Official Manchester United Thread

Re: Official Red Devils thread

Haven't read all the posts from today - there was about 15-20 pages to sift through. Feel the need to defend Carrick though.....

Honestly' date=' I don't think there is a more under-appreciated footballer in the Premiership. Now, I'll be the first to admit that Carrick has been sub-par this season, and for much of last season as well. But the season before, when United were beaten by Barcelona in the final of the UCL, Carrick was superb that year. Along with Ronaldo, Carrick was United's best player that season, and he put in top-draw performances all season long. The range of passing Carrick showed in that season was immense and on his day, he's in the top five best passers in the league.

Yes, he hasn't performed as well the last couple of seasons. In fact, he's been quite poor in comparison. But to doubt whether he is worth a contract extension is ludicrous in my opinion. One thing that must be taken into consideration is the Glazers' reluctance to put their hand into their pockets on many occasions these days. Would they really want to shell out £15-20m, maybe even more on a new CM when they could simply retain the services of Carrick, a player that United know is good enough for the team so long that he is managed in the right way? With a bit of confidence, Carrick's form can pick up and he can return to the ball-spraying midfielder that he can be.

As for new signings, there is only one place that United urgently need to upgrade in my opinion, and that is at CB. In my opinion, Rio is shot and injuries will continue to dog him for the last few years of his career. Smalling and Evans are both impressive young defenders, but I think they would benefit staying in the current role in the squad (as a rotation player that fills in adequately at various points in the season, aiding their development). A top class CB to partner Vidic is the only place United really need to strengthen this summer.[/quote']

Really good post Andy, couldnt agree more and some are forgeting that season which you stated that started to show why fergie decided to cough that amount of money up for him and like you said his range of passing was phenomenal.. you not think United will need to spend on a new keeper though ?

• Replies 43.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• IanMcCo

• Frozy

• Hercule Poirot

• Stuart H

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Re: Official Manchester United Thread Just tried changing the password on my laptop to Man Utd defence but it said it was too weak

Re: Official Red Devils thread Apparently, it's been caused by City opening their trophy cabinet LOL

Re: Official Red Devils Thread Right I'd thought I'd air some opinions on recent activity. How Do You Solve a Problem Like Di Maria The recent acquisition of Di Maria appears to have split bo

Posted Images

After Nani went off today' date=' yes, the midfield was devoid of creativity. But with him and Valencia (when fit again) in the side, you have plenty. I also think Anderson is more than good enough to start on a regular basis in midfield and provide a creative spark.

.[/quote']

It's not just been today though, it's a recurring theme in quite a few games I've seen this season. Again Anderson is another I'm far from convinced is Utd quality, he's young but I feel like I'm lying to myself if I say he's good enough to hold down a CM berth on a regular basis.

Hopefully Valencia returns to previous form. I actually said elsewhere as much as I like Sanchez I think CM should be more of a priority, so that's compliment to Valencia...

I don't get this preoccupation with Carrick two years ago :confused: (poor for two seasons and we are quick to forget?) Sorry just not on people's pages with that one.

True about the goalkeeper' date=' glossed over that position. Will have to see how much faith Fergie has in Kuszczak and Lindegaard, but I would have thought a more experienced number one is needed.

[/quote']

Kuszczak 90% will be shipped off in summer which will only leave us with Lindegaard. Signing a keeper is a must

It's not just been today though' date=' it's a recurring theme in quite a few games I've seen this season. Again Anderson is another I'm far from convinced is Utd quality, he's young but I feel like I'm lying to myself if I say he's good enough to hold down a CM berth on a regular basis.

Hopefully Valencia returns to previous form. I actually said elsewhere as much as I like Sanchez I think CM should be more of a priority, so that's compliment to Valencia...

I don't get this preoccupation with Carrick two years ago :confused: (poor for two seasons and we are quick to forget?) Sorry just not on people's pages with that one.[/quote']

Anderson is definitely good enough. His form a month or so back was superb.

Carrick will always get criticism. He's just one of those players that will never get the respect that he deserves, even when he plays well. When he does good things on the pitch, commentators and fans alike completely ignore it. That's why I brought up his superb 08/09 season, because he never got the adulation he deserved then.

Anyway, I'm not forcing my opinion on you, just spelling out another perspective.

