Official Manchester United Thread

Re: Official Red Devils thread

think i actally read somewhere that we were linked with de rossi. we need to spend big on the finished article midfielder because in all fairness i dont think united have ever replaced keano. were seriously inadequate in that area and scholes imo would of signed already if he was going to.

• Replies 43.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• IanMcCo

• Frozy

• Hercule Poirot

• Stuart H

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Re: Official Manchester United Thread Just tried changing the password on my laptop to Man Utd defence but it said it was too weak

Re: Official Red Devils thread Apparently, it's been caused by City opening their trophy cabinet LOL

Re: Official Red Devils Thread Right I'd thought I'd air some opinions on recent activity. How Do You Solve a Problem Like Di Maria The recent acquisition of Di Maria appears to have split bo

Posted Images

I reckon maybe a Moutinho' date=' De Rossi, Hamsik, Sahin or Hernanes, I cant say that anyone of them would reject a move to United, [b']plus Moutinho [/b]and Hernanes could be picked up cheap, while Hamski and Sahin would need to be trained into the role, De Rossi with Roma's poor form could be tempted to leave plus he's a finished project.

Release clause is 40M€.. if Man Utd offers 39, 999 999M€, I can offer the remaining euro ;):)

I reckon maybe a Moutinho' date=' De Rossi, Hamsik, Sahin or Hernanes, I cant say that anyone of them would reject a move to United, plus Moutinho and Hernanes could be picked up cheap, [b']while Hamski and Sahin would need to be trained into the role[/b], De Rossi with Roma's poor form could be tempted to leave plus he's a finished project.

Hamsik can do a lot more then you think. ;)

Plus if you're looking for a dominating midfielder, Gargano or Pazienza would be your men for cheap, but hands off. :)

After looking at the photo's in the papers this morning my opinion has changed, still should have been sent off, but if you look where the injury is then it should have been protected by a shin pad, its smack in the middle of the shin.

Silly boy!

Definitely knew Carrick was gonna get blasted despite there being 5 to 6 players who were just as bad if not worse. Some of the arguments are just so ridiculously stupid

no your expections are not that high! when you see the midfielders we used to have and compare them with what we have now, its a horrible feeling

Its a good thing then that we don't play against the midfield we once had. I would be surprised if EVER have a midfield that will be as good as the one we had in the late 90's and the early noughties. That was as complete as it could get and nothing is likely to better that in my lifetime. But even in that midfield how many times did you see Paul Scholes play in a lovely through ball to set our strikers free which is what many people think seem to think we are missing.I've said this many times now, Scholes was never the attacking midfielder he is made out to be. His main job was supplying the people who created our chances, our wingers. Not to say he didn't do it all but not as often as is made out. Our creativity has always come from out wide for as long as I can care to remember or from your typical 2nd striker (Yorke, Cantona, Rooney, tevez, Berbatov etc..).

i dont think united have ever replaced keano

Another foolish statement. We have doubled our champions league final appearances since we sold him and won 3 titles on the trot. That's not good enough for you?

The midfield we have now is more or less the same one that got to 2 CL finals, they must be rubbish. They weren't too shabby either were they against the likes of Chelsea, Arsenal (we created more than a apparently very creative team) and even Liverpool at home. Micheal Carrick yesterday completed more passes than anyone on the pitch. You can go on and on about the sideways/backwards passing but how many times do Barca do that to keep possession? Not to mention Carrick's playing a lot deeper than he did 2 or 3 seasons ago and we have much less movement now when compared to the Tevez-Ronaldo-Rooney. The last time I checked (a month or 2 back) his passing percentage was 89%. Not too shabby. Fletcher apparently only works hard but thats ignoring the goals he has setup this season (although I do agree he hasn't been as good this season).

Another ridiculous belief is that Giggs and Scholes carry us. They still both do good things time from time but very inconsistent. Giggs especially loses the ball hell of a lot and does mess up plenty of of our attacks.

The only changes we need imo is

1. A goalkeeper. Kusczak wasn'ts first team football and wants to leave and Amos dosen't convince me (nor do any of the reserve or academy 'keepers). So either get a 2nd choice and start Lindegaard or sign a proven 'keeper. Whatever option it is we can't afford to take as much time to replace VDS as we did with Schmeichel.

