Sign in to follow this  
brunopinto90

WWII and Post-War (Military History Fans)

Re: WWII and Post-War (Military History Fans)

got 5/10 wrong :o

ah well military history is not my forte although we (as loosely as possible) did play a part by sending having men fight on the side of the Brits, and supplied fuel to the effort. There are still American bases dotting the island :)

got 5/10 wrong :o

ah well military history is not my forte although we (as loosely as possible) did play a part by sending having men fight on the side of the Brits' date=' and supplied fuel to the effort. There are still American bases dotting the island :)[/quote']

Which island you from?

Which island you from?

Trinidad%20and%20Tobago_image057.jpg

It raged in many parts of the world' date=' and involved many of the superpowers of the time, including Britain, then the colonial rulers of Trinidad and Tobago.

Needing help to protect its overseas territories, Britain appealed to the United States for help, and US President Franklyn Delano Roosevelt agreed to give 50 vintage destroyers in exchange for 99-year base leases in Trinidad, and other Caribbean countries.

The correspondence securing the deal has been preserved.

Cordell Hull, then US Secretary of State, wrote the British government on September 2, 1940, stating; "The government of the United States will immediately transfer to His Majesty's government, 50 US Navy destroyers generally referred to as the 1,200-ton type."

An agreement was signed between the two countries.

It stated in part, "The US shall have the right to employ and use all utilities, services and facilities, roads, highways, bridges, and viaducts belonging to and controlled by the government of Trinidad and Tobago."

Following the signing of the agreement, construction of two military bases began—one at Cumuto, in East Trinidad, and the other at Chaguanas.

The base at Cumuto was to be called Waller Army Airfield, and the one in Chaguanas, Carlsen Army Airfield.

The agreement also called for a naval operating base, a naval air station, a blimp base and a radio station.

Waller Army Airfield at Cumuto was activated on September 1, 1941 with aircraft landing facilities connected to the United States Army Fort Read.

Cumuto then became an army reservation called "Fort Read, US Army Reservation".

Waller Field was named after US Army Air Force Major Alfred Waller, a distinguished World War I pilot who was killed in an air crash on December 1937.[/quote']http://www.trinidadexpress.com/news/100241664.html

Anyway I guess most countries were either on one side or the other-except those who hid under the flag of neutrality for their nation's interest.

Scored 10/10:p You guys need some read.

Thanks for replying.

You forgot to add "after the 15th try"..

Me too you bunch of dumbos :P

Not possible..:P;)

Hahaha. Less SM time i guess:p

yup..

Now was watching Red Tails the movie and I think it mirrors the the Tuskegee Airmen and got to thinking about airpower during the World war 2

What were the main reasons that Britain RAF were able to keep at bay the Luftwaffe -sure wasn't manpower or number of planes-and please for goodness sake don't say superior fighting spirit :P

Aside from the obvious fighting spirit (;)) i think you will find it was the network of radar stations positioned along the South coast..after early attacks proved futile ( we chewed the life out of the Stukas and ME110s they deployed ) they were ignored by the Hunz... :)

EDIT: plus the madman switched from attacking the Southern airfields to bombing London ( in response to a nighttime raid on Berlin) just when the RAF were dead on their feet..:)

Aside from the obvious fighting spirit (;)) i think you will find it was the network of radar stations positioned along the South coast..after early attacks proved futile ( we chewed the life out of the Stukas and ME110s they deployed ) they were ignored by the Hunz... :)

EDIT: plus the madman switched from attacking the Southern airfields to bombing London ( in response to a nighttime raid on Berlin) just when the RAF were dead on their feet..:)

Both sides had fighting spirit-for different reasons though..

But you were vastly outnumbered won't you?

VIAHsxnJYWk

battle06.jpg

http://www.airforce-magazine.com/MagazineArchive/Pages/2008/August%202008/0808battle.aspx

And weren't their factories in better shape than yours?

Or did the change in the plan of attack-targeting civilians allowing for the RAF to grow as a force. The Messerschmitt 109/110 was a superior machine wasnt it?

Both sides had fighting spirit-for different reasons though..

But you were vastly outnumbered won't you?

VIAHsxnJYWk

battle06.jpg

http://www.airforce-magazine.com/MagazineArchive/Pages/2008/August%202008/0808battle.aspx

And weren't their factories in better shape than yours?

