Sign in to follow this  
ray1981

The Official Darts Thread

Re: The Official DARTS thread

Well as much as I dont like the man you have to admit Taylor the Dart player is phenomenal.

As Van Gerwen started to wilter he upped his game and the amount of times when the set went to 2-2 that he would kick in with a 12darter to win the set was phenomenal and showed true champion spirit and class.

Van Gerwen's game fell apart after the 8th set, just seemed to lose belief and sadly was rolled over. Seemed to run out of steam and this will be a good learning experience for him. He is a definete world champion in waiting if he keeps his form up his scoring power is phenomenal and he has the right mentality to kick on.

Sixteen world titles for Taylor though and well deserved to average 104 over eleevn sets is little short of mind-boggling. Will always be the greatest ever but as I say i cant feel that great about it as I dont like him much as a person but as a dart player......truely phenomenal.

The line-up for the Premier league will be confirmed tomorrow the top four in the world rankings qualify by right, with four selected by wildcards.

Automatics are Taylor, Lewis, Wade, Anderson.

Three wildcards are bound to be Michael van Gerwen, Raymond Van Barneveld and Simon Whitlock IMO.

The last wildcard is more up for debate but I think they may just give it to Wes Newton.

Well as much as I dont like the man you have to admit Taylor the Dart player is phenomenal.

As Van Gerwen started to wilter he upped his game and the amount of times when the set went to 2-2 that he would kick in with a 12darter to win the set was phenomenal and showed true champion spirit and class.

Van Gerwen's game fell apart after the 8th set' date=' just seemed to lose belief and sadly was rolled over. Seemed to run out of steam and this will be a good learning experience for him. He is a definete world champion in waiting if he keeps his form up his scoring power is phenomenal and he has the right mentality to kick on.

Sixteen world titles for Taylor though and well deserved to average 104 over eleevn sets is little short of mind-boggling. Will always be the greatest ever but as I say i cant feel that great about it as I dont like him much as a person but as a dart player......truely phenomenal.

The line-up for the Premier league will be confirmed tomorrow the top four in the world rankings qualify by right, with four selected by wildcards.

Automatics are Taylor, Lewis, Wade, Anderson.

Three wildcards are bound to be Michael van Gerwen, Raymond Van Barneveld and Simon Whitlock IMO.

The last wildcard is more up for debate but I think they may just give it to Wes Newton.[/quote']

For me, the Premier League will be:

Definates:

Phil Taylor

Adrian Lewis

James Wade

Michael Van Gerwen

Wildcards:

Simon Whitlock

Raymond Van Barneveld

Gary Anderson

Andy Hamilton or Wes Newton- I'll go for Andy, as he has been in it before.

Who's people's tips for the BDO? I think Scott Waites will win.

For me' date=' the Premier League will be:

Definates:

Phil Taylor

Adrian Lewis

James Wade

Michael Van Gerwen

Wildcards:

Simon Whitlock

Raymond Van Barneveld

Gary Anderson

Who's people's tips for the BDO? I think Scott Waites will win.[/quote']

Well threw a Curveball for the Premier league :eek:

Been inreased to ten players with relegation now an issue, aint read the full details yet but will relay that later.

Phil Taylor

Adrian Lewis

James Wade

Gary Anderson

Simon Whitlock

Wes Newton

Michael Van Gerwen

Raymond Van Barneveld

Andy Hamilton

Robert Thornton-(leftfield that one)

Are the confirmed entrents.

Well threw a Curveball for the Premier league :eek:

Been inreased to ten players with relegation now an issue' date=' aint read the full details yet but will relay that later.

Phil Taylor

Adrian Lewis

James Wade

Gary Anderson

Simon Whitlock

Wes Newton

Michael Van Gerwen

Raymond Van Barneveld

Andy Hamilton

[b']Robert Thornton-(leftfield that one)[/b]

Are the confirmed entrents.

Thornton has had a great season- won the UK Open, which is probably why he is in the Premier League, like when Painter won the Players last season. Can't really debate any of the entrants.

10 entrants is a bit of a strange one. 4 groups of 4 could have made a more interesting competition, and perhaps players included could be the likes of Chizzy and Nicholson.

Thornton has had a great season- won the UK Open' date=' which is probably why he is in the Premier League, like when Painter won the Players last season. Can't really debate any of the entrants.

10 entrants is a bit of a strange one. 4 groups of 4 could have made a more interesting competition, and perhaps players included could be the likes of Chizzy and Nicholson.[/quote']

I know he had a good season with the UK Open win beating Taylor in the final and what not but it aint like he is a crowd favorite and has next to little personality and glam which is what the Premier league is about.

