Official Manchester United Thread

Re: Official Red Devils thread

Shortly before joining Sir Alex Ferguson’s side on transfer deadline day three years ago, Manchester City reportedly lodged an offer for his signature, and Berbatov explained why he snubbed the blue half of Manchester.

"My mind was always set on joining Manchester United," he said.

"How can you not go to United? I don't play for money. I play for glory and winning championships."

Berbatov - lazy but not stupid:D

• Replies 43.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• IanMcCo

• Frozy

• Hercule Poirot

• Stuart H

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Re: Official Manchester United Thread Just tried changing the password on my laptop to Man Utd defence but it said it was too weak

Re: Official Red Devils thread Apparently, it's been caused by City opening their trophy cabinet LOL

Re: Official Red Devils Thread Right I'd thought I'd air some opinions on recent activity. How Do You Solve a Problem Like Di Maria The recent acquisition of Di Maria appears to have split bo

Posted Images

His statement said he didn't play for money. So far as I can tell he plays (well actually' date=' he doesn't but let's skirt over that) for £110k per week...[/quote']

Taking it too literally, I beleive he meant he would prefer to earn less money but win trophies rather than be paid far too much and not win trophies.

So you can see the logic in joining us.

To be fair he did practically win us the Premiership last year, which is more than any other high paid player in England has been able to do for quite some time now.

Taking it too literally' date=' I beleive he meant he would prefer to earn less money but win trophies rather than be paid far too much and not win trophies.

So you can see the logic in joining us.[/quote']

Well, bravo Captain Obvious.

To be fair he did practically win us the Premiership last year' date=' which is more than any other high paid player in England has been able to do for quite some time now.[/quote']

No he didn't, he was dire for most of last year. He got his goal tally across about 3 games...

Well' date=' bravo Captain Obvious.

No he didn't, he was dire for most of last year. He got his goal tally across about 3 games...[/quote']

Obvious yes but seem to contort his quote by taking it too literally, so I felt that somebody had to dumb it down a little.

Without Berbas goals we wouldnt have won the Premiership last year, how can you argue with that ?

Taking things a bit to literally again.

Anywho, I cant help but get the impression we are running out of steam, alot of people have been talking about the dire season we had when we last started this well, just hope Evra wakes up and Vidic tightens up the backline.

Vidic and Jones would be absolutley fearsome.

Well' date=' bravo Captain Obvious.

No he didn't, he was dire for most of last year. He got his goal tally across about 3 games...[/quote']

Actually stats say that he scored 8 winning goals. More than any other player in the premier league. That in itself is testament to how important he was but Ill give you that he was pretty bad in much of the season.

It's been pretty quiet on the club front this week due to international games...but one story has popped up that surprised me.

Manchester United snaps up Irish star's medals

I'm surprised that a club that has been distancing itself from fan voices and the local community over recent years has decided to help a former player...but it's nice that they have.

Why were they up for sale? Has he hit on hard times?

At the start of his United career he will have been earning max £20* a week - until 1961 when the maximum wage was abolished' date=' but even after that date only top players earned in excess of £100 a week

An awful lot of footballers from that era didn't make a lot of money from the game - although they did earn more than the average man - hence why testimonials used to mean a lot to the individual.

Nowadays the testimonials are pointless as most of the players will have earned a fortune during their career, and won't be at club long enough anyway - and it's just another big payday to them - I remember stories of Giggs pocketing £1mill (tax free)[1] in 2001 from his testimonial.

I only used him as an example - nothing more, as I know other United and other clubs players have given their testimonial money to charities.

*£20 was still a lot more than the majorty of people earned in those days though.

At the start of his United career he will have been earning max £20* a week - until 1961 when the maximum wage was abolished' date=' but even after that date only top players earned in excess of £100 a week

An awful lot of footballers from that era didn't make a lot of money from the game - although they did earn more than the average man - hence why testimonials used to mean a lot to the individual.

Nowadays the testimonials are pointless as most of the players will have earned a fortune during their career, and won't be at club long enough anyway - and it's just another big payday to them - I remember stories of Giggs pocketing £1mill (tax free)[1] in 2001 from his testimonial.

I only used him as an example - nothing more, as I know other United and other clubs players have given their testimonial money to charities.

*£20 was still a lot more than the majorty of people earned in those days though.

Yeah I see what you mean. Its still not a scratch on what footballers earn these days. Thats still very sad to see. I wasn't alive back then but to see one of my heroes laid low like that would be a sad day indeed.

He only scored in 2/3 less games than Tevez' date=' stupid statement.[/quote']

Tevez scored in 16 league games last season (he played 31 league games)

Berbatov scored in 11 league games last season (he played 32 league games)

So Tevez scored in 5 more games than Berba - not 2/3 :) Stupid statement :)

I am fully aware of their minutes per goal ratio though - but chose not to include that hehe

Tevez scored in 16 league games last season (he played 31 league games)

Berbatov scored in 11 league games last season (he played 32 league games)

So Tevez scored in 5 more games than Berba - not 2/3 :) Stupid statement :)

I am fully aware of their minutes per goal ratio though - but chose not to include that hehe

Maybe he meant 2+3?

And for those curious as to the goals per minute, it was:

Berbatov- Goal per 110.5mins

Tevez- Goal per 126.4mins

But the best was Robin Van Persie at a goal every 98.28mins

To be honest the whole 'statistics' for and against Berbatov are irrelevant.

Many a fan has been saying he is not a United type player for the last 2-3 years and finally SAF seems to be agreeing.

He wont get a new contract and will undoubtedly get shipped off to France or Germany in january for a cut price 3-4m as he is out of contract in the summer.

I am sure SAF is aware of the stats of Berba but the stats of Welbeck, Hernandez and Rooney are better......

Many a fan has been saying he is not a United type player for the last 2-3 years and finally SAF seems to be agreeing.

He wont get a new contract and will undoubtedly get shipped off to France or Germany in january for a cut price 3-4m as he is out of contract in the summer.

I am sure SAF is aware of the stats of Berba but the stats of Welbeck' date=' Hernandez and Rooney are better......[/quote']

I definitely agree, hes a good player but totally unsuited to United. Would love to see him play in Italy where they would revere him as a god.

I am sure SAF is aware of the stats of Berba but the stats of Welbeck' date=' Hernandez and Rooney are better......[/quote']

So...all in all, you are saying that Berba was an expensive flop and that Fergie shouldn't have signed him?

:)