Rishabh Desai

Official Manchester United Thread

Lindelof has been absolutely terrible in the games I've followed so far - not an ounce of composure, despite that being one of his fortés. Based on that I'd expect to see Bailly and Jones to be the CB duo for the start of the season.

Impressed with [Andreas] Pereira and Fosu-Mensah.

12 hours ago, AniAniAni said:

Lindelof has been absolutely terrible in the games I've followed so far - not an ounce of composure, despite that being one of his fortés. Based on that I'd expect to see Bailly and Jones to be the CB duo for the start of the season.

Lindelof needs game time under his belt, He has been good except for giving away a penalty vs Madrid but he has to learn from that, even Jones and Smalling has messed up in these friendlies. I expect Bailly and Lindelof to be CB pairing

Pereira been proving a point. Martial yesterday shown his talent but he needs to find it consistency then it be hard to drop him, If he does this consistency, we wouldn't need to buy Perisic.

Rashford finding his scoring boots when he gets a chance

Fellaini yesterday in the 82 minute should of scored, he even could of took a touch

Poor Penalties from both, I doubt them players will get another chance but maybe the heat got to them

Why couldn't Ronald Mcdonald be the ref, that would of been different, prob would of been better than the English refs

Why does Lindelof need time?? He has just come off the back of a big campaign with Benfica, his skill set of defending does not require time to hone, its his job first and foremost

He is and always was overrated.  The list of defenders coming over from Portugal and not being as great as made out is pretty lengthy

16 hours ago, -JMH- said:

Why does Lindelof need time?? He has just come off the back of a big campaign with Benfica, his skill set of defending does not require time to hone, its his job first and foremost

He is and always was overrated.  The list of defenders coming over from Portugal and not being as great as made out is pretty lengthy

Lindelof needs to adapt and create a partnership with another CB if United plays 2 at back, I want to see Bailly and Lindelof together but haven't seen yet. Benfica and United are 2 different levels.

I think the last defenders come over from Portugal was David Luiz, Bruno Martins Indi, Mangala, Soares. I know it does look bad but I have faith in him

Good game vs Barcelona, 1 mistake from Valencia cost United

On 24/07/2017 at 0:19 AM, AniAniAni said:

20 hours ago, -JMH- said:

He may be over-rated, I don't know, I haven't seen him play at all but let me give you a perspective from my own experience why he may need time to "settle in".

I once played against a future (I emphasise future) Full England International forward, he was 19yo & I was the same. TBH it was pre-season on Huddersfield Town's pitch & I had direct resposibility to mark this "budding star" out of the game. I'd just joined my club & it was inferior to Huddersfield Town no doubt. I've never played a worse game, I was all-over the place & completely lost my composure. I was well known for man-marking & composure. I look back on the game (he scored 3!) & it all felt totally new to my previous side way of play & everybody seemed out of place. I felt i was "in a spin" almost dizzy, the game flew. I was never tight on him & he was just too quick to the ball & grew in confidence throughout.

To cut a long story short, we played again later in the propper season & we won 1-0 on our own pitch. He never got a look in & looked half hearted as I was really tight & first to the ball. All my team were now fully prepared & we were a "confident Team" having won a number of games on the bounce. It was still a big shock for them.

So don't give up on Lindelof, he might just be in a "big spin" at the moment & he'll show his true composure, get his head together in due course...

The Guy I marked was Frank Worthington who went on to play for Huddersfield Town, Bolton, Leeds United, Birmingam, Sunderland, Southampton, Tampa Bay & many others including 8 Caps for England, But yes b4 u say it, it was a long time ago! :)

Ps He is right now facing his greatest ever battle, unfortunately it's an unfair one against Alzheimers... :(

11 hours ago, Allan-NI said:

Talk that Fellaini is off to Galatasaray.. We better have a replacement lined up. Or, and I never thought I'd say this, we'll miss him.

Won't miss him, even know he does score goals and some important goals last year but he does cost United like last year vs Everton

When United play Fellaini, United are so 1 dimensional - hoof to him. I don't like it 

Accordingly United are watching Anderlecht's Dendoncker, Matic is still on the cards to come

A Least Uefa not on United backs about FFP unlike City and maybe PsG

In Norway today vs Valerenga today

Matic to Utd confirmed.

I am not overly fussed whatsoever about losing him as the fee is absolutely brilliant. What I am fussed about is his usefulness at Utd - in the last two years he has genuinely forgotten how to intercept and tackle but its the likes of Mkhi who will benefit from the move. He is there to fill a gap, and whether is good (he isnt that good) or not he'll sit there content at DM.

Manchester United slowly turning into Mancheslea United.

1 hour ago, ashtini said:

Matic to Utd confirmed.

