Sign in to follow this  
seth.lark

Official Fulham Thread

Re: Official Fulham Thread

Arsenal 3-3 Fulham

In a battle of two sides level on points, Fulham managed to clinch a draw at the Emirates Stadium. Truthfully, at an arena where the Cottagers held the Gunners, a point was always possible.

It did not seem that way, when poor defending at a corner allowed Olivier Giroud to open the scoring for the hosts. Arsenal then doubled the lead through Podolski.

It seemed like it would be one of those frustrating days away from home, but equally poor defending from the hosts allowed Berbatov to head in a corner. Arsenal were rocked and Kacaniklic was able to convert another header for the equalizer.

After the break, Arsenal soon regained control, but after Arteta brought down Ruiz, Fulham had a wonderful change to make it 3-2. And so they did, Berbatov converting a perfect penalty. Arsenal almost immediately hit back, Giroud scoring from another header to match Berbatov's brace.

Both sides turned on the heat in search of a winner, and it seemed like Fulham hearts would be broken after Reither handled Ashravin's cross in the penalty area. Up stepped Arteta, but fortunately for Fulham the evergreen goalkeeper Schwarzer was able to save.

The Good: Berbatov, as expected, carried the team today with his brace, including an ice cool penalty. Of course, Kacaniklic also shone and a goal against Arsenal can do nothing but good for him. Ruiz also looked lively on the day, creating our first real chance and winning the penalty.

Bad: Giroud got too much change out of our aerial defense, with the tall Brede Hangeland being nowhere near him each time. All three goals were a result of subpar defending, which marks the 2nd time (after Reading) we have failed to win after working so hard to claw back a deficit.

http://www.whoscored.com/Statistics

Wow, so according to the above website, we are the 20th best team in Europe according to performance, level with the likes of PSG and Arsenal. :D

We also take 14.5 shots, on average, each game. That puts us above PSG (11.6) and even Barcelona (14.2).

An area in which improvement is necessary is of course possession. Of course, this is to be expected as we have not sufficiently replaced the boss Moussa Dembele in central midfield.

Of course, these statistics are not 100% foolproof (Bilbao are above West Brom despite not having the best of seasons) Nevertheless, it feels good to be in the top 4 of England on this basis.

Care to share your thoughts on the Wenger sacking issue one more time?

I think it'll be interesting to see what the percentages are between the 'faithful' and other football fans so I've setup a couple of polls.

I'm ashamed to admit I'm sitting on the fence on this one, I did want him to stay but I cant deny that throughout history a new manager usually always has a positive effect. But this is the Arsene and will a change be right for the longterm? What do you think?

[NON-ARSENAL FANS ONLY]

http://forum.soccermanager.com/showthread.php?t=128644

To bring the Fulham discussion back, is everyone happy with Joll? I've liked all the fulham managers in recent years but Chris Coleman was the man for me, why did he get sacked? Did firing Tigana then Coleman create a sacking culture at your club?

Care to share your thoughts on the Wenger sacking issue one more time?

I think it'll be interesting to see what the percentages are between the 'faithful' and other football fans so I've setup a couple of polls.

I'm ashamed to admit I'm sitting on the fence on this one' date=' I did want him to stay but I cant deny that throughout history a new manager usually always has a positive effect. But this is the Arsene and will a change be right for the longterm? What do you think?

[NON-ARSENAL FANS ONLY']

http://forum.soccermanager.com/showthread.php?t=128644

To bring the Fulham discussion back, is everyone happy with Joll? I've liked all the fulham managers in recent years but Chris Coleman was the man for me, why did he get sacked? Did firing Tigana then Coleman create a sacking culture at your club?

Oh man, apologies for being 4 days late to respond! :o

Personally, Jol has been decent for us, and has revolutionized the Cottagers playing style. We now play a more attacking style and create more chances, as opposed to the defensive style Hodgson made famous.

Liked Coleman lots though and he laid down an awesome foundation during our early years in the Premier League. However, things were not going well for us in the 2007 season, with us flirting with relegation, so Coleman had to go. It was not like his replacement Lawrie Sanchez was any better.

Tigana did himself in with the signing of the infamous Steve Marlet, among other things, and Fayed is not known for sacking managers either. Not everyone did badly at this club, Mark Hughes left after one season to look for a club with more ambition :rolleyes: and Lawrie Sanchez did not work out. Otherwise, Jol should be in for the long haul as the team is starting to embrace his philosophy.

DENCH!

Finally, something to report on as Arsenal's Emmanuel Frimpong signs for Fulham on loan. I know what our next signing will be: PSY, to join the team of Internet sensations.

Well, maybe not PSY, but Yun-Suk Young, a man also linked with Manchester City and Cash Park Rangers will do fine.