly muster (deservedly so). He was undoubtably one of the greatest players in the premier league and a United legend but now we are looking at the 2nd chapter of his footballing career and that is management.

From a management perspective he has overseen nothing less than abject failure and so I mourn his passing out of management at United no greater than that of Moyes or LVG. He has not, for my money, contributed enough to the club after retirement in his managerial and coaching roles. At the end of the day he was offered every role possible in the club but not the manager's job and I actually find the fact that he has left because of that hilarious. How on earth he expected to be considered for the biggest job in English football with so few games and such little overall experience is beyond me!

Ryan Giggs had no right, no reason and no claim to being the next United manager and him leaving the club to manage elsewhere presumably is the right move for everyone but should have been done sooner and we shouldn't have had a media circus of his old mates saying how great he would be. Now he has the chance to actually go out and prove he's got what it takes and come back in the future having earned the right and I hope he does.

So am I sad? No, because he hasn't really left United. It will always be his footballing home and he will regardless of his personal exploits always be loved for being the stringy Welsh kid that did it all.

Because Chelsea fans are full of class...

See the above post, he's leaving as an assistant manager, completely different to his retirement which was a noteworthy event. Ryan Giggs was an excellent servant to the club as a footballer but as a coach he's done nothing to warrant admiration.

Pogba

Seeing as I have a few minutes I'd thought I'd weigh in on this too.

Two things really:

• If you think United have no chance of signing Pogba you're deluded.
  • If you think United have a chance of signing Pogba over Real Madrid you're deluded.
For me it seems pretty clear Mourinho wants to make him his star signing and the £80m /€100m fee is ridiculous BUT he is exactly the type of player we are missing right now. So when I see posters saying we could get 2 or 3 signings for that money my question is this; who could we buy that would do that job for us and what other 2 signings would you make? As far as I'm concerned there is no other high profile midfielder we could go for right now (though I'd love to see Kante come in - won't happen).

IMO it simply comes down to this, is he what we need? Yes, so we should buy him if possible. The problem is that if Real Madrid offer fees as high as us and wages then I can't see why Pogba would come. That being said I'm 100% convinced Real Madrid would have to sell someone to make room because I don't see Kroos, Modric and Pogba as being a workable midfield three at any club.

Essentially if I go full muppet mode I am excited, even if it highlights how terrible it was to lose him in the first place.

I wasn't actually including you in my original post similarly to Rahul, I thought that you would have offered a few words if you were still a regular poster.

Regardless of what he did or didn't do in a coaching role he is a club legend. If ever the word legend was more fitting In football it would be for Giggs.

I never mentioned giving him a huge fan fare send off or writing a heartfelt war and peace length post on him, however a few words for someone that has given his entire life to club on a day he leaves would seem to me to be the respectful thing to do.

I'm not even a United fan yet even I find it sad that a player of Giggs stature has left United along with sharing a few words about him.

Maybe being a bit older these things mean a bit more to me.

The Pogba deal could reach an eye watering €145 million, that is absolutely crazy money for him. Madrid pulled out due to not wanting to pay his agent the insane amount of €25 million just for Pogba's signature on a contract.

Yes he is a very good player on his day but he still looks inconsistent to me, I also don't think he is the player that United need either. Pogba seems best when he is more advanced and just behind the forward line. United already have plenty of this type of player, what I would say they need is a more tough tackling midfield general that can play the ball out and attack from deep. Someone more like Matuidi.

The Pogba deal could reach an eye watering €145 million, that is absolutely crazy money for him. Madrid pulled out due to not wanting to pay his agent the insane amount of €25 million just for Pogba's signature on a contract.

Yes he is a very good player on his day but he still looks inconsistent to me, I also don't think he is the player that United need either. Pogba seems best when he is more advanced and just behind the forward line. United already have plenty of this type of player, what I would say they need is a more tough tackling midfield general that can play the ball out and attack from deep. Someone more like Matuidi.

Rumours are that Utd are targeting Pogba AND Matuidi, so they could line up like this:

(4-2-3-1)- Schneiderlin, Matuidi; Martial, Pogba, Mkhitaryan; Ibra

OR

(4-3-3)- Schneiderlin, Pogba, Matuidi; Martial, Ibra, Mkhi

The price is too much for me too but like I've said it's not my money and I can't be bothered. Utd are spending what they've earnt over the years. 

Besides either ways Utd will get back the money on him. If he leaves after 3-4 years he'd have given the same time to the club at his peak while fetching a similar fee depending on his development from one of the Top 2 in Spain. TV shirt sales and commercials etc. will also get back the money.

