Game World News Feed - updated

Afternoon all,

We have improved the Game World News Feed to allow you to make comments on news items, post your own club stories and write your own stories/news items. We hope this will improve the news feed by allowing a place for more interactions between mangers in the Game Worlds.

Managers can report comments and block users to stop unwanted activity.

You get a Notification if someone comments on your post or comments on something you previously commented on. You will also receive a Notification if your player, club, national association etc get tagged in a post / comment.

To tag a manager, player, club or national association then simply use the @ and then start typing. For example @roo... and then a popup appears with a list of results (similar to twitter).

Due to the revamped News Feed the Newspaper facility is being withdrawn.

We expect this new aspect to evolve over time subject to feedback so please let us have constructive feedback on how you are finding it. :)

Thanks

Eric

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Riferimento: Game World News Feed - updated

Afternoon all, We have improved the Game World News Feed to allow you to make comments on news items, post your own club stories and write your own stories/news items. We hope this will improve the

Re: Game World News Feed - updated A couple of suggestions that could be enhancements.... 1. Think about the priority of how messages should appear in the news feed, if there is a news item with lot

Re: Game World News Feed - updated

Thanks for this Tonyba, we've already tweaked it so non managed club transfers dont appear so should just be the commentable ones from your GW.

Also - no function for pictures just yet, but it's a good idea and one we'll keep considering as this development unfolds.

If this is going to work' date=' just get rid of the daily transfers in the setup. Its not as useful or interesting than interaction in the setup.

Also, you cannot add pictures can you? Something that I liked in the newspaper format.[/quote']

Sorry, I dont like it. I done reviews for one of the custom worlds and this just wont be possible anymore as it would take up too much space. Whatever happened to 'If it aint broke, dont fix it'.

I done a review which took best part of 2 hours last night. Log on today and it has gone. Thanks for that.

With the new design i think you are wasting too much vertical space.

The "Mini Schedule, League Tables, Club Transfers Box works well but i now have to scroll down to far to find it. That three column box has dropped off the front page completely. It gets lost now :(

The News feed icons are way to large. Could you make it take up half the vertical space? And not have so much, what looks like double spacing, unlike the League table which is neat and what looks like single spacing.

Thanks

Maybe a simple solution would be to put the News feed as a drop down menu. Set on closed with a clear button to easily enlarge it. This way you would keep the lower "Mini Schedule, League Tables, Club Transfers Boxes" visible on the front page. It would look less spammy, bare in mind when players start using the 'chat function it will get even more complicated to read and spammy looking.

I think that would be better space management.

not really liking the look of it at the moment, and i did use the "old" function alot like basically using a "spoiler box" so it makes it all neat and tidy on the news feed

also i can't see myself getting used to the layout, why is everything so big now, just to incorporate a very basic box picture

why not just kill two birds with one stone and remove the news feed from the overview page

and have it under a different tag on the menu bar(similar to transfer list etc) and just keep your clubs business on the overview screen

wasn't really an issue when the feed was small but now its taking over more of the screen than your actual club info does

overall looks very messy and very rushed hopefully it'll get tweaked over time.

also gotta say it looks like whoever put it together wasn't using an accurate

scale ratio either

It could be a nice feature but the way it is implemented right now is not the best in my opinion. An excellent feature of the previous display was that you could see a lot of information at a glance. Now there's way too much room between the messages, forcing you to scroll down a lot.

Why not go back to the old display (or something similar compact) and add one general comment section for the news feed? A comment section for every news item takes too much space. And the same counts for the pictures in both the news feed and club messages. They are too large and thereby take in too much space.

So to summarize my proposal: make the Game World News Feed compact again and add one single comment section for the news feed.

edit: Another option is to give users the choice to comment or not. If they want to comment the news feed section will expand, if they don't want to comment the news feed section will stay compact.

edit2: You should really find a way to discuss new changes upfront with your costumers. I don't feel like that you're doing that at the moment. At least propose new features to some experienced users so they discuss the best way of implementating it with you. Even better would be to set up a SM beta testing site allowing a few selected users to try out new features so they can give feedback.

The idea in principle is a good one, the more involved a player is in a game world the more likely they are to stay, which means more managed clubs...

But some of the layout decisions involved in this change are quite poor, as others have said there is now too much wasted space and it makes the news feed much harder to read and the icons make the club news much harder to read too.

Here's a suggestion, use a small comment symbol like the BBC do (http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/) and put a number after it to show how many comments there are..a player then clicks on the symbol and a light box opens up (that's the technical term for a box that opens and floats on screen - just like when you click on a players name) or if you're using an older browser you are redirected to another page - this would give you plenty of space for a comments box and plenty of space to show all comments and would give you space to add in the ability to insert pictures etc later as suggested by tonyba. Changing to this layout would allow each news item to use up only one line on screen making it much easier to read...