Exactly who i want

:P Him or Alder would be perfect :)

hehe former Bayern Munich midfielder Basler compared Neuer to Messi with gloves :P:D

http://www.goal.com/en/news/15/germany/2011/03/04/2378676/schalkes-manuel-neuer-is-like-lionel-messi-wearing-gloves

Would give anything for them to struggle for a good GK like they did before getting VDS :P

Would love us to actually sign Reina from you, and you being in the position of having to replace him :P

Just seen the highlights now.. Nani injury looks horrible. Poor tackle from Carragher, time to retire?:P But have to admit Rafael tackle was bad aswell..

http://www.epltalk.com/nanis-horrific-injury-from-jamie-carraghers-tackle-photos-29893

Hope he has a quick recovery, but he's most likely out for the rest of the season:(

Title race wide open now...

seriously, why anyone is defending michael carrick is beyond me.

cant tackle, doesnt take responsibility, hes a horrible shot, goes sideways far too much. hes just not united quality. we need more from our centre midfielders, a driving force. who am i to question fergie but when i read in the sun he signed a contract extension i nearly cried. why was he starting in front of fletcher?

defending michael carrick on form of two years ago when it would be probably impossible for any1 to play poorly in that team is not acceptable.

a professional player cannot be out of form for two years.

and in any case united need that player that can drive the team, carricks taking up that place of someone who might be able too.

on another note paul scholes will not sign a new contract imo if he thinks hel be playing with carrick, he offers him no support and just takes up his space. you would think carrick would show some decency and just retire.

So's Nani's leg...

Really weird injury to get from an impact collision. Blame probably has to go to Carragher's blades (studs wouldn't break the skin in that way) and Nani's shin-pads which can't have been up to much.

Ooo no he din't?!

Extreme banter right there!

So's Nani's leg...

Really weird injury to get from an impact collision. Blame probably has to go to Carragher's blades (studs wouldn't break the skin in that way) and Nani's shin-pads which can't have been up to much.

It looked like the blades caught the top of the shin pad and moved them out the way whilst at the same time causing the cut to the leg, not really much shin pads can do when you get caught like that.

Ooo no he din't?!

Extreme banter right there!

Not going to lie' date=' I enjoyed that one :P

It looked like the blades caught the top of the shin pad and moved them out the way whilst at the same time causing the cut to the leg, not really much shin pads can do when you get caught like that.

Depends on the style of shin pad. Nani's game requires a lot of pace so he'll want a very lightweight shin pad which won't secure it in place and offers much less protection as it can move away from the shin all too easily.

17639.jpg

Nani will use something a lot like that...

81705903_pl.jpg

but the injury may not have happened had he used these. That said, as a player, he may not have been as effective as he can be.

Anderson is definitely good enough. His form a month or so back was superb.

Carrick will always get criticism. He's just one of those players that will never get the respect that he deserves' date=' even when he plays well. When he does good things on the pitch, commentators and fans alike completely ignore it. That's why I brought up his superb 08/09 season, because he never got the adulation he deserved then.

Anyway, I'm not forcing my opinion on you, just spelling out another perspective.[/quote']

Yeah see I don't think the criticism of Carrick is harsh enough (I don't hear much so you must point me in the direction of your sources, sounds like my cup of tea :P)

Anderson isn't consistent enough for me. He was poor versus So'ton, subbed I believe in that game and then Utd picked up? (not just due to him but he didn't help) And Crawley. If these players struggle to dominate these kind of games (whilst failing in the league often also) I don't hold much hope for him. That month of decent form (I think superb is a bit strong) sticks out in the mind because there's few other notable occasions.

I was brought up watching the likes of Keane, Ince, Robson, McClair, Kanchelskis, Giggs, amongst others. In comparison the current crop isn't close. Maybe my expectations are too high but tbh I'd much prefer to be that way as quite clearly the midfield isn't good enough atm whichever way I look at it anyway.

no your expections are not that high! when you see the midfielders we used to have and compare them with what we have now, its a horrible feeling. uniteds an elite club and atm half our team are distinctly average.

united dont deserve to win anything this year(nor do any other club), our football has suffered and thats because our midfield and fringe players have not stepped up to the mark. fletcher hasnt played anywhere near the form of last year and no one has stepped up on a consistent basis.

the only saving grace we have is i dont think any other team is good enough to string 7/8 wins on the bounce and overtake us.

I reckon maybe a Moutinho, De Rossi, Hamsik, Sahin or Hernanes, I cant say that anyone of them would reject a move to United, plus Moutinho and Hernanes could be picked up cheap, while Hamski and Sahin would need to be trained into the role, De Rossi with Roma's poor form could be tempted to leave plus he's a finished project.

no your expections are not that high! when you see the midfielders we used to have and compare them with what we have now' date=' its a horrible feeling. uniteds an elite club and atm half our team are distinctly average.

united dont deserve to win anything this year(nor do any other club), our football has suffered and thats because our midfield and fringe players have not stepped up to the mark. fletcher hasnt played anywhere near the form of last year and no one has stepped up on a consistent basis.

the only saving grace we have is i dont think any other team is good enough to string 7/8 wins on the bounce and overtake us.[/quote']

Couldn't agree more. See I'm not a huge fan of Fletcher either, ha! Although he does work his backside off.

Is Utd's midfield the weakest out of the top 4/5? I think so tbh :o