• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• IanMcCo

• Frozy

• Hercule Poirot

• Stuart H

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Re: Official Manchester United Thread Just tried changing the password on my laptop to Man Utd defence but it said it was too weak

Re: Official Red Devils thread Apparently, it's been caused by City opening their trophy cabinet LOL

Re: Official Red Devils Thread Right I'd thought I'd air some opinions on recent activity. How Do You Solve a Problem Like Di Maria The recent acquisition of Di Maria appears to have split bo

Posted Images

Re: Official Red Devils thread

What I wanna know is - what have ManUtd said to Rooney' date=' in-order to convince him to ink a 5 year deal?[/b']

This guy questioned the clubs ambitions, in some senses took a swipe at some of the players, especially those 'potential-based' players, saying the future of the club doesn't look all that rosy, questioning whether the club has what it takes to wins trophies. Clearly something has been said to make him think otherwise. Have they promised new signings? Or has he realized over the past few days that he'd find no better place than Manchester United? Really looking forward to hearing from him. I hope they get down to the nitty gritty and don't keep schtum, questions still have to be answered.

Other than that, happy for Utd and the fans, he would have found no better place had he left.

Even before the saga started it was clear we needed some new player(s) and that must be the reason he stayed. And no it wasn't just because of the money because he could have got more at City.

I'll be sticking with what I said.

Why do you have to insult every fan with your generalisations. First time I went to Old Trafford was against Swansea in 1981. Been a loyal supporter ever since.

Get back to crying about you relegation battle troll. What a joke...

Fair enough, if you're sticking to what you said. I don't have a problem with that. I used phrases in my post such as "I wonder how many...", "Maybe...", etc. Of course it's not the same for every supporter, but I know for sure the majority of Utd fans will be happy to see him back in the first team this weekend even after how he's treated your club. Will he get booed? Maybe the odd hardcore season ticket holder will, but the majority of fans will just be happy to see him playing.

Most clubs wouldn't tolerate behaviour like Man Utd have seen from Rooney. Showing that much disrespect for the club and then deciding to sign a new big money contract... If a Liverpool player wants to leave I'm happy to see them go. Take Reira as an example. After what he said about Rafa and the club he didn't play AT ALL. Even when Rafa left the fans made it clear he was unwanted and ensured he left.

As for crying about being in the relegation zone... certainly not. We're now DEBT FREE, have new owners, investment and a new manager is going to be unveiled in the next couple of weeks. It'd looking up for Liverpool fans, and even through the hard times the fans stick together and stay strong. How many Liverpool fans have you known that have changed club they're allegiance this season? I certainly don't know any.

Fair enough' date=' if you're sticking to what you said. I don't have a problem with that. I used phrases in my post such as "I wonder how many...", "Maybe...", etc. Of course it's not the same for every supporter, but I know for sure the majority of Utd fans will be happy to see him back in the first team this weekend even after how he's treated your club. Will he get booed? Maybe the odd hardcore season ticket holder will, but the majority of fans will just be happy to see him playing.

Most clubs wouldn't tolerate behaviour like Man Utd have seen from Rooney. Showing that much disrespect for the club and then deciding to sign a new big money contract... If a Liverpool player wants to leave I'm happy to see them go. Take Reira as an example. After what he said about Rafa and the club he didn't play AT ALL. Even when Rafa left the fans made it clear he was unwanted and ensured he left.

As for crying about being in the relegation zone... certainly not. We're now DEBT FREE, have new owners, investment and a new manager is going to be unveiled in the next couple of weeks. It'd looking up for Liverpool fans, and even through the hard times the fans stick together and stay strong. How many Liverpool fans have you known that have changed club they're allegiance this season? I certainly don't know any.[/quote']

How many United fans have changed since Chelsea won? I don't no any. This glory hunting stuff is a load of rubbish. No one I know changes team ever.

I disagree with this point. Firstly there's obviously a big difference between the importance of Albert Riera to Liverpool and Wayne Rooney to Manchester United. Ferguson has a great track record of getting rid of players at the right time (Beckham, RVN, Keane etc), and he obviously feels this isn't the right time to get rid of Rooney. While I agree his behaviour has been disrespectful, he has apparently apologised to Ferguson, his team mates, and according to SAF will do the same to the fans. Fergie's handled the situation brilliantly in my opinion, and getting rid of Rooney purely because of the last week would be cutting off his nose to spite his face. If Rooney can get back to form soon enough this will all be forgotten.

How many United fans have changed since Chelsea won? I don't no any. This glory hunting stuff is a load of rubbish. No one I know changes team ever.

