Official Manchester United Thread

Re: Official Red Devils thread

:eek: FA decided to not taken action against Rooney elbow incident' date=' so he can play tomorrow and against Liverpool too hmmm :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :D[/quote']

Makes a mockery of the rule and it's one of those instances where football could take a leaf out of Rugby League rules. Here Clattenburg was left in a position where he either had to admit he did not see it (and hence admit he made a mistake by blowing for the free kick) or make out that he felt he had seen it and his sanction (a word in rooney's ear) was sufficient. He was in a lose-lose situation and went for the easier option (no-one likes admitting they made a mistake and he could argue, albeit worngly, that he had a word with Rooney and this was sufficient). It's either one or the other.

In Rugby league, however, refs are given a third option where they can admit they did not see the incident, but it's clear something has gone on. They then make a gesture of crossed arms to indicate the incident is on report and a select panel can then make the decision on any punishment after the game. Doesn't interfere with the game and a player who has so obviously done wrong can still be punished retrospectively (only drawback is you'd need cameras on every ground, but in this day and age..). A rule like this acts as a safety net for both the referee and the integrity of the game. Instead we've been left with both the ref and the FA (rulebook) being made to look like a joke.

• Replies 43.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• IanMcCo

• Frozy

• Hercule Poirot

• Stuart H

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Re: Official Manchester United Thread Just tried changing the password on my laptop to Man Utd defence but it said it was too weak

Re: Official Red Devils thread Apparently, it's been caused by City opening their trophy cabinet LOL

Re: Official Red Devils Thread Right I'd thought I'd air some opinions on recent activity. How Do You Solve a Problem Like Di Maria The recent acquisition of Di Maria appears to have split bo

Posted Images

I totaly agree with your first 2 paragraphs and should be the same for ANY player including Gerrard and co.

The special treatment thing does exist though for clubs and players' date=' had the Gerrard or Rooney incodents been for say Stoke players (or someone like Ade / RVP) they would have been banned without a doubt.[/quote']

I'm not disagreeing, far from it. I just find the topic mentally draining. I hate when these negatives get in the way of my love for the game.

tbh Neller although I detest Gerard for various reasons, I don't really remember ever really blasting him on the forum let alone call him a thug. Neither do I ever remember blasting Gerrard for being a serial diver or ever saying Rooney's a saint:confused: I didn't even say it wasn't a red only that according to the FA's own rule it would have been tough to ban him and which is why I bought up the Welbeck incident up because that was a pretty similar case.

Welbeck has to make decision

Ghana is stepping up efforts to convince Sunderland striker Danny Welbeck to commit his international future to the Black Stars.

The 20-year old Manchester United product is also eligible to represent England but Ghana football officials are hoping they can convince him his international prospects will be better served with the Black Stars.

Welbeck has looked impressive upfront for Sunderland this season where he also plays alongside the Ghana trio of John Mensah, Sulley Muntari and Asamoah Gyan.

We have spoken to Welbeck but we are nowhere with it, Nyantekyie said. "He is a young man so we need to give him time to make a decision but he is a player we are interested in as a country."

Assistant Ghana coach Kwasi Yeboah has already had contact with the player and told the Ghana Sports newspaper he was tasked by the GFA to sell the idea of representing Ghana to Welbeck.

"The GFA purposely tasked me to speak to him about his future with the Black Stars, which I did," Appiah said. "I have submitted my report on the trip to the GFA, and update on Welbeck’s pursuit is included. I also had an interaction with some of his brothers and they all said they would love to see their brother play for Ghana, but as they put it, he is old enough to decide for himself."

"I spoke to Welbeck and he is willing to play for Ghana but there are few things he has to decide on. The GFA is doing all it can to woo him, let’s all pray it works because he is a good player."

Gyan backs Ghana's move for Welbeck

Asamoah Gyan has approved the Ghana Football Association's plan to rope in his strike partner at Sunderland Danny Welbeck.

The GFA is continuing with efforts to sign on the 20-year old who has featured for England at the junior level for Ghana.

Welbeck, though born in England, would be eligible to play for Ghana, the country of his parents if he decides to switch nationalities.

Gyan explains that though nothing is confirmed yet, should Welbeck decide to pledge his international future to Ghana, it would be a good signing.

"He is a very good player, young and talented so he will be helpful to Ghana but we need to give him more time," Gyan said.

Gyan and John Mensah who also play for Sunderland have done their best to convince the player his international prospects will be well served by playing for Ghana.

"He has not made up his mind yet and says he needs more time to think through it. Myself and Mensah have spoken to him about playing for Ghana."

Interesting...

I never said you did exactly say those things' date=' that wasnt really my point but you never commented on Rooney and used Gerrards instead, were as at the time you did more than comment on the Gerrard / Welbeck incedent and petty sure you did use the word thug but you might have used a different word I dont remember, I remember you and others had plenty to say tho, just not so much this time it seemed ;)

I also wasnt reffering to you on the Gerrard diving thing, we was having a debate over Rooney - Gerrard which you was talking about, so I used those examples to show its hard for you really to say anything about Gerrard unless saying the same about Rooney, and same vice versa, [b']although as pointed out Gerrard is quite far behind Rooney in terms of being a bad example on a football pitch[/b]

Wouldn't really say that mate. They are as bad/good as each other.

