Rishabh Desai

Official Manchester United Thread

After the Euros I'd beg to differ, Sanches looked the better player (based purely on the Euros).

Pogba could be anything but I was watching a video and both Balague and Petit are really not keen on him for €100m+. In fact one of them mentioned getting Luis Suarez for a lot less money considering the calibre of player, now that would be a game changer. I would have even thought a Griezmann would have cost a lot less, imagine him on the right, Mkhi in the middle and Martial on the left all behind Zlatan!

I think he could be the next big 'brand', a Messi, Ronaldo, Neymar, Bale, Drogba, Zlatan, Beckham but he is still very inconsistent and surprisingly immature. In terms of position, he is far better in the free role rather than DM, or even box to box (I find Matuidi better at this due to his endless energy) but at Utd there are 5/6 players competing for 3 positions basically. I can see the allure in signing Pogba I really can, but I do genuinely see signing a Matuidi or Verratti as a choice that would make FAR more sense for FAR less money.

I also would have a niggle in the back of my head about Real, Barca or Chelsea (& even City) not pursuing him as much as people thought they would.

Interesting & exciting times but it sounds like it is far from a done deal yet (Balague said it will happen this summer, can't remember if he reliable or not, especially when it is outside of La Liga)

Agree with this post. 

That attack would be amazing but that's for FIFA next year unfortunately. Signed a new contract and I doubt Utd will pay that much. Especially as Mkhi is seen as a RM.

Balague is a bit of a joke as he's said before Mou would not come to Utd, Ibra would not come, LvG would stay, track record has been pretty poor of late and he gets a lot of stick on Twitter, so I take his words with a pinch of salt when it comes to Utd. 

Pogba wants to stay but Juve silly to reject that money- who wins in this saga? Who knows.

Mou will have a back-up to Pogba though, so I'm not too worried, whether it's Matuidi or someone else. Let's see.

---

Excited for the Wigan friendly on Saturday (especially as it's at a convenient time for me to watch). Some youth players will be in the mix, Tuanzebe, Warren, Fosu-Mensah (who I hope does well).

Thought Varela might get a game but as he and Blackett are likely to leave- don't think so. Will Keane could be in with a shout but he should be leaving the club too and I hope he does- already 23 and best for him to start a career elsewhere. Johnstone could start as keeper with de Gea and Romero on holiday but I think Joel Castro Pereira should be given a chance as Johnstone is likely to leave the club too. 

Likes of Jones, Mata, Herrera, Young, Memphis, Wilson, Januzaj will have to impress. 

Looks like Ibra won't make his debut yet but Mkhi and Bailly could which is exciting. Also excited to see Shaw back in a Utd shirt (coincidentally his 21st birthday today- happy birthday Luke and hope you can kick on this season!). 

All in all things look good going forward and let's see what Mou does with this squad. 

This was United Last season - Yes LVG different to Mourinho

oqcdc3.jpg

Shows how bad United were, shows United need a Pogba type of player

2i0qiox.jpg

I know Serie A is nothing for Juventus but still Pogba graph is still impressive

Balague, I hate him, he such a Barcelona lover, shocked he not joining Barcelona and sticking by Messi

This was United Last season - Yes LVG different to Mourinho

oqcdc3.jpg

Shows how bad United were, shows United need a Pogba type of player

2i0qiox.jpg

I know Serie A is nothing for Juventus but still Pogba graph is still impressive

No, its not impressive. The standard of midfielders in Serie A was poor last season (5 top players, the rest mediocre). Granted it's the only stats you can use, but to call them impressive is a slight over exaggeration.

This is a complete misrepresentation. Might as well compare him to Vanarama Conference North Midfielders, make his states look even better.

Might be interesting using his stats from the Euros.

Louis van Deschamps completely misused Pogba and Martial, and so to use Pogba's Euros stats would also be an inaccurate representation, not withstanding the fact that it's only a sample of 7 games. 

This is also true.

Deschamps caved into pressure to play Payet, he wasn't going to do that with Martial too, which was kind of proved right overall as of what we saw of Martial it was the Monaco version and not the Utd version (you say misused for Martial, was he not played on the LW for France just like he has been for Utd?)

No, its not impressive. The standard of midfielders in Serie A was poor last season (5 top players, the rest mediocre). Granted it's the only stats you can use, but to call them impressive is a slight over exaggeration.

