Sign in to follow this  
ray1981

The Official Darts Thread

Re: The Official DARTS thread

Players barely averaging in the mid 80s for the BDO. Poor standard really. Boring crowd too. More like a snooker crowd at times (bar fancy dress and booze) than a darts crowd- very quiet when a player is on a double. Needs to liven up.

He's a smug git with an attitude.

Amen to that, probably one of the worst matches I have ever seen at a World Championship, the standard of darts today was pathetic, hate to say it but was plain awful. :o

Lets hope as we go deeper in the tournament thigs start to get better I love the game but not sure I can stand watching much more of this rubbish so far.

Amen to that' date=' probably one of the worst matches I have ever seen at a World Championship, the standard of darts today was pathetic, hate to say it but was plain awful. :o

Lets hope as we go deeper in the tournament thigs start to get better I love the game but not sure I can stand watching much more of this rubbish so far.[/quote']

It is worth pointing out again that the BDO is very much the amateur circuit, whereas the PDC is professional. Where the PDC boys might do 6 hours of practice a day, the BDO boys might only do 1 or 2 after their regular job, so the standard is almost bound to be worse.

The PDC is like watching the Man U's, Man C's, Chelsea's, etc of world darts. The BDO is like watching Wigan and Norwich- there isn't anything wrong with that, but the standard isn't going to be as good as if watching the top players or teams.

It is worth pointing out again that the BDO is very much the amateur circuit' date=' whereas the PDC is professional. Where the PDC boys might do 6 hours of practice a day, the BDO boys might only do 1 or 2 after their regular job, so the standard is almost bound to be worse.

The PDC is like watching the Man U's, Man C's, Chelsea's, etc of world darts. The BDO is like watching Wigan and Norwich- there isn't anything wrong with that, but the standard isn't going to be as good as if watching the top players or teams.[/quote']

Yeah the BDO is like a feeder system to the PDC. Many of the players that have previously played in the BDO have now gone on to the PDC, there is more money, better competitions and it is more glamorous too.

However, if you look at scott waites when he won the grand slam, he was dominating every one he played, so it does show that pro's in the BDO can beat the pro's in the PDC

Good win for Jimmy Hendriks today at the BDO over Martin Adams. Give him credit- 18 years old and he beat a 3 time BDO world champ on his Lakeside debut, but Adams was less than 20% on his doubles and you are going to lose if you can't check out 80% of the time.

The BDO world champs should get more media attention now with Bobby George's son Richie playing Hendriks in the next round, so one of them is now guarenteed a spot in the 3rd round, and media attention is very much needed for the BDO.

Good win for Jimmy Hendriks today at the BDO over Martin Adams. Give him credit- 18 years old and he beat a 3 time BDO world champ on his Lakeside debut' date=' but Adams was less than 20% on his doubles and you are going to lose if you can't check out 80% of the time.

The BDO world champs should get more media attention now with Bobby George's son Richie playing Hendriks in the next round, so one of them is now guarenteed a spot in the 3rd round, and media attention is very much needed for the BDO.[/quote']

This is how i see Darts:

PDC = Barclays Premier League.

BDO = Aweful scrappy Championship football.

BDO = stepping stone to greater things in the PDC.

BDO is so aweful, the media don't bother.

I say let that Barry Hearn individual purchase the BDO and make it a second division to the PDC. Then we'd get the competition rolling.

Also the BDO lacks players with character, and players from foreign countries other then Die Netherlands.

Darts needs more asian and american players to rise. A variety of diversity is lacking in darts. Same sum up of snooker really.

;)B)

This is how i see Darts:

BDO is so aweful' date=' the media don't bother.

I say let that Barry Hearn individual purchase the BDO and make it a second division to the PDC. Then we'd get the competition rolling.

Also the BDO lacks players with character, and players from foreign countries other then Die Netherlands.

[b']Darts needs more asian and american players to rise. A variety of diversity is lacking in darts. Same sum up of snooker really.[/b];)B)

Disagree with that- PDC darts has enough talents where the top 16 could win any tournament on TV. It doesn't need more foreign characters for it to succeed. The BDO is rubbish yes, but until people recognise it for being an "amateur" tour, people will naturally slag it off.

The BDO and PDC would never combine, not in the near future anyhow. By doing so, the BDO would just be conceding to the PDC and show that they can't compete, which they are not going to want to do. The BDO makes enough money to survive anyway without the PDC's help. Perhaps it could have the PDC's prize money because some of the top BDO players do not travel as they could lose money.

Ultimaltely, one of the main reasons why darts won't be in the Olympics any time soon is the BDO and PDC split, as well as alcohol in the crowd, so I'd like the 2 to combine, but I can't see it happening, not yet anyway.

Good win for Jimmy Hendriks today at the BDO over Martin Adams. Give him credit- 18 years old and he beat a 3 time BDO world champ on his Lakeside debut' date=' but Adams was less than 20% on his doubles and you are going to lose if you can't check out 80% of the time.

