• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• IanMcCo

• Frozy

• Hercule Poirot

• Stuart H

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Re: Official Manchester United Thread Just tried changing the password on my laptop to Man Utd defence but it said it was too weak

Re: Official Red Devils thread Apparently, it's been caused by City opening their trophy cabinet LOL

Re: Official Red Devils Thread Right I'd thought I'd air some opinions on recent activity. How Do You Solve a Problem Like Di Maria The recent acquisition of Di Maria appears to have split bo

Posted Images

Re: Official Red Devils thread

Re the Carragher tackle....(sorry if you guys have been over this)

I think it's a case of 'the boy who cried wolf'.

That tackle deserved a straight red card - no if's no but's....however...

Nani has in the past gone down with even the slightest touch - and I think Phil Dowd possibly took that into account - i.e. "was it really as bad as it looked or is Nani doing a Nani?"

That said' date=' it deserved a straight red - regardless of who the tackle was on.[/quote']

indeed - if nani wasnt such a minge carragher would have got a red, but he should learn not to wear £5 argos shinpads incorrectly

Guest JackWWFC

indeed - if nani wasnt such a minge carragher would have got a red' date=' but he should learn not to wear £5 argos shinpads incorrectly[/quote']

To be fair I always wear small lighter shinpads. I've broke my leg in bigger thicker ones and I prefer the thinner ones tbh.

Depends on how hard the other player comes in..regardless of protection.

To be fair I always wear small lighter shinpads. I've broke my leg in bigger thicker ones and I prefer the thinner ones tbh.

Lot less injuries if they wear ankle protectors, some shinnies come with them or you can just buy them.

And when it's Jamie Carragher playing against United you can expect it to be a fairly 'hard' tackle. ;)

Loved yesterday's match - If Suarez had cost £35m I reckon he'd be worth it in the long term. Hopefully Nani's gash keeps him out of the FA Cup. Fingers crossed, anyway!

Guest JackWWFC

Lot less injuries if they wear ankle protectors' date=' some shinnies come with them or you can just buy them.[/quote']

Yeah..mine have them. They stick to your shin better as well and feel generally better.

Definitely knew Carrick was gonna get blasted despite there being 5 to 6 players who were just as bad if not worse. Some of the arguments are just so ridiculously stupid

firstly my problem with carrick has not just came all of a sudden which you seem to be implying.

secondly its not an argument im getting into.

carrick is letting united down big time consistently and is not up to the standard of united. that is my opinion' date=' u have yours.

[b']

Its a good thing then that we don't play against the midfield we once had. I would be surprised if EVER have a midfield that will be as good as the one we had in the late 90's and the early noughties. That was as complete as it could get and nothing is likely to better that in my lifetime. But even in that midfield how many times did you see Paul Scholes play in a lovely through ball to set our strikers free which is what many people think seem to think we are missing.I've said this many times now, Scholes was never the attacking midfielder he is made out to be. His main job was supplying the people who created our chances, our wingers. Not to say he didn't do it all but not as often as is made out. Our creativity has always come from out wide for as long as I can care to remember or from your typical 2nd striker (Yorke, Cantona, Rooney, tevez, Berbatov etc..). [/b]

whats your point here, we are on about carrick. to say scholes wasn't an attacking midfielders is wrong in my view, am i going to say this is foolish, no need to its pretty evident to anyone that watches football what the answer to that is. basically your making an excuse for carricks lack of creativity.

adventure going forward. your just happy to sit and watch him play 1-2's with the defence and slow united down, occasionally he plays a superb long pass but that isn't enough, iv lost count the amount of times hes failed to pick up a midfielder's run into the box, jogging back like, wheres the energy.

Another foolish statement. We have doubled our champions league final appearances since we sold him and won 3 titles on the trot. That's not good enough for you?

no its not, as a supporter of the greatest club of all time i expect to win everything, its a terrific achievement but you get what im saying. im sure SAF expects to win everything the club is entered in and anything less is somewhat of a failure. thats the standards united have created.

what did we win with him? this argument you make is stupid.

you actually state below why all that happened, the holy trinity so to speak

The midfield we have now is more or less the same one that got to 2 CL finals, they must be rubbish. They weren't too shabby either were they against the likes of Chelsea, Arsenal (we created more than a apparently very creative team) and even Liverpool at home. Micheal Carrick yesterday completed more passes than anyone on the pitch. You can go on and on about the sideways/backwards passing but how many times do Barca do that to keep possession? Not to mention Carrick's playing a lot deeper than he did 2 or 3 seasons ago and we have much less movement now when compared to the Tevez-Ronaldo-Rooney. The last time I checked (a month or 2 back) his passing percentage was 89%. Not too shabby. Fletcher apparently only works hard but thats ignoring the goals he has setup this season (although I do agree he hasn't been as good this season).

the difference their mate is that barca actually advance forward and make good runs. also the pace they play at is faster. and normally their winning 3/4-0. not chasing a game.

michael carrick completed more passes, ffs c'mon, point one out that actually made us a chance. these stats are very misleading.