This is a complete misrepresentation. Might as well compare him to Vanarama Conference North Midfielders, make his states look even better.

Might be interesting using his stats from the Euros.

That's why I said underneath - I know Serie A is nothing for Juventus - but still they had tough matches vs Inter, Roma, Napoli etc

Looking at United chart, I know it from LVG season and shouldn't read much into it - United was well beaten on Aerial as mainly United did at time have a small height side, other stuff except duels can be easily explained as United had no freedom

Mourinho atm has build on the height with Bailly as CB put still no real height/aerial threat in midfield but Mkhitaryan and Ibra can bring assist, goals, more shots etc

Anyways Latest rumours are

- Pogba still on the cards - back ups as Matuidi or Matic

- Scouts are watching Reece Oxford

- Rumoured Mourinho might sell 4-8 players - 1 of them that hasn't been rumoured to go is Fellaini (pull my hair out, sell him for free)

Happy birthday to Luke Shaw

Pogba looking more likely to join United as Eric Bailly was wearing the number 6 in training but United came out and said this could change, Pogba was 6 at Juventus until Kherdia went there, also where is Juventus money coming from to sign Higuaín(if true)

Pogba looking more likely to join United as Eric Bailly was wearing the number 6 in training but United came out and said this could change, Pogba was 6 at Juventus until Kherdia went there, also where is Juventus money coming from to sign Higuaín(if true)

Grasping at straws here, even for you.

The Juventus money thing sure I can see a small amount of reasoning behind it. But the training top numbers is very far fetched for you, everyone knows nothing is set until clubs release their official numbers.

It's just that things have gone quiet on it all so you have to pluck something from Manchester Unitwitterland.

Worrying sights if even the generally deluded United social media followers are unsure about the signing of Paul Pogba for the quoted price. Many have said it before, and I'll happily repeat: very good player, but not worth more than about 50M and 150k/w at the moment. The fact that there are better players going for better prices is an indication of the (proposed) Pogba deal being overwhelmingly stupendous, in a strong negative sense that is. And quite honestly, I cannot see United make any RoE on him, as he is neither "world class" nor incredibly marketable. 

Some are obviously (still) spewing their habitual excrement, in saying that he'll either be "United's midfield man" for the next ten years, or that some club (presumably Real) will come and swoop him up in a few years time for double the price. And I can already tell you for a fact that the latter is impossible, especially if United are willing to break the 100M barrier to sign him. Pogba is not, and will never be at Messi or Ronaldo's level, and for a club to pay 200M, you would have to be that level at least. Forget about football becoming more and more lucrative, (a variant of) Moore's law is simply not applicable for sport, and expecting the 200M barrier to be broken within the next five years is, quite frankly ridiculous, and impossible might I add. Any later than five years, and he starts losing player value courtesy of age.

Secondly, I can disprove the former by taking the case of the Euro's as my example. Play him in a more defensive (midfield) position, and you are left with a very mediocre player. His defensive play is substandard to say the least, and the fact that he was destroyed by a much smaller player in the form of Joao Mario tells you that he is not as strong on the ball as people make him out to be. Not that the latter is weak by any means, but you would expect a player of his size to dominate most midfield adversaries. His tackling is decent, but nothing special, as he relies far too much on his lanky physique to recover lost balls. He's definitely not a technical tackler, like say Daley Blind. 

His passing is bang average as well. Despite being able to play the "risk-free" short pass (almost) without fail, his continuous urge to try the spectacular forty-yarders and back-heel flick-ons results in a lot of misplaced passes. Moreover, pressing him just makes his passing game more error-prone, as both Portugal and Germany demonstrated time and again. However, at Juve, he has been getting away with many of these mistakes because of two things: one, he plays way higher up the pitch, allowing for flamboyancy and extravagance to transpire, and secondly, he has the right players around him for that type of game. Ergo, for United to get the same out of him, they would have to buy Marchisio, Bonucci, Cuadrado and Evra as well, not to mention switch over to a 5-man midfield, with energetic wing-backs and high-pressing play. 

His finishing is very good, I have to admit, but definitely not 100M's worth.

