Sign in to follow this  
ray1981

The Official Darts Thread

Re: The Official DARTS thread

I know it is only the first round but how good did Taylor look in the Grand Slam of darts?

Won 5-0 with a 3 dart average I think of around 113, which is ominous for everyone else already. I do not think there will ever be another dart player, or sportsman for that matter that will sit at the top of there game for as long as he has.

If there is a better duel in world Darts than Michael Van Gerwen V Adrian Lewis then I am a Chnaman.

Another absolutely storming match between the pair tonight, absolutely wonderful standard and the ting is it was not even as good as there meeting at the Matchplay which seems ridiculous t say about two guys who average 98 and 106 over eighteen legs if darts!!

The sheer pace of the game, the way they feed off one another, the amount of 180's it is just sheer lunacy who good it is when these two meet. one session in there was 11,12,12,11,12 darts in a five leg period before the break.

MVG was slightly off on his scoring as compared to usual but under the barrage Lewis was giving him I am not sure anybody could have lived with him.

Just lve watching these two play Taylor is obviously the master but when these two play for me it is the best match in Darts.

Roll on the QF'S :)

Ted Hankey has got not just one screw loose but a whole blooming toolbox's worth of them loose :P

absolute nut job funny for the viewers but must be a nightmare if you are playing against him having to put up with all this, anyhow he should be out next leg.

Rather uninspiring night's Darts really two very one sided QF'S.

Great display by "The Thorn" Robert Thornton in the first S/F to see off the BDO'S World Champion Sott Waites 16-9.

Really decent match looked to be a game on when Waites pulled it back to 8-7 and just missing a double 12 for a nine darter but after the break Thornton really upped it a couple of gears to pull away. Finished with a 101 average which over 25 legs is no mean achievement and hopefully he can keep that level of performance for tonight's final.

Taylor V Lewis has started out pretty testily in the other S/F Taylor starting like. Train but Lewis pulling it back to keep it on throw in the early stages, Lewis is one of my three favourite players and if anybody has the game to possibly beat Taylor in the kinda relentless form he is in then it is Lewis, however over short a long distance you have to go for Taylor his consistency is staggering.

EDIT: 5-5 ten of the best legs of darts you will ever see, the standard is staggeringly, mesmerising, phenomenal.

C'mon Aidy!!!!

Easily the best display of darts I have ever seen. Not just are they both hitting big scores but there doubling has been suoerb as well. On current form the only player that can beat either of these two is these two.

How many bull shot outs is Taylor going to get? Simply superb.

Wow just Wow.

What a burst by Taylor, poor old Aidy he consistently averages 112 hits 18 180's and still can't get Taylor which tells you how phenomenal Taylor was. gets quite ridiculous when the only mistake Aidy is making is missing 160 checkouts, Taylor's checkouts and big finishes were phenomenal.

25 Legs of Darts 32 180's Taylor and Lewis both average 110.

Unbelievable match feel so sorry for Aidy how can you play that great and lose by seven legs, best match ever over that distance. Phenomenal.

It is magnificent and underlines the skill and class of these guys, Darts is such a great watch.

To use a Bobby George phrase "trebles for show doubles for dough" ) the doubles stat was the big difference with Phil hitting roughy one in two and Adrian hitting roughly one in three.

Makes a huge difference when they are matching each others scoring. Was a match worthy of any final.

To wrap things up Taylor beats Thornton 16-6 in the final.

Only a 98 average for Taylor but was never going to hit the heights of the game earlier today and basically played as well as he needed to against an opponent who didn't have the tools to really trouble him.

Great tournament players championship in a few weeks before the World Championships start in earnest mid December. :)

To wrap things up Taylor beats Thornton 16-6 in the final.

Only a 98 average for Taylor but was never going to hit the heights of the game earlier today and basically played as well as he needed to against an opponent who didn't have the tools to really trouble him.

Great tournament players championship in a few weeks before the World Championships start in earnest mid December. :)

Only got round to watching the final today after sky +ing it. He never really got out of first gear and never needed to. I imagine if he needed to he would have like he did against Lewis. Really looking forward to the World Champs' date=' a three horse race for me though Taylor will be the favourite after the way he has played the 5 months or so. [/font']

What a magnificent performance from Van Gerwen to take out Taylor in the Players Champinship final just now.

Due to being out a lot ain't seen to much if the Darts this week but managed to tune n for the final and what a great contest.

Taylor looking imperious to head into a 6-3 lead Bly for Van Gerwen to suddenly discover the form he was showing 12 months ago to romp to a 11-7 victory and win the title. He basically beat Taylor 8-1 from that point onwards which was absolutely phenomenal. Taylor was so rattled and shows even the best can't stem the tide when it starts going against you, Van Gerwen in full flow and playing at 100% is awesome to watch, so fast and like a bit of a tidal wave you just can't withstand.

Sets it up wonderfully for the World Champinship, if Taylor, Lewis and Van Gerwen show up in top form we should see some awesome darts. I will have to pick Taylor because over such a long race he is the most consistent in the long matches at the world's but should be fascinating to watch!!

Love to see anybody bar Taylor win it TBH :)

What a magnificent performance from Van Gerwen to take out Taylor in the Players Champinship final just now.

Due to being out a lot ain't seen to much if the Darts this week but managed to tune n for the final and what a great contest.

