Official Manchester United Thread

Rishabh Desai

Re: Official Red Devils thread

06/01/2008 19:13, Report by Adam Bostock

Ferguson to face his son?

Sir Alex Ferguson will be looking for a family affair when the FA Cup fourth round draw is made on Monday afternoon (13:30 GMT).

The boss was delighted son Darren's team joined the Reds in reaching the last 32. League Two side Peterborough punched above their weight to knock out Championship club Colchester and will now hope to be rewarded with a money-spinning fourth round tie.

Sir Alex told MUTV: "We'd like a home draw and it would be great if it was against Peterborough... it would give my son Darren a good cheque!"

United are one of only six top-flight teams definitely in the fourth round, the others being Middlesbrough, Wigan, Portsmouth, Chelsea and Arsenal who beat Burnley 2-0 away on Sunday.

Liverpool, Derby, Fulham and United's next league opponents Newcastle also played on Sunday but they could only draw with lower league sides, namely Luton, Sheffield Wednesday, Bristol Rovers and Stoke City respectively.

However, replays for those clubs are respectable by comparison with Bolton, Blackburn and Everton who suffered shock exits at home to Sheffield United, Coventry and Oldham. Birmingham were also knocked out, away to Huddersfield, while Roy Keane's Sunderland lost at home to Steve Bruce's Wigan.

07/01/2008 09:41, Report by Gemma Thompson

Edwin happy to stay

Edwin van der Sar has spoken of his delight at extending his contract with the Reds for a further year.

Sir Alex Ferguson revealed last month that a new deal had been agreed with the Dutch stopper until the end of the 2008/09 campaign.

And 37-year-old van der Sar, who joined United in June 2005, says he couldn't be happier with life at Old Trafford.

"I'm delighted to have agreed a new deal," he told MUTV.

"As we did last year, we said we'd evaluate things in December and both parties were very happy with things so there was no reason for me to quit.

"I'm still feeling very good [in terms of fitness] and with the way the team plays and everything about the club it's a delight to be here."

Sir Alex was equally pleased to have secured van der Sar's services for a further year.

The Reds boss added: "Edwin's consistency and experience have been a great help to this club and I'm delighted he's staying on."

07/01/2008 09:51, Report by Ben Hibbs

Manucho strikes for Angola

New United signing Manucho was on target for Angola as they continue their preparations for the African Nations Cup later this month.

The 24-year-old striker, who impressed on a three-week trial late last year, must wait to be granted a work permit before being allowed to complete his move to Old Trafford.

The Angolan forward struck the only goal of the friendly match against Dutch side Willem II in Portugal on Sunday.

Angola play Egypt in Lisbon on Thursday in their next warm-up match before their opening game African Nations Cup against South Africa in Tamale on 23 January.

05/01/2008 14:01, Report by Ben Hibbs

U18s: United 3 Wolves 1

United's Under-18s kicked off 2008 in style with a 3-1 win over Wolverhampton Wanderers at Carrington.

The young Reds resumed Premier Academy League action after the recent winter break, and did so in style.

England youth international striker Danny Welbeck scored United's opening goal. Then Reds winger Cameron Stewart added another shortly before half-time.

Skipper Corry Evans struck almost immediately after the break to ensure all three points and an excellent start to the new year.

The Reds make the short trip to Bolton on Saturday before taking on Carlisle in the FA Youth Cup fourth round on Wednesday 16 January.

The match will be played at Northwich FC's Victoria Ground. Kick-off is at 7pm. Click here for directions to the stadium.

United: Woods; Moffat, James, Gill (McCormack 46), Dudgeon (Galbraith 61); Bryan, Eikrem, Drinkwater, Stewart; Bryan (Brandao 76), Welbeck.

Subs not used: Curran, Norwood.

Reds get top-flight draw

United have been drawn at home against either Tottenham or Reading in the FA Cup fourth round.

The Reds beat Aston Villa 2-0 in the third round with goals from Cristiano Ronaldo and Wayne Rooney.

FA Cup Fourth Round Draw

Arsenal v Stoke City/Newcastle

Coventry v Walsall/Millwall

Oldham v Huddersfield Town

Wigan v Chelsea

Luton/Liverpool v Swansea/Havant & Waterlooville

Southend v Barnsley

Southampton v Norwich/Bury

Man Utd v Tottenham/Reading

Portsmouth v Plymouth

Derby/Sheff Wed v Preston

Watford v Wolves

Peterborough v Charlton/West Brom

Sheff Utd v West Ham/Man City

Mansfield v Middlesbrough

Tranmere/Hereford v Cardiff

Ties to be played on 26 and 27 January.

Its at Old Trafford. Reading are great at home but horrible away. They did get a draw at old trafford but we weren't playing well then.

I'd rather play tottenham. We don't usually lose to Tottenham and it would be a far better match. Unless Reading play like they did last year in that 3-2 match which was great to watch.

Success boosts Man Utd finances

Manchester United have moved to the top of the UK's football financial league after reporting record turnover for 2006/07 of £245m ($481m), a 27% rise.

That puts them ahead of the £200.8m reported by Arsenal for last season, but behind Real Madrid of Spain, whose turnover was £263m for the same period.

Pre-tax profits rose 93% to £59.6m, as United won the Premier League.

The club, which says it has 333 million fans worldwide, also reached the FA Cup final and Champions League semi-final.

Those cup runs, during the second year of the Glazer family's ownership, helped to boost media revenues by 35% to £61.5m.

An update on the club's debt and interest repayments - the Glazer family borrowed heavily to buy the club for £790m in 2005 - will be made in the spring when the Glazer company accounts for Red Football are lodged.