Worrying sights if even the generally deluded United social media followers are unsure about the signing of Paul Pogba for the quoted price. Many have said it before, and I'll happily repeat: very good player, but not worth more than about 50M and 150k/w at the moment. The fact that there are better players going for better prices is an indication of the (proposed) Pogba deal being overwhelmingly stupendous, in a strong negative sense that is. And quite honestly, I cannot see United make any RoE on him, as he is neither "world class" nor incredibly marketable. 

Some are obviously (still) spewing their habitual excrement, in saying that he'll either be "United's midfield man" for the next ten years, or that some club (presumably Real) will come and swoop him up in a few years time for double the price. And I can already tell you for a fact that the latter is impossible, especially if United are willing to break the 100M barrier to sign him. Pogba is not, and will never be at Messi or Ronaldo's level, and for a club to pay 200M, you would have to be that level at least. Forget about football becoming more and more lucrative, (a variant of) Moore's law is simply not applicable for sport, and expecting the 200M barrier to be broken within the next five years is, quite frankly ridiculous, and impossible might I add. Any later than five years, and he starts losing player value courtesy of age.

Secondly, I can disprove the former by taking the case of the Euro's as my example. Play him in a more defensive (midfield) position, and you are left with a very mediocre player. His defensive play is substandard to say the least, and the fact that he was destroyed by a much smaller player in the form of Joao Mario tells you that he is not as strong on the ball as people make him out to be. Not that the latter is weak by any means, but you would expect a player of his size to dominate most midfield adversaries. His tackling is decent, but nothing special, as he relies far too much on his lanky physique to recover lost balls. He's definitely not a technical tackler, like say Daley Blind. 

His passing is bang average as well. Despite being able to play the "risk-free" short pass (almost) without fail, his continuous urge to try the spectacular forty-yarders and back-heel flick-ons results in a lot of misplaced passes. Moreover, pressing him just makes his passing game more error-prone, as both Portugal and Germany demonstrated time and again. However, at Juve, he has been getting away with many of these mistakes because of two things: one, he plays way higher up the pitch, allowing for flamboyancy and extravagance to transpire, and secondly, he has the right players around him for that type of game. Ergo, for United to get the same out of him, they would have to buy Marchisio, Bonucci, Cuadrado and Evra as well, not to mention switch over to a 5-man midfield, with energetic wing-backs and high-pressing play. 

I kinda disagree on stuff you put

You said "The fact that there are better players going for better prices" Like who? Their not many Top players out their, maybe got Renato Sanches or Kante cheaper but then United relying on Renato Sanches potential and Kante didn't want United .You said "he not incredibly marketable" well United do have a larger fan base, Marketing than Juventus and lots will buy Pogba shirt etc(tough call for some as people want Zlatan or Mkhitaryan shirts), United can make revenue out of him

2nd Paragraph -  Pogba isn't a Tax evader or Ronaldo, different positions and roles but top teams will want top money for their stars nowadays as their so much competition especially when clubs like PSG, City, China and others have riches to buy anything. People view striker/wings as top class players like probably you do, no 1 gives the credit to the Mid, Def and especially GK - when the last time  Def got top 3 in Ballon D'or or GK winning Ballon D'or?

£200mil barrier might never got broken but Players/Money getting thrown around so who knows

League is Strong, fast and physical, Suited for Pogba style. He was played wrong in France as I don't think Deschamps knew his best Mid. Blind is too slow and gets caught out of position a lot

United will probably buy Pogba £80mil and £20mil in add ons, at least United isn't hiding money unlike Barcelona on the Neymar deal - I don't mine the deal looking at deals below

You got Bayern buying 18 yrs old Renato Sanches £64mil

United buying 19 yrs old Martial £59mil

City regretfully buying a 20 yrs old bench sitter Sterling £50mil

Chelsea buying flop Torres £50mil

City buying 23 yrs old Kevin De Bruyne £50mil

United buying Di Maria £59mil

Agree with Ash here. I normally don't call you out as ridiculous but this is, how does temporary training numbers even make a difference?

Besides, Pogba could be a 7, 8, 10 or a 11. 

Out of the iconic numbers:

Memphis should be taken off the 7 for the next season, and perhaps give it to Ibra, who can handle the pressure of the no. 7.

Mata'll keep his 8 but he may well leave, so that may be vacant too.