Another ridiculous belief is that Giggs and Scholes carry us. They still both do good things time from time but very inconsistent. Giggs especially loses the ball hell of a lot and does mess up plenty of of our attacks...

i said you cant expect them to carry us at their age, its no wonder their inconsistent, surely a player of carricks class should be stepping up too the mark and replace them. vidic and nani have carried us this year with berba and hernandez getting vital goals. is carrick a match winner. i mean are we ever gonna see carrick make a lung bursting run in the last minute of a derby into the box to get his head on the end of a cross...

this was a 35 yr old midfielder playing the exact same role as carrick...

The only changes we need imo is

1. A goalkeeper. Kusczak wasn'ts first team football and wants to leave and Amos dosen't convince me (nor do any of the reserve or academy 'keepers). So either get a 2nd choice and start Lindegaard or sign a proven 'keeper. Whatever option it is we can't afford to take as much time to replace VDS as we did with Schmeichel.

2. A midfielder if Scholes dosen't sign a new contract or if Gibson leaves.

Our wingers, defenders and strikers are right up there with the very best in the league. Our midfield is far from rubbish as some put it. We need to get the balance right as well when we pick our CM pairing. Carrick and Scholes is an utterly slow midfield pairing and in hindsight Fletcher should have played yesterday...

your expectations of united are very low if you believe this.

im not happy barca are better than us and you can bet your house on city investing in the summer. real madrids midfield is world class, can you say the same about uniteds? i want united as kings of europe again, and thats not going to happen without getting a world class midfielder in to replace carrick. plaese dont call my arguments foolish, it makes you sound condescending and arrogent and unopen to reason

whats your point here, we are on about carrick. to say scholes wasn't an attacking midfielders is wrong in my view, am i going to say this is foolish, no need to its pretty evident to anyone that watches football what the answer to that is. basically your making an excuse for carricks lack of creativity.

adventure going forward. your just happy to sit and watch him play 1-2's with the defence and slow united down, occasionally he plays a superb long pass but that isn't enough, iv lost count the amount of times hes failed to pick up a midfielder's run into the box, jogging back like, wheres the energy.

Scholes isn't and never was a attacking midfielder at least not when you consider the current definition of a attacking midfielder and look at the likes of Silva, VDV, pastore etc... You say Carrick isn't creative which is fair enough but the point he dosen't need to be and thats not his job. People go on about our supposed lack of creativity but facts will tell you United are top scorers marginally ahead of Arsenal who have a score of attacking midfielders. Its almost like slating De Jong for not creating enough, ITS NOT HIS BLOODY JOB TO DO SO. Carrick might appear to be jogging but as the stats tell you hes been the most hardworking United player. Must admit this stat even took me by surprise.

no its not, as a supporter of the greatest club of all time i expect to win everything, its a terrific achievement but you get what im saying. im sure SAF expects to win everything the club is entered in and anything less is somewhat of a failure. thats the standards united have created.

what did we win with him? this argument you make is stupid.

you actually state below why all that happened, the holy trinity so to speak

That point is so stupid, not even sure why I am bothering to reply. 3 premier league titles, 2 carling cups, 2 CL finals in 4 seasons is MORE than good enough for me. Of course I'd want United to win everything but lets not get greedy shall we. back to the Roy Keane point, what exactly did we win in his last 3 seasons? Next to nothing and top it all United probably played some of the worst football in that period. If you mean United havent signed another Keane type player then your right but on the other hand we never replaced the likes of Cantona, Van Nistelrooy and Ronaldo with similar players. And those 3 weren't to bad were they... The holy trinity is again a poor point. 2 of them were already at the club and had already had couple of seasons at the club before Carrick signed and we never looked like we were gonna win anything. Carrick's signing seemed to click everything into gear. The football we played improved and so did the results. He wasn't solely responsible of course but did play a massive part.

the difference their mate is that barca actually advance forward and make good runs. also the pace they play at is faster. and normally their winning 3/4-0. not chasing a game.

michael carrick completed more passes, ffs c'mon, point one out that actually made us a chance. these stats are very misleading.