Glory hunting is also about supporting a successful team that you really have no obvious reason to support.

For example - if someone comes from London, where there are 13 league teams, why would they support Manchester United instead of say QPR or West Ham?

In most people eyes - if you do not have direct explainable links to the club and you are not from the vicinity of the club then you shouldn't have picked that team.

We have done the glory hunter thing 100 times here - and no need to do it again.

As far as I am concerned - if you have no exaplainable link to a club and you do not attend their matches and that club is successful - you are a glory hunter - regardless of your opinion :D

Pardon me for having been born and educated in a small and stupid country' date=' but Rooney wouldn't play in Porto again if such a situation happened with us (Quaresma's case, for example).[/quote']

Its all been one big elaborate hoax to convince us fans that United still have the ability to buy big name stars. :eek:

I get sick of this "glory hunter" term. People watch the football team that they enjoy watching the most, and invariably, that's a successful team. It's far easier to watch Chelsea win comfortably on Sky each weekend with their breathtaking football, rather than travelling to Leyton Orient for some poor quality, uninspiring hoof-ball. It's even harder for kids to appreciate the values of watching a local club when they are so young and naive, not knowing the benefits they might get from sticking by such a club in the future. Once you start following a team, it's hard not to stop following them, and that'll be the case for millions of children around the world, whether they be watching Manchester United, Real Madrid of Inter Milan.

There is only one true type of glory supporter, and that is one who switches allegiance at their own free will to whoever is doing well at that particular time. And you don't get many (maybe even any) of those types of supporters.

People watch the football team that they enjoy watching the most' date=' and invariably, that's a successful team. [/quote']

An excellent definition of glory hunting, beautifully portrayed :D

I often ask the question on the back of this discussion.

Is it acceptable for me as a Scotsman to support Brazil?

I don't think it is

Fair enough' date=' if you're sticking to what you said. I don't have a problem with that. I used phrases in my post such as "I wonder how many...", "Maybe...", etc. Of course it's not the same for every supporter, but I know for sure the majority of Utd fans will be happy to see him back in the first team this weekend even after how he's treated your club. Will he get booed? Maybe the odd hardcore season ticket holder will, but the majority of fans will just be happy to see him playing.

As for crying about being in the relegation zone... certainly not. We're now DEBT FREE, have new owners, investment and a new manager is going to be unveiled in the next couple of weeks. It'd looking up for Liverpool fans, and even through the hard times the fans stick together and stay strong. How many Liverpool fans have you known that have changed club they're allegiance this season? I certainly don't know any.[/quote']

I said previously that I'd give Rooney the benefit of the doubt and I stand by that. Maybe he was ill advised? I don't know. Considering who his agent is that wouldn't surprise me. I don't think Rooney kicked up a fuss just to get a pay rise. He would have been offered a generous contract regardless. If he raised points about the clubs financial situation and future plans for squad investment then I think he made the right decision in not signing until he was given assurances. The next contract he signed would take him into the peak years of his career so for him personally it's an important decision. It's just a shame that it couldn't have all been sorted behind closed doors but it all appears to be sorted now at least.

I don't know any glory supporters myself but they tend to attach themselves to the club who are successful at the time. If they have changed their allegiance from United to Chelsea or whoever then thats pretty normal behaviour for them. I'm seeing more and more Man City shirts around lately whereas in the past I'd only see them in Manchester. If Liverpool dominate the league again those glory supporters will attach themselves to your club too.

Who are glory supporters anyway? Kids, women, pretards? I don't know. I've never known any of my mates to change who they support. These guys are aged between late 20's to mid 50's and support various clubs.

Like I said - I don't think we should revisit the glory hunter theme

Anyone who is not from Manchester, who does not have a direct link to Manchester United, and does not attend games, and started supporting Man United any time after 1990 are seen as glory hunters - not just by me, but by the Man United hardcore 'fanatics'

It's that simple :D

If anyone wants to reply or disagree with me feel free to Pm me - let's not clog up the United thread again lol

Like I said - I don't think we should revisit the glory hunter theme

Anyone who is not from Manchester' date=' who does not have a direct link to Manchester United, and does not attend games, and started supporting Man United any time after 1990 are seen as glory hunters - not just by me, but by the Man United hardcore 'fanatics'

It's that simple :D

[b']If anyone wants to reply or disagree with me feel free to Pm me - let's not clog up the United thread again lol[/b]

Now dont get me wrong but if someone is brought up a United fan by they're parents then surely that cant be helped even if they dont attend the games or live in Manchester.

Myself - I was born in 1984 and ive always been a United fan as it was the way I was brought up, Id love to go to every game but financially its not possible, so basically your telling me that I cant bring my son up a Man United fan because he'll be branded a glory hunter, what a load of tosh that is.

