Duncan

Portuguese Football

Re: Portuguese Football

Djuricic' date=' Sulejmani and now Markovic, don't they all play the same position(s)? One of them would have to make do on less playing time, surely?

Also if anyone has seen Christoph Kramer play, is he any good?[/quote']

Sulejmani and Markovic will play as left/right wingers/forwards. While Salvio is the owner of the right side, i belive markovic will be his sub or rotate him when needed. Sulejmani would take on the left side as Ola John is not ready to take that position for his own and will relief Sulejmani when needed.

Djuricic will play as AM, as i think Gaitan will leave, if he doesn't they will rotate between the two. Quintero is being heavily linked to Benfica aswell as for Porto, so Djuricic could be rotating with Quintero if Gaitan indeed leaves.

CF's positions will be filled by Lima and Rodrigo, as i believe that Cardozo will leave too, if he doesn't, they will rotate between the three as he did at the first half of the season.

The CM we need is André Gomes, but he will need to step up, he has the potencial and he's young and have time to learn.

That's my thoughts on the signings for now.

Sulejmani and Markovic will play as left/right wingers/forwards. While Salvio is the owner of the right side' date=' i belive markovic will be his sub or rotate him when needed. Sulejmani would take on the left side as Ola John is not ready to take that position for his own and will relief Sulejmani when needed.

Djuricic will play as AM/CM, as i think Gaitan will leave, if he doesn't they will rotate between the two. Quintero is being heavily linked to Benfica aswell as for Porto, so Djuricic could be rotating with Quintero if Gaitan indeed leaves.

CF's positions will be filled by Lima and Rodrigo, as i believe that Cardozo will leave too, if he doesn't, they will rotate between the three as he did at the first half of the season.

That's my thoughts on the signings for now.[/quote']

Similar thoughts, although i hate when players are rotated i prefer a starter with youth backups.

Still need a CM to start or to even cover for Matic.

Anyone know if we are still looking at Centurion?

Similar thoughts' date=' although i hate when players are rotated i prefer a starter with youth backups.

Still need a CM to start or to even cover for Matic.

Anyone know if we are still looking at Centurion?[/color']

I edited back there, André Gomes is the right CM we need, a young portuguese, in-house trained player, he will improve a lot.

Centurion interest faded a lot, i don't think that will happen.

I edited back there' date=' André Gomes is the right CM we need, a young portuguese, in-house trained player, he will improve a lot.

Centurion interest faded a lot, i don't think that will happen.[/quote']

Yeah I've heard quite some praise for Andre Gomes lately.

Also do you think Andre Almeida is an improvement on Maxi or would you prefer buying another (established) right back?

its benifica's chance to thrash moutinholess and rodriguezless porto for the title next season! B)

Benfica could've trashed a Moutinho and Rodriguez Porto aswell as Chelsea, we only needed quality cover for CM/DM and CB spots, because Roderick doesn't have enough routine as a DM/CM and barely played this season and Jardel is a terrible defender. Thats what costed Benfica everything.

I edited back there' date=' André Gomes is the right CM we need, a young portuguese, in-house trained player, he will improve a lot.

Centurion interest faded a lot, i don't think that will happen.[/quote']

Nah he still needs experience, not a starter yet. We need a starter who is already established

:)

Benfica could've trashed a Moutinho and Rodriguez Porto aswell as Chelsea' date=' we only needed quality cover for CM/DM and CB spots, because Roderick doesn't have enough routine as a DM/CM and barely played this season and Jardel is a terrible defender. Thats what costed Benfica everything.[/quote']

Couldnt agree anymore

:)

Also do you think Andre Almeida is an improvement on Maxi or would you prefer buying another (established) right back?

An established on is needed' date=' Almeida is a great backup imo, and might be a starter in the future. But for me Maxi was terrible this year

:([/color']

André Almeida is better than Maxi on defensive duty, a hardworking, clean headed player, needs more opportunities, can fill RB as easy as LB spot. For me we should bank on Maxi and give Almeida the spot.

LOL, he will, he's a very average manager/couch, very arrogant, especially for someone who didn't won anything substantial in his career. But its not all his fault, all management in Benfica is quite bad, starting with the President who is one dumb and football ignorant person.

I don't know who will replace him, but i really hope for one good manager. And its kinda hard to predict who will manage Benfica for next season, but i think ir will be foreign, i saw somewhere that Miroslav Djukic is being considered, don't know if there is any truth to it, but with the amount of serbian players in the squad i wouldn't be surprised.

about 2hours ago ;)

Yes, i might not be the best Cardozo supporter, but the guy kinda surprised lately, i think he's having good performances and leaving everything he's got in the field. He should've punched JJ, and he would be the King in my eyes.