I personally think Chisnall was the best alternative and maybe like you say Nicholson as he always gets a crowd reaction wherever he goes.

I know he had a good season with the UK Open win beating Taylor in the final and what not but it aint like he is a crowd favorite and has next to little personality and glam which is what the Premier league is about.

I personally think Chisnall was the best alternative and maybe like you say Nicholson as he always gets a crowd reaction wherever he goes.

Yes but there had to be another Scotsman involved as we have the best crowds ;)

Crowd at Irish o2 are the loudest though in the Premier League! Makes me think, Brendan Dolan would have been another good inclusion should they have gone with my idea of 4 groups of 4.

Obviously I wouldn't know i'm a southern softie ;):P

Crowd at Irish o2 are the loudest though in the Premier League! Makes me think' date=' Brendan Dolan would have been another good inclusion should they have gone with my idea of 4 groups of 4.[/quote']

No way Dolan warrants an inclusion, not up to top level standard. Although if there were 16 entrants he may have had a squeak at being the last one in.

Only reason he might have even be spoken about is the fact he is the only Irish Player about who is even a little recognisable.

Mind you Gurney played well at the Worlds and probably should have gone through in that tight game he lost against one of the top seeds name escapes me now.

For me' date=' the Premier League will be:

Definates:

Phil Taylor

Adrian Lewis

James Wade

Michael Van Gerwen

Wildcards:

Simon Whitlock

Raymond Van Barneveld

Gary Anderson

Who's people's tips for the BDO? I think Scott Waites will win.[/quote']

I think martin "wolfie" adams has got a chance, or maybe tony o'shea.

does anyone think christian kist can defend his title?

Obviously I wouldn't know i'm a southern softie ;):P

No way Dolan warrants an inclusion' date=' not up to top level standard. Although if there were 16 entrants he may have had a squeak at being the last one in.

Only reason he might have even be spoken about is the fact he is the only Irish Player about who is even a little recognisable.

Mind you Gurney played well at the Worlds and probably should have gone through in that tight game he lost against one of the top seeds [b']name escapes me now[/b].

Chizzy in round 2. I was thinking purely from a venue point of view about Dolan. But he is a history maker after all.

I think martin "wolfie" adams has got a chance' date=' or maybe tony o'shea.

[b']does anyone think christian kist can defend his title[/b]?

Doubt it- not even a seed. Adams and O'Shea will be there or thereabouts but Adams doesn't seem to be in form and O'Shea has an unwanted record in major BDO finals. Waites looked good at Grand Slam, hence my tip.

Chizzy in round 2. I was thinking purely from a venue point of view about Dolan. But he is a history maker after all.

Doubt it- not even a seed. Adams and O'Shea will be there or thereabouts but Adams doesn't seem to be in form and O'Shea has an unwanted record in major BDO finals. Waites looked good at Grand Slam' date=' hence my tip.[/quote']

yeah i know what you mean but nobody saw kist win it last year, so maybe there will be an underdog win it this year. Who knows? we will have to see how it pans out!

yeah i know what you mean but nobody saw kist win it last year' date=' so maybe there will be an underdog win it this year. Who knows? we will have to see how it pans out![/quote']

If any of the unseeded players are to win it, Kist, Stone, Walton or Eccles are likely to be the men. I expect Adams, O' Shea, Waites, Harms and Bunting to be the main contenders though. Hope Dekker has a good tournament, as he was unlucky last year when he threw a great average but lost in round 1 to Kist. Bet Kist and some others go to the PDC after the tournament.

If any of the unseeded players are to win it' date=' Kist, Stone, Walton or Eccles are likely to be the men. I expect Adams, O' Shea, Waites, Harms and Bunting to be the main contenders though. Hope Dekker has a good tournament, as he was unlucky last year when he threw a great average but lost in round 1 to Kist. Bet Kist and some others go to the PDC after the tournament.[/quote']

Waites for me although Adams usually pulls something out for this tourney, O'Shea I would like to see win it thou

If any of the unseeded players are to win it' date=' Kist, Stone, Walton or Eccles are likely to be the men. I expect Adams, O' Shea, Waites, Harms and Bunting to be the main contenders though. Hope Dekker has a good tournament, as he was unlucky last year when he threw a great average but lost in round 1 to Kist. Bet Kist and some others go to the PDC after the tournament.[/quote']

Waites is by far and away the best player in the BDO environment and he really should win it at a canter, but he has faltered before so be interesting to see if he can shake off those demons.

I also think he is the only BDO player currently who might make any kind of impression on the PDC circuit. I can see him being a top 8-16 player if he made the switch. I dont really think any of the others are up to much in terms of true world-class quality.