Taylor looking imperious to head into a 6-3 lead Bly for Van Gerwen to suddenly discover the form he was showing 12 months ago to romp to a 11-7 victory and win the title. He basically beat Taylor 8-1 from that point onwards which was absolutely phenomenal. Taylor was so rattled and shows even the best can't stem the tide when it starts going against you' date=' Van Gerwen in full flow and playing at 100% is awesome to watch, so fast and like a bit of a tidal wave you just can't withstand.

Sets it up wonderfully for the World Champinship, if Taylor, Lewis and Van Gerwen show up in top form we should see some awesome darts. I will have to pick Taylor because over such a long race he is the most consistent in the long matches at the world's but should be fascinating to watch!!

Love to see anybody bar Taylor win it TBH :)[/quote']

Never saw any of the darts this week unfortunately, however a MVG in fine fettle bodes well for the World Champs and is tough to choose what will ultimately be a three horse race in my opinion.

Never saw any of the darts this week unfortunately' date=' however a MVG in fine fettle bodes well for the World Champs and is tough to choose what will ultimately be a three horse race in my opinion.[/font']

Agreed cant really see anybody bar those three having a genuine shot at winning it. Some other players like Anderson, Pipe, Chisnall, Hamilton etc can run hit for a spell but with the length if the matches are not as consistent,y good as the others they can sustain it for much longer periods hence why they are elevated above the others.

1st round draw out today obviously at this stage no really big matches to wet the appetite but the Huybrechts brothers drawing each other should be good and a couple of others catches the eye, not long to go now :)

WOWSERS!!!

The world championship has just taken off!!!

Second round starts tonight Barne edges through against Jabba Jamie Caven in a cracking match both playing brilliantly but Barney showed great skill to come through with nigh on a 100 average.

How do you follow that, well like this.......

PHIL TAYLOR IS OUT!!!!

unbelievable beaten by the world youth champ (and Scouser ;)) Michael Smith 4-3. I dunno what was wrong with Taylor completely out of sorts, shaking his head, showing petulance, complete dare I say lack if belief. I really cannot believe what I just saw.

Credit t Smith for showing the bottle to come through, this tournament is wide open, never ever seen Taylor like that.

Tonight's second round results:

Andy Hamilton 1 Richie Burnett 4

he 5th seed is gone as the top half of the draw continues to be opened up to all comers against the 1995 Lakeside World Champion. Great to see Burnett back and firing scoring as always exceptional and tightened up n the doubles which have always been his problem.

Robert Thornton 4 Beau Anderson 0

no problems for the 9th seed who must be one of e favourites to get to the final from the top half, been there seen it and done well even winning major TV tournaments before. 98 average not bad for a guy clearly not very well!!

Kim Hybrechts 3 Ian White 4

fantastic match both men averaging just under 100 Kim Who is massively touted coming back from 3-0 down to level up only for White to keep his bottle and send the 12th seed packing. fabulous match really good top quality stuff.

Yesterday's second round results;

Gary Anderson 4 Brendon Dolan 1

Kevin Painter 4 Paul Nicholson 0

Simon Whitlock 4 jarko Komula 0

Wes Newton 4 John Part 0

Mark Webster 4 John Henderson 3

MVG 4 kevin Mcdine 1

Did not see any of the afternoon session but went with the formbook, evening session Newton payed well but the game between Webster and Hendo was a great match up and down for both players, Hendo missing match darts and a really close encounter, nice to see Webby getting some form back.

MVG was again not at his fluent best average of 97 but way to much for Mcdine, bit of niggle on stage as well with mcdine doing some impersinations of MVG which really was not to wise as it just seemed to motivate MVG even further.

Plays Gary Anderson in the next round which promises to be a great match if both hit there natural scoring form.

Never seen anything lke that before. Smith had 2 darts in treble 20 and his 3rd dart clipped both and took them out of the board. 120 points on the floor!

It was an amazing match Peter Wright was absolutely brilliant to a average 106 over seven sets was phenomenal and he must be a real contender now, the guy is on fire. Smith did not do a lot wrong averaging over 100 but the curse of beating Taylor continues.

Barney also exited to Mark Webster very Dissapointing just did not look to have the stomach for the fight come the last but great resurgence from Webster after a couple of really poor years.

QF Draw taking shape

Wright V Newton

Whitlock V White

MVG/Anderson V Webster

Wade/Peterson V Lewis/King

What a game between MVG and Gary Anderson. Brilliant stuff.

Yep superb match, you thought MVG was gone, playing very mediocre for five sets and then when his back is totally against the wall he just produces in the way we know he can. Anderson played really well and probably should have won and will be kicking himself but great bottle by MVG.

Wins for Wadey who destroyed Peterson 4-0 after surviving match darts in e previous two rounds we finally saw the real Wadey and he played great 100 average to boot.

Lewis was worrying he got past King 4-1 but a really poor match by his standards with a rather low 90 average, if he is to win his third world title he needs to step it up big time, a performance like that next round against Wade and he will be out.

QF Draw as follows:

Peter Wright V Wes Newton

Simon Whitlock V Ian White

MVG V Mak Webster

Adrian Lewis V James Wade

Not feeling that game' date=' to be honest. It's like watching Pinky and Perky whilst waiting for Laurel and Hardy.

Don't ask me why i said that.[/quote']I know what you mean, MVG vs Lewis is going to be a much better match. Whitlock has been terrible so far.

Wright is a great showman though