Sign in to follow this  
brunopinto90

WWII and Post-War (Military History Fans)

Re: WWII and Post-War (Military History Fans)

The greatest challenge confronting all armed forces, but perhaps land forces most pertinently, has been insurgencies and people’s war. Armies have long been structured and conditioned to winning conventional interstate wars, yet in the post-Cold War world much military action has been in the field of counter insurgency warfare, peacekeeping and peace implementation, and the ongoing adaptation has proved painful and difficult. Nevertheless, armed forces have still struggled with this change and force structures still largely reflect the historical baggage carried by the services
http://www.ashgate.com/pdf/SamplePages/Ashgate_Research_Companion_to_Modern_Warfare_Intro.pdf

Can terrorism be classed as warfare? In that should the Geneva conventions regard to adversaries be honored on persons caught performing terrorist acts?

Can we determine who is an enemy combatant? and does the Rigsby Killer qualify as such?

How else do you get anyone to join the military? Fake honors and scholarships.

Nobody wants to be called a murdering mercenary so the only way governments can recruit new fresh-faced kids is to brainwash them. On some level we should feel bad for these kids getting manipulated into throwing their lives away while performing some amazing feats of bravery.

Shame really eh?

PS. I post too much...sorry

PS2. http://forum.soccermanager.com/showthread.php?t=165122

I want to join the military. Am i brainwashed?

I want to join the military. Am i brainwashed?

Depends on the country, but what I described is pretty accurate in America, for the most part recruitment is known to be very dishonest..

Depends on the country' date=' but what I described is pretty accurate in America, for the most part recruitment is known to be very dishonest..[/quote']

That i must agree, not to mention that the cream of the "cake" are people who chosen military over prison, school, correction houses, etc. When i see those guys speaking on documentaries, i just want to him so bad. They are there to stay out of jail, they are not volunteers per se. Dirty language, target indiscrimination, lack of condut, spoiled teenagers and list goes on.

I am from Portugal, we are more professional and we have more respect and we get more as well, including in Iraq and Afghanistan (more here). I am sorry for being harsh on your comment, i taught you were mentioning all soldiers and officers:o, but nowadays people talk nonsense about the military and calls them useless people.

That i must agree' date=' not to mention that the cream of the "cake" are people who chosen military over prison, school, correction houses, etc. When i see those guys speaking on documentaries, i just want to him so bad. They are there to stay out of jail, they are not volunteers per se. Dirty language, target indiscrimination, lack of condut, spoiled teenagers and list goes on.

I am from Portugal, we are more professional and we have more respect and we get more as well, including in Iraq and Afghanistan (more here). I am sorry for being harsh on your comment, i taught you were mentioning all soldiers and officers:o, but nowadays people talk nonsense about the military and calls them useless people.[/quote']

I've noticed a lot of lads here in America who join the military, who are very decent people. They've just been told that joining the military is a high honor, and then are deceived to lose their lives -- which is what I hate the most...

There are bad people but they are in the minority, leadership's military goals on the other hand aren't so great.

I've noticed a lot of lads here in America who join the military' date=' who are very decent people. They've just been told that joining the military is a high honor, and then are deceived to lose their lives -- which is what I hate the most...

There are bad people but they are in the minority, leadership's military goals on the other hand aren't so great.[/quote']

I want to join the military because i study military history, relations, tactics, strategies, i am fascinating for what surrounds war (of course i don´t like death of millions of people). I won´t join because i will die for my country, thats pathetic. Thats patriotism at extreme, that can be dangerous. Its indeed a high honor, its a different job. I have sentence for those lads in America.

"Be brave, not stupid".

I want to join the military because i study military history' date=' relations, tactics, strategies, i am fascinating for what surrounds war (of course i don´t like death of millions of people). I won´t join because i will die for my country, thats pathetic. Thats patriotism at extreme, that can be dangerous. Its indeed a high honor, its a different job. I have sentence for those lads in America.

[b']"Be brave, not stupid".[/b]

Would you ever become an academic or a military historian?

Would you ever become an academic or a military historian?

How can you become it? Degress at military history? That exists? I actually don´t know, gotta look trough universities back here. I don´t know, like i said i like history and studying it, but i also enjoy the military life. If you ask me if i like more to play a war game such as Call of Duty than watching a documentary or discussing history, i like the second one the most.

How can you become it? Degress at military history? That exists? I actually don´t know' date=' gotta look trough universities back here. I don´t know, like i said i like history and studying it, but i also enjoy the military life. If you ask me if i like more to play a war game such as Call of Duty than watching a documentary or discussing history, i like the second one the most.[/quote']

Everybody likes that kind of stuff better - thing is, studying is hard and most people don't want to do it - so if you're good at it, doors open for you