Old Firm

Eekapeeka7

Re: Old Firm

From what i can gather Rangers want to join the Blue Square Premier because of the new league system which has been accepted by the SFA and Celtic are happy where they are. Personally i can see Rangers joining the Blue Square which i think would be great as they have nothing to lose in doing so but Celtic would never IMO as they have far to much too lose.

The fact that Celtic have an average Championship 'squad' whilst Rangers could get on par with that in the future makes me feel that it is no different to having the 2 Sheffield clubs in England.

No point in allowing them over here as they would have no positive impact on the English game.

Plus it would keep a lot of the prats in Glasgow saving thousands upon thousands of pounds in ground repairs for English clubs.

The fact that Celtic have an average Championship 'squad' whilst Rangers could get on par with that in the future makes me feel that it is no different to having the 2 Sheffield clubs in England.

No point in allowing them over here as they would have no positive impact on the English game.

Plus it would keep a lot of the prats in Glasgow saving thousands upon thousands of pounds in ground repairs for English clubs.

yeah your first part is right, we could prob get a very average championship side on the go were we to move down to englands bottom tier.

Saying they would have no positive impact is rubbish mate, the old firm are far bigger than most clubs in england with the exception a few, not many have anywhere near the support the old firm would bring to the table. Also give the Rangers and Celtic the same revenue as the other prem teams and a would bet given a few years to settle they would make a big stir in england!

The last part of your post is simply idiotic!

yeah your first part is right' date=' we could prob get a very average championship side on the go were we to move down to englands bottom tier.

Saying they would have no positive impact is rubbish mate, the old firm are far bigger than most clubs in england with the exception a few, not many have anywhere near the support the old firm would bring to the table. Also give the Rangers and Celtic the same revenue as the other prem teams and a would bet given a few years to settle they would make a big stir in england!

The last part of your post is simply idiotic![/quote']

If you look at the arrest/criminal investigation figures into the most recent times Celtic/Rangers have played EPL teams down here (inc the UEFA cup final) you will see the significant increase and realise the point is entirely valid - not to mention when in the past 99 and 96 I believe the last time Scotland played England at Wembley.

Secondly if you put the two Sheffield clubs in Glasgow (in place of Celtic and Rangers) and gave them 50k seater stadiums, I am sure that they would be filling their grounds for European and domestic nights due to their would be dominance of domestic competition.

The novelty of them being down here would wear off within the first couple of years.

If you look at the arrest/criminal investigation figures into the most recent times Celtic/Rangers have played EPL teams down here (inc the UEFA cup final) you will see the significant increase and realise the point is entirely valid - not to mention when in the past 99 and 96 I believe the last time Scotland played England at Wembley.

Secondly if you put the two Sheffield clubs in Glasgow (in place of Celtic and Rangers) and gave them 50k seater stadiums' date=' I am sure that they would be filling their grounds for European and domestic nights due to their would be dominance of domestic competition.

The novelty of them being down here would wear off within the first couple of years.[/quote']

so it was all rangers and celtic fans that cause the trouble, not the home fans? cmon mate, rangers took hundreds of thousands to manchester, how many arrests were there?!? You could say the same when england go to major championships! I dont, and no supporter of either the old firm will condone any behaviour that damages the reputation of either club, both clubs are working hard to weed out the problem fans. The majority of old firm fans are well behaved and can have a pint in the same pub after the game.

I still stand by my opinion that the old firm would be a good edition to english football.

ps, no disrespect to either sheffield team but they are nowhere near the size of rangers or celtic, fact!

so it was all rangers and celtic fans that cause the trouble' date=' not the home fans? cmon mate, rangers took hundreds of thousands to manchester, how many arrests were there?!? You could say the same when england go to major championships! I dont, and no supporter of either the old firm will condone any behaviour that damages the reputation of either club, both clubs are working hard to weed out the problem fans. The majority of old firm fans are well behaved and can have a pint in the same pub after the game.

[b']I can agree with this. However with the 'rivalry' that exists between the 2 nations it will only increase the problems with the prats down here also. Best to keep it limited to European games tbh. If you asked me should Millwall and Leeds move to the SPL I would cite the same reason.[/b]

I still stand by my opinion that the old firm would be a good edition to english football.

ps, no disrespect to either sheffield team but they are nowhere near the size of rangers or celtic, fact!

If Both Sheffield clubs had been in the SPL for the last 50 years in place of Celtic and Rangers the 'glory hunters' would have clung on and both would have the same stature now imo.

Give a few years of R and C being down here playing Chgampionship football and I find it unlikely that both Glasgow clubs would attract the same following with no success.

