Official Manchester United Thread

Rishabh Desai

Re: Official Red Devils thread

Arsenal came out of the bowl first, and they got Liverpool. The Reds will have the luxury of playing the second leg at home.

What is more, their European games will sandwich a Premier League fixture between them, so it will be three clashes in just 8 days!

AS Roma were the next drawn next, and will play Manchester United, yet again. The 7-1 result will be dug out yet again. And the second leg will once again be at Old Trafford! Can the result be any different?

Relative minnows Schalke get Barcelona. With the Catalans playing the second leg at home, they have to be favourites to progress from this tie.

That left Fenerbahce and Chelsea, with the Blues also getting the second leg at home. That will involve Mateja Kezman and Nicolas Anelka facing their former clubs.

The semi-finals will see the winners of Arsenal-Liverpool play the winners of Fenerbahce-Chelsea. Yet another Liverpool-Chelsea semi-final?

The other clash could potentially see Manchester United and Barcelona clash, but Schalke and Roma will have plenty to say about that.

Overall, the draw will have gone well for Chelsea and Barcelona. Manchester United and Liverpool might also be relatively pleased to get the second legs at home.

But then again, Arsenal and Roma won in Milan and Madrid respectively, just a few weeks ago, and will back themselves to produce something similar again!

So the match up is basically,

Arsenal vs Liverpool

Chelsea vs Fenerbahce

Barcelona vs Schalke 04

Manchester United vs Roma

Hmmmm, so Man u is drawn against Roma again and possibly facing a mouth watering semi-final matches with Barcelona. I would say that this match up would have a substantial impact on the final run-in to the Premier League trohpy. Obviously whoever falls out of the competition, that team would be able to put 100% focus on the illustrious Premier League trophy.

Grant has been under fire for his failures in the two domestic cup competitions and i see that he would push his team hard to advance in the Champions league as well as to win the Premier League trophy. As much as i don't approve of Grant as Chelsea's manager, I must admit that Chelsea do have a fanasitc squad. A fanastic first team and capable substitutes. If Chelsea do fall in Chapions league, they would be a formidable foe in the run-in to the Premier League Trophy.

There are currently both benefits as well as disasters in Arsenal's draw. Being matched up against Liverpool, currently the most in-form team in all competitions with six successive wins. Liverpool is a terrible opponent to meet in the Champions league, being the most successful English team in the Champions league in the past 3 years, having been in two finals, losing one and winning one. They are certainly well-versed in it. And now, led by the in-form Gerard and Torres, I must say they are the favourites for the Champions League trophy this year as they have no other things to play for and the fourth position in the Premier League looks to be just within their grasp and I don't think Everton, as good as they can be, would be able to snatch the fourth placing from Liverpool. So do Arsenal stand a chance? We would never know, or would we? For this is football, where anything can happen. But perhaps we can gain a picture when we analyse the tactics employed by the two teams.

As for Manchester United, they face a potentially tough draw against Roma and I don't think Roma would make it any easy for us this time. But we can't overlook the fact that our squad has gotten much stronger over the summer. Tevez look to be a shrewd signing, being able to create an impact on the really important games, where it really matters. Anderson and Nani looks pretty promising too. And hargreaves adds depth to our squad. We must cast the 7-1 drubbing of Roma at Old Trafford aside as we are going to face an entirely different Roma team this time as they would be much much more prepared.

Barcelona vs Schalke 04. Seems that this match is pretty much decided before the game even starts right? Hmmm, but in my opinion I do not think so. Barcelona always seems to have a problem facing teams that have a lot less quality and class in their side due to their free-flowing game. Most of these teams play a rigid 4-4-2 which actually restricts their free-flowing game. Teams that deploy more than one defensive midfielder can often crowd out the more inventive Barça players, deny them the chance to use their imagination. Ronaldinho struggles when people get up close and personal, while Lionel Messi is double-marked by almost every team - one covering his outside run, the other watching out for a cut inside. Frustration then sets in, and what should be a free-spirited approach to the game becomes instead clunky and disjointed. With Yaya toure and Messi unavailable this time, and Henry and Ronaldhino yet to hit top gear, what will Rijkaard do?