Martial STAYS on 9, he's earned it.

Rooney should be taken off the 10 on performances but as he's captain and a long-time player odds are he'll stay. He sells the shirts.

Januzaj definitely should be taken off the 11 after two terrible years. 

For shirt sales, Ibra, Micki, Martial and Rooney likely to get the main numbers. 

This is pointless speculation though, so I'll leave it there.

---

Regarding Pogba, I've said a lot on him already, so I'm not going to say anything more. Not my money so I couldn't care less if Utd spend it. Sure, it's a lot, but a player is worth what he is to a club. And Utd can and will make it back. They have so much money as it is.

Also, a deal could be linked with Juve's pursuit for Higuain and that monstrous release clause. James Horncastle says Juve can afford Higuain, Pjaca, Gabigol now without selling Pogba, but I don't think so, especially as Bonucci'll get a new contract. Interesting to see. 

Delighted to see Mata get an assist in what might be one of his last "auditions" for Mourinho. In my opinion, he's a player United really need to keep, as he somehow manages to create chances and/or score goals when United seem to be lost for ideas. 

Impressive debuts for both Mkhitaryan and Bailly, with the former looking very good wearing that #10. Great to see Shaw back as well. Fosu-Mensah looking very solid in the back, with Pereira showing once again why he should be in contention for a starting spot. 

With all these players at United's disposal, and Mourinho's incredible injury record, you almost wonder whether United need another name.

Delighted to see Mata get an assist in what might be one of his last "auditions" for Mourinho. In my opinion, he's a player United really need to keep, as he somehow manages to create chances and/or score goals when United seem to be lost for ideas. 

Impressive debuts for both Mkhitaryan and Bailly, with the former looking very good wearing that #10. Great to see Shaw back as well. Fosu-Mensah looking very solid in the back, with Pereira showing once again why he should be in contention for a starting spot. 

With all these players at United's disposal, and Mourinho's incredible injury record, you almost wonder whether United need another name.

I know I thought Mata will go but I think he brings a good relationships/harmony to the team - not sure how other 13 missing will join the team, especially Rooney if Mourinho claims he's a striker still

good debut to Mkhitaryan and Bailly evenknow Bailly didn't have to work much, Bailly needs to learn the language

Tuanzebe and Pereira starting to get action

Great to see Shaw back

Can't criticise Depay, Looks he has more freedom, less greedy but still that role is Martial's

Herrera looked clumsy out there especially on tackles

Bigger tests is Dortmund and City

Still like to see a Stronghold in Midfield like Pogba, look how City's Toure powerhouse the league

Still like to see Blackett, Varela, Rojo(accordingly Villarreal after him), Schweinsteiger, Wilson(loan) Johnstone, Keane(loan), Fellaini(free) get sold/loan

Idk what going to happen with Januzaj or McNair, weren't involved today

Completely agree. Pretty much my entire assessment on the whole saga.

I don't understand why people are clamoring for Pogba to come in to sort out the midfield, he isn't really the type of player Untied need in midfield. Pogba plays best as a more attacking midfielder, someone that has plenty of space and can influence play further up the field.

He is definitely not a defensive midfielder, certainly not in the mold of say Kante.

For me Untied need a steely DM to compliment their attacking midfield options, they have plenty of top attacking midfield players but very little when it comes to someone willing and able to stay back, break up play, get nasty in challenges and protect that back line.

Mata was very impressive yesterday. Likely to get gametime in China too and I hope he impresses. He's a No. 10 Rooney can only dream of being.

Though his assist yesterday was not really a assist, more a gift from Jasskalainen. 

Micki was impressive too. Bailly grew into the game and that showboating before HT was great to see. Shaw too was going forward, Mou's very happy with him and so are we, if he gets through the season with no injuries he will be the best left-back in the league. Fosu-Mensah was good too. 

I was very happy with Andreas. LvG ruined his season but he was impressive as a No. 6, and maybe he could be a DM for us? I hope he is genuinely in the first-team plans this season. 