Whilst I am against having them in the Ebglish league pyramid, I would be all for a 'British league cup' incorporating all Scottish and English league clubs to see how it would fair.

Don't see why not' date=' if the [b']Welsh [/b]are allowed in i can't see a problem with letting the Scots' in, that's borderline racism isn't it? lol

Dont see why people always use that debate drawing us in :P us and swansea been in the 'english' league for more than long enough for people to question our place tbh...

Im not overly fussed either way on the old firm pair, i think if they left the scottish league it would be a bit of a joke league tbh (on a par with the welsh one) if they did join though in the interest of fairness they would have to start at the bottom of the footballing pyramid and work up like us welshies had to.

Dont see why people always use that debate drawing us in :P us and swansea been in the 'english' league for more than long enough for people to question our place tbh...

Im not overly fussed either way on the old firm pair' date=' i think if they left the scottish league it would be a bit of a joke league tbh (on a par with the welsh one) if they did join though in the interest of fairness they would have to start at the bottom of the footballing pyramid and work up like us welshies had to.[/quote']

I didn't say i had a problem with it, i just said it's surely equal rights if one is allowed in the other has the option to.

That's like letting Spanish people into our country and not letting Portuguese people in.

Ill have some of what youv been smoking mate...

An average championship sqaud... ok because your going to see the likes of Hull beating Barcelona and spartak moscow while drawing with Benfica...

Bar wilfred Zaha you always see average championship players been talked up such as Hooper, Wanyama Forster kayal Ledley.

Fact is alot of Celtics team would do the job in majority of Englands prem clubs but England look down at Celtic because we play in Scotland when some of our players would do awesome at most clubs.

As for joining England id rarther join a europiern league than England and put our B side out in Spl...

If Both Sheffield clubs had been in the SPL for the last 50 years in place of Celtic and Rangers the 'glory hunters' would have clung on and both would have the same stature now imo.

Give a few years of R and C being down here playing Chgampionship football and I find it unlikely that both Glasgow clubs would attract the same following with no success.

Whilst I am against having them in the Ebglish league pyramid' date=' I would be all for a 'British league cup' incorporating all Scottish and English league clubs to see how it would fair.[/quote']

Man I just look at your posts and wonder why I am wasting my time to reply but I shall...

If Celtic and Rangers played in England i would bet you alot of money that say with in 10 years we would be up there in the prem challenging for euroupe fact. Heres why...

Celtic and Rangers have bigger supports than most sides in the premierleague now anyway you wont go to Australia and find many Norwich fans but you will find 500k Celtic ones and you wont go to America and find many Stoke sunderland Newcastle ect ect fans, no disrispect to there clubs but Celtic and Rangers mop the floor in support and clue stature with majority of premier league as it is.

Now you think we both have big stadiums Rangers fill theres in scotish division 3 while Celtic are legendery for atmosphire so imagine what it would be like in England?

In the SPL Celtic get penuts every year if we got the money you lads got from sky 40m a season we would easley be up there because a player is going to join celtic a side with history massive fan base that actully has a good stadium atmosphire rarther than for example Fulham or sunderland.

Now I have respect for all the teams i mentiond up there but your points are ridiculas we are two of the biggest sides in the world and call me bias if you want the only difference between us and England is money.

Oh and Celtic would win the championship with our current sqaud now every player in our team would walk into any championship side without a doubt

I agree 100% that we should start from the bottom, thats the only way, to be fair were doing it at the mo, still 45000 plus at every home match.

I think it will happen, hopefully sooner rather than later.

If we are willing to start from the bottom I dont see what the problem is???

An average championship sqaud... ok because your going to see the likes of Leeds beating Barcelona and spartak moscow while drawing with Benfica...

Bar wilfred Zaha you always see average championship players been talked up such as Hooper' date=' Wanyama Forster kayal Ledley.

Fact is alot of Celtics team would do the job in majority of Englands prem clubs but England look down at Celtic because we play in Scotland when some of our players would do awesome at most clubs.

As for joining England id rarther join a europiern league than England and put our B side out in Spl...[/quote']

Pure an utter English ignorance/arrogance.

They actually believe that the majority of premier teams are on an enitirely different level from us.

And as for the Sheffield clubs point, we'll see how long they enjoy playing the same teams 4 times a year, with almost zero competition.

"The novelty of them being up here would wear off within the first couple of years"

An average championship sqaud... ok because your going to see the likes of Hull beating Barcelona and spartak moscow while drawing with Benfica...

