• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• IanMcCo

• Frozy

• Hercule Poirot

• Stuart H

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Re: Official Manchester United Thread Just tried changing the password on my laptop to Man Utd defence but it said it was too weak

Re: Official Red Devils thread Apparently, it's been caused by City opening their trophy cabinet LOL

Re: Official Red Devils Thread Right I'd thought I'd air some opinions on recent activity. How Do You Solve a Problem Like Di Maria The recent acquisition of Di Maria appears to have split bo

Posted Images

Re: Official Red Devils thread

hopefully nani's form should continue if selected for city match on wednesday

The fact of the matter is, Nani plays his best football when selected on the right side of midfield. Therefore we will never see him perform good regularly because Valencia is first choice on the right. Maybe Fergie should have tried Nani on the right last year, and then could have used the £17million on other parts of the squad

Preston complete Welbeck loan

Danny Welbeck has joined Preston North End on loan for the remainder of the season.

The highly-rated 19-year-old forward becomes Darren Ferguson's first signing since taking over at Deepdale, and joins the North End squad for Tuesday's trip to Peterborough.

Welbeck, who will sport number 18, has made 11 appearances this term for the Reds, scoring in the Carling Cup victories over Wolves and Barnsley.

Preston currently lie 17th in the Championship, six points above the bottom three and 10 points below the playoff zone.

-Manutd.com

Danny Welbeck has joined Preston North End on loan for the remainder of the season.

The highly-rated 19-year-old forward becomes Darren Ferguson's first signing since taking over at Deepdale' date=' and joins the North End squad for Tuesday's trip to Peterborough.

Welbeck, who will sport number 18, has made 11 appearances this term for the Reds, scoring in the Carling Cup victories over Wolves and Barnsley.

Preston currently lie 17th in the Championship, six points above the bottom three and 10 points below the playoff zone.

-Manutd.com[/quote']

Let's say the PNE manager was me. REJECTED... :(

The highly-rated 19-year-old forward becomes Darren Ferguson's first signing since taking over at Deepdale' date=' and joins the North End squad for Tuesday's trip to Peterborough.

-Manutd.com[/quote']

this is good for both united and welbeck because united have got him off the wage bill plus he can gain alot more 1st team action

Well, fee agreed to bring Fulham youngster Chris Smalling to the club and Arsenal's bid (reported to be 7m) was rejected.

I honestly don't know what to make of it, I've got a funny feeling it may be a bid to pacify the protestors, a statement to say "we do have money, the Ronaldo money etc is still available"

Can't say I've seen too much of the kid tbh, hope he's worth the hype he's being given though. the 7m Arsenal bid seemed a lot to pay for a relative unknown, must have been a monster bid on our part to get permission to speak to him. It'll probably be less to do with the fee and more to do with performance-related add-ons and sell-on fees probably, and maybe a loan-back to Fulham for a bit.

It's not done and dusted yet, apparently we're in "preliminary discussions" with his representatives atm.

Still don't think it will quell the unrest, don't think we'll see that unless a massive name comes in, but I hope they're signing him for the right reasons and not as a PR exercise.

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,12876_5886134,00.html

EDIT: Afterthought, I hope to god this isn't a contingency plan for losing Vidic in the summer :(

Does seem a bit of a hefty price to pay for a player who was plying his trade in non-league football not too long ago :o. From what I've seen of him, he's a strapping lad very much in the Rio-mould, so may be a great move to get him in early to learn from him. I guess the fact that he's English and homegrown is a bonus (in respect of FIFA quota stipulations) with some of Utd's homegrown players due to retire soon. May well have bumped the price up a few million.

I still believe there were better options out there (homegrown/foreign) to provide cover for the your defensive problems this year, but it's not a bad signing by any means. Alot depends on his development and he couldn't have better mentors than Rio and Vidic :)

Agree with you, this won't satisfy the section of fans who are wondering where all the Ronaldo money has gone.

Does seem a bit of a hefty price to pay for a player who was plying his trade in non-league football not too long ago :o. From what I've seen of him' date=' he's a strapping lad very much in the Rio-mould, so may be a great move to get him in early to learn from him. I guess the fact that he's English and homegrown is a bonus (in respect of FIFA quota stipulations) with some of Utd's homegrown players due to retire soon. May well have bumped the price up a few million.

