Sign in to follow this  
JebeDaiaS

Game Engine.

Re: How about making a realistic game engine ?

Wonder what match engine was used in the Southamption vs Man City game ' date=' i bet Roberto Mancini is moaning on the forum.[/quote']

Ahahahahah :D

------

I always thought the results from the match engine was decided on the formation. For my dream team squad, I always tied with Barca (full Barca squad with the addition of other quality players), but when it came to the SMFA competition, my team won with a different formation. I can't take the credit though, I don't have Gold Management.

Hey guys, just wanted to add to my frustration at the match engine as well. I've been playing the game for almost 3 years and wonders never cease to amaze me in some of the results this game world throws up. The latest is my loss to a bottom of the place side who hadn't won any of their last 6 games against my team who had won all of their 6 games. This team also comes to my home ground to defeat me. I don't know why but this sort of result always seems to happen to me, the undefeated against some lowly ranked team always resulting in the underdog winning. It's like the third round of the FA cup every other week! I understand tactics will be influential but against some teams it shouldn't matter. Barcelona will not change their style if they verse Real Madrid or Stoke. They will play the way that has gotten them results and will invariably succeed.

So these are the main problems that seem to occur too often.

1) Stupid results. Yes the odd upset occurs, but it doesn't happen up to 5 times a season. If I am in the top 4 and lose to bottom 4 teams but beat others around me then that is not realistic.

2) match ratings, stats mean absolutely nothing. Why do we lose to teams who have three shots on goal for three goals? I manage to put up 20+ and get nothing? Why do I concede three goals from three shots on goal and my goalkeeper gets a rating of 8? How can a team with 3 midfielders have more possession than a team with 5?

3) What is the point of player ratings in this game? Why do I have an average team rating of 92 if a team with an average rating of 88 can beat me? Why do I have a 93 striker who cant score from 20 attempts and a striker on the other side rated 89 can score a hattrick? Why does my 95 central defender marking said 89 forward, always seem to get beaten? Why do these ratings seem to mean nothing come game day?

I know that not everything is as simple as this and there can be surprise results. I'm just fed up with losing consistently to what SM deems to be an inferior side (table position, player ratings). I don't understand why I'll go and pay 100 mil with new talent only to see 85 rated Joe Bloggs run amok.

I understand SM is free and it is a good game for the depth it has. I just think something needs to be done as it is getting to the stage where I just cannot be bothered to compete. An element of realism needs to be introduced as know it is just completely random.

Riferimento: How about making a realistic game engine ?

i agree with everyone who has said that this match engine is rubbish.

i'm new of the game but i have gained some experience in my first month playing this game.

i have seen that this game could be potentially a good-game, but actually he isn't because of this match engine.

i think that soccer manager doesn't mean only checking for good players and make them yours...

i know also that's impossible to have a game looking like football manager, but at the same time i'm convinced that they could also make the game more realistic, because nowadays it seems you are throwing the dice...

Riferimento: Re: How about making a realistic game engine ?

People only complain when they lose.

it could be but everyone here with a kind of intelligence would say that this match engine sucks.

i'm not telling that i don't agree with you but it's also verified that match engine is rubbish....:P

but everybody uses the same engine so over a season it evens itself out' date=' i have 6 teams, the lowest position my teams are in is 2nd hence i don't complain about the game engine .[/quote']

The laziest & most unimaginative stereotype is to suggest that things,

"even themselves out"

They do not.

So try to at least show some critical analysis, rather than just trotting out a nonsensical cliche!

The real problem is with the display or interpretation part of the match engine that is introduced to the manager to reflect upon. What I mean is when the match engine calculates the final score, its way of providing this result is flawed. This is where the problem lies. The match stats, the commentary, cards, injuries, penalties, man of the match, match rating for each player (specially GKs) all seem like they are put randomly. There needs to be a much better interpretation by the engine to tell the managers what happened in the match so they can reflect of what went wrong (or right in case of a win).

