Sign in to follow this  
ray1981

The Official Darts Thread

This thread as I couldnt find any is for genuine lovers of all things great and good with the sport (yes it is a sport!) of Darts.

Couldn't find a thread and as a big fan of the game thought it was about time one was created.

World Championships have started and be nice if there were any other fans of the Arrers to discuss with

Re: The Official DARTS thread

Well the world's really came alive last night!!

Absolutely magnificent performance from Barney last night taking apart the young and talented Smith. A final average of 108 :eek:

Phenomenal, always enjoyable to see Barney getting back to himself, he beats himself up so much but I thin k the win at The Grand Slam of Darts has really got his confidence back, so good to see.

Gary Anderson was also brilliant in a top match against the Finnish Qualifier who pushed him all the way.

Hope they both win there next matches and then those two would meet in the last 16 and that would be extremely tasty!!

James Wade on tonight had so many problems with depression hope he has managed to get over his demons, the darts world needs a strong james Wade.

Top match last night saw qualifier John Bowles eliminate "jabba" Jamie Caven in a five set thriller.

For a qualifier to average over 93 over that timeframe is impressive and shows the quality in depth.

Mervyn King V Dean Winstanley the tie of the first round on now, Winstanley was the one all the seeds wanted to avoid.

No real shocks so far and the second round draw is starting to look tasty.

Some fabulous arrers in recent days highlights for me included:

Gary Anderson 4 John Bowles (Q) 3

What a match!! seven sets which had everything, drama, momentum changes. John Bowles was magnificent unfortunatly blew his chance with three shots for the match but wonderful avaerages and 26 yes 26 :eek: 180's in only seven sets magic stuff.

Progression for most of the big boys although Taylor and the current World Champions Adrian Lewis have looked off the pace.

How do you follow that....

Only a 9 darter!!

Take a bow Dean Winstanley magic stuff and only the 3rd player after Barney and Lewis to do the 9 darter at the World Championships in the PDC era. Went on to lose the match 4-2 to Vincent Van Der Voort but a moment he will never forget.

Currently the young dutch sensation Michael Van Gerwen is taking on Peter Wright in a grudge match following some defamotory remarks from Peter Wright about the Dutchman. Started in great fashion and the needle is there for everybody to see.

Also tonight the 3rd round starts with two cracking ties in Andy Hamilton (last years finalist) V Terry Jenkins and Taylor v the man who has beaten him on TV 2x in a row Scotland's Robert thornton.

Full third round draw as folows:

Phil Taylor (1) V Robert Thornton (16)

Andy Hamilton (8) V Terry Jenkins (9)

Simon Whitlock (5) V Dave Chisnall (12)

Gary Anderson (4) V Raymond Van Barneveld (13)

Adrian Lewis (2) V Kevin Painter (15)

Michael Van Gerwen/Peter Wright V Colin Lloyd (10)

Wes Newton (6) V Mark Walsh (21)

James Wade (3) V Vincent Van Der Voort (18)

Wow simply wow!!

The greatest darts match ever perhaps has just taken place in the Q/F

The current World Champ Adrian lewis v The young pretender Michael Van Gerwen.

For over nine sets these two genius's went toe to toe the coring was unbelievable and the bottle shown b both men was unbelievable in the highest pressure cooker with van Gerwen emerging as the winner 5-4 after a titanic struggle.

Lewis averaged 101 and Van Gerwen 103 over nine sets that is ridiculous great darts. Unbelievable lewis played like a true champion and Van Gerwen showed such bottle his scoring power is phenomenal if he could iron his checkouts out he could be almost unbeatable.

SEMI FINAL LINE UP

Michael Van Gerwen (7) V James Wade (3)

Phil Taylor (1) v Raymond Van Barneveld (13)

Two fantastic S/F and sees the rekindling of the greatest rivalry in darts with Taylor and Van Barneveld. barney is a rejuvineted charchter and can give Taylor a real run for his money, I expect Van Gerwen to beat Wade with relative ease.