People actually are not getting my point here.

Should Rooney have been sent off? yes

But as the referee dosen't do that, the FA cannot ban a player retrospectively. If the referee on the field sees it and decides to do nothing the FA can't do anything as far as I am aware. The rule is ridiculous but to suggest FA are favouring United by actually following their rules is even more ridiculous. It can work both ways. Rio got a 4 game ban last season, if the ref had spotted it would only have been a 3 game ban or even lesser

Rooney has nothing on Diouf/Gattuso/Barton (I could go on!), paper talk suggests that no action has been taken against him, and it's not like he does it week in, week out; so that's the end of the matter. :)

Who do you Mancs think will be the most likely new No. 1 at Old Trafford? I'm hoping for Kuszczak, but that's unlikely! :P

Rooney has nothing on Diouf/Gattuso/Barton (I could go on!)' date=' paper talk suggests that no action has been taken against him, and it's not like he does it week in, week out; so that's the end of the matter. :)

Who do you Mancs think will be the most likely new No. 1 at Old Trafford? I'm hoping for Kuszczak, but that's unlikely! :P[/quote']

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/m/man_utd/9409644.stm

been confirmed :P

Im hoping for Neuer tbh but wouldnt mind any of the keepers been linked here :P

How unsurprising Rooney escape’s a ban. I knew he would and SAF only helped his cause. The big club bias yet again. It happens everywhere especially in the SPL :rolleyes:. We get away with murder sometimes EG. Neville against West Brom and Stoke other way around he'd have walked and WBA would have had a pen but it wasn't too be cause he play for a big club.

Who do you Mancs think will be the most likely new No. 1 at Old Trafford? I'm hoping for Kuszczak' date=' but that's unlikely! :P[/quote']

Why are you asking 'Mancs' on this forum..... I don't think there are any 'Mancs' here that support United* :D

Personally, I would love to see Kuszczak given the chance - mainly because a dustbin would be more use :D

Biffy I agree - no real surprise that the FA have chosen not to take action.

Clattenberg says he feels he dealt with the incident as he saw it.

If he has had chance to review the decision, and still thinks that, then the FA need to ban Clattenberg

*Guys - it's meant a joke - no need to restart the boring old 'glory hunter' debate :D

Why are you asking 'Mancs' on this forum..... I don't think there are any 'Mancs' here that support United* :D

Personally' date=' I would love to see Kuszczak given the chance - mainly because a dustbin would be more use :D

[b']Biffy[/b] I agree - no real surprise that the FA have chosen not to take action.

Clattenberg says he feels he dealt with the incident as he saw it.

If he has had chance to review the decision, and still thinks that, then the FA need to ban Clattenberg

*Guys - it's meant a joke - no need to restart the boring old 'glory hunter' debate :D

Take it you live in Manchester & Glasgow then

:o;)

Get back to the Swindon thread you big Rayman hater you :mad:

Lol :D

Haha' date=' heading over there now

:o[/center']
1. Born 3 miles from Ibrox :D

2. Live in Manchester for more than half my life :D

3. Explained it a million times :D

Ahh right' date=' sure your not a secret United surporter, spend more time on here than you do on your own thread :rolleyes::P[/center']

Sad thing is - I have been to Old Trafford more than the whole SM forum put together :D (well I think I have :D)

Could be the fact that you live in Manchester so dont have to pay travel costs and what not' date=' most the forum is under 18 dont have a steady income coming in the list could go on[/center']

Could be the fact that you live in Manchester so dont have to pay travel costs and what not' date=' most the forum is under 18 dont have a steady income coming in the list could go on[/center']

That and the fact that I live 100 yards from the stadium and use the cash machine nearly every day

Froz3n It's just a good wind up topic :D

Anyone noticed that I am well behaved recently?

If not, shame on ya :D

I was told how blatant the elbow was today during work but having not seen the incident I couldn't really say anything although it did sound like a red card offence.. Only just seen a video of the Rooney elbow and although the Wigan player did try to block him off there is no excuse for what Rooney did. He should have been banned, stunned to hear he has gotten away with it..

If you disagree with the FA's decsion not to ban Rooney for his assult on McCarthy then contact them directly rather than just expressing it on somewhere they won't be looking on. Pass it on - http://www.thefa.com/TheFA/WhoWeAre/ContactUs

Im sure each of your emails will be read individually and taken into consideration :rolleyes::P

If you disagree with the FA's decsion not to ban Rooney for his assult on McCarthy then contact them directly rather than just expressing it on somewhere they won't be looking on. Pass it on - http://www.thefa.com/TheFA/WhoWeAre/ContactUs

I just checked that link SonOfPluto - the 'Contact Us' is redirected to the following email inbox;

SAF@mufc.com

:D

It is disgraceful the unmistakeable bias towards Manchester United from the FA. Rooney went out of his way to elbow the Wigan lad in the face! There was no need for it, surely if he was wanting to help out in the attack, he would run in a straight line past James McCarthy, not bend his run to elbvow him. I can only think that there must have been an incident beforehand between the two which must have wound Rooney up. This further strengthens my hatred of Rooney, and I agree with John Hartson last night on MOTD2 that SAF cannot defend that after blatantly seeing the elbow in the replays.