I know I thought Mata will go but I think he brings a good relationships/harmony to the team - not sure how other 13 missing will join the team, especially Rooney if Mourinho claims he's a striker still

good debut to Mkhitaryan and Bailly evenknow Bailly didn't have to work much, Bailly needs to learn the language

Tuanzebe and Pereira starting to get action

Great to see Shaw back

Can't criticise Depay, Looks he has more freedom, less greedy but still that role is Martial's

Herrera looked clumsy out there especially on tackles

Bigger tests is Dortmund and City

Still like to see a Stronghold in Midfield like Pogba, look how City's Toure powerhouse the league

Still like to see Blackett, Varela, Rojo(accordingly Villarreal after him), Schweinsteiger, Wilson(loan) Johnstone, Keane(loan), Fellaini(free) get sold/loan

Idk what going to happen with Januzaj or McNair, weren't involved today

Mata may not go, hopefully. 

He'll get games in China as Mou said Rooney, Smalling, Rashford won't play in China.

Tuanzebe too, great prospect.

Memphis was disappointing but it's only pre-season.

Ander isn't really a DM, so it's not a surprise.

Nick Powell looked like he wanted to kill the Utd team when he came on, lol.

Varela has interest from Frankfurt for a loan/buy option in it, wouldn't mind that. 

Blackett, Johnstone will all go. 

Will Keane should be sold, he's already 23 and his goal yesterday was a tap-in, shame his career petered out at Utd but he can make it as a Championship striker, so sell him.

Let's see about the others.

Fabinho been linked strongly today. I wouldn't mind him. Darmian and Fabinho competing for the RB spot. Valencia can go. 

He's young, athletic and can also fill in at DM. Very promising RB and one of the best in Ligue Un. For 22mil it would be a good deal. Mou also knows him from Real Madrid. All in all, would be a good buy. 

Other news related to United, Branson's Virgin Money has joined United long list of Commercial Partners, signed a 4 year deal so more money coming in

Zlatan can't take the role of king of Manchester from Cantona but he wants to become god of Manchester

Pogba story still rolls on, I thought this weekend Pogba was back from his US holidays

Rumours going on with Reece Oxford still

Still like to see deadwood sold - Schweinsteiger, Felliani, Rojo, Keane

Apparently Martial will be wearing #29 from next season onwards. Gutted.

Other news related to United, Branson's Virgin Money has joined United long list of Commercial Partners, signed a 4 year deal so more money coming in

Zlatan can't take the role of king of Manchester from Cantona but he wants to become god of Manchester

Pogba story still rolls on, I thought this weekend Pogba was back from his US holidays

Rumours going on with Reece Oxford still

Still like to see deadwood sold - Schweinsteiger, Felliani, Rojo, Keane

More money yay.

Lol Zlatan, but Cantona will always be the king/god of Manchester.

Pogba is not flying to Australia for pre-season (due to Euro 2016) so any move will hopefully escalate in this week. 

Oxford won't move, no chance of that, and we don't need him either. Andreas/Fosu-Mensah should be given chances instead.

Yes deadwood to be sold- but you're repeating the same thing every day. 

The Utd 25-man squad for the China tour:

De Gea, Romero, Johnstone

Bailly, Blind, Fosu-Mensah, Jones, McNair, Rojo, Shaw, Smalling, Tuanzebe, Valencia

Carrick, Herrera, Januzaj, Lingard, Mata, Memphis, Mkhitaryan, Andreas, Young

Keane, Rashford, Rooney

Any notable omissions:

GK: Castro Pereira is off to Olympics, so he's not on tour.

DF: Varela and Blackett not going on tour as expected, likely to leave the club soon. Borthwick-Jackson is apparently injured. Darmian on holiday.

MF: Fellaini, Schneiderlin, Schweini all on holiday.  

FW: Martial and Ibra on holiday. Wilson not going which means he's probably leaving the club on loan.

So all in all, no Darmian, Fellaini, Schneiderlin, Martial, Ibra, Schweinsteiger on tour, plus any potential signings (ahem ahem Pogba). 

Pretty standard squad, and it's good to see Tuanzebe on tour. 

Johnstone and Keane going means he won't leave the club till post-tour. Keane's going as there's no other striker.

25-man squad but Rashford, Rooney and Smalling are not going to play which makes it a 22-man squad. 

Now when you look at it Utd have 25 going on tour plus at least 6 not going, which makes it about 30. Definitely there'll be 5-6 departures excluding the youths who haven't gone.

Hope the squad get a good workout in China, not too bothered about the results but would be good to beat City early doors.