Sign in to follow this  
SM Dev (Eric)

Game World News Feed - updated

Re: Game World News Feed - updated

Hi all' date='

A quick update - following your feedback we have resized the news feed development.

Let us know what you think.

Eric[/quote']

Much better, Eric - easier on the eye, thank you...

Edit: How do you actually 'add comment' in the News Feed. Am I being a bit thick or should there be a 'send' button once your comment is typed?

2nd Edit: Yes, I was being thick - d'oh. Wonderful thing that ENTER key...

Just hit return once you have typed your comments, should then post it to the wall

QUOTE=ruts66;2362840]

Edit: How do you actually 'add comment' in the News Feed. Am I being a bit thick or should there be a 'send' button once your comment is typed?

Just hit return once you have typed your comments' date=' should then post it to the wall

QUOTE=ruts66;2362840']

Please add send button as im not able to add a comment or write an article on my cell.Cant even go into comment box to be able to write.I use SM on the go so it will be a huge dissapointment . And im not even able to scroll newsfeed or so.

Personally I loathe the news feed.

I am in a league with a mixture of friends and random people, none of us have ever felt the need to "tweet" out something or comment on a transfer. Especially as the majority of transfers are done between AI teams.

Its now a large unsightly thing that you have to scroll past to look up the useful information such as fixtures and the league table.

SoccerManager is not a social media site, and should not try to be like one. SoccerManager is a great game, and enjoyed by many, but what I can see from browsing the forums a lot of people are going off it. I got hooked on it about a year ago when things were a lot more simple, and a lot more fun. Nowadays myself and my friends are growing disillusioned. One has even left. All of us are gold managers and all check our teams daily, and spend time looking for risers and trying to outbid eachother on newly added players etc.

THE FEED

The feed which really contributes nothing to the SM experience. My feed is predominately full of AI transfers between eachother, managers leaving and joining and the odd mildly interesting buy by another team. I really fail to see why anyone would need to comment on this?

Why do we need to announce things as if on facebook? The newspaper feature is barely used in most game worlds, why would a social media style feed be required?

Most managers never respond anyway, in my league 50% of the managers never reply to messages, newspaper articles etc, they just exist in their own world. I've been in other worlds, and its no different.

We've added the button in now so the issue on some mobiles should hopefully be resolved.

Eric

Please add send button as im not able to add a comment or write an article on my cell.Cant even go into comment box to be able to write.I use SM on the go so it will be a huge dissapointment . And im not even able to scroll newsfeed or so.

We've added the button in now so the issue on some mobiles should hopefully be resolved.

Eric

Im not able to open comment dialog box to be able to write.

It shows a dialog box and is written "Write your comment" but actually when i click there,its unclickable.Not able to to go into dialog box where i can write.And other is news feed and messages scroll problem.

If all solved it will be a great thing and SM community will grow faster.Will be fun

The resizing is an improvement on what was initially released, but they still take up more space than necessary and look inferior to what was there before the changes.

What exactly is the thinking behind having those icons? I mentioned above that they look like they're ripped out of a 1990s DOS game. But most importantly of all, they're not clearly distinguishable at a glance. They all have the same murky background and the details don't stand out. An icon is supposed to be a visual aid for the user: these are just incidental illustrations.

The icons that you previously had for the news feed were far better: they were small, but were clearly distinguishable - if a manager resigned, it jumped out at you, because the "manager" icon was so much different from the "transfer" icon.

With these changes, you've somehow managed to make larger icons that are less visible.

The resizing is an improvement on what was initially released' date=' but they still take up more space than necessary and look inferior to what was there before the changes.

What exactly is the thinking behind having those icons? I mentioned above that they look like they're ripped out of a 1990s DOS game. But most importantly of all, they're not clearly distinguishable at a glance. They all have the same murky background and the details don't stand out. An icon is supposed to be a visual aid for the user: these are just incidental illustrations.

The icons that you previously had for the news feed were far better: they were small, but were clearly distinguishable - if a manager resigned, it jumped out at you, because the "manager" icon was so much different from the "transfer" icon.

With these changes, you've somehow managed to make larger icons that are less visible.[/quote']

I agree, the new icons don't look good and aren't any useful, whereas the old icons were more clear to what they "represented". The old style of the icons was overall much better and suitable for the news feed.

Personally I loathe the news feed.

I am in a league with a mixture of friends and random people' date=' none of us have ever felt the need to "tweet" out something or comment on a transfer. Especially as the majority of transfers are done between AI teams.

Its now a large unsightly thing that you have to scroll past to look up the useful information such as fixtures and the league table.

[b']SoccerManager is not a social media site, and should not try to be like one. [/b]SoccerManager is a great game, and enjoyed by many, but what I can see from browsing the forums a lot of people are going off it. I got hooked on it about a year ago when things were a lot more simple, and a lot more fun. Nowadays myself and my friends are growing disillusioned. One has even left. All of us are gold managers and all check our teams daily, and spend time looking for risers and trying to outbid eachother on newly added players etc.

THE FEED

The feed which really contributes nothing to the SM experience. My feed is predominately full of AI transfers between eachother, managers leaving and joining and the odd mildly interesting buy by another team. I really fail to see why anyone would need to comment on this?

Why do we need to announce things as if on facebook? The newspaper feature is barely used in most game worlds, why would a social media style feed be required?