Or did the change in the plan of attack-targeting civilians allowing for the RAF to grow as a force. The Messerschmitt 109/110 was a superior machine wasnt it?

Both out numbered and ill prepared' date=' hence why the Radar stations proved so valuable, they gave the RAF time to plan its responses to the German attacks. Hitlers change in strategy ( bombing London in response to a night raid by bomber command, itself a response to an earlier raid on London by the Luftwaffe) proved a God send and allowed Fighter command much needed time to re-equip and rest its exhausted pilots. Not sure about the factories but i'd say yes as the Germans had been preparing for war for years...and whilst the 109 outclassed the Hawker Hurricane it was on the whole no match for the Spitfire. As for teh 110 it proved to be a death trap and was withdrawn early in the battle and was relegated to a night fighter role later in the war. :)

[/color']

Both out numbered and ill prepared' date=' hence why the Radar stations proved so valuable, they gave the RAF time to plan its responses to the German attacks. Hitlers change in strategy ( bombing London in response to a night raid by bomber command, itself a response to an earlier raid on London by the Luftwaffe) proved a God send and allowed Fighter command much needed time to re-equip and rest its exhausted pilots. Not sure about the factories but i'd say yes as the Germans had been preparing for war for years...and whilst the 109 outclassed the Hawker Hurricane it was on the whole no match for the Spitfire. As for teh 110 it proved to be a death trap and was withdrawn early in the battle and was relegated to a night fighter role later in the war. :)

[/color']

So it was really an error on the part of the German hierarchy who instead of attacking the military installations chose to try to break the will of the British by bombing civilians..

It must have been grueling living in such an atmosphere, since at anytime the air raids would start.

I read somwhere that the Germans were actually training pilots on gliders early on to avoid breaching the conditions of the last war.

9/10. I was not sure which country declared war on the other, and I don't know why I picked the wrong answer. But it was not as exciting a way to enter the war as opposed to WWI (which in some ways is a much more interesting war than the better known later one) when Germany tried to coax Mexico into breaching her old territories lost previously. That, and Germany sinking the Lusitania among many other ships.

So it was really an error on the part of the German hierarchy who instead of attacking the military installations chose to try to break the will of the British by bombing civilians..

It must have been grueling living in such an atmosphere' date=' since at anytime the air raids would start.

I read somwhere that the Germans were actually training pilots on gliders early on to avoid breaching the conditions of the last war.[/quote']

Quite, and an error whose roots lay in the proud boast ( by Hitler / Goring) that no British bombs will fall on German soil..once they did, the response was inevitable. The mistake was compounded by the fact that despite its numbers the aircraft available to teh Luftwaffe were primarily designed to bomb military targets and not cities. Their comparatively low bomb loads and range made them completely unsuitable when compared to the destructive power of Bomber Commands Lancaster's and the USAF Flying fortress's. ..Not sure about the glider thing. :)

But it was not as exciting a way to enter the war as opposed to WWI (which in some ways is a much more interesting war than the better known later one) when Germany tried to coax Mexico into breaching her old territories lost previously. That' date=' and Germany sinking the Lusitania among many other ships.[/quote']

Good shout Dermo, i have always thought that the drift to War was perfectly summed up by the opening minutes of Sir Richard Attenboroughs '' oh what a lovely war''..a great film :)

PpmiFFduvGI

9/10. I was not sure which country declared war on the other' date=' and I don't know why I picked the wrong answer. But it was not as exciting a way to enter the war as opposed to WWI (which in some ways is a much more interesting war than the better known later one) when Germany tried to coax Mexico into breaching her old territories lost previously. That, and Germany sinking the Lusitania among many other ships.[/quote']

WW2 was the advent of new tactics and technology.

And wars have been started for less :(

But do you think that the world will see such a large scale involvement of countries on both sides of a war?

My thinking is that the battlefields have shifted to the attack of cyber resources/guerrilla warfare and the avoidance of full scale attacks.

Quite' date=' and an error whose roots lay in the proud boast ( by Hitler / Goring) that no British bombs will fall on German soil..once they did, the response was inevitable. The mistake was compounded by the fact that despite its numbers the aircraft available to teh Luftwaffe were primarily designed to bomb military targets and not cities. Their comparatively low bomb loads and range made them completely unsuitable when compared to the destructive power of Bomber Commands Lancaster's and the USAF Flying fortress's. ..Not sure about the glider thing. :) [/color']

[/b]

PpmiFFduvGI

How about the use of the unmanned rockets? Were they aimed at real damage of just to reduce morale?