The gulf in class between the PDC and BDO is quite staggering.

Waites is by far and away the best player in the BDO environment and he really should win it at a canter' date=' but he has faltered before so be interesting to see if he can shake off those demons.

[b']I also think he is the only BDO player currently who might make any kind of impression on the PDC circuit[/b]. I can see him being a top 8-16 player if he made the switch. I dont really think any of the others are up to much in terms of true world-class quality.

The gulf in class between the PDC and BDO is quite staggering.

Think that's a bit harsh- Waites done well at the Grand Slam, but so did fellow BDO players like Kist and Harms. And I'm sure that O'Shea and Adams would still be up there if they made the switch to the PDC. The PDC beats the BDO hands down, but these players at the top of the BDO would be more than competitive in the PDC.

Think that's a bit harsh- Waites done well at the Grand Slam' date=' but so did fellow BDO players like Kist and Harms. And I'm sure that O'Shea and Adams would still be up there if they made the switch to the PDC. The PDC beats the BDO hands down, but these players at the top of the BDO would be more than competitive in the PDC.[/quote']

Im sorry but in the PDC I cant see none of them bar Waites ever threatning the top sixteen on a regular basis.

Still it is hypothetical until any of them move, as for Kist not a hope quite possibly worst World Champion ever....he would be another Klassen if he moved over, had his place in the sun but nowhere near good enough to trouble the world's real elite on a consistant basis.

Adams wont make the switch because he has been a bottle job his whole career, consistantly refusing to take on the world's elite as shown by his complete refusal to play in the Grand Slam.

Where as O'Shea is capable of the odd good performance but he aint good enough to trouble the top top players.

You cant really call yourself a World Champion unless you play in the Premier Event where the best players play, unfortunatly I cant see this changing anytime in the near future.

That is not to take away from the achievements of people who have won the BDO event in recent years but the standard is so far removed from the true best players in the world that I cant buy it sadly :o

Im sorry but in the PDC I cant see none of them bar Waites ever threatning the top sixteen on a regular basis.

Still it is hypothetical until any of them move' date=' as for Kist not a hope quite possibly worst World Champion ever....he would be another Klassen if he moved over, had his place in the sun but nowhere near good enough to trouble the world's real elite on a consistant basis.

Adams wont make the switch because he has been a bottle job his whole career, consistantly refusing to take on the world's elite as shown by his complete refusal to play in the Grand Slam.

Where as O'Shea is capable of the odd good performance but he aint good enough to trouble the top top players.

You cant really call yourself a World Champion unless you play in the Premier Event where the best players play, unfortunatly I cant see this changing anytime in the near future.

That is not to take away from the achievements of people who have won the BDO event in recent years but the standard is so far removed from the true best players in the world that I cant buy it sadly :o[/quote']

There is no denying that the PDC is better than the BDO on everything in the game, but then it should be to be frank. Clue is in the name- the Professional Darts Corporation. The BDO very much is an amateur circuit, hence why the likes of Harms is an electrician by trade for instance.

Adams would never make the switch because he never plays in the Grand Slam because the Grand Slam belongs to the PDC, and he is BDO through and through. O'Shea is not a pressure player, hence he hasn't won a BDO major thus far. Kist might do well on the PDC and he has beaten Barney this year, but top 16 is a doubt.

The BDO does still produce good players for the PDC. In recent years, Winstanley and Chizzy have made the switch and look every bit a PDC top 16 player, and they didn't even triumph at the Lakeside.

Edit: this is appropriate considering what we've been saying: http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/darts/20903601

There is no denying that the PDC is better than the BDO on everything in the game' date=' but then it should be to be frank. Clue is in the name- the Professional Darts Corporation. The BDO very much is an amateur circuit, hence why the likes of Harms is an electrician by trade for instance.

Adams would never make the switch because he never plays in the Grand Slam because the Grand Slam belongs to the PDC, and he is BDO through and through. O'Shea is not a pressure player, hence he hasn't won a BDO major thus far. Kist might do well on the PDC and he has beaten Barney this year, but top 16 is a doubt.

The BDO does still produce good players for the PDC. In recent years, Winstanley and Chizzy have made the switch and look every bit a PDC top 16 player, and they didn't even triumph at the Lakeside.

Edit: this is appropriate considering what we've been saying: [url']http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/darts/20903601[/url]

Adams could play in the Grand Slam though with no implications on his position within the BDO, yet he continually refuses to there is no personal implication or for the BDO if he plays yet he continually says no, you can come to no other conclusion than he is scared. All other BDO players who qualify have all played......