I still believe there were better options out there (homegrown/foreign) to provide cover for the your defensive problems this year, but it's not a bad signing by any means. Alot depends on his development and he couldn't have better mentors than Rio and Vidic :)

Agree with you, this won't satisfy the section of fans who are wondering where all the Ronaldo money has gone.[/quote']

I think from the player quotas point of view United are in a stronger position than most tbh. The ruling is:

‘Home-grown players’ are defined by UEFA as players who, regardless of their nationality or age, have been trained by their club or by another club in the national association for at least three years between the age of 15 and 21. The UEFA rule does not contain any nationality conditions. It also applies in the same way to all players and all clubs participating in competitions organised by UEFA.

So, technically Rafael and Fabio will be classed as "home-grown" as they were registered as United players on their 18th Birthdays and therefore their 3 years are up on the day before they turn 21.

Add to that O'shea, Foster, Brown, Ferdinand, Evans, Carrick, Fletcher, Gibson, Owen and Rooney. That's before the next batch of youngsters like Cleverley etc are factored in. So even with the impending retirements, we're still well-stocked. Another thing to mention also is that a Champions league squad of 25 can be supplemented by as many Under 21's as you like regardless of nationality and time at the club, so it's not that much of an issue, it's only after they turn 21 that they have to be reigistered (Anderson missed out on being "homegrown" by a few months btw)

I'm not sure how Hargreaves is classed though, although "English", his formative years were in Germany and he was born in Canada :confused:

Always nice to see another English/British playing at United though :)

I agree there were probably better options, but as SAF has alluded to a few times, if the value for money isn't there, he's not gonna pay through the nose, and with most players, especially with the world cup coming up etc, is it worth the risk signing for United without guaranteed football 6 months before-hand?

Alot depends on his development and he couldn't have better mentors than Rio and Vidic :).

That means he will suffer from memory loss, and go missing in important games? :P

On a serious note, I think its an excellent signing. Future investment, plus its a British born player... quite a rarity at a large club.

That means he will suffer from memory loss' date=' and go missing in important games? :P

On a serious note, I think its an excellent signing. Future investment, plus its a British born player... quite a rarity at a large club.[/quote']

may also mean he might become the best CB...

Only saw him once against Chelsea. Had a good game against Drogba and co before scoring an unfortunate own goal

Always nice to see another English/British playing at United though :)

In fairness thats quite a few, but only Rooney, Fletcher and Ferdinand, and not even Ferdiand ( this season ) have cemented a place in the starting 11. Not to mention these players hardly set the world alight / not integral to your starting 11. :P

Just seen the CCTV pictures the police released this morning in relation to the violence at the 1st leg last week' date=' one in particular looks familiar:

[img']http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2010/01/26/article-0-0804E4FA000005DC-158_148x234.jpg[/img]

Craig Bellamy anyone? :D

:D

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11661_5886786,00.html

Smalling deal confirmed, will join at the start of next season.

Anyone think Smalling could be adapted to a RB at united, we aren't short of cover with Neville (Who I imagine will retire in the summer), O'Shea, Brown or Rafael but none of them fill me with confidence when I see them play.

Im still waiting on a top attacking midfielder to join the ranks of united but I doubt I will ever see that day, its all about getting the exact same type of player.....

I can't see why Anderson isnt given more of a free role when we play 3 CM's, we didn't have many options against man city (especially when giggs was playing left midfield) last week, we need him getting forward a lot more and supporting the strikers.

I havn't seen him play before, apart from when I saw him on Match of the day against Chelsea, but I really hope this deal isn't more than £5million, if it is it better be a good long term signing, hoping Smalling turns into a Ferdinand-type player, and becomes as good, if not better than him. :)

With all the talk of signing Smalling' date=' people have missed the fact Rio Ferdinand's been charged with violent conduct by the FA for his 'punch' on Fagan against Hull.[/quote']

I havn't, imo it should be more than three games, all in all it is a bad blow for us, as he has just come back and we kept a clean sheet, and with Arsenal and Villa coming up in games were missing him for, could turn out to be a bad loss, i'd rather us have just signed Smalling now and have him for those games if he does well in training.