If i manage to find the time, I would try to provide my own insight into the Manchester United vs Roma game and possibly even other games that involve English teams.

Quality analysis by Latios. Good post. :)

In my opinion Chelsea - Fenerbahce and Barcelona - Schalke are predictable. There is an element of luck in football that shouldn't be ignored but I will be brave enough to say that the teams who are going further are almost certain here. If we look at the way Schalke and Fener passed into the quarter final and compare the quality of the teams Chelsea and Barcelona are absolute favorites here and I don't think there will be surprise.

Arsenal and Liverpool is very tough to predict. I would give slight advantage to Liverpool and there are few reasons for that:

1. Liverpool can concentrate on CL because EPL is lost for them and 4 place shouldn't be threatened

2. They showed great form lately - especially Fernando Torres who is scoring a lot of goals from various situations.

3. Arsenal is fighting for EPL + they will meet in EPL and CL in just one week and that means 3 tough matches and Arsenal has an imperative of achieving good result in all three matches. I think that will be very hard both physically and mentally.

Agree with Latios on the Roma - ManU part. This year it will be something completely different. Indication for that is the match Real - Roma. First match ended 2-1 for Roma, same as last years result against ManU. But if you look at the match against Real on Bernabeu you will see that they matured tactically. Their defense was superb and Real found it very hard to create quality chances. Roma weren't rushing anything and didn't come there thinking how they will attack Real on their ground. They waited instead. And then tried with counterattacks. We will have to face completely new Roma + they want revenge for last year. If we want to get past them they will have to be taken most seriously and last years result completely forgotten.

But great squad SAF has on his disposal gives us reason to believe that ManU is capable of fighting for both CL and EPL!!:D

Thanks!!! :D been pretty busy with school lately and haven got as much time to post on the forum...>.<

LOL, just as i was about to say that Arsenal is about to lose their first game at Emirates this season. Toure levelled things for them >.< Didn't place too much hope on Boro to win it for us though as they are far too erratic as a team. They can win matches against relatively much tougher opponents and yet falling to a weaker opposition.

United almost busted it today i think. We played far too badly and if we really want to win the league and the Champions league trophy, play of such standard is not allowed to happen anymore.

But much credit must be given to Derby too. They fought a men's fight and did not let United win the game hands down. They were not brilliant but they were very brave. But the relegation fight is more than over for them it seems. Even a miracle may not save them.

Ronaldo scored the only goal in what is a scrappy game after switching back to the flank, having started the game as a striker. Scholes and Giggs were anonymous throughout the whole match and did not make much of an impact while Park was given the go ahead to start. In what was a scrappy game, I think what was worth watching was the performance of the debutant goalkeepr, Foster. Credit to the both goalkeepers, Carroll and Foster, as they kept their sides into the game by rising to the occasion whenever needed until Ronaldo finally scored. Foster made a pretty good impression of himself today and i think we can expect much more of him in the future. The glimpses of brilliance shown by him today gave England hope of finding what they have been missing for many years. A top class goalkeeper.

Seems like we remain at the top of the table after Arsenal messed it up at their home ground against Boro. :D

Foster made a pretty good impression of himself today and i think we can expect much more of him in the future. The glimpses of brilliance shown by him today gave England hope of finding what they have been missing for many years. A top class goalkeeper.

I didn't watch him but if he is good like you say he is I hope that England didn't find a goalkeeper in him. English national team is not good for their confidence. Look what happened to Robinson. The guy was very good before he became no1 for England.

And 2nd thing I don't like is Ronaldo as a striker. I think that ManU's advantage is having a player like him wide. That makes our attack more difficult to block. Look what happened to Real when Robinho was playing as a striker against Roma. Their midfield was blocked by De Rossi - Aquilani and Mexes - Juan blocks and they didn't have enough quality on wings to spread them in the middle. That system was very vulnerable but Real didn't have much choice because of key players being injured. Manchester United is more resistant to that style of play because if you try to block central players the most dangerous player is left alone + Giggs/Nani on the other side. If you try to block wings there is still enough quality in the middle in the form of Scholes, Carrick, Anderson or Hargreaves. There aren't many wingers so dangerous for the goal and my opinion is that Ronaldo should stay on the wing.