Fantastic Darts this week- uinbelievable as kammy might say :)

Van Gerwen's 9 darter was just brilliant' date=' then to miss out on a 2nd 9-darter in the next leg was so unlucky, 17 perfect darts and the 18th a fraction from the double. Breathtaking stuff.[/quote']

Yip was great, 1 cm off

:P

Nice to see some company on the thread...welcome lads!!

What can you say about Van Gerwen absolutely majestic 17 successive darts in the treble/double if he had put that double twelve in I think the roof would have come off Ally Pally!!

he was not actually at his best tonight sounds silly about a bloke who averaged 99 but compared to what we saw against lewis he was a bit off tonight. Wade battled hard but simply did not have the scoring power to hold Van Gerwen back. Van Gerwen's scoring power is amazing just needs to tighten up on the doubles.

Taylor V Barney was a damp squip for six sets and then Barney seemed to relax and we really had a match on. As soon as he thought he lost it he relaxed and played some great darts and had Taylor rocking if he had won that tenth set I am convinced he would have won the match.

Dissapointed in Taylor at the end thought it looked to me like Barney was congratulating him and Taylor just showed an arrogance and dismissiveness that really gripes. No doubting what a player he is the greatest of all time but as a man I dont like him much.

Sets up for a great final the one most hardcore Darts fans would have wanted before the tournament began. I really hope Van Gerwen wins I just love watching him play the pace he plays at the brilliance of his scoring the excitement generated.

This could be a passing of the torch moment but Taylor will be determined not to let that happen. I just hope both play to there maximum and we could be in for a sensational final.

They met little more than a month ago at The Grand Slam Of Darts with Van Gerwen schooling Taylor on that occasion 10-5.

I think it is all going to come down to Van Gerwen and the doubles. I can see him outscoring Taylor but it is whether he has the bottle come the end of the Leg. taylor has been there and done it time and again can Van Gerwen control himself, his game when it really really matters!!

Roll on New Year's Day 8PM cant wait :)

Nice to see some company on the thread...welcome lads!!

What can you say about Van Gerwen absolutely majestic 17 successive darts in the treble/double if he had put that double twelve in I think the roof would have come off Ally Pally!!

he was not actually at his best tonight sounds silly about a bloke who averaged 99 but compared to what we saw against lewis he was a bit off tonight. Wade battled hard but simply did not have the scoring power to hold Van Gerwen back. Van Gerwen's scoring power is amazing just needs to tighten up on the doubles.

Taylor V Barney was a damp squip for six sets and then Barney seemed to relax and we really had a match on. As soon as he thought he lost it he relaxed and played some great darts and had Taylor rocking if he had won that tenth set I am convinced he would have won the match.

Dissapointed in Taylor at the end thought it looked to me like Barney was congratulating him and Taylor just showed an arrogance and dismissiveness that really gripes. No doubting what a player he is the greatest of all time but as a man I dont like him much.

Sets up for a great final the one most hardcore Darts fans would have wanted before the tournament began. I really hope Van Gerwen wins I just love watching him play the pace he plays at the brilliance of his scoring the excitement generated.

This could be a passing of the torch moment but Taylor will be determined not to let that happen. I just hope both play to there maximum and we could be in for a sensational final.

They met little more than a month ago at The Grand Slam Of Darts with Van Gerwen schooling Taylor on that occasion 10-5.

I think it is all going to come down to Van Gerwen and the doubles. I can see him outscoring Taylor but it is whether he has the bottle come the end of the Leg. taylor has been there and done it time and again can Van Gerwen control himself' date=' his game when it really really matters!!

Roll on New Year's Day 8PM cant wait :)[/quote']

Will there be a re run of the final? guna miss it today

:(

Van Gerwen is his own worst enemy. Some very poor decisions he's been making.

thing is Taylor missed doubles at crucial times' date=' which enabled MVG in. Then when Taylor upped his game in the 7th set to pull it back to 4-3 Van Gerwen's form noticeably nose dived, especially in his consistency to hit 100+[/color']