I am not overly fussed whatsoever about losing him as the fee is absolutely brilliant. What I am fussed about is his usefulness at Utd - in the last two years he has genuinely forgotten how to intercept and tackle but its the likes of Mkhi who will benefit from the move. He is there to fill a gap, and whether is good (he isnt that good) or not he'll sit there content at DM.

Manchester United slowly turning into Mancheslea United.

Seems United squad are getting stronger and taller(except Mata, Blind and Mkhitaryan)

Matic hopefully a good signing, normally Players that used to be under Mourinho management turns out good signings like Carvalho, Essien, Ibra. Carrick don't get the credit for his role over the years but Matic seems a good fit

I am not sure on the formation and who is a starter this year for United(obv De Gea, Valencia, Herrera, Pogba, Lukaku, hope Rashford)

Like to see Ibra stay

And for a second time this transfer window, United have had their pants pulled down to their ankles. 

Don't get me wrong, Matic is good, but only on a good day, and 40M for a player who is very much hot and cold is just way too much. Plus he's not particularly young anymore, which makes this "investment" even crazier. Not saying Chelsea will have it any easier with Bakayoko, but at least the latter has time (and room) to improve. 

It is also gutting to see that this all but confirms Blind's status at United, as he'll most definitely be limited to performances as a full back (and centre back if need be) - a shame really, as I really wanted to see him make that holding midfield position his own. He's basically got the same demeaour as Carrick, and would only become better in that role if tutored in the appropriate way, but it seems like Jose's got different plans. 

Plus, with Perisic looking unlikely, I'd hazard a guess and say that this was United's last activity in this transfer window. I'd obviously still want to see some players leave (cough Smalling cough, cough Jones cough), though Mourinho has made it clear that he wants to keep the squad as large as possible, which is understandable.

Also delighted to hear that he's not planning on loaning anyone out, meaning that [Andreas] Pereira finally gets to show his worth. Definitely expecting big stuff from him, and also from some of the youngsters who have demonstrated some promising stuff in this pre-season tour, i.e. McTominay, Fosu-Mensah, Mitchell, etc.

With that in mind, here's my predictions for the line-ups:

De Gea/Romero (Pereira)

Valencia (Fosu-Mensah/Young**)     Bailly (Jones/Smalling/Blind)    Lindelof (Rojo*)           Darmian/Shaw (Blind)

Matic/Carrick

Herrera (Pereira/McTominay)           Pogba (Fellaini)

Mkhitaryan/Mata (Lingard)                                                         Rashford/Martial

Lukaku (Rashford/Martial/Ibrahimovic***)

* I'd expect Rojo to start against most opponents, as he's really turned into a solid centre back under Mourinho. Plus, he has the aggressivity you often need against the top teams (though preferably moderate aggressivity, meaning no two-footers and flying elbows). Lindelof will have time until the new year to prove me wrong though.

** Young will probably be second choice once he comes back from injury, though only time can tell how important Fosu-Mensah becomes in this upcoming season. Judging by what I've seen so far, if you are able to keep Gareth Bale in your back pocket for a solid 45 minutes, you deserve to be in contention for a starting spot in this United team, not to forget the amount of players he kept schtum when playing in good ol' Aloysius' United side.

*** Aah, Zlatan... Well if he does stay, which I think he will, the main question is whether or not he'll be ahead of Lukaku in the pecking order. And honestly, I just cannot see Zlatan playing second fiddle to anyone, let alone someone with the same amount of technique he has in his left testicle. A big game player Lukaku will unfortunately never be, as he just lacks the mentality for it, so Zlatan starts if fit.

Mourinho has made it clear that the squad will rotate throughout the season, and in all competitions, meaning that even the goalkeeper's spot is not fixed. I find that fair to be honest, especially considering how Romero has been an incredible professional since joining the club. He's a great goalkeeper, and I'd definitely understand the point in choosing him over De Gea for certain games, as he for one has an impeccible aerial presence, which in turn is still De Gea's main weakness.

It will definitely be interesting to see how all of this materialises of course, as in theory United once again have one of the strongest teams on paper, though that means little to nothing nowadays. 

14 hours ago, AniAniAni said:

And for a second time this transfer window, United have had their pants pulled down to their ankles. 

Don't get me wrong, Matic is good, but only on a good day, and 40M for a player who is very much hot and cold is just way too much. Plus he's not particularly young anymore, which makes this "investment" even crazier. Not saying Chelsea will have it any easier with Bakayoko, but at least the latter has time (and room) to improve. 

It is also gutting to see that this all but confirms Blind's status at United, as he'll most definitely be limited to performances as a full back (and centre back if need be) - a shame really, as I really wanted to see him make that holding midfield position his own. He's basically got the same demeaour as Carrick, and would only become better in that role if tutored in the appropriate way, but it seems like Jose's got different plans. 