Bar wilfred Zaha you always see average championship players been talked up such as Hooper' date=' Wanyama Forster kayal Ledley.

As for joining England id rarther join a europiern league than England and put our B side out in Spl...[/quote']

Smaller clubs have history of causing upsets in Europe. That is why they are called upsets.

You use the example of 3 wins out of 6 in the CL but forget to mention losing to Kilmarnock, Hibs and St Johnstone- and I would bet that the top end of championship teams would be able to dispatch of them on the majority of occasions.

As for your second post if you really think you would be finishing above the likes of Cardiff, Leicester, Boro etc then you may need to have a smoke chap.

When was the last time a player came down from Scotland and performed anywhere near the consistency that they played with in the SPL? Jelavic? Yeah he is turning out to be a bargain:rolleyes:

Maloney, Wilson, McFadden, Naismith, Hutton Goodwillie:rolleyes:

Yes there are a rare couple of examples when a couple do show some glimpses of quality.

And if we are going on about 'great performances against Barca' lets look at David Marshall- is he now playing for a top top club because he was underrated? No he is in the championship and has been for a while.

Smaller clubs have history of causing upsets in Europe. That is why they are called upsets.

You use the example of 3 wins out of 6 in the CL but forget to mention losing to Kilmarnock' date=' Hibs and St Johnstone- and I would bet that the top end of championship teams would be able to dispatch of them on the majority of occasions.

As for your second post if you really think you would be finishing above the likes of Cardiff, Leicester, Boro etc then you may need to have a smoke chap.

When was the last time a player came down from Scotland and performed anywhere near the consistency that they played with in the SPL? Jelavic? Yeah he is turning out to be a bargain:rolleyes:

Maloney, Wilson, McFadden, Naismith, Hutton Goodwillie:rolleyes:

Yes there are a rare couple of examples when a couple do show some glimpses of quality.

And if we are going on about 'great performances against Barca' lets look at David Marshall- is he now playing for a top top club because he was underrated? No he is in the championship and has been for a while.[/quote']

Sorry your not making sense here if you actully think celtics current side is a average championship side you need to be seen by a mental cyciatrist mate i mean iv lived in England for over 10 years and even the most stubbon of the people ino say celtic would win championship with this side. We would rain Mboro they are a joke do not tell me you think they beat celtic because they really woudnt. Leicster? Hahaha dnt make me laugh they are good but would they beat Barca? No...

Yes shocks have happend however I cant quite think back bar Apeol last season were a side like ours worth 10m has defeated the best team in the world and then beat a side like spartak with milllions on millions of talent and then draw with another top class side...

You need ur head checking mate Wanyama, Hooper and Forester would get into a top 6 side in prem Hooper outside almost everybody 4 years ago in championship wtih relegated shorpe and he is 3x the player he was now.

Yes there has been failures from SPL but Celtic given time in prem would be a asset because there is no atmosphire in england at all our fans would blow you away and top players would join Celtic because of our history and fans rarther than other sides...

Typical English Arigonce

i agree that if the day ever came that rangers or celtic reached the premiership, kept our status for a year or so then without a shadow of a doubt they would attract the top players as they would be in the top 4 supported clubs in the league. the interest in the old firm would be huge!!

Sorry your not making sense here if you actully think celtics current side is a average championship side you need to be seen by a mental cyciatrist mate i mean iv lived in England for over 10 years and even the most stubbon of the people ino say celtic would win championship with this side. We would rain Mboro they are a joke do not tell me you think they beat celtic because they really woudnt. Leicster? Hahaha dnt make me laugh they are good but would they beat Barca? No...

We will agree to disagree here. If Celtic were as good as you say they are then they would have disposed of every other SPL side comfortably this season.

Yes shocks have happend however I cant quite think back bar Apeol last season were a side like ours worth 10m has defeated the best team in the world and then beat a side like spartak with milllions on millions of talent and then draw with another top class side...

Yeah if only BATE Borisov had beaten Bayern Munich (CL runners up) 3-1 and won 3-1 away to Lille in the group stages also:rolleyes:- or how about Basel knocking Man Utd out of the group stages the year before:rolleyes:

You need ur head checking mate Wanyama' date=' Hooper and Forester would get into a top 6 side in prem Hooper outside almost everybody 4 years ago in championship wtih relegated shorpe and he is 3x the player he was now.

[b']Why? Because he is scoring for fun in Scotland:confused: As I said when was the last time a player came down from Scotland and continued their form there down here?? Probably only Larsson. We have always heard it down here and the hype never justifies the player.

