Sign in to follow this  
Danny_Williams

World Championship 1

Re: World Champ 1

when was that second friendly fixture arranged?!...I didn't see it in fixtures list :confused: ..anyway I'm glad both games went on as scheduled...and we have a surprise final...Auxerre win 5-1 against the favorites Sao Paulo :eek: ....In other fixture of the night Juventus lost to Celtic by a 1-3 scoreline...

Wow! I can't believe I beat Sao Paulo 5-1! I thought I'd done well to get a draw in the first game, and was hoping to sneak a win, but never expected that. Bring on Celtic, I need revenge for the 6-0 hammering they gave me at home.

Alvin, what's the score with the final? Who gets to play at home, or is it a 2-leg thing?

As for when the game was arranged, it was very last minute. I don't think Rarther had been online or checked his messages all week so I PM'd him yesterday, and he replied to my PM & accepted the friendly at 6.30pm, so just in the nick of time.

As already mentioned in the rules, host for the final would be based on

better goal difference in semis> goals for in semis> points in group stages

so that would mean that your Auxerre side would have the home status...

I'm still waiting to hear what you guys have to say about the final..my initial idea was to follow real life cups with a single leg final ...but then we'll have to use some drastic tie-breakers like average player ratings for the final...(which I'm not a big fan of ;) )

How about doing it the same way as we did semis...?? a single leg event and a second leg if and only if there is a draw in the first leg...so if the home team can't force things, they hand visitors the home advantage in the next leg.

we can use away goal rule > average player ratings in final (both legs put together) > Goal difference in semis > Goals for in semis > points in group stages

what do you guys think? anyway logan you can challenge Celtic

I reckon the final should be done like the semis, 1 leg and a replay with away goals etc. as you stated above. It's just as shame SM won't let you arrange a friendly with penalties as an option.

I've challenged Celtic already, but after losing twice to them in the group stage I'm not that hopeful of a victory.

Celtic got off to a nice start against Auxerre scoring twice in the first 6 minutes. They managed to come back and got a draw though. I've already made the challenge for next week's rematch.

2886587419_ccbf506eca_o.jpg

YOUTH CUP

The first edition of WC 1 youth cup kicked off on June 27th. After exactly 3 months, we have the final game. Celtic have the slightest advantage as they take with them two valuable away goals from the first leg. These teams have met each other 3 times in the cup already with Celtic beating Auxerre convincingly in the group fixtures and last week's game ending in a draw. But Auxerre have been peaking at the right time. After sending home the favourites Sao Paulo , they've shown they cannot be taken lightly. Their young striker Kazim Kazim leads the list of goal scorer!

2886587423_babfcdb176_o.jpg

Thought I might manage a win in the replay but it wasn't to be. Congrats Teje.

I have to say I've really enjoyed this youth cup, it's been something different, and I hope you organise one again for next season Alvin. Well done for putting this together and keeping track of everything.

Thanks logan. I think it would be better to have the youth cup the season after next, (if we can get enough teams ). This season is almost over and to keep up the interest for the cup, it would be best to have a waiting period between two editions of the cup and the reigning champions can keep the tag for longer. Well played logan. You took that side a long way! Thanks to everyone for taking part in this cup! ;)

Thanks logan. I think it would be better to have the youth cup the season after next' date=' (if we can get enough teams ). This season is almost over and to keep up the interest for the cup, it would be best to have a waiting period between two editions of the cup and the reigning champions can keep the tag for longer. Well played logan. You took that side a long way! Thanks to everyone for taking part in this cup! ;)[/quote']

Yeah, that makes sense to have a break for a season.

yeah well done! Happy to say my team went out to the eventual winners.

Have to agree that it's a good idea to have a break season and would like to suggest that we keep floating ideas for changes to the next Youth Tournament.

Let me kick off with this one: Eligible youth players should NOT play in the regular league either before or during the Youth Tournament. This would ensure that wonderkids like Messi, Aquero, etc won't artificially distort the competition. Also, playing first team squad members exploits the loophole that players in friendly matches don't suffer fatigue. After all, in real life, a player wouldn't turn out for the youth team on a Friday and the seniors the next day.

yeah well done! Happy to say my team went out to the eventual winners.

