Rishabh Desai

Official Manchester United Thread

1 minute ago, AniAniAni said:

Was hoping for no Russian team, but I'll take it. 

Spurs seem to be heading for the Europa League once again...

I thought we might get Benfica, was hoping Feyenoord in last pot as it would of been Van Persie return

Should be no excuses for United, Liverpool or City(hoping Liv and city got harder ties)

Spurs can join Arsenal

1 sided game - Should of been more IMO - no 1 played bad - Land of the Gaints

Great CB partnership starting, been missing for a few years

IMO Maguire deserved MOTM

@1000dB United except this year and '15 I think has always been in pot 1 and that pot normally easy to teams, Plus Roma '07 squad and Valencia '10 ain't easy. What I can see United like drawing a Portuguese side.

1 hour ago, TalentSearcher said:

@1000dB United except this year and '15 I think has always been in pot 1 and that pot normally easy to teams, Plus Roma '07 squad and Valencia '10 ain't easy. What I can see United like drawing a Portuguese side.

Oh yea right, top seeds only are drawn into soft groups and never a group of death. Being in pot 1 doesn't mean you get an easy group every year for a decade, sweetie.

12 hours ago, 1000dB said:

Oh yea right, top seeds only are drawn into soft groups and never a group of death. Being in pot 1 doesn't mean you get an easy group every year for a decade, sweetie.

Only crying as you got A.Madrid and could be tricky Roma

United don't get easy groups all the time, might be easy on paper but can sometimes not plan out that way. Remember the famous CL of 99 when United were in the group of death and only top team qualified, United and Madrid qualified as best runners up.

37 minutes ago, TalentSearcher said:

United don't get easy groups all the time, might be easy on paper but can sometimes not plan out that way. Remember the famous CL of 99 when United were in the group of death and only top team qualified, United and Madrid qualified as best runners up.

Haha this is glorious - having to reference back to 18 years ago.

Utd always get an easy draw.

57 minutes ago, TalentSearcher said:

That's very rude, mate. There's no need to be this upset.

Besides I'd rather watch CL worthy ties than wade through Manure in what's basically an EL group.

Mahrez to United? Wouldn't be unthinkable, and let's face it, he is quality. Would definitely improve the attacking options, and as it stands United don't have a left-footed through and through winger. 

Chelsea and Barcelona seem to be leading the race though, and I'd rather see him join the former than leave the Premier League. 

Well done to Mourinho on playing as a keeper in the Grenfell match today even know it was last minute thing, Got booked for time wasting but I doubt he would of done it if he was Chelsea boss

Mourinho can score a penalty unlike Morata who couldn't put it on target

Mourinho can even take a laugh when Shearer said they tried to get the best successful manager in England but Sir Alex was busy

Bailly at fault for the first goal; Jones at fault for the second. Bar that, one great save by De Gea, but a tepid defensive performance. Even Valencia, who is usually solid, looked weak and unsure against an albeit fantastic Choupo-Moting. Darmian faired reasonably well against Shaqiri, but offered very little going forward, and that basically made it very easy for Stoke to defend. Not sure how Lindelof would have done today, but Mourinho should have played Blind, who has been great so far. 

Lukaku was poor, but not as poor as the red torch in the midfield. Another bunch of misplaced passes and failed tricks by the man who has had more haircuts than good games in a red shirt.

United missed Zlatan today.

Good game, nothing out of the ordinary, but great to see Lindelof put in a solid performance.

Young was outstanding, and Blind did a pretty good job on the left too. Smalling was decent.

Fellaini deserves a mention as well, as I think he did a great job filling in for Pogba. Obviously hoping that the latter's injury isn't serious, but I wouldn't be worried with the likes of Carrick and Herrera also being options.

Young MOTM, Fellaini close second.

1st 15minutes was all over Everton, Lukaku should of scored his chance

2nd Half were poor until 80th min, De Gea saves was needed

People critical about what Pogba brings, but that game shows United need Pogba as Pogba loves to get the ball and control the game. LB Spot an issue for United, Need a perm LB.

18 hours ago, TalentSearcher said:

Man United make record revenue of £581m and £81m profits for their annual figures. United Debt has dropped for £261mil to £213mil.

Part of me wishes they would just wipe the whole thing out, but as long as it's being managed properly we can't complain.

Future looking positive again! 

8 hours ago, tupac_healy said:

Part of me wishes they would just wipe the whole thing out, but as long as it's being managed properly we can't complain.

Future looking positive again! 

It's been steady for as long as I can remember, so like you say there would be no real need to erase it in one go. Should add that Facebook and Amazon seem to be showing serious interest in securing the TV rights for the next PL season, which would only make the said revenue larger.

Dreadful performance today; Southampton will feel like there was something to be taken.

United losing every midfield battle from the get-go, with negative passing to be seen once again. Whenever someone did try to pass the ball forwards, it was either misplaced or intercepted. Mkhitaryan and Rashford poor, Mata completely out of the game and the Matic-Fellaini combo very shaky - hate to say it, but Pogba was missed today.

Defensively, Valencia was completely rattled by Redmond, and Young always looked unsure of his bit. Jones was the standout performer, with several important interceptions and blocks. If he can just stay fit...

Lukaku might have done all he could today, but with few good chances missed, and the opportunity to play it into Fellaini on the counter not taken, he shows once again that he's lacking the intelligence of, say an Alvaro Morata. He'll get goals in this United team, but more often than not it's incredibly frustrating to see him be clumsy and unaware of what is going on around him.

Despite this though, no mention-worthy save for De Gea, and another clean sheet to report.

58 minutes ago, AniAniAni said:

Dreadful performance today; Southampton will feel like there was something to be taken.