2. A midfielder if Scholes dosen't sign a new contract or if Gibson leaves.

Our wingers, defenders and strikers are right up there with the very best in the league. Our midfield is far from rubbish as some put it. We need to get the balance right as well when we pick our CM pairing. Carrick and Scholes is an utterly slow midfield pairing and in hindsight Fletcher should have played yesterday.

And just to complete my Micheal Carrick defense here are some snippets from a blog. take into account that the blog was probably written before the Liverpool or Chelsea game

It is evident from watching United this season that Michael Carrick has been transformed into a holding midfielder. Whilst this may be obvious to people watching United week in and week out, others continue to judge Carrick based on the standards of a more attacking player, i.e. the Carrick of 2006-2008. Carrick 2.0 is charged specifically if not entirely with gaining, and then keeping possession.
It is a task Carrick is extremely good, nay, brilliant at. He can boast the highest amount of interceptions for a midfielder in the Premier League, at a staggering rate of 4.38 per game (Anderson 1.90, Scholes 1.82, Fletcher 1.54, Gibson 0.95). He can also boast the highest pass success ratio of any regular starting midfielder (i.e. 50% or more games) in the league, completing 780 out of 898 attempted passes for a success rate of 86.9%. Critics will inevitably accuse him of passing only backwards and sideways, but an examination of his chalkboards will show you that he passes conclusively forward (that is anything more than a couple of yards up the field) about 40% of the time.
Carrick has also demonstrated his enormous importance to our defensive. He has started 14 of United’s 27 league games this season. In those 14 games, we’ve conceded 8 goals. Of the 13 games he didn’t start, we’ve conceded 15 goals. So this season, when Carrick plays we concede, on average 0.57 goals, and when he doesn’t, we concede 1.15. We’ve also conceded 2 goals or more in 7 games this season – 5 of those were games Carrick didn’t play in.
Getting back to Carrick specifically, one of the biggest problem he has to contend with is the lack of appreciation of his type in England. By and large, English fans will appreciate a destroyer, a go-getter and, crudely, a blue arsed fly. It is for this reason that Darren Fletcher has not received nearly enough stick as Carrick, despite his loss of form a) actually existing and B) being quite significant. Players of the likes of Carrick and before him Veron are lambasted as wastes of space and lazy – though Veron was actually missing form most of the time at United his contribution was severely overlooked at time. The only holding player to achieve real love from the fans in England in the last few years has been Xabi Alonso – at what was at the time a very Spanish-influenced club, Spain being the home of possession football.
At this point, we will attempt to blow another couple of Carrick myths out of the water. The first, that he doesn’t get stuck in. He attempts about the same amount of tackles as other central midfielders in the league. What’s interesting is his success rate, at a little over 50% for most of his career is touching 70% this season, making it one of the highest I’ve seen, including defenders. The second is that he is a bit lazy and dozy. Again, the statistics show otherwise. Carrick covered more distance than any other United player in 4 out of his 5 Champions League group stage starts this season. Such figures aren’t available domestically, but if the trend continues then it can be said that Carrick is out there every week running his ******** off.
He is constantly criticised for unimaginative passing, but to do so is to misunderstand his role. The reason he doesn’t use his range of passing is because he’s playing a different position than he used to. He can’t afford as many risky passes as he used to take on because if he misses them possession is lost in a dangerous area of the pitch.
I accept to an extent the sense of frustration that he’s clearly got a lot more in his locker than we see on the pitch but think of it as a necessary evil. The difference between how well we retain possession with Carrick as opposed to without is evident. Every pass doesn’t need to be incisive. The better a team retains possession, the more the opposition tire and the more the gaps open up. Not that he’s not still capable of passing teams to death – he’s done it this year for example against Rangers (107/117 passes), and Blackburn (88/95).
“Invisible”. “Nothing player”. “”. All words regularly used to describe Carrick by the no-nothing neanderthals of football. He was the lone major signing in 2006 for Manchester United,who then proceeded to win their first league title in three years. And then another. And another. And a European Cup. And another final. A couple of Carling Cups too. Terrific as a relatively advanced playmaker from 2006 to mid-2009, Carrick’s form digressed in 09/10, and three brilliant seasons were forgotten in an instant. Good thing Fergie knows better. He’s gradually been transformed from that advanced position into a holding midfield role, and has turned into one of the finest players in that position, with an extraordinarily high pass success rate, the highest amount of interceptions in the league, underrated tackle success and extremely good work ethic.