Obviously the PDC is miles ahead but based on what I have seen (lets be honest we hardly see any BDO darts on TV nowdays) I really cant see anybody but Waites in the current crop who would really have a good chance in the PDC.

Chisnall has done well, Winstanley has done alright but neither has really had that push/big TV tourney to cement there place amongst the best in the PDC...yet. They have both had there moments (beating Taylor, 9-darter)

I think Chisnall has more chance because when on his "A" game he can score with the best of them, Winstanley is a solid player bit like a Painter perhaps but doubt he will ever win anything of significance.

Also a lot of players on the PDC circuit are not full-time pro's outside the top 32 a lot of them still have jobs it is a hard school to get to the top, although obviously if you can nowdays the rewards are very handsome :)

Adams could play in the Grand Slam though with no implications on his position within the BDO' date=' yet he continually refuses to there is no personal implication or for the BDO if he plays yet he continually says no, you can come to no other conclusion than he is scared. All other BDO players who qualify have all played......

Obviously the PDC is miles ahead but based on what I have seen [b'](lets be honest we hardly see any BDO darts on TV nowdays)[/b] I really cant see anybody but Waites in the current crop who would really have a good chance in the PDC.

Chisnall has done well, Winstanley has done alright but neither has really had that push/big TV tourney to cement there place amongst the best in the PDC...yet. They have both had there moments (beating Taylor, 9-darter)

I think Chisnall has more chance because when on his "A" game he can score with the best of them, Winstanley is a solid player bit like a Painter perhaps but doubt he will ever win anything of significance.

Also a lot of players on the PDC circuit are not full-time pro's outside the top 32 a lot of them still have jobs it is a hard school to get to the top, although obviously if you can nowdays the rewards are very handsome :)

I think that is one of the problems with the BDO- there are only 2 tournaments a year on TV (the Worlds and the World Masters) in the UK. One of which is now on ESPN and no longer on the BBC, and the other has limited viewing of live action the BBC. The BDO needs more tournaments on TV to bring the best out of their players. It won't be easy but it is needed if they are to compete with the PDC. Perhaps more Grand Slam tournaments (have a series of them) to add to awarness of their top stars. It also does not help with the BDO of having their World Masters clash with the World Grand Prix in the PDC, which is going to attract a far bigger TV audience.

As for Chizzy and Winstanley, I think they have done very well in the PDC. Both look like breaking into the PDC's top 16 very soon. Chizzy was unlucky in the Worlds to lose to Whitlock when he was sat on 90 and guarenteed a shot at bull but the Wizard took out a 152 and it took the stuffing out of him. Same could be said of Deano- took out a 9 darter and still lost to Vincent Van Der Voort (na na na na na na na na na...!)

Just seen the schedule for tommorow's BDO:

Saturday 5 January, from 13:00 GMT

Martin Atkins (Eng) (11) v Jason Cullen (Ire)

Robbie Green (Eng) (5) v Christian Kist (Ned)

Gary Robson (Eng) (10) v Garry Thompson (Eng)

Richie George (Eng) (15) v Dave Prins (Eng)

Darryl Fitton (16) v Benito van de Pas (Ned)

Alan Norris (Eng) (9) v Wayne Warren (Wal)

Tony O'Shea (Eng) (4) v John Walton (Eng)

I swear that the darts does not come on to BBC until 2.30? If so, defending champ Kist won't be live on BBC, which seems strange and not right.

God the standard of this darts is poor :o

Kist goes ut first round not surprised worst World Champion in history in my eyes, not even like Green had to play well.

Robson V Thompson on now again really poor fair, averages are well average :P

It's hard to watch 83-84 averages with what you are used to with the TV diet from the PDC.

Even more embaressing when you have to have a 10-15minute break in play because the scoreboard, dont work and the counters cant count, really shabby amateurish stuff it really is.

By the way we should never be subjected to that walk on by Robson ever again grown men of his age should not be "thrusting there pelvic muscles" to Modern day dance music (which we wont he just went out!)

God the standard of this darts is poor :o

Kist goes ut first round not surprised worst World Champion in history in my eyes' date=' not even like Green had to play well.

Robson V Thompson on now again really poor fair, averages are well average :P

It's hard to watch 83-84 averages with what you are used to with the TV diet from the PDC.

Even more embaressing when you have to have a 10-15minute break in play because the scoreboard, dont work and the counters cant count, really shabby amateurish stuff it really is.

By the way we should never be subjected to that walk on by Robson ever again grown men of his age should not be "thrusting there pelvic muscles" to Modern day dance music (which we wont he just went out!)[/quote']

I agree with everything said here ^, Now lets see what Richie is all about.