United losing every midfield battle from the get-go, with negative passing to be seen once again. Whenever someone did try to pass the ball forwards, it was either misplaced or intercepted. Mkhitaryan and Rashford poor, Mata completely out of the game and the Matic-Fellaini combo very shaky - hate to say it, but Pogba was missed today.

Defensively, Valencia was completely rattled by Redmond, and Young always looked unsure of his bit. Jones was the standout performer, with several important interceptions and blocks. If he can just stay fit...

Lukaku might have done all he could today, but with few good chances missed, and the opportunity to play it into Fellaini on the counter not taken, he shows once again that he's lacking the intelligence of, say an Alvaro Morata. He'll get goals in this United team, but more often than not it's incredibly frustrating to see him be clumsy and unaware of what is going on around him.

Despite this though, no mention-worthy save for De Gea, and another clean sheet to report.

Not the best performance but Mourinho brought in Lukaku to turn draws into wins and that's what happened at the start of the season, scored 6 in league and 2 Europe.

United need Pogba in Midfield, People say he's a waste etc but he's not, he always wants the ball(most touches normally) and to control the play as you normally see him pointing to players to pass to etc - Like to dictate the game

Bit harsh on Valencia as He was doubled up and Mata less defensive minded to help cover, Young not a LB, I want to see Shaw at LB - Still 5 clean sheets out of 6

Mourinho said, Attack didn't look sharp today, not sure why but he knew if he parked the bus n got a clean sheet, its 3 points as Southampton went more direct so he made it a back 5 with Smalling.

Hope the United fans can stop the Lukaku chants

Pogba is incredibly wasteful though. You're right in saying that he loves to be on the ball, but more often than not he loves it a bit too much, and ends up doing something stupid to concede possession. Though today Matic and Fellaini didn't quite cut it - too static, and perhaps too prudent in their style of play.

Shaw might have to wait for some time going by Mourinho's latest remarks, but I agree that a fixed left back would sort out any defensive instabilities. Valencia was all over the place today though.

32 minutes ago, AniAniAni said:

Pogba is incredibly wasteful though. You're right in saying that he loves to be on the ball, but more often than not he loves it a bit too much, and ends up doing something stupid to concede possession. Though today Matic and Fellaini didn't quite cut it - too static, and perhaps too prudent in their style of play.

Shaw might have to wait for some time going by Mourinho's latest remarks, but I agree that a fixed left back would sort out any defensive instabilities. Valencia was all over the place today though.

You say Pogba wasteful but last season he created the most chances in the league even know only few were taken. Pogba has strength to keep the ball and at time dictate to others where to pass, can turn defence into attack by 1 pass and joins in the attacks. He is badly needed for the reasons I think even if he concedes possession once or twice a game.

LB spot needs a perm player, not keep switching Young, Darmian, Shaw, Rojo and Blind. Blind too slow even know he played well as LB, Young too attack minded and leaves space behind, Darmian is too inconsistent and leaves space behind, Rojo wants CB role - United need to see what Shaw can do, paying 30mil for him

On 23-9-2017 at 9:18 PM, TalentSearcher said:

You say Pogba wasteful but last season he created the most chances in the league even know only few were taken. Pogba has strength to keep the ball and at time dictate to others where to pass, can turn defence into attack by 1 pass and joins in the attacks. He is badly needed for the reasons I think even if he concedes possession once or twice a game.

LB spot needs a perm player, not keep switching Young, Darmian, Shaw, Rojo and Blind. Blind too slow even know he played well as LB, Young too attack minded and leaves space behind, Darmian is too inconsistent and leaves space behind, Rojo wants CB role - United need to see what Shaw can do, paying 30mil for him

No he didn't. Not even close. On Whoscored he doesn't even make the top 10. Same story on others sites:

FnhieMG.jpg

Zlatan missed the most big chances though and if you recall that Sky "article" Lukaku had an insane big chance conversion rate. IIRC over 60% while other PL strikers only managed half of that. Koeman, Martinez and Henry giving Lukaku plaudits for his clinical finishing isn't unwarranted at all.

@AniAniAni Lukaku has been carrying the one-trick pony moniker since his Anderlecht days. If that one trick is scoring lots and lots of goals he'll have a great future nonetheless. He has scored plenty outside of the PL, e.g. EL top scorer a few years ago, but let's look at how he did in the PL. Lukaku's tally of 91 PL goals is impressive. He's already outscoring the likes of Bergkamp, Cantona, et al. while this season he'll most likely overtake the likes of Drogba and Van Nistelrooy and if he spends his career playing in the PL he could break Shearer's record or at least he's well on his way to end up very high on the all-time top scorer chart.

Lukaku's goal-scoring record in the PL is even more impressive when you consider his young age, that he didn't see PL action in his first year (would have already passed the 100 PL goals mark had he been loaned out seeing he scored plenty the year before and after), that he was loaned out on deadline day in 2 seasons (having to adjust to a new team at the last possible moment), that Lukaku was feeding of scraps at WBA and Everton compared to Kane at Spurs for example (even though Eriksen didn't have the most assists last season Spurs created the most chances), etc. Also, he provides a lot more assists than the likes of Kane. Lukaku has 48 assists (35 in the PL) v. Kane's 15 in the PL. Not bad at all for a so-called poacher. At least Lukaku dares to leave his comfort zone. Yet I can't really blame Kane for enjoying the great service he receives.

The pundits keep stressing that Lukaku's goal-scoring record is phenomenal. It really is. IIRC only Messi and Raul outscored him at the same age in their pro careers. From an article a while back (total goals, not only in the league):

Goals by the age of 23
5. Ibrahimovic...65 (a lot of these were scored in Jozy Altidore's Eredivisie where teams don't defend)
4. Rooney..........100
3. Suarez...........107
2. CR7................110
1. Lukaku...........151