2nd reason why I don't like him in attack is that they will change his positioning to F/W on SM and he won't be so useful to me because there are many quality strikers rated 96 on SM but wingers above 93 are rare and like Kramer would say: " It's a gold, Jerry!":D

Thoughts the Rams wore there ground name on their shirts today PRIDE.

After the drubbing away to Chelsea midweek was expecting the same sort of result against your boys ,but some good saves by Carrol and the odd bad miss in the early stages gave them confidence,which showed in the later part of first half with Foster coming to the rescue for Utd as well.

Thought Derbys work rate was very good for a team really dead and buried in terms of Prem ,but i think you could easily see the difference in class second half and only going to be one outcome.:mad::D:)

Thoughts the Rams wore there ground name on their shirts today PRIDE.

After the drubbing away to Chelsea midweek was expecting the same sort of result against your boys ' date='but some good saves by Carrol and the odd bad miss in the early stages gave them confidence,which showed in the later part of first half with Foster coming to the rescue for Utd as well.

Thought Derbys work rate was very good for a team really dead and buried in terms of Prem ,but i think you could easily see the difference in class second half and only going to be one outcome.:mad::D:)[/quote']

I thought that result is going to be higher for ManU too. And although I didn't watch the game result 0-1 and goal in 76 min clearly indicate that I was wrong. Guys from Derby are without chance to stay in the league but were motivated by the fact that they are playing ManU. And I respect that. If we are so good we should win games like this just like we did.

But why would you care? Liverpool don't have the chance to become Champions!:P :p

Dont care but giving a honest opinion on the game ' date='because 99% of Man Utd glory boys wont give the respect to Derby like they deserved,so getting my two pence worth in .:P:D:)[/quote']

That was an answer to your :mad: sign at the end of the message!:)

And if you ask me, you are more than welcome to give your opinion on this thread any time, especially when it is honest!

Guys here probably belong to that 1% because latios mentioned that credit must be given to Derby.

I wouldn't be so active on this thread if things were different.:)

EDIT: Rehab confirmed my words:)

That was an answer to your :mad: sign at the end of the message!.

And if you ask me' date=' you are more than welcome to give your opinion on this thread any time, especially when it is honest!

Guys here probably belong to that 1% because latios mentioned that credit must be given to Derby.

I wouldn't be so active on this thread if things were different.[/quote']

Thanks mate just a bit of tounge in cheek about the percentage ,i saw latios1314 great post before replying and know the likes of him , Rishabh Desai and you and a couple more do give unbiased reports and give the opposite teams credit for their endevours,reason why it wasnt 100%;)

Dont worry we have blinkered fans on our side as well ,reason why i have probs been the main person that dont support your team but post on on here regular is there is a few unbiased with their feedback so making it an interesting thread with views.

Reason why you got a :mad: from me after your result is i do support LFC ,so even if i agree which i dont :D that you are better than us ,i will always give a :mad: whenever you lads win ,even after we win the league ,whenever that happens again :eek: maybe my son will be President of GB by then if we get rid of the Monachy:D

Anyway after this easter Sunday may come out with a few porkies depending on result ;)

Just joking will give my truthfull verdict ,anyway looking forward to game ,may the best team "us " win .B):D:)

I doubt arsenal now can hold up the pace with man utd now haveing to play liverpool next and with the current poor form i think Arsenal will loose out. Arsenal cant play all the time the same style because they are i think other teams are knowing how to outplay them in there. I nthink Man utd should win the kleague if nothing goes wrong.

Thanks mate just a bit of tounge in cheek about the percentage ' date='i saw latios1314 great post before replying and know the likes of him , Rishabh Desai and you and a couple more do give unbiased reports and give the opposite teams credit for their endevours,reason why it wasnt 100%;)

Dont worry we have blinkered fans on our side as well ,reason why i have probs been the main person that dont support your team but post on on here regular is there is a few unbiased with their feedback so making it an interesting thread with views.