The BDO world champs should get more media attention now with Bobby George's son Richie playing Hendriks in the next round, so one of them is now guarenteed a spot in the 3rd round, and media attention is very much needed for the BDO.[/quote']

Is there really darts player called Jimmy Hendriks? LOL

:P

This is how i see Darts:

BDO is so aweful' date=' the media don't bother.

[b']Darts needs more asian and american players to rise. A variety of diversity is lacking in darts. Same sum up of snooker really.[/b]

;)B)

The PDC have done a lot to generate overseas interest, expanding the tour to involve global participation with different events all around the globe.

Look at the World Championship automatic spots for overseas qualifiers etc...

Then two days after the final Taylor is off on a promotional leg in ABu Dhabi and acadamies are being set up around the globe.

If any players from these areas are good enough they will have opportunities it is just a matter of taking them :)

Disagree with that- PDC darts has enough talents where the top 16 could win any tournament on TV. It doesn't need more foreign characters for it to succeed. The BDO is rubbish yes' date=' but until people recognise it for being an "amateur" tour, people will naturally slag it off.

The BDO and PDC would never combine, not in the near future anyhow. By doing so, the BDO would just be conceding to the PDC and show that they can't compete, which they are not going to want to do. The BDO makes enough money to survive anyway without the PDC's help. Perhaps it could have the PDC's prize money because some of the top BDO players do not travel as they could lose money.

Ultimaltely, one of the main reasons why darts won't be in the Olympics any time soon is the BDO and PDC split, as well as alcohol in the crowd, so I'd like the 2 to combine, but I can't see it happening, not yet anyway.[/quote']

The BDO and PDC are unlikely to combine because of the history and the PDC being formed from the BDO over internal rows about money, sponsorship and the management of the BDO at the time of the split.

Also the BDO is mainly all amateur players so they will never play to the same standard as people that can practice 8 hours a day.

Waities for example is a carpenter I believe in his working life, most of them are county or super-league players

So we reach the semi-final stage

O'Shea V Harms

Waites V Richie George

The darts has improved as we have gone through the rounds the O'Shea game in the Q/F was a decent game as was the performance of Scott Waites last night in patches he was top-class as we all know he can be. Averags still not at a great level but definete improvement.

I hope we get an O'Shea V Waites final as I think those two are the most likely to provide a final of quality as both are capable of producing mid 90 averages.

Richie George really should be brushed aside easily his finishing on the doubles has been very impressive but his scoring is pretty poor, Waites is considerably better in this area and should get plenty of time on the doubles.

If O'Shea plays to the level he did in the QF he should also brush harms aside. Harms is a consistant player around the 89-90 mark but that is nothing special at all, Silverback should be able to repeat his victory over him last year.

So we reach the semi-final stage

O'Shea V Harms

Waites V Richie George

The darts has improved as we have gone through the rounds the O'Shea game in the Q/F was a decent game as was the performance of Scott Waites last night in patches he was top-class as we all know he can be. Averags still not at a great level but definete improvement.

I hope we get an O'Shea V Waites final as I think those two are the most likely to provide a final of quality as both are capable of producing mid 90 averages.

Richie George really should be brushed aside easily his finishing on the doubles has been very impressive but his scoring is pretty poor' date=' Waites is considerably better in this area and should get plenty of time on the doubles.

If O'Shea plays to the level he did in the QF he should also brush harms aside. Harms is a consistant player around the 89-90 mark but that is nothing special at all, Silverback should be able to repeat his victory over him last year.[/quote']

Richie George is over hyped by the media. Just because he is Bobby's son, everyone is talking him up. He hasn't scored brilliantly from what I've seen, as he keeps hitting 5 and 1. His doubles have been solid but not brilliant. He'll be lucky to win 2 sets against Waites unless he improves.

What semi is on the BBC? You'd think they would put George Jr on?

Richie George is over hyped by the media. Just because he is Bobby's son' date=' everyone is talking him up. He hasn't scored brilliantly from what I've seen, as he keeps hitting 5 and 1. His doubles have been solid but not brilliant. He'll be lucky to win 2 sets against Waites unless he improves.

What semi is on the BBC? You'd think they would put George Jr on?[/quote']

All that I know is that ESPN have coverage from 5PM.

No idea about BBC

Richie George is over hyped by the media. Just because he is Bobby's son' date=' everyone is talking him up. He hasn't scored brilliantly from what I've seen, as he keeps hitting 5 and 1. His doubles have been solid but not brilliant. [b']He'll be lucky to win 2 sets against Waites unless he improves.[/b]

He didn't improve and he lost 6-1, so I was right :D Waites played well. Looks every bit like he could compete well on the PDC if he made the switch.

Well I guess after today's performances you write off 'The Power' at your peril. Still he strives to better himself and for him the game is a science, the way he relies on the under stacker and the constant changing of his darts. He then reverts back to his old unicorn arrows and plays like he has this week.

Mr Taylor that should tell you something! Stop messing with your arrows and stick with what works. If it is not broken don't fix it,

Simply unplayable this week and brought MVG back down to earth today.

Well I guess after today's performances you write off 'The Power' at your peril. Still he strives to better himself and for him the game is a science' date=' the way he relies on the under stacker and the constant changing of his darts. He then reverts back to his old unicorn arrows and plays like he has this week.