Cancelled tournament in South Africa

The soccer tournament scheduled for June in South Africa, and which should attend the team of Benfica was canceled due to the poor state of the pitch at the Free State Stadium in Bloemfontein. According to the site SportLive responsible Fulham - English team who had also been invited by the organization of the tournament - Monday visited the stadium, which staged the 2010 World Cup games, and understood that the pitch was not ready. Besides Benfica and Fulham, the tournament should be contested by two more teams.

Dammit I wanted to go and watch that :eek:

Tactical overview of the Europa League Final

Staring Lineup's

CHE_SLB_Line_ups.png

Jorge Jesus chose to leave the excellent Lima out of the starting line-up (replaced with Rodrigo), while his counterpart Rafa Benítez, without Eden Hazard, was forced to shuffle Ramires to the right flank and deliver midfield patrolling duties to club legend Frank Lampard. Otherwise, the starting elevens were pretty much as expected.

Benfica looked like a transformed team from the one that were beaten by FC Porto last Saturday at Estádio do Dragão. Instead of playing the rare expectant brand of football they put on display in Porto, they reverted to their preferred style and it showed - both in a good and a bad way. Indeed, the Eagles immediately started pressing the minute the referee blew the whistle for the first time.

Chelsea, in turn, seemed oddly overwhelmed and vulnerable down the middle, supposedly one of the areas of the pitch where they tend do excel. Faced with Benfica's high-tempo game and quick accelerations, the Londoners tried to slow the game down, even though Benfica were hardly willing to allow them to do it.

Matic and Perez dictating the first half

CHE_SLB_Enzo.png

Benfica's pushes through the middle

CHE_SLB_SLB_take_ons.png

Benfica dominated the initial proceedings, with Chelsea struggling to get the ball forward for most of the first period. However, Benítez's men had a clear blueprint laid out for them by their coach, with Benfica's left side the favourite area for Chelsea's attacks. Not only was Ramires, the Blues' main threat in their counter-attacking approach, playing on the right, but Fernando Torres was also instructed to drift to that wing as well.

Benfica's passing in the attacking thrid

CHE_SLB_SLB_attacking_3rd.png

Benfica were managing to work the high defensive line well, but Chelsea's close off-side calls should have provided some warning to their opponents. Instead, the Blues were allowed to score their goal with barely a touch of the ball between Petr Cech and Torres, right down the middle - the area in which Benfica most often look vulnerable. Torres' work must be praised, but the way the goal happened (poor defensive transition on Benfica's part through the centre) can hardly be news for anyone to follows up the team up close.

Moments before Benfica's goal, Jorge Jesus had replaced Rodrigo - not as lively throughout the second half - with Lima and Ola John for Melgarejo, forcing Gaitán to play at left-back. Chelsea immediately took their attacking down the right up a notch.

Conclusion

Even though Benfica players, coaches and fans alike will most likely feel gutted over the next couple of days, there is good reason for the club to look ahead with hope. The Eagles looked much more dangerous by remaining true to their style and the fans can hardly complain about the lack of an attacking bite this time around.

Chelsea's maturity and experience at this stage proved all too important, but Portuguese fans must take solace in the fact that their sides do not feel as far removed from English teams as they once did. As for Chelsea, they will probably part ways with a coach that provided them with some stability, a presence in next season's Champions League and yet another European trophy. Not bad for a stop-gap solution.

Uros Matic, Nemanja Matic's brother signed for Benfica. Here is our CM/AM Duncan, together with André Gomes. And if Jorge Jesus get sacked, Valladolid's coach Miroslav Djukic is one of the targets, that option seams more probable to me, as another Serbian signed for Benfica.

N. Matic, U. Matic, Sulejmani, Djuricic, Mitrovic, Markovic trained by Djukic.

I wouldn't mind if Partizan Striker Aleksandar Mitrovic, that is linked to Porto end up in Benfica too, now that Cardozo's transfer is more likely.

Uros Matic' date=' Nemanja Matic's brother signed for Benfica. Here is our CM/AM Duncan, together with André Gomes. And if Jorge Jesus get sacked, Valladolid's coach Miroslav Djukic is one of the targets, that option seams more probable to me, as another Serbian signed for Benfica.

N. Matic, U. Matic, Sulejmani, Djuricic, Mitrovic, Markovic trained by Djukic.

I wouldn't mind if Partizan Striker Aleksandar Mitrovic, that is linked to Porto end up in Benfica too, now that Cardozo's transfer is more likely.[/quote']

But is he any good? I think we need a proven CM still and those two Gomes and Uros as backup/rotation.

Anyways looks like Spurs have renewed their interest in Rodrigo, personally im not to fazed if he goes, as long as we get Markovic.