Official Manchester United Thread

Re: Official Red Devils thread

Hopefully Fergie saw Llorente as one player to partner Rooney :P

Out of all of Bilbao's 'star' players, hes the one we should be looking at least. Don't get me wrong, I think hes a top player and has been for some time now but hes similar to Hernandez in what he does and we also have Welbeck as another option up top.

Truly we should be looking far closer at Martinez or even possibly Herrera who could be that creative spark in the middle although hes still somewhat of a diamond in the rough. Muniain - everyone in the world will 'know' about him now, can see him staying at Bilbao for at least another season or 2 yet.

• Replies 43.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• IanMcCo

• Frozy

• Hercule Poirot

• Stuart H

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Re: Official Manchester United Thread Just tried changing the password on my laptop to Man Utd defence but it said it was too weak

Re: Official Red Devils thread Apparently, it's been caused by City opening their trophy cabinet LOL

Re: Official Red Devils Thread Right I'd thought I'd air some opinions on recent activity. How Do You Solve a Problem Like Di Maria The recent acquisition of Di Maria appears to have split bo

Posted Images

Wish I could remember who it was but a footballer had his foot stepped on' date=' lost his boot and went on to score, the goal was allowed to stand.

Anyway the play was wrongly stopped.[/quote']

It was Ronaldo - can't remember the match but was for us at OT a few years back. Lost his left boot but ran another 5/6 yards and scored.

Oh' date=' the losses of the Mancunians were my gain. I mean, I gained money by betting on both Sporting and Bilbao. Oh the joy! Thank goodness the majority of betting agencies overestimate the English clubs.[/quote']

Hardly 'overestimating' them.

Both should have won their respective matches but played poorly and were punished accordingly.

Yes, this is a bad year for English football in Europe, but Real and Barca aside, I would fancy ANY of the English CL entrants to beat their foreign counter-parts over 2 legs.

Wish I could remember who it was but a footballer had his foot stepped on' date=' lost his boot and went on to score, the goal was allowed to stand.

Anyway the play was wrongly stopped.[/quote']

That argumnent may rumble on and on, but I don't see anyone here complaining that Rooney scored the penalty even though the handball was originally outside the box.

If the honourable thing to do is give the ball back, then Roone yshould have passed the ball back to the GK rather than slamming it into the net :)

If the honourable thing to do is give the ball back' date=' then Roone yshould have passed the ball back to the GK rather than slamming it into the net :)[/quote']

:confused: You know that is completely different.

Of course Bilbao didn't have to pass the ball back to us, but the honourable thing to do would have been that. After all, it is only a game and sportsmanship should play a major part.

Hardly 'overestimating' them.

Both should have won their respective matches but played poorly and were punished accordingly.

Yes' date=' this is a bad year for English football in Europe, but Real and Barca aside, I would fancy ANY of the English CL entrants to beat their foreign counter-parts over 2 legs.[/quote']

Are you serious? The betting company I use gave Bilbao 7/1 odds and 5/1 to Sproting that was playing at home. Are you seriously suggesting that it was not overestimating English clubs? And when City played away against Bayern earlier this season, Munchen got 4/1 odds at home!? That was free money, man. English clubs always get lower odds from the betting agencies than they should, and their opponents always have higher. The reason is simple: the no. 1 football betting country in the west at least is England. The English people bet the most, and they are also so die hard fans that they bet their own teams, be it rational or not. The betting agencies reflect the betting tendencies when giving odds: the odds are lower to the side that is expected to be played the most and eventually that is played the most (if there suddenly are more bets on one side than expected, the company reacts and lowers the odds, because otherwise it may end up paying too heavily).

In short: it is not overestimating that you expect United to win Bilbao, but at the given moment it was clear that the odds were wrong. Bilbao was more likely to come out with points than what the odds reflected. Even the odds for a draw were higher than 4/1 everywhere. Yet the companies probably walked out as winners, because basically this means that most people played United and only very few understood to play Bilbao, which means that they got to keep almost all the money that was played on this result, and the 7/1 odds only means only losses of 6 times the money played on Bilbao, which probably is hardly 5-10% of all money played on the match result, if even that much.

:confused: You know that is completely different.

Of course Bilbao didn't have to pass the ball back to us' date=' but the honourable thing to do would have been that. After all, it is only a game and sportsmanship should play a major part.[/quote']

Bilboa didn't have to do anything - because the referee gave a freekick to them.

They took advantage and scored.

United also took advantage of an incorrect decision - it's exactly the same thing.

Bilboa didn't have to do anything - because the referee gave a freekick to them.

They took advantage and scored.

United also took advantage of an incorrect decision - it's exactly the same thing.