Mr Taylor that should tell you something! Stop messing with your arrows and stick with what works. If it is not broken don't fix it,

Simply unplayable this week and brought MVG back down to earth today.[/size']

Taylor was quality yesterday particuarly in the final against the Hammer but lets bear in mind he shouldn't even have been there. Dolan had three darts to knock him out and was so unlucky wiring it on each occasion, Phil got lucky even the best have to get lucky sometimes.

Van Gerwen was not at his best yesterday but with that being his first defeat in 27matches competitively I wouldnt worry to much if I was him!! He has beaten phil on there previous three meetings including the Premier League final.

The semi's and final were very dissapointing in some respects with the Barney Hamilton game having drama but lacking quality whilst Taylor simply blew away Snakebite Peter Wright and the Hammer. The earlier stages were much better and had some cracking games Newton V Lewis sticking out in particular and the QF between Hamilton and Wade was brilliant stuff.

Not long to the World Matchplay which is my favourite event of the year, love the venue, the stage the format everything about it.

Taylor was quality yesterday particuarly in the final against the Hammer but lets bear in mind he shouldn't even have been there. Dolan had three darts to knock him out and was so unlucky wiring it on each occasion' date=' Phil got lucky even the best have to get lucky sometimes.

Van Gerwen was not at his best yesterday but with that being his first defeat in 27matches competitively I wouldnt worry to much if I was him!! He has beaten phil on there previous three meetings including the Premier League final.

The semi's and final were very dissapointing in some respects with the Barney Hamilton game having drama but lacking quality whilst Taylor simply blew away Snakebite Peter Wright and the Hammer. The earlier stages were much better and had some cracking games Newton V Lewis sticking out in particular and the QF between Hamilton and Wade was brilliant stuff.

Not long to the World Matchplay which is my favourite event of the year, love the venue, the stage the format everything about it.[/quote']

Yeah it is all done to bottle. If it had been anyone other than Taylor I have no doubt Dolan would have took out the double.

I agree MVG was not at his best but then with Taylor swapping and changing his darts in the Premier League, trying out his phase fives which never worked then reverting back to his phase fours with some success the same could be said regarding his form over recent months.

World Matchplay has been on all week the second biggest event in the darting calendar and it has not disappointed been fantastic Darts all week due to lack of time have not been able to post the results but some epic encounters this week led to the semi finals tonight and the best four players in the world made it through.

Michael Van Gerwen V Adrian Lewis

Phil Taylor V James Wade

The first semi final has just been played and I won't spoil it for anybody but if you missed it hit the record button the repeats later quite simply one of the greatest Darts matches of all time an absolute belter!!!

the speed, class and drama was sporting drama at its very best the sheer skill of these guys is amazing!!!

World Matchplay has been on all week the second biggest event in the darting calendar and it has not disappointed been fantastic Darts all week due to lack of time have not been able to post the results but some epic encounters this week led to the semi finals tonight and the best four players in the world made it through.

Michael Van Gerwen V Adrian Lewis

Phil Taylor V James Wade

The first semi final has just been played and I won't spoil it for anybody but if you missed it hit the record button the repeats later quite simply one of the greatest Darts matches of all time an absolute belter!!!

the speed' date=' class and drama was sporting drama at its very best the sheer skill of these guys is amazing!!![/quote']

I agree, two players who love playing each other due to there quick play helps both of there rhythm's.

I do not see Taylor v Wade being anywhere near as good as the first semi.

I agree' date=' two players who love playing each other due to there quick play helps both of there rhythm's.

I do not see Taylor v Wade being anywhere near as good as the first semi.[/font']

Looked like it was gunna be a massacre and then from nowhere Wade came back to make it 10-10 after a slight dip from Taylor, who regrouped and went on to win the match 17-12 to set up the final against Adrian lewis.

I say taylor had a slight dip ridiculous saying it though when his "slight dip" sees him still averaging 108 :eek::eek:

Expect Taylor to win the final his consistency should prove to much for Lewis, just hope the real Aidy shows up again and makes a real game of it. If Lewis plays to the level he has the past two rounds he has a chance but chances against Taylor are so few and far between he just has to take them.

The darts tonight is just epic.

Absolutely unbelievable final, got to feel sorry for Lewis to average 106 over 31 legs of darts is phenomenal and the amount of 180's was mind-blowing but at the age of 52 is Phil Taylor getting better???

111 average and it is just relentless scoring the amount of times he scores less than 100 on a throw you can Count on one hand, just unbelievable really nobody could have beaten him the way he played tonight, the fact Lewis got within 5 legs was a fabulous effort.

great to see Lewis back to the player we all thought he was going to be, when in full flow he is a joy to watch along with MVG my favourite players to watch by. Long long way.

A word for John Gwyne to Sky Sports commentator retiring been there since the PDC started and always been a favourite really knows how to call a game and has that wonderful quality of knowing when words are not needed and let the darts tell the story themselves.

Fabulous tournament the standard nowadays is mind-blowing if I can hit two single 20's in a throw I am fairly satisfied!!!