Re the Carragher tackle....(sorry if you guys have been over this)

I think it's a case of 'the boy who cried wolf'.

That tackle deserved a straight red card - no if's no but's....however...

Nani has in the past gone down with even the slightest touch - and I think Phil Dowd possibly took that into account - i.e. "was it really as bad as it looked or is Nani doing a Nani?"

That said, it deserved a straight red - regardless of who the tackle was on.

Definitely knew Carrick was gonna get blasted despite there being 5 to 6 players who were just as bad if not worse. Some of the arguments are just so ridiculously stupid

Its a good thing then that we don't play against the midfield we once had. I would be surprised if EVER have a midfield that will be as good as the one we had in the late 90's and the early noughties. That was as complete as it could get and nothing is likely to better that in my lifetime. But even in that midfield how many times did you see Paul Scholes play in a lovely through ball to set our strikers free which is what many people think seem to think we are missing.I've said this many times now' date=' Scholes was never the attacking midfielder he is made out to be. His main job was supplying the people who created our chances, our wingers. Not to say he didn't do it all but not as often as is made out. Our creativity has always come from out wide for as long as I can care to remember or from your typical 2nd striker (Yorke, Cantona, Rooney, tevez, Berbatov etc..).

Another foolish statement. We have doubled our champions league final appearances since we sold him and won 3 titles on the trot. That's not good enough for you?

The midfield we have now is more or less the same one that got to 2 CL finals, they must be rubbish. They weren't too shabby either were they against the likes of Chelsea, Arsenal (we created more than a apparently very creative team) and even Liverpool at home. Micheal Carrick yesterday completed more passes than anyone on the pitch. You can go on and on about the sideways/backwards passing but how many times do Barca do that to keep possession? Not to mention Carrick's playing a lot deeper than he did 2 or 3 seasons ago and we have much less movement now when compared to the Tevez-Ronaldo-Rooney. The last time I checked (a month or 2 back) his passing percentage was 89%. Not too shabby. Fletcher apparently only works hard but thats ignoring the goals he has setup this season (although I do agree he hasn't been as good this season).

Another ridiculous belief is that Giggs and Scholes carry us. They still both do good things time from time but very inconsistent. Giggs especially loses the ball hell of a lot and does mess up plenty of of our attacks.

The only changes we need imo is

1. A goalkeeper. Kusczak wasn'ts first team football and wants to leave and Amos dosen't convince me (nor do any of the reserve or academy 'keepers). So either get a 2nd choice and start Lindegaard or sign a proven 'keeper. Whatever option it is we can't afford to take as much time to replace VDS as we did with Schmeichel.

2. A midfielder if Scholes dosen't sign a new contract or if Gibson leaves.

Our wingers, defenders and strikers are right up there with the very best in the league. Our midfield is far from rubbish as some put it. We need to get the balance right as well when we pick our CM pairing. Carrick and Scholes is an utterly slow midfield pairing and in hindsight Fletcher should have played yesterday.[/quote']

And just to complete my Micheal Carrick defense here are some snippets from a blog. take into account that the blog was probably written before the Liverpool or Chelsea game

I was hoping someone like you, Red, would step up to the plate and back me up in defending Carrick. It's one thing for me to say that Carrick is such an under-appreciated player, but all of those facts only go and prove it. Hopefully some of the morons on here who class Carrick as a waste of space read what is said here and try and watch his performances a bit closer in the future, although I doubt they'll come around to actually understanding the tactics and ways of the game that SAF asks Carrick to employ.

P.S. Could you quickly provide me the link to that article - I would like to show it to a Unitedite friend of mine who similarly blasts Carrick for his "uselessness".