On paper it's a lot but I think it'll be covered. Utd earn so much in a fiscal year as it is.

Very good Rahul. Just a quick one though, Newcastle are not called The Toons or Toons. 

If you are looking for there nickname it is The Magpies. There fans are referred to as the Toon Army but never with an s on the end.

Thanks! I thought I've seen the term used informally in articles and blogs, but maybe not. Thanks for letting me know :)

Breaking news

R Madrid has pulled out in the race to sign Pogba - rumoured Mata could be involved in Pogba deal

Varela and Blackett are to be sold by United - Accordingly likely to see Fosu-Mensah and Axel Tuanzebe involved in 1st team

Varela and Blackett need to be sold- no future at the club really with defensive prospects emerging. 

Rumours are that Utd are targeting Pogba AND Matuidi, so they could line up like this:

(4-2-3-1)- Schneiderlin, Matuidi; Martial, Pogba, Mkhitaryan; Ibra

OR

(4-3-3)- Schneiderlin, Pogba, Matuidi; Martial, Ibra, Mkhi

The price is too much for me too but like I've said it's not my money and I can't be bothered. Utd are spending what they've earnt over the years. 

Besides either ways Utd will get back the money on him. If he leaves after 3-4 years he'd have given the same time to the club at his peak while fetching a similar fee depending on his development from one of the Top 2 in Spain. TV shirt sales and commercials etc. will also get back the money.

On paper it's a lot but I think it'll be covered. Utd earn so much in a fiscal year as it is.

Thanks! I thought I've seen the term used informally in articles and blogs, but maybe not. Thanks for letting me know :)

Varela and Blackett need to be sold- no future at the club really with defensive prospects emerging. 

They do get called the Toon in papers quite often but again there is no S on the end.

It is a play on how it sounds when a Geordie says the word Town, as in "Goin up the Toon". They're a strange breed, you only have to look at Matt to see that!

Don't get me wrong, if the club have the money then spend it, i just feel that he is not worth the figure being asked and that you can get better value else where i.e Matuidi. However if you land both Pogba and Matuidi that would be an excellent midfield and certainly launch you in pole position for the title.

They do get called the Toon in papers quite often but again there is no S on the end.

It is a play on how it sounds when a Geordie says the word Town, as in "Goin up the Toon". They're a strange breed, you only have to look at Matt to see that!

Don't get me wrong, if the club have the money then spend it, i just feel that he is not worth the figure being asked and that you can get better value else where i.e Matuidi. However if you land both Pogba and Matuidi that would be an excellent midfield and certainly launch you in pole position for the title.

Thanks for letting me know  :)

Looks like Pogba won't move unless he pushes for a move, let's see if Woodward can convince him. 

United could of got younger Pogba as in Renato Sanches as he has the potential-64mil for 18 year old with potential or 100mil for Pogba- Pogba 100mil doesn't look at bad IMO.

Hopefully United sells schweinsteiger as he's 1 of high wagers- still hope rojo and fellaini get sold.

Really not sure what formation or how rooney will fit in the system as mourinho said he a forward

United could of got younger Pogba as in Renato Sanches as he has the potential-64mil for 18 year old with potential or 100mil for Pogba- Pogba 100mil doesn't look at bad IMO.

Hopefully United sells schweinsteiger as he's 1 of high wagers- still hope rojo and fellaini get sold.

Really not sure what formation or how rooney will fit in the system as mourinho said he a forward

After the Euros I'd beg to differ, Sanches looked the better player (based purely on the Euros).

Pogba could be anything but I was watching a video and both Balague and Petit are really not keen on him for €100m+. In fact one of them mentioned getting Luis Suarez for a lot less money considering the calibre of player, now that would be a game changer. I would have even thought a Griezmann would have cost a lot less, imagine him on the right, Mkhi in the middle and Martial on the left all behind Zlatan!

I think he could be the next big 'brand', a Messi, Ronaldo, Neymar, Bale, Drogba, Zlatan, Beckham but he is still very inconsistent and surprisingly immature. In terms of position, he is far better in the free role rather than DM, or even box to box (I find Matuidi better at this due to his endless energy) but at Utd there are 5/6 players competing for 3 positions basically. I can see the allure in signing Pogba I really can, but I do genuinely see signing a Matuidi or Verratti as a choice that would make FAR more sense for FAR less money.

I also would have a niggle in the back of my head about Real, Barca or Chelsea (& even City) not pursuing him as much as people thought they would.

Interesting & exciting times but it sounds like it is far from a done deal yet (Balague said it will happen this summer, can't remember if he reliable or not, especially when it is outside of La Liga).