Plus, with Perisic looking unlikely, I'd hazard a guess and say that this was United's last activity in this transfer window. I'd obviously still want to see some players leave (cough Smalling cough, cough Jones cough), though Mourinho has made it clear that he wants to keep the squad as large as possible, which is understandable.

Also delighted to hear that he's not planning on loaning anyone out, meaning that [Andreas] Pereira finally gets to show his worth. Definitely expecting big stuff from him, and also from some of the youngsters who have demonstrated some promising stuff in this pre-season tour, i.e. McTominay, Fosu-Mensah, Mitchell, etc.

With that in mind, here's my predictions for the line-ups:

De Gea/Romero (Pereira)

Valencia (Fosu-Mensah/Young**)     Bailly (Jones/Smalling/Blind)    Lindelof (Rojo*)           Darmian/Shaw (Blind)

Matic/Carrick

Herrera (Pereira/McTominay)           Pogba (Fellaini)

Mkhitaryan/Mata (Lingard)                                                         Rashford/Martial

Lukaku (Rashford/Martial/Ibrahimovic***)

* I'd expect Rojo to start against most opponents, as he's really turned into a solid centre back under Mourinho. Plus, he has the aggressivity you often need against the top teams (though preferably moderate aggressivity, meaning no two-footers and flying elbows). Lindelof will have time until the new year to prove me wrong though.

** Young will probably be second choice once he comes back from injury, though only time can tell how important Fosu-Mensah becomes in this upcoming season. Judging by what I've seen so far, if you are able to keep Gareth Bale in your back pocket for a solid 45 minutes, you deserve to be in contention for a starting spot in this United team, not to forget the amount of players he kept schtum when playing in good ol' Aloysius' United side.

*** Aah, Zlatan... Well if he does stay, which I think he will, the main question is whether or not he'll be ahead of Lukaku in the pecking order. And honestly, I just cannot see Zlatan playing second fiddle to anyone, let alone someone with the same amount of technique he has in his left testicle. A big game player Lukaku will unfortunately never be, as he just lacks the mentality for it, so Zlatan starts if fit.

Mourinho has made it clear that the squad will rotate throughout the season, and in all competitions, meaning that even the goalkeeper's spot is not fixed. I find that fair to be honest, especially considering how Romero has been an incredible professional since joining the club. He's a great goalkeeper, and I'd definitely understand the point in choosing him over De Gea for certain games, as he for one has an impeccible aerial presence, which in turn is still De Gea's main weakness.

It will definitely be interesting to see how all of this materialises of course, as in theory United once again have one of the strongest teams on paper, though that means little to nothing nowadays. 

Matic is good player but never got the praise as Kante got all, Matic likes to have possession - Mourinho can get the best out of him. Kinda like Carrick - He does his job, no 1 really pays attention to his work. IMO Blind was a bad LVG buy, He got the smart footballing brain but he lacks the pace and strength, Lukaku would kill him with his strength.

I don't like Mkhitaryan out wide, he likes to be central but with that formation, that the only place he can fit, played there many times.

Ibra took the bench in some Europa cup games last year, Ibra a good role model for Lukaku and Rashford but I think Ibra will be on bench more unless Lukaku has bad form as hardly anyone recovers 100% from them injuries like Hargreaves, Shaw atm. Lukaku can be a big game player but we wait and see.

De Gea all day for me in goal, Pogba, Lukaku, Herrera, Valencia all should be defo starters until its Carling Cup or FA Cup

Mixed feelings about TFM going to Palace - on one hand I will be happy to watch him grow under a manager that knows him very well, but on the other hand I feel like this is just another one of Mourinho's plans to get rid of the less-experienced players, only to replace them with overpaid, overhyped morons.

Mixed feelings about TFM going to Palace - on one hand I will be happy to watch him grow under a manager that knows him very well, but on the other hand I feel like this is just another one of Mourinho's plans to get rid of the less-experienced players, only to replace them with overpaid, overhyped morons.

Mourinho feels he needs to mature as a player and get game time under his belt - Look at Lukaku, he needed maturing

I think it is good - TFM will gets stronger

I'm starting to think that the Carlton Palmer comparisons are more of an insult to him than to Pogba.

Absolutely horrendous once again, and for anyone wondering what the best midfielders in the world look like, they were all wearing black today. Modric MOTM.

Very Harsh on United - thought they played well - Slight offside goal for Casemiro but hard spot

United and Madrid both had chances, could of been any scoreline

Lukaku scoring goals is positive, Matic proving himself, Rashford was great coming on, Pogba trying to create and score.  Downside is United need that CB partnership to build.