A team with average rating 90 CAN lose to a team with average rating 80-85 even if they have much more shots and possession. Football would be a very boring sport if better teams always win. And YES this can happen frequently. Look at real life examples, how do you explain Real Madrid losing 5 games and drawing 4 so far in La Liga? Who has better average team rating than RM other than Barca? Look at Dortmund in the Bundesliga, how can they lose 4 games and draw 6? And if you want more extreme results, look at the cup competitions. How do you explain Celtic v Barca or Bradford v Arsenal or Real Madrid v Alcorcon a couple of season back. In SM terms, these teams are at least 20 points better in average rating. That's like a 90 team losing to a 70 team, and this happened in real life.

Calculating who wins and by how much goals each match is not flawed when you look at the overall picture. Don't just look at 1 of your teams, look at ALL teams. How many teams with lower averages beat teams with higher averages, and whether this percentage is abnormal or within reason. From my observations, it is within reason.

Now, a GK who concedes 2 goals from 2 shots cannot get a high rating. A team with 2 red cards in the first 30 mins should lose or draw. Penalties are not just another example of shots on goal, so they should not be randomly used in commentary. A player with 2 assists and 2 goals should be the MoM and not another one with just 1 goal but same rating. Match stats should make more sense according to tactics, so an attacking team should not have less shots than a defending team. All these examples (I'm sure you all have more of them) are related to the part of the match engine that is responsible for the interpretation or display of the calculated result.

I hope I'm making my point clear enough.

The laziest & most unimaginative stereotype is to suggest that things' date='

"even themselves out"

They do not.

So try to at least show some critical analysis, rather than just trotting out a nonsensical cliche![/quote']

every team uses the same game engine , so i still stand by what i said before.

when the shoe is on the other foot and your 85 rated team beats a 90 rated team i bet you dont complain then.

yeah mate you have reached the crucial point of the problem.

i agree with all you have just said.

that's the problem. not the fact you might lose against a poor side. that can happen ... you always don't want that to happen to you, but otherwise, as you perfectly said, football would be very boring. but the manager has to know what has gone wrong, and by the statistics you'll never find it....

@ PrestonDan: your last comment speaks for itself....

every team uses the same game engine ' date=' so i still stand by what i said before.

when the shoe is on the other foot and your 85 rated team beats a 90 rated team i bet you dont complain then.[/quote']

The funny thing is I haven't complained,

so again you have made a false assumption.

I've experienced wins with my low rated teams beating high rated teams

and defeats with my high rated teams losing to low rated teams.

The match engine definitely needs some improvements, but in a football simulator there will always be strange results no matter what.

There is nothing wrong with people suggesting that SM game developers could make a few improvements.

And if this isn't the place to have that debate and make those suggestions, then where is?

Discussion doesn't equate to whining.

This is a specific thread to discuss the game engine is it not?

My point on your previous comment is that it is a lazy, false cliche.

"Things even themselves out".

No they don't.

The funny thing is I haven't complained' date='

so again you have made a false assumption.

I've experienced wins with my low rated teams beating high rated teams

and defeats with my high rated teams losing to low rated teams.

The match engine definitely needs some improvements, but in a football simulator there will always be strange results no matter what.

There is nothing wrong with people suggesting that SM game developers could make a few improvements.

And if this isn't the place to have that debate and make those suggestions, then where is?

Discussion doesn't equate to whining.

This is a specific thread to discuss the game engine is it not?

My point on your previous comment is that it is a lazy, false cliche.

"Things even themselves out".

No they don't.[/quote']

OK then can you explain something to me, if every team uses the same game engine for every match how do the results not even themselves out by the end of the season ?

OK then can you explain something to me' date=' if every team uses the same game engine for every match how do the results not even themselves out by the end of the season ?[/quote']

It is an absolute nonsense.

You're not using any form of critical analysis.

There are several other factors involved when match results are decided.