Most managers never respond anyway, in my league 50% of the managers never reply to messages, newspaper articles etc, they just exist in their own world. I've been in other worlds, and its no different.

I fully agree with this, this path which leads to transform the game into something like a social media site isn't good for the game. What we need is changes that would actually IMPROVE THE GAME (match engine etc).

I'm starting to get used to the strange new layout...but they got rid of the newspaper!

For a couple of my game worlds, me and friends relied on this to make the whole experience more interesting and competitive, no idea why they saw the need to scrap it. Now it is a pain to write anything because of the character limit, we are using the posting thing for short updates and messages but otherwise it seems pretty pointless.

I'm starting to get used to the strange new layout...but they got rid of the newspaper!

For a couple of my game worlds' date=' me and friends relied on this to make the whole experience more interesting and competitive, no idea why they saw the need to scrap it. Now it is a pain to write anything because of the character limit, we are using the posting thing for short updates and messages but otherwise it seems pretty pointless.[/quote']

Also very disappointed that the newspaper has gone it was the best thing about my favourite game world.

Riferimento: Game World News Feed - updated

Afternoon all' date='

We have improved the Game World News Feed to allow you to make comments on news items, post your own club stories and write your own stories/news items. We hope this will improve the news feed by allowing a place for more interactions between mangers in the Game Worlds.

Managers can report comments and block users to stop unwanted activity.

You get a Notification if someone comments on your post or comments on something you previously commented on. You will also receive a Notification if your player, club, national association etc get tagged in a post / comment.

To tag a manager, player, club or national association then simply use the @ and then start typing. For example @roo... and then a popup appears with a list of results (similar to twitter).

Due to the revamped News Feed the Newspaper facility is being withdrawn.

We expect this new aspect to evolve over time subject to feedback so please let us have constructive feedback on how you are finding it. :)

Thanks

Eric[/quote']

Good afternoon: this message is to know to you that after your SM changes (player positions, data review), 5 managers left my Game World yet. Soccer Manager will disappear... Reflect before new deteriorations

Re: Riferimento: Game World News Feed - updated

Good afternoon: this message is to know to you that after your SM changes (player positions' date=' data review), 5 managers left my Game World yet. Soccer Manager will disappear... Reflect before new deteriorations[/quote']

5?....have you seen the current numbers..

Managers: 644,923 Online: 10,748 Managed Clubs: 1,197,148

One thing I would like to see is thee News Feed moved to the bottom of the page, for me the league table ad mini schedule were two of the most important things on the club overview page.

Looking better than yesterday, still not keen on it although that may be as I was used to the old one.

One thing I would like to see is thee News Feed moved to the bottom of the page' date=' for me the league table ad mini schedule were two of the most important things on the club overview page.

Looking better than yesterday, still not keen on it although that may be as I was used to the old one.[/quote']

yes i agree with you, i mentioned it yesterday, it is just a bit too 'busy' with the club messages right above it....if you have a bunch of messages and the news feed it kind of blends into one and the amount of times i am looking for the 'x' to delete a message which is actually a story :rolleyes:

the size has made it look a bit tidier although personally i think a hide tag should be used

you know when you log in its hidden then you can choose to view if you want, that way your basically appealing to both sides of the fence, the ones who like the facebook theme and those who don't

(quick mock up of what i mean , with either a simple "open" or display" to well open the newsfeed)boltonwanderersfootball.png

I suggest that you could separate the messages day by day, as it was before and as is it now in the club's messages. It will be more easier to read the messages and also it will be more easier to go back and look for something, when we are searching for something specific. It will also look better and not that messy as it is now.

And you should really try and reduse the big empty spaces between the messages and improve the big, not user-friendly icons.

This change makes the News Feed a much bigger focal point so I think more is needed than just the endless dross of being told a manager has joined and then another message saying he has quit a minute later, or that a nobody has moved clubs for 200k etc,

I would like to see upcoming fixtures and results automatically posted there for comments. Automatic comments on milestones (100th game in charge, 100th goal for a player etc, 10 games undefeated). Also like ukfootballfan's idea of prompting messages from managers after games, even if it was just a preset response. The option to choose what news we see might be welcome.

Am just wondering how SM are going to handle the inevitable unwanted comments; i.e. abusive comments etc? Can't see any "report" function. Even if none of the ideas on this thread are implemented this looks likely to become an issue.

EDIT: Seen the report function now, wondering what happens to these reports now.

I think it is a nice function.

I don't quite like the logos at the club messages, it makes it look chunky. Still acceptable for the newsfeed part.

Btw, where's the newspaper section now? I feel there should be a section where people can browse and write articles easily without restrictions of URL and limited characters. Maybe another tab under the league table for all the articles, and it pops up when clicked like it used to be.

For short messages & communication use the newsfeed... for longer football articles of a few paragraphs, a newspaper section with pictures is better. Also helps promote better gameworld experience.

I like that we can now make comments, but the Newsfeed/Club messages section is still very large, and dominates the page. I would prefer the League tables/schedule/transfers to be on top.

The Newsfeed is a good addition, but there's lots of unnecessary stuff in there and it would be more pleasing on the eye if you were to remove the icons completely.

A few people have already mentioned they'd rather not hear about x player being sold for 10k... Could we not have it so the Default setting shows nothing? and then you can use the drop down menus to select what stuff you want to read?

Thanks for listening to our feedback!