I wasn't comparing us to Barca but the point is they do make plenty of those sideways passes. Another point is they have some unbelievable movement up top something which Carrick hasn't had since the Rooney/Ronaldo/Tevez combination. We now have a more static paring in Rooney/Berba. Again the stats are not misleading, no one expects him to create chances which is something you need to get into your head.

your expectations of united are very low if you believe this.

im not happy barca are better than us and you can bet your house on city investing in the summer. real madrids midfield is world class, can you say the same about uniteds? i want united as kings of europe again, and thats not going to happen without getting a world class midfielder in to replace carrick. plaese dont call my arguments foolish, it makes you sound condescending and arrogent and unopen to reason

Barca are not only better than us but better than every other team on the planet. Real might have a world class midfield midfield (not won them much though has it) but we have a better team in every other area. Better wingers (Ronaldo aside), better defenders and better strikers. You seem to ignore that? A world class midfielder requires money which we don't have. Glazers have on average have spent less than 3m per season since they have taken over. What makes you think they will be ready to spend 40m+ on a single player? Wouldn't surprise me if the Glazers have something to with all these Pastore rumours pretending to have money.

Scholes isn't and never was a attacking midfielder at least not when you consider the current definition of a attacking midfielder and look at the likes of Silva' date=' VDV, pastore etc... You say Carrick isn't creative which is fair enough but the point he dosen't need to be and thats not his job. People go on about our supposed lack of creativity but facts will tell you United are top scorers marginally ahead of Arsenal who have a score of attacking midfielders. Its almost like slating De Jong for not creating enough, ITS NOT HIS BLOODY JOB TO DO SO. Carrick might appear to be jogging but as the stats tell you hes been the most hardworking United player. Must admit this stat even took me by surprise.

That point is so stupid, not even sure why I am bothering to reply. 3 premier league titles, 2 carling cups, 2 CL finals in 4 seasons is MORE than good enough for me. Of course I'd want United to win everything but lets not get greedy shall we. back to the Roy Keane point, what exactly did we win in his last 3 seasons? Next to nothing and top it all United probably played some of the worst football in that period. If you mean United havent signed another Keane type player then your right but on the other hand we never replaced the likes of Cantona, Van Nistelrooy and Ronaldo with similar players. And those 3 weren't to bad were they... The holy trinity is again a poor point. 2 of them were already at the club and had already had couple of seasons at the club before Carrick signed and we never looked like we were gonna win anything. Carrick's signing seemed to click everything into gear. The football we played improved and so did the results. He wasn't solely responsible of course but did play a massive part.

[b']dont reply then. why even put that in, u come across so " i know it all" ffs come back down to earth, your a virtual manager for gods sake. your one for a reason.[/b]

I wasn't comparing us to Barca but the point is they do make plenty of those sideways passes. Another point is they have some unbelievable movement up top something which Carrick hasn't had since the Rooney/Ronaldo/Tevez combination. We now have a more static paring in Rooney/Berba. Again the stats are not misleading, no one expects him to create chances which is something you need to get into your head.

Barca are not only better than us but better than every other team on the planet. Real might have a world class midfield midfield (not won them much though has it) but we have a better team in every other area. Better wingers (Ronaldo aside), better defenders and better strikers. You seem to ignore that? A world class midfielder requires money which we don't have. Glazers have on average have spent less than 3m per season since they have taken over. What makes you think they will be ready to spend 40m+ on a single player? Wouldn't surprise me if the Glazers have something to with all these Pastore rumours pretending to have money.

did i say anything about our defence forwards or wingers.

stop putting words in my mouth, thats twice you have done that now.

here it is then, our views are in complete contrast on carrick. i think carricks muck, u think hes class. thats it debate over.

Can I throw in a 'neutral' POV on Carrick?

Ok, thanks...I will then :D

For 4 1/2 years now Carrick has done a lot of the unnoticed work in the Man United midfield.

He doesn't do the fancy things you expect of a Zidane, and isn't a Gattuso either.

He just quietly works away in the midfield, and never really gets any plaudits for the work he does.

Because of this, when he makes a mistake (i.e. against Bayern) he then get's the finger waved at him.

To replace Carrick would cost about £20mill - and you can't guarantee you would be improving the team

Nani is injured for few weeks' date='4-5 games he will be out,versus arsenal,bolton,marseille,some really important games for us :/.[/quote']

Not true as of yet. United website had something about still assessing him for a couple of days. His bone was visible apparently.... The International break couldn't have come at a better time tbh. Hopefully we'll have Ferdinand, valencia, Park, Anderson, Evans all fully fit after the break.

Can I throw in a 'neutral' POV on Carrick?

Ok' date=' thanks...I will then :D

For 4 1/2 years now Carrick has done a lot of the unnoticed work in the Man United midfield.

He doesn't do the fancy things you expect of a Zidane, and isn't a Gattuso either.

He just quietly works away in the midfield, and never really gets any plaudits for the work he does.

Because of this, when he makes a mistake (i.e. against Bayern) he then get's the finger waved at him.