What you're doing is basically saying, if i go to a shop and buy potatoes & 10 other people go to the same shop and buy potatoes, then those potatoes are going to taste exactly the same.

They don't.

They will have a different taste depending on how they were farmed, how they are cooked, what they are cooked with, what they are cooked in, etc.

There are far too many variables to just blindly believe that everything evens itself out.

And the same applies to SM

It is an absolute nonsense.

You're not using any form of critical analysis.

There are several other factors involved when match results are decided.

What you're doing is basically saying' date=' if i go to a shop and buy potatoes & 10 other people go to the same shop and buy potatoes, then those potatoes are going to taste exactly the same.

They don't.

They will have a different taste depending on how they were farmed, how they are cooked, what they are cooked with, what they are cooked in, etc.

There are far too many variables to just blindly believe that everything evens itself out.

And the same applies to SM[/quote']

Yes that is what i am saying , i am saying that sm is like buying potatoes. i should have said that in the first place, sorry.

:D

of course i know what variables are , my point is it's not like we use one match engine and the cpu uses another. All i know is my 6 teams won again this weekend so i'm not complaining about the match engine.

Had four games tonight. ENJOY!

1. Match

ME 3-0 OPPONENT

Posession: 58-42

Total shots: 8-9

Shots on target: 5-7

2. Match

ME 2-0 OPPONENT

Posession: 53-47

Total shots: 10-8

Shots on target: 6-7

3. Match

ME 1-0 OPPONENT

Posession: 60-40

Total shots: 6-14

Shots on target: 3-6

4. Match

ME 3-0 OPPONENT

Posession: 56-44

Total shots: 5-16

Shots on target: 3-10

Overall

ME 9-0 OPPONENTS

Av. Posession: 57-43

Total shots: 29-47

Shots on target: 19-30

NICE WORK mate but what are you trying to demonstrate with that? Do you want to convince us that we aren't able to play the game and that the match engine is working fine?

If you'd read the entire topic you will see that people posting here are discussing something more than just losing matches.

So do you believe that if you have won all tonight matches, the match engine is quite realistic and works fine???

Have you ever read statistics, marks and so on after your matches? And if you have done it, have you ever found strange things, or for you is important only to get your victories?

Re: Riferimento: How about making a realistic game engine ?

NICE WORK mate but what are you trying to demonstrate with that? Do you want to convince us that we aren't able to play the game and that the match engine is working fine?

If you'd read the entire topic you will see that people posting here are discussing something more than just losing matches.

So do you believe that if you have won all tonight matches' date=' the match engine is quite realistic and works fine???

Have you ever read statistics, marks and so on after your matches? And if you have done it, have you ever found strange things, or for you is important only to get your victories?[/quote']

no offence but what else is important besides victories ?

Okay but just for a moment could you see things from another point of view?

How could a keeper, that saved a penalty and made superb saves during the match, get only 6 as a mark? And how could the midfielder, that touched the ball with his hand in the penalty area causing the penalty and made nothing else to guarantee himself a positive mark, get a 7??? Are we serious????

So are you still convinced that winning games is the only thing that matters?? Good for you...but speaking for myself, i'm not happy of those strange things.

Re: Riferimento: How about making a realistic game engine ?

So do you believe that if you have won all tonight matches' date=' the match engine is quite realistic and works fine???

Have you ever read statistics, marks and so on after your matches? And if you have done it, have you ever found strange things, or for you is important only to get your victories?[/quote']

I just wanted to show that the match engine is more or less cr4p. :P

In every match tonight I had less shots on target then my opponent, but I won every game without conceding a single goal. I think the overall stats clearly show that there's something wrong. 19 shots on target and 9 goals for me and 30 s.o.t. with sero goals for my opponents. :o

And this isn't an individual case at all... I have the feeling that the team with more shots on target lose the match more often than winning it. This is not realistic in my opinion.

Sometimes I'm lucky (as today) and sometimes the other side is.

EDIT: The 'ENJOY' was irony ;)