And where was the Navy in all of this?

But do you think that the world will see such a large scale involvement of countries on both sides of a war?

My thinking is that the battlefields have shifted to the attack of cyber resources/guerrilla warfare and the avoidance of full scale attacks.

My understanding is that conventional thinking would agree with you' date=' but who knows? in the future increasingly natural resources may well tip the balance towards a full scale war.:([/color']

How about the use of the unmanned rockets? Were they aimed at real damage of just to reduce morale?

And where was the Navy in all of this?

Terror weapons that diverted resources with very little return' date=' mind you if the Nazis had pursued their development earlier in the war ( coupled with Atomic warheads) then i suspect we would all be walking around in leather shorts and sporting dreadful haircuts. :eek:

What Navy do you refer too?, Hitler had very faith in his surface fleet being able to better the Royal Navy and so ( with great effect) they concentrated their efforts in submarine warfare.[/color']

My understanding is that conventional thinking would agree with you' date=' but who knows? in the future increasingly natural resources may well tip the balance towards a full scale war.:([/color']

Terror weapons that diverted resources with very little return, mind you if the Nazis had pursued their development earlier in the war ( coupled with Atomic warheads) then i suspect we would all be walking around in leather shorts and sporting dreadful haircuts. :eek:

What Navy do you refer too?, Hitler had very faith in his surface fleet being able to better the Royal Navy and so ( with great effect) they concentrated their efforts in submarine warfare.

Well I guess it's the same idea the Hamas is using against Israel or the scud missiles of Saddam's Iraq...

The Royal Navy..not sure but their u-boats seemed effective at blockades and harrassing sea traffic

Well I guess it's the same idea the Hamas is using against Israel or the scud missiles of Saddam's Iraq...

The Royal Navy..not sure but their u-boats seemed effective at blockades and harrassing sea traffic

Besides guerrilla warfare and cyber warfare. A globar war would be similar to the ones before. Of course, tactics updated and evolute to cope with new weapons and technology, for example unmanned weapons and electronic warfare, so the use of none-allowed nukes. But as far i am concern, The new battles would be the same.

In WWII they have massive use of men to accomplish small missions but in the modern day there are devices and technologies so called force multipliers would make things easier and smaller. Thats my point of view.

Possibly one of the greatest generals known for strategy and ruthlessness

090528frontpic_article--124341846539548900.jpg

has died ...

He was a commander in the battle of Dien Bien Phu in 1954, the Vietnamese victory that marked the end of French colonial rule. This triumph, however, led to the partition of the country and ultimately the Vietnamese War between the Communist North and the US-backed South.

Giap was also credited with masterminding the final offensive against South Vietnam in 1975. After the Fall of Saigon and the US withdrawal from the conflict, Giap stayed on as defense minister in Vietnam.

http://www.dw.de/general-giap-vietnams-master-guerilla-dies-aged-102/a-17136242

"Guerilla war is the war of the broad masses of an economically backward country standing up against a powerfully equipped and well-trained army of aggression," Giap wrote in one of several memoirs. "Every inhabitant is a soldier, every village a fortress."

Possibly ranking Giap in the league of Kreizer and co.

Possibly one of the greatest generals known for strategy and ruthlessness

090528frontpic_article--124341846539548900.jpg

has died ...

http://www.dw.de/general-giap-vietnams-master-guerilla-dies-aged-102/a-17136242

"Guerilla war is the war of the broad masses of an economically backward country standing up against a powerfully equipped and well-trained army of aggression' date='" Giap wrote in one of several memoirs. "Every inhabitant is a soldier, every village a fortress."

Possibly ranking Giap in the league of Kreizer and co.[/quote']

I generally hate all military personal, but for some reason I have respect for this guy

:o

I generally hate all military personal' date=' but for some reason I have respect for this guy

:o[/color']

Maybe because he beat the "imperialist"...

Its pretty interesting though how he out thought the best militaries by drawing them away from the defensive positions (where force multiplication would work in their favor) to having them go after his supply lines in the jungle.

He however was ruthless -with lots of criticism of how he sacrificed his own men to achieve his objectives-however I guess when you are out gunned you need some sort of leveler.

As I said reminds me of Yakov who being under the cosh of the invincible German army turned that around at the battle of Minsk-Moscow Highway.and this was achieved against possibly one of the greatest armored commander of all time Guderian