Secondly, drop the symbols - maybe replace them with a drop down filter like the one added to the news feed to select news from a league??

A couple of suggestions that could be enhancements....

1. Think about the priority of how messages should appear in the news feed, if there is a news item with lots of comments you don't want it to disappear the next time a batch of transfers complete.

2. Have a prompt to ask a player to comment on stories relevant to their club when they enter the club page, this could be a recently completed transfer, result or title win. It could also be a response to a comment made by a rival manager - Maybe have an option to turn this feature off in case some managers don't like it...

3. Match build up messages/banter. It would be great if before a game (or after the last round has completed) a manager is prompted to add a comment about up coming important matches, these could be used more frequently when its an important match i.e. against rivals, in the build up to a cup final or title/relegation decider.

4. Impact on squad/player moral. If there was a way of recording the type of comment made (via a drop down box or radio buttons etc) a manager could demonstrate if a comment was positive, negative, a complaint, speculation on title chances etc and they could have an impact on player concerns... i.e. Mess's concerns might increase if the manager played down the chances of winning the title etc but if a manager made comments that he had confidence in his squad and they would win the title and didn't the chairman might get unhappy..

5. Media speculation. If a manager wants to short list a player they could have the option of posting it in the news and adding a comment about i.e select from a drop down that they would be first choice or an important squad player etc - depending on that players current situation it could impact their concerns so if a player wasn't playing regularly at their current club but would be first choice (based on rating) at the club that is interested this might increase his concerns unless his current manager responded to the speculation in the right way..lots of interest from lots of managers could force a players concerns up quite quickly if they aren't playing - this shouldn't impact youth players unless they are good enough to be in the first team.

6. Rewards for regular contributors. Give regular contributors SM credits.

I like it and think it is a very good way of communication with other managers in a GW. I also think it would deter people from making unrealistic (cheating) transfers out there, cuz they know they will get hammered.

But it looks ugly. Or not ugly but weirdly large. It needs to be much smaller (may be less than half the current size) or have the ability to collapse/expand the sections and the individual posts.

Overall, I think that it's a positive introduction to improve communication.

The idea in principle is a good one' date=' the more involved a player is in a game world the more likely they are to stay, which means more managed clubs...

But some of the layout decisions involved in this change are quite poor, as others have said there is now too much wasted space and it makes the news feed much harder to read and the icons make the club news much harder to read too.

Here's a suggestion, use a small comment symbol like the BBC do ([url']http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/[/url]) and put a number after it to show how many comments there are..a player then clicks on the symbol and a light box opens up (that's the technical term for a box that opens and floats on screen - just like when you click on a players name) or if you're using an older browser you are redirected to another page - this would give you plenty of space for a comments box and plenty of space to show all comments and would give you space to add in the ability to insert pictures etc later as suggested by tonyba. Changing to this layout would allow each news item to use up only one line on screen making it much easier to read...

Secondly, drop the symbols - maybe replace them with a drop down filter like the one added to the news feed to select news from a league??

I agree with that. It'd look better. As for the icons, if they really want to keep them I had a look at resizing them in Photoshop and they all look fine 40x40 (they're currently 60x60). They're smaller but not too small, and it would probably annoy people a bit less.

I do think they definitely need to have that symbol saying the number of comments as the "write a comment" bit takes up just too much space and can be best served in that lightbox.

Combining both the Club Messages and News Feed via tabs like someone else suggested would save a lot of space as well.

Guys,

Just a quick note to say thanks for all the constructive ideas posted with a view to improving this new feature.

My original post introducing this change mentioned that this is something that will evolve over time and we will review all ideas suggested and consider them all in the development process.

Please keep them coming. We are listening.

Eric

The idea in principle is a good one' date=' the more involved a player is in a game world the more likely they are to stay, which means more managed clubs...

[snipped to save space']

I strongly agree with almost everything in this post, with the exception that I'm indifferent about the idea. I noticed these coming through while doing translations last week, and while I don't think it's a bad idea, I don't see much good coming out of it either.

On the design: the icons look like they come from a 1990s DOS game and they just lead to so much space taken up - just get rid of them. I use a medium-sized laptop: the club news module occupies the entire screen space yet shows me just seven lines of text, while the game world news feed takes up more than one screen to show me exactly six events, none of which I care about.

I've had a little tidy of this thread so that the constructive feedback (whether positive or negative) as well as your ideas don't get lost. So i'll apologise if your post has been deleted :o

As Eric has already pointed out, we are listening to your constructive feedback (whether positive or negative) as well as your ideas, so please keep your posts coming as the new News Feed will only improve and evolve with your help :)

The tag option wont work on me :mad:
SM chat doesn't work since this update either. My chat box never has anyone displayed as online

Hi Anri and Stenners. Are you both still experiencing these problems? If you are could you please report your problems as a Bug so that we can look into them. Thanks :)