I was hoping someone like you' date=' Red, would step up to the plate and back me up in defending Carrick. It's one thing for me to say that Carrick is such an under-appreciated player, but all of those facts only go and prove it. Hopefully some of the morons on here who class Carrick as a waste of space read what is said here and try and watch his performances a bit closer in the future, although I doubt they'll come around to actually understanding the tactics and ways of the game that SAF asks Carrick to employ.

P.S. Could you quickly provide me the link to that article - I would like to show it to a Unitedite friend of mine who similarly blasts Carrick for his "uselessness".[/quote']

Fair enough carrick might now be a holding midfielder but he should still have his attcking qualities i.e pinging 50-60 yard diagonals that consistently go to our wingers like scholesy can. Consistency is another thing he is a bit like berbatov a couple of good games in 6/7 games. I like carrick but he needs to be more consistent and if that happens i think united fans will start to like carrick again.

I was hoping someone like you' date=' Red, would step up to the plate and back me up in defending Carrick. It's one thing for me to say that Carrick is such an under-appreciated player, but all of those facts only go and prove it. Hopefully some of the [b']morons[/b] on here who class Carrick as a waste of space read what is said here and try and watch his performances a bit closer in the future, although I doubt they'll come around to actually understanding the tactics and ways of the game that SAF asks Carrick to employ.

P.S. Could you quickly provide me the link to that article - I would like to show it to a Unitedite friend of mine who similarly blasts Carrick for his "uselessness".

I don't know what the matter is with people on here :rolleyes: people disagree and here we go the name calling, it's pretty pathetic, how old are you? I would have hoped for better from an actual mod! :rolleyes:

That has 'proven' nothing, games aren't on played on paper and stats can easily provide false impressions but as another who can't accept people might have a differing view-point to his own I tend to stay clear of that individual. It's no wonder sometimes why every other club hates Utd fans, I'm not even that keen.

I don't know what the matter is with people on here :rolleyes: people disagree and here we go the name calling' date=' it's pretty pathetic, how old are you? I would have hoped for better from an actual mod! :rolleyes:

That has 'proven' nothing, games aren't on played on paper and stats can easily provide false impressions but as another who can't accept people might have a differing view-point to his own I tend to stay clear of that individual. It's no wonder sometimes why every other club hates Utd fans, I'm not even that keen.[/quote']

Who said I was singling you out? The vast majority of this forum (or dare I say it, this country) doesn't appreciate Carrick's abilities as a footballer enough, so I guess I'm labelling almost everyone on here a moron - don't make yourself feel so special!

I'm perfectly happy with people having a different opinion to me, but to call Carrick poor, useless or any other derogatory term to describe his footballing abilities are moronic statements. I'm sorry, that's just my opinion and it will always stay that way. Perhaps that doesn't automatically make you a moron (that's the general "you", not "you" personally), but it baffles me why Carrick gets so much stick over other players that are out of form, simply because they are somewhat flashier players. I just wish people would realise what role he is actually being asked to perform on the pitch and then rate his performances accordingly.

Not sure I understand your last sentence - I'm not a United fan. :confused:

In total agreement with andy here, Carrick is by no means "poor", a great football when on top of his game and even when he's not he does his job and gets on with it! Simple.

Also strong links to United and Pastore? Great news I think, an absolute class act of a players .. Love his style!

I got called a moron' date=' because I said Carroll only rose to 88 because liverpool signed him.:rolleyes:

What other reason is there?:eek:[/quote']

It's not moronic to suggest that, but that should not be the reason why he rose.

But that's neither here nor there in this context, on the Official Red Devils thread.

Guest JackWWFC

Sorry mate' date=' wrong thread.:) Though can you give me another reason why he rose then?[/quote']

He was the 2nd top scorer in the EPL, maybe that's the reason... Scoring more than Torres (95) Rooney..etc..

He was the 2nd top scorer in the EPL' date=' maybe that's the reason... Scoring more than Torres (95) Rooney..etc..[/quote']

Yup thats true,but after last raiting changes,he played only few games as I can remember,but to be honest I dont care.

What I really care is what will Ferguson do with about 100M for transfers.

I heard again that Pastore is really,but really close to United. :D

Guest JackWWFC

How strong are these rumours about United close to signing Pastore? I have only heard them here :P

I can't see it happening, if it does though then fair play to Man U.