To replace Carrick would cost about £20mill - and you can't guarantee you would be improving the team[/quote']

Carrick cost us 18mill and he was signed for his passing ability and he doesn't pass the ball 60 yards like he used to. And for 18 mill you want at least some noticed work that goes noticed i.e. passes that slice open defences

Carrick cost us 18mill and he was signed for his passing ability and he doesn't pass the ball 60 yards like he used to. And for 18 mill you want at least some noticed work that goes noticed i.e. passes that slice open defences

If United were playing "60 yard" passes I would call them Blackburn or Stoke.....

Maybe he could develop a long throw :D

But whilst I agree that Carrick is not in the same class as perhaps Gerrard or Lampard - he is a completely different type of player.

My honest view is that Fergie has moved Carrick deeper - because he hasn't had Hargreaves available.

If United were playing "60 yard" passes I would call them Blackburn or Stoke.....

Maybe he could develop a long throw :D

But whilst I agree that Carrick is not in the same class as perhaps Gerrard or Lampard - he is a completely different type of player.

My honest view is that Fergie has moved Carrick deeper - because he hasn't had Hargreaves available.

I didn't mean 60 yard passes to a target man i meant 60 yard passes over the top of the defence for nani, rooney etc. to run on to.

Guest JackWWFC

you seriously need to get out there and make some real friends.

respect my opinion' date=' i respect yours i just dont agree with them.[/quote']

BOOOOM!

GAME OVER!

1ST ROUND K.O goes to YEEHAA

you seriously need to get out there and make some real friends.

respect my opinion' date=' i respect yours i just dont agree with them.[/quote']

Thanks I have a pretty good social life....

I don't want you to agree with me, couldn't care less in fact but some of your points i.e not replacing Roy Keane were quite poor and you didn't seem to like it when I pointed it out...

I didn't mean 60 yard passes to a target man i meant 60 yard passes over the top of the defence for nani' date=' rooney etc. to run on to.[/quote']

60 yard passes are still 'long balls', but I do understand what you mean.

If Fergiw wanted to play that way, you would need to become more defensive - to draw their back 4 up the pitch.

The problem is for United - particularly at home - is that teams park the bus.

No player in the world can play a 60 yards into a space between a back 4 and the keeper when it is only 15yards.

All I am saying is...Carrick isn't useless - he just isn't "special", but he's certainly better than Gibson by many many miles (regardless of stages in career)

BOOOOM!

GAME OVER!

1ST ROUND K.O goes to YEEHAA

Its a pity aint it that I'll always have one over you:D

Steven Fletcher - Proven premier league goalscorer

Javier Hernandez - Overrated 'cos he joined United from a Mexican 'expert'

and before you say it well done on beating us. Shame your still going down though

Who said I was singling you out? The vast majority of this forum (or dare I say it' date=' this country) doesn't appreciate Carrick's abilities as a footballer enough, so I guess I'm labelling almost everyone on here a moron - don't make yourself feel so special!

I'm perfectly happy with people having a different opinion to me, but to call Carrick poor, useless or any other derogatory term to describe his footballing abilities are moronic statements. I'm sorry, that's just my opinion and it will always stay that way. Perhaps that doesn't automatically make you a moron (that's the general "you", not "you" personally), but it baffles me why Carrick gets so much stick over other players that are out of form, simply because they are somewhat flashier players. I just wish people would realise what role he is actually being asked to perform on the pitch and then rate his performances accordingly.

Not sure I understand your last sentence - I'm not a United fan. :confused:[/quote']

Lol when the majority of the country can see something you don't, hasn't it occurred something must be seriously amiss? :o

Did I say it was directed at myself? To use any derogatory comments aimed at anyone else, be it on the forum or elsewhere purely for disagreeing deserves the term you are so quick to dish out. I'm not special, neither are you or YOUR views, you seem to think they have some stronger standing than everyone elses, hypocritical?

Did I say you were a Utd fan, I may be quick to make presumptions but from your name I immediately thought you were a Wednesday fan. That wasn't directed at you - don't make yourself feel so special! I just find it interesting that a lot of Utd fans (myself included) don't rate Carrick, surely they should exhibit some bias? Sure you're throw 'scapegoat' into the mix but do you really think the majority of us want that? I don't find it easy/like criticising a Utd player.

(See what happens when the name calling or the 'derogatory terms', splitting hairs if you ask me, come in. The sensible debate goes out the window. Shame because up to this point, I respected your opinion albeit not in agreement. Leave emotions at the door)

Guest JackWWFC

Its a pity aint it that I'll always have one over you:D

Steven Fletcher - Proven premier league goalscorer

Javier Hernandez - Overrated 'cos he joined United from a Mexican 'expert'

and before you say it well done on beating us. Shame your still going down though

2-1

Say no more.

sexymick3.gif

The plaque on your teeth just got wiped off. K.O by YeeHaa