Good grief, a couple of good games in the CL and Wanyama etc would get into Utd, City, Chelsea etc:rolleyes: [/b]

And Celtic fans had the audacity to laugh at Rangers for claiming to want £20m+ for Jelavic.

Yes there has been failures from SPL but Celtic given time in prem would be a asset because there is no atmosphire in england at all our fans would blow you away and top players would join Celtic because of our history and fans rarther than other sides...

Celtic wouldn't get out of the Championship with their current squad to test that theory I'm afraid:o

Typical English Arigonce

*Arrogance;)

might not get out it straight away' date=' but they will through time, that is a cert, [b']and with the revenue in the top league [/b]it wouldnt be long till the were pushing the big boys aswell.

That would also be a reason why you wouldn't. The parachute payments that relegated clubs get would enable them to stay ahead of you in terms of players they would be able to buy/keep.

*Arrogance;)

Im dysleksike... No need to be a grammer nazi

Yes i agree 100% celtic should defeat every team with ease but we aint gunna because of psycological reasons... One week your playing barca 3 days later ur playing st mirren... Even though it shouldnt players dont get up for it and end up being beaten...

Yes Bate beat bayern and Lille but Lille aint no Barca are they... That is no shock Bate are good at home and transferd that form away but I agree with Basel however lets be fair did Man u put there strongest side out every game? No, Man u went into those games thinking they would smash Basel they didnt they got knocked out psycological again.

Sorry can you read btw? I showed you there that Hooper outscored everybody bar one in the championship when he was in a relegated club so lets put this into perspective he outscored Andy Carrol A 35million pound striker and Carrol was at the team that won the league and Hooper was at the team that finished 2nd bottom. Hmmmm lets add that one up now hooper has proven record in euroupe as well get your Bias tinted glasses off hooper would bang goals in anywere.

Stylian Petrov?

Barry Ferguson when he went to blackburn first time around

Yes Wanyama would get into Man u Ferguson sent his scouts to see him then watched him himself he would fit in as the combative midfielder he scores hes strong great heading great tackling and hes consitant he is a class act to good for the SPL but you wont admit it or you aint seen enough of him its the same with hooper and forster and im surprised Ledley and Mulgrew dont get shouts.

And yes Celtic would drain the championship with our current side :)

Im dysleksike... No need to be a grammer nazi

I wasn't aware of this' date=' so apologise if my grammar nazism caused any offence;)[/b']

Yes i agree 100% celtic should defeat every team with ease but we aint gunna because of psycological reasons... One week your playing barca 3 days later ur playing st mirren... Even though it shouldnt players dont get up for it and end up being beaten...

And the flip side of that coin is why they beat Barca and Spartak. Yes they can get 'up' for those games but could they get up for Blackpool and Hull away?

Yes Bate beat bayern and Lille but Lille aint no Barca are they... That is no shock Bate are good at home and transferd that form away but I agree with Basel however lets be fair did Man u put there strongest side out every game? No, Man u went into those games thinking they would smash Basel they didnt they got knocked out psycological again.

But Bayern progressed futher than Barca last season. Celtic are good at home also for European nights. And for both nights against Basel we had a very strong team out. Also I am sure Barca would have expected to "smash" Celtic so that may be why they lost - psychological again;)

Sorry can you read btw? I showed you there that Hooper outscored everybody bar one in the championship when he was in a relegated club so lets put this into perspective he outscored Andy Carrol A 35million pound striker and Carrol was at the team that won the league and Hooper was at the team that finished 2nd bottom. Hmmmm lets add that one up now hooper has proven record in euroupe as well get your Bias tinted glasses off hooper would bang goals in anywere.

"Hooper would bang in goals everywhere" - and I am biased:rolleyes: I have always stated it is easy to be the main man for a poor club as everything goes through you. Put into a team with better quality and suddenly you are not so indespensible.

Stylian Petrov?

Barry Ferguson when he went to blackburn first time around

Ferguson was poor and Petrov was good for Villa I will admit. But Larsson and Petrov aside the list of 'poor' players who have come down far far outweigh the players who have come down and made an impact.

Yes Wanyama would get into Man u Ferguson sent his scouts to see him then watched him himself he would fit in as the combative midfielder he scores hes strong great heading great tackling and hes consitant he is a class act to good for the SPL but you wont admit it or you aint seen enough of him its the same with hooper and forster and im surprised Ledley and Mulgrew dont get shouts.

First off we have scouts at matches all over Europe. We end up signing/going for less than 5% of them. Secondly, stop believing everything you read in the Daily Mail. SAