George Long - The next Joe Hart?

Campbellblade

OK so I may be a little biased but still... (have mentioned him on a couple of other threads but thought I'd do a more in-depth report here)

George Long

longas.jpg

Nationality: English

Club: Sheffield United

Date of birth: 5 November 1993 (age 18)

Place of birth: Sheffield

Height: 6' 4"

Position: Goalkeeper

DB: 75

If he were to be reviewed today: 78

If he were to be reviewed at the end of the season: 80/82

George has always been tipped as a fantastic young keeper. He played extremely well in our youth cup run to the final (Vs Man Utd). In the last couple of seasons he has found his chances limited to only a couple of league appearances and some cup games, in those games he has looked very assured for a teenage keeper apart from in a 4-4 draw against Exeter.

This season has been a different story for Long. He was just pipped to the number 1 jersey by Mark Howard who has since been injured and Long has taken over from him, including the last 2games which were clean sheets. In all these performances Long has won the accolades of both set's of fans and has his own chant from our kop...

He dives to the left,

He dives to the riiiiiiight,

That boy George Long,

///// 10 birds a night

...I'm not sure how that last line came around, he must have the stamina of an outfield player!

Anyway I digress, he has been lauded as the next Joe Hart and has a host of premiership clubs taking notes on him including Manchester United, Arsenal and Aston Villa.

He has made it into this weeks sky League1 team of the week also.

An unbiased report...

http://goalkeepermagazine.com/tag/george-long-goalkeeper/

heres some clips...

go to 56secs

http://www.skysports.com/video/inline/0,,16478_8192304,00.html

go to 1min 39secs

http://www.skysports.com/video/inline/0,,23763_8185292,00.html

and...

got to 2min 35secs

http://www.skysports.com/video/inline/0,,16499_8165075,00.html

All this for a keeper at only age 18!!!

• 3 weeks later...

Re: George Long - The next Joe Hart?

update

George Long has continued his impressive start between the sticks since my last report.

We have played 4times keeping 2clean sheets and conceding 2. George will have been dissapointed not to save the goal Vs Bristol Rovers but was unlucky to concede a penalty in the last minute Vs MKDons. He has started coming more regularly for crosses and is clearly groing in confidence.

This has led him to be named League 1 player of the month which is not only rare for a goalkeeper to win but for an 18 year old playing his first full month of games is very impressive!

We (Sheffield United and Danny Wilson) clearly value George as a fantastic keeper as we have Craig Gordon training with us who will ONLY be signed if George get's injured (as our other two keepers are either inured or 16years old!)...

Re: George Long - The next Joe Hart?

update

George Long has continued his impressive start between the sticks since my last report.

We have played 4times keeping 2clean sheets and conceding 2. George will have been dissapointed not to save the goal Vs Bristol Rovers but was unlucky to concede a penalty in the last minute Vs MKDons. He has started coming more regularly for crosses and is clearly groing in confidence.

This has led him to be named League 1 player of the month which is not only rare for a goalkeeper to win but for an 18 year old playing his first full month of games is very impressive!

We (Sheffield United and Danny Wilson) clearly value George as a fantastic keeper as we have Craig Gordon training with us who will ONLY be signed if George get's injured (as our other two keepers are either inured or 16years old!)...

We gave you a fright for a minute or two, eh ;)

Good report. He's already been snapped up in my GW though so time to try my luck...