Last May the annual interest payment was £62m, and in the autumn a club spokesman said debts continued "to be comfortably serviced by the business".

'Quest for success'

Chief executive David Gill said full houses at Old Trafford, plus the increases in media and sponsorship revenues "combined with team success to produce a substantial financial improvement".

"I am confident that the uplift in the Premier League television deal, together with our new sponsorship sales structure will enable the club to continue to increase its revenues and profitability to provide support to the team's quest for further on-field success," Mr Gill added.

Details of the new sponsorship structure, driven by the recently appointed commercial director Richard Arnold, have not been revealed.

But a spokesman said the club was looking forward to improved financial figures next year - when the results of an improved TV deal will come into effect - on the proviso that there is continued success on the playing field.

Manchester United once again disclosed the total payments made in the year to players' agents - £2.1m in 2006/07 as against £1.8m the previous season.

The club said it was the only one in the Premier League to reveal its payments to agents, and said other top flight teams should follow suit.

Wage payments

The extra seats afforded to Arsenal following its move from Highbury to the Emirates Stadium had been instrumental in the large rise in the club's turnover, as matchday revenues boomed.

At Manchester United matchday revenues were up 30% to £92.6m, reflecting the expansion of Old Trafford to a larger capacity of more than 76,000.

The £245m turnover figure is for its overall business, but Manchester United points out that more than £200m of that figure was for its core football activities.

The club said it had reduced its wages-to-turnover ratio to 43.6%, well within the 50% set by the Glazer family as a long-term aim.

Manchester United are preparing a £12m-offer for long-term target Klaas Jan Huntelaar. (The Sun)

Meanwhile, after recent interest from Real Madrid, Manchester United have said they will never sell prized asset Cristiano Ronaldo. (Various)

"For me, he is an exceptional player."

Fabregas

"He (Ronaldo) is amazing," said Fabregas, whose table-topping Arsenal side are two points ahead of United.

"I admire his physical body, his power, he is so quick with the ball and he has such strength.

"He is a player that at any moment can score a goal for the team and make the team win - even if it is a header, left or right foot.

"For me, he is an exceptional player."

He added: "It is good that people say they enjoy watching Arsenal, but when I watch teams like Manchester United, I really enjoy watching it myself."

We showed how CLASS we are.

6 - 0 against Newcastle. Amazing, and all the goals were in the second half.

Ronaldo with a great free kick.

Then Teves taps it in after defensive errors with Newcastle.

But the third goal was the best. Carrick to Rooney, to Tevez To Ronaldo to the goal! (all on touch except the shot)

The 4th was from Ferdinand as a a great cross for Rooney was side footed into the goal, the defence were ball watching.

Then the 5th was when Ronaldo got his hat-trick, a deflected left foot shot in to the goal.

And to round it up Tevez shot at the cross-bar which replays showed it went in, but Alan Smith - First time back to Old Trafford - got a red card for arguing so much

All in all a great second half, and we'll be on first on Match Of The Day :P

lucky you newcastle defence very terrible even derby can defend better then that.

i am not saying it was luck indeed you guys played very well and what else RONALDO best player in the world atm and noone even messi aint better then him you guys must just admit it. i wonder if all the wingers like ronaldo shot like him i mean ronaldo is prob the winger which loves to shot nealry all the time lol great

We showed how CLASS we are.

6 - 0 against Newcastle. Amazing' date=' and all the goals were in the second half.

Ronaldo with a great free kick.

Then Teves taps it in after defensive errors with Newcastle.

But the third goal was the best. Carrick to Rooney, to Tevez To Ronaldo to the goal! (all on touch except the shot)

The 4th was from Ferdinand as a a great cross for Rooney was side footed into the goal, the defence were ball watching.

Then the 5th was when Ronaldo got his hat-trick, a deflected left foot shot in to the goal.

And to round it up Tevez shot at the cross-bar which replays showed it went in, but Alan Smith - First time back to Old Trafford - got a red card for arguing so much

All in all a great second half, and we'll be on first on Match Of The Day :P[/quote']

Yup it was a really big win 4 us. I always knew we would win the game but not 6 0 !!!!!! I think Ronaldo's 2nd goal was the best in the enitre game wekk with Rio's close behind. Seenig his finish u would have said he's a striker:D.

Whats maore is that we'e back on the of the EPL. Well, its only on goal difference but we're still no top and thats what matters :P.

If we do continue to play like this there is no team in the entire EPL or even world as a matter of fact that can touch us :D.

Anyway great win and hope the good stuff continues.

Ronaldo rose to rating 98! :D

And Tevez to 94' date=' Vidic to 94 as well.

Anderson to 88 ...

Simpson and Neville dropped :([/quote']

I am really happy bout Ronaldo, Tevez and Vidic.

But i ain't happy at all about Simpson........i think he's a great player with loads of tallent. We all say simpson play about 25 odd minutes against newcastle and he was brilliant. But u know the funny think is they brought simpson to 85 and then reduced him by 1. Coz i'm ready to swear that he was 83 last night :P.

Neville i have nothing much to say about. Just that i was hopein that he went down only to 92.

I think Scholes was a bit harsh but i think once he's back and fit and ready to play again he wil rise back to 94.:D

2moro we have to play Reading and i think its going to be an easy win 4 us. We really have not been great against Reading recenty i.e. in the past 2 seasons. but i think hat we should be able to get all three points without much of a problem.

I think the score will be Reading 0 3 Manutd :D:P

What bout u guys??????