I both agree and disagree. Even on replays it's indiscernible whether the handball was in the box or not so the United players had no idea it may not have been a penalty (I say may not as a still photo isn't conclusive).

That said, Athletic were under no obligation to give the ball back to United and frankly, the situation shouldn't have been dangerous anyway. Horrible defending from Rafael.

That said' date=' Athletic were under no obligation to give the ball back to United and frankly, the situation shouldn't have been dangerous anyway. Horrible defending from Rafael.[/quote']

That truly is one nominate for the goal of the year. Just because of Rafael's defending makes it so funny to watch.

Are you serious? The betting company I use gave Bilbao 7/1 odds and 5/1 to Sproting that was playing at home. Are you seriously suggesting that it was not overestimating English clubs? And when City played away against Bayern earlier this season' date=' Munchen got 4/1 odds at home!? That was free money, man. English clubs always get lower odds from the betting agencies than they should, and their opponents always have higher. The reason is simple: the no. 1 football betting country in the west at least is England. The English people bet the most, and they are also so die hard fans that they bet their own teams, be it rational or not. The betting agencies reflect the betting tendencies when giving odds: the odds are lower to the side that is expected to be played the most and eventually that is played the most (if there suddenly are more bets on one side than expected, the company reacts and lowers the odds, because otherwise it may end up paying too heavily).

[b']

I think the odd's last night reflected the belief that a poor Sporting team who are miles behind Porto (who were comfortably dispatched by City in the previous round) and are very incosistent in Portugal should not have caused City many problems. Taking everything into account (squads, form etc) a win for City seemed most probable, with maybe a chance of a draw imo.

The same for Utd whose form at OT is usually exemplary, coupled with the fact that we have only ever once lost 2 consecutive European ties at OT, have a 'arguably' better team than Bilbao and we are in good form recently.

Yes imo the odd's should have been around the 5/1 Bilbao and 4/1 Sporting, but this is not too far off where they were, and as you point out this would have been due to 'English' fans betting on victories for Utd and City.

However, I will agree that Bayern Munich being 4/1 to win ANY home match is absurd. Even were they facing Real or Barca I could never envisage them being further than 2/1 at most.[/b]

Replies in bold;)

That truly is one nominate for the goal of the year. Just because of Rafael's defending makes it so funny to watch.

Rafael was under the impression that De Gea was going to gather up the ball, but that is no excuse for his lack of awareness which led to the goal.

Ultimately the fault lies well and truly with Luis Suarez.

Replies in bold;)

Being a favourite and being favourite with 8/15 odds, while your actually very strong opponent is having 7/1 odds is a different thing.

Yeah, I think Bayern having 4/1 at home against a City side that is playing their first CL season and had hardly drawn their earlier home match against Napoli stands symbolic of the fact that English teams are overestimated in the betting odds. But as I said, it only reflects the behaviour of the gambling people (not "gamblers" like me, but anybody just playing a bet). If masses play City's victory over Bayern and not vice versa, then the betting agencies must bring the City's odds down fast or otherwise they will pay it heavily if City wins.

Rafael was under the impression that De Gea was going to gather up the ball' date=' but that is no excuse for his lack of awareness which led to the goal.

Ultimately the fault lies well and truly with Luis Suarez.[/quote']

Regardless of who's fault it is, it looks funny.

Sir Alex will check on Chris Smalling's fitness before deciding on his line-up against West Brom on Sunday.

The England defender was substituted during the defeat to Athletic Club after aggravating the head injury sustained on international duty against Holland while Rio Ferdinand was an unused substitute on Thursday, the boss preferring to move Phil Jones back to centre-half.

Ferdinand could return against the Baggies but may be held back for the Bilbao trip instead and there will be a couple of changes to the line-up as Paul Scholes is an option to feature in midfield after sitting out the Europa League reverse. Nani is pushing for a place in midfield after getting a run-out against the Basque side.

When asked if Rio will be left out again at the weekend, Sir Alex replied: "Rio is such a great player and he has great experience. It depends on Chris Smalling. His stitches came open in the first half.

"We thought we’d patched them up at half time but they came open again. It’s a possibility. I will maybe gamble with a couple on Sunday for Thursday’s game."

The Reds remain in a great position in the Barclays Premier League, two points behind leaders Manchester City, who play at Swansea on Sunday, with the Liberty Stadium fixture also kicking off at 2pm.

"The players know the challenge is there and we have a great opportunity to kick on after the great result at Spurs and hopefully we’ll manage to do that," added the boss.

"I’ll make one or two changes. Scholes is available and so are Nani and Rio Ferdinand to get the freshness back in.

"West Brom are in a bit of form. But we’re at home and we’re expected to win our games at home and hopefully we can put this [Thursday's] result behind us."