Sorry didnt read the bold (dont know how I missed that lol)

Anyway

Glad Wayne decided to stay as id rather have him than not, but the way the whole thing went about was a little too far but if it was all set up then it was absolute genius!

Now dont get me wrong but if someone is brought up a United fan by they're parents then surely that cant be helped even if they dont attend the games or live in Manchester.

Myself - I was born in 1984 and ive always been a United fan as it was the way I was brought up' date=' Id love to go to every game but financially its not possible, so basically your telling me that I cant bring my son up a Man United fan because he'll be branded a glory hunter, what a load of tosh that is.

Sorry didnt read the bold (dont know how I missed that lol)

Anyway

Glad Wayne decided to stay as id rather have him than not, but the way the whole thing went about was a little too far but if it was all set up then it was absolute genius![/quote']

Why were your family United "fans" is what I would ask - glory hunting can be traced back through the generations :D

Some people call ME a glory hunter for supporting Rangers - I was born 3 miles from Ibrox so I consider that to be close enough. (PS my Mum is a Celtic fan)

Howver 'Rangers' are my sons 'third team' but he doesn't claim to be a Rangers "fan" - fan being a shortened version of 'fanatic'

RE Neller - I agree with some of your points - but why does the Dubliner or Londoner (or other) never pick Rochdale or Oldham or South Africa - always United or Liverpool

Most clubs wouldn't tolerate behaviour like Man Utd have seen from Rooney. Showing that much disrespect for the club and then deciding to sign a new big money contract... If a Liverpool player wants to leave I'm happy to see them go. Take Reira as an example. After what he said about Rafa and the club he didn't play AT ALL. Even when Rafa left the fans made it clear he was unwanted and ensured he left.[/quote']

yeah you're right, Liverpool wouldn't play their best player again if he said that!! spot on mate.

oh wait hold on, here's a link to the exact same situation at Liverpool. Same age, same statement.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/l/liverpool/4653041.stm

:rolleyes:

Pardon me for having been born and educated in a small and stupid country' date=' but Rooney wouldn't play in Porto again if such a situation happened with us (see Quaresma's case, for example).[/quote']

Why is everyone comparing one of the top players in world football that not only adds value on the pitch, but also off it, to people like Quaresma and Riera?

There is no way any club in the world would act differently if they had a Wayne Rooney. Barca would let Messi do this and take him back, Madrid with Ronaldo etc..

yeah you're right' date=' Liverpool wouldn't play their best player again if he said that!! spot on mate.

oh wait hold on, here's a link to the [b']exact same situation[/b] at Liverpool. Same age, same statement.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/l/liverpool/4653041.stm

You're missing the point. Gerrard didn't slag off Liverpool and show the great deal of disrespect for the club Rooney has to United. After a disappointing season a Liverpool Gerrard decided he felt he had to move on to further his career. Liverpool fans, although obviously frustrated, respected his decision and the board agreed a deal with Chelsea. It was Gerrard who finally decided to turn down a much higher contract offer at Chelsea to stay with Liverpool. If Gerrard was doing it for the money, he'd be long gone. Very different to Rooney situation.

Also, if you look at the side of the article you posted you will see quotes such as "Wherever he goes good luck to him and thanks for the memories" From RRA Have your say on 606.

You're missing the point. Gerrard didn't slag off Liverpool and show the great deal of disrespect for the club Rooney has to United. After a disappointing season a Liverpool Gerrard decided he felt he had to move on to further his career. Liverpool fans' date=' although obviously frustrated, respected his decision and the board agreed a deal with Chelsea. It was Gerrard who finally decided to [u']turn down a much higher contract offer[/u] at Chelsea to stay with Liverpool. If Gerrard was doing it for the money, he'd be long gone. Very different to Rooney situation.

Also, if you look at the side of the article you posted you will see quotes such as "Wherever he goes good luck to him and thanks for the memories" From RRA Have your say on 606.

Rooney never mentioned money, or at least United were prepared to offer him more money. His main case (that was reported at least) was that United lacked the ambition which he has for his career. This is very similar to what Gerrard said. Rooney didn't disrespect United so to speak. He expressed that he felt disillusioned at the club's future prospects. Not really the stories you want your star player telling but you can't argue with it.

The last bit is bull. Gerrard received death threats.

In all honesty, I think it was about money all along. Fergie offered him 150k and Rooney wanted 30k more. Rooney got what he wanted and while moving people's attention away from the scandal and his lack of form...

Mourinho knew it all along, Rooney was never going to leave United