Have to agree that it's a good idea to have a break season and would like to suggest that we keep floating ideas for changes to the next Youth Tournament.

Let me kick off with this one: Eligible youth players should NOT play in the regular league either before or during the Youth Tournament. This would ensure that wonderkids like Messi' date=' Aquero, etc won't artificially distort the competition. Also, playing first team squad members exploits the loophole that players in friendly matches don't suffer fatigue. After all, in real life, a player wouldn't turn out for the youth team on a Friday and the seniors the next day.[/quote']

While that sounds a good idea in terms of ruling out the Messi's etc, it would mean a lot of teams wouldn't or couldn't enter the torunament. About half of my youth team consisted of players who play regularly for me, and without them I wouldn't have been able to put out a team.

Thanks for the suggestion Jimmy. keep them coming. I agree with you that players like Messi and Aguero should probably be kept away from youth cups to make it competitive. But it would be tough to go through every single player's profile to see if he has played with the first team this season. How about a rating ceiling instead?

I've finally sent SM a ticket to see if they'd let us have a second tactics page for friendlies. That would avoid a lot of rescheduling and would let more people start youth cups in their setups!

A rating ceiling would probably be a more practical option, although it should definitely not be higher than 90. Also it would be good if all managers were required to nominate their squad before the tournament commenced. If we restricted squads to 16 players (reasonable considering there are no injuries or suspensions in friendlys) everyone would have a clearer idea what they were facing at the outset.

After the midweek game, Teb's Olympiacos and city continue to stay level on points, though the Greek side are ahead on goal difference.

"Our squad lacks the depth for playoffs and Gouffran and Cigarini have already been ruled out for the rest of the season. So for us the best chance lies in winning a spot outright! We are almost certain to make atleast the playoffs. We would like to win the next game. If we don't, then we'll be in a place where we'll have to decide if we should rest few players before the playoffs. That would be a tough choice to make and we would perhaps go for an automatic promotion, if we have a realistic chance to go above the Greek outfit on the last day. They are an organized side and are fairly consistent and that is what concerns me. Its hard to see them lose points this week"

" It would be amazing to win back to back promotions and it would be great for the fans to see us play top-flight football next season. We were quite low in the table halfway into the season and we've shown great character to be where we are now...quite like what we had last season, except we were playing lot more attractive football then. The next season would see few players leave .But in Busquets , Rafael silva and Coquelin we have exactly the players we were looking for."

The city Chairman has come out to share a word of applause for the works of the young manager..

" We always knew he was the right man for the job and now in two full seasons with the club he has taken us from third division anonymity to top division football. We've improved on and off the field..He's someone who prefers to do things the Wenger's way..we have some incredible teens who can make the step up soon. As a Chairman, its an easy place to be in. "

The manager Alvin couldn't hide his joy either.

" ..Feels great to be back to back runners-up . The club, the fans and the players are all looking forward to play first division football in this elite setup. There are some excellent clubs and smart managers in this league. We are looking to go with a new style of play this season, something we haven't tried a lot in the past. But that depends on we if can get the right players for it"

-------------------------------------

Following the promotion, City captain Distin has been asking for a huge increase in his wages. The player whose contract expired a week ago has been temporarily offered a new contract . He would receive an additional 35k ,taking him to 57 k a week, making him the highest paid player in the club.

" His wage demands are fair considering he has been at the club for 8 seasons now and has been one of the best performers for the club over these years. But we have a wage policy at the club and if suitable buyers arrive we would consider. He's asking for wages just above 2 M a season and we would rather let him go. we are looking to swap him for a full back".

"If Distin is to leave we haven't decided who would receive the armband from him. we had expected Distin to stick around for another couple of seasons and expected young Hernanes to eventually take over that role from him. But now its between him, Ibagaza and Diego Lopez"