Duncan

Portuguese Football

The happiest sporting day of my entire life!

After 50 years (exactly on this day - May 22nd), Braga wins the Portuguese Cup.

A tear slipped out of my eye and I ain't ashamed to admit it.

This is what a simple domestic cup win means to a fan of a club that barely wins antyhing.

I lost so many years during this match tho.

Like last year - but against Sporting - Braga had a 2 goal advantage and let Porto tie the match in added time.

The only difference is that, this year, our opponent wasn't 1 man down most of the game.

After Porto's 2nd goal and during the entire extra-time and pens, I had my hand pressed against my chest (the heart area), from the pain I was experiencing and fearing a repetition of last year's trauma.

Fortunately we won on pens.

I don't even need my club to win anything else in my lifetime.

This is how much I'm not used to winning silverware.

I don't think I'll forget the goalscorers of Braga's goals (even the penalties) and even Porto's 2 regular time goals for that matter, any time soon.

Braga played horribly tho - Marafona was a giant, but he didn't get much help from his teammates.

They defended too deep the entire game, but fortunately took advantage of 2 shocking Porto mistakes.

And now we have, once again, more Portuguese Cups than that scum, Vitória de Guimarães.  :D

I'm sure they're all happy campers right now.

The only Portuguese football fans not rooting for Braga, in this final, were Porto's and Guimarães's.

Great fight from Porto, I actually like them.

But we need this cup waaay more than them.

They deserved to win this final, but they'll win loads of trophies in the future.

Oh, just check André Silva's 2nd goal btw!

If Porto had won this match, he'd certainly have been MOTM.

I always said this kid would be the striker Portugal's been waiting for.

Not only the brace he got, but how much he fought for 120 minutes, shows how much potential he has.

Hopefully he doesn't have bad luck with injuries and stays humble.

Congrats on Braga getting some silverware Pedro, happy for you.

I know how much a simple cup would mean to someone supporting a smaller club.

Congrats on Braga getting some silverware Pedro, happy for you.

I know how much a simple cup would mean to someone supporting a smaller club.

Thank you so much, Jamie!

Yeah, those of us who support our hometown clubs, especially clubs that barely win anything, truly value these moments.

I'm sure Stoke will win an FA or League Cup one day and then I'll be thrilled for you, coz I know you'll value that trophy as much as I value this cup Braga just won.  :)

Congrats pedro, real nice to hear stories like that. The dedicated fans of these clubs really truly deserve it!

So this year we're both cup winners :P

Thanks Petros, I realised that yesterday!  :D

I was checking the 2015/2016 European domestic cup winners and then I saw that AEK had beaten that corrupt scum Olympiakos by 2-1.  B)

Literally the 1st thing that came to mind, after I saw the result, was: "alright, Petros must be chuffed to bits".  :)

Well done to you guys too!

You guys don't get directly into the group stage of the next Europa League tho, do you?  :(

I know the domestic cup winners from the first 12 countries in the UEFA ranking go directly into the EL group stage.

Last time I checked, Greece was 13th. :/

Thanks Petros, I realised that yesterday!  :D

I was checking the 2015/2016 European domestic cup winners and then I saw that AEK had beaten that corrupt scum Olympiakos by 2-1.  B)

Literally the 1st thing that came to mind, after I saw the result, was: "alright, Petros must be chuffed to bits".  :)

Well done to you guys too!

You guys don't get directly into the group stage of the next Europa League tho, do you?  :(

I know the domestic cup winners from the first 12 countries in the UEFA ranking go directly into the EL group stage.

Last time I checked, Greece was 13th. :/

Sadly no, we would if Sevilla won barcelona in the Cup too, but they couldn't.. I guess we're gonna have a difficult seed to get in since we haven't played in Europe the last years.

Yeah i made a post in the greek topic just below this one, read it haha :P 

And i also saw the result for the portugese cup that day and i thought about pedro in heaven, but i didn't know you hadn't lift a trophy for 50 years, which is even more exciting! The Europa final and general good european presence in EL and CL had me thinking you would have won some cups here and there :)

Congrats Pedro, great story! 

Thanks, matey!

Sadly no, we would if Sevilla won barcelona in the Cup too, but they couldn't.. I guess we're gonna have a difficult seed to get in since we haven't played in Europe the last years.

Yeah i made a post in the greek topic just below this one, read it haha :P 

And i also saw the result for the portugese cup that day and i thought about pedro in heaven, but i didn't know you hadn't lift a trophy for 50 years, which is even more exciting! The Europa final and general good european presence in EL and CL had me thinking you would have won some cups here and there :)

Ah, that sucks!

Maybe you can get an easy side.

For instance, if they make the playoff, Arouca and Rio Ave are rubbish.

I wouldn't say AEK would defo qualify for the group stage, but you'd have a good chance.

Especially Arouca, they're abysmal.

Ya thanks, I had never watched Braga win the cup, but it tasted that much sweeter after last season, which was quite traumatic tbh.

It was incomparably more painful losing that final to Sporting, the way we did, than watching Portugal lose the Euro final at home against Greece.

Idk why but it just was, for me, obviously.

Maybe I care a lot more about Braga than my NT, it's highly likely.

It's very rare for a club outside of the big 3 (Sporting, Porto and Benfica) to win a trophy.

1 - those 3 are much much richer than the rest;

2 - they have the refs by the balls;

The only clubs that won the title, apart fromt hose, were Boavista, due to a corrupt chairman, and Belenenses, in fascist dictatorship times, where clubs from Lisbon were massively favored over the rest.

I imagine, from what you've told me, that nowadays in Greece it's much worse, coz Olympiacos controls everything.

But idk how long that's lasted.

In Portugal, it's always been like this.

That's why, unless some sugardaddy takes over a club outside the big 3 or some corrupt and influential chairman arrives, Porto, Sporting and Benfica will be the only ones to win Portuguese league titles in the future.

That's why I'm so happy with a domestic cup.

I'm not used to winning silverware and I certainly don't see Braga being champion in my lifetime.