Reason why you got a :mad: from me after your result is i do support LFC ,so even if i agree which i dont :D that you are better than us ,i will always give a :mad: whenever you lads win ,even after we win the league ,whenever that happens again maybe my son will be President of GB by then if we get rid of the Monachy:D

Anyway after this easter Sunday may come out with a few porkies depending on result

Just joking will give my truthfull verdict ,anyway looking forward to game ,may the best team "us " win .B) [/quote']

Alan mate ur post really made me laaugh quite a bit.

Just a small request: Keep posting here :D

P.S. Great that someone knows that we do have unbias fans

And about United vs L'pool i doubt i'll be able to watch it coz i have my maths exam the next day :eek::(. Have physics 2moro. God knows why i'm still on the forum. O yeah coz i finished studying lol

Anyway hope its a good match and that Torres and Gerrard forget to show up lol :P

Sorry had to delete some images to post this lol

I doubt arsenal now can hold up the pace with man utd now haveing to play liverpool next and with the current poor form i think Arsenal will loose out. Arsenal cant play all the time the same style because they are i think other teams are knowing how to outplay them in there. I nthink Man utd should win the kleague if nothing goes wrong.

Yup i ca't agree more with u mate. They have now drawn their last 4 games in a row. They are far from out of the rtitle race but as u said i don't thik they will be able to keep up.

Just like last season. They were inthe carling cup finals, FA cup quaters and CL round of 16. All of a sudden they crashed out of all lol :P

missed some action I see!:D buisy these days!:(

I saw the whole match and tbh we were great in the first half but we were very poor in the second. As the match went on Derby looked the m,ore likely to score but then Ronaldo scores after missing 6 or 7 chances:eek: :D .

I would have definitly liked a big and comprehensive win but really it dosen't matter if we beat them 1-0 03 5-0 we only get 3 points so as far as the result is concerned I am delighted but the perfomance was a bit slack. It was almost as if we went there thinking how many we would score!

If only Derby had played like this the whole season then maybe things would have been a bit different!

I hope Derby dopn't break all sorts of break records this season and do better than sunderland

If only Derby had played like this the whole season then maybe things would have been a bit different!

In fairness i think they have mainly ,but they just havnt the Quality up front to get goals and can be very eratic at the back which has been to costly.

But for work rate ,endevour and commitment i think they give as much as anyone else.

Your match reminded me a bit like ours at Pride park ,had plenty of chances to run up a big score but we in the end scraped it 2-1 with a 90th minute by Gerrard ,but for all the chances both our sides missed and the big scores we both had at home against them ,4-1 by you 6-0 by us also i think 6-0 before sat against Chelsea at the bridge ,they like i said wore their shirt with Pride .

Paul jewel does have that effect on most teams he managers.

:)

In fairness i think they have mainly ' date='but they just havnt the Quality up front to get goals and can be very eratic at the back which has been to costly.

But for work rate ,endevour and commitment i think they give as much as anyone else.

Your match reminded me a bit like ours at Pride park ,had plenty of chances to run up a big score but we in the end scraped it 2-1 with a 90th minute by Gerrard ,but for all the chances both our sides missed and the big scores we both had at home against them ,4-1 by you 6-0 by us also i think 6-0 before sat against Chelsea at the bridge ,they like i said wore their shirt with Pride .

Paul jewel does have that effect on most teams he managers.

:)[/quote']

I admit I haven't watched many games involving Derby this season but they played very well against us tbh. As I said they created some good chances but as you say they lacked that quality to finish off those moves.

I dont' date=' but just informing other people :D

And anyway, I asked a question, would you like that signing if it was true. :D[/quote']

Yep because its doing the rounds on merseyside as well :D ,when a player like him is rumoured to be unsettled i suppose all big european clubs will be linked.:)

Chelsea Barca and Madrid chasing him too?

Well I know who I want to sign him :rolleyes: and it ain't the red half of Manchester I can say that much.

and to be fair' date=' United don't really need him.[/quote']

Yea he can come and partner his fellow country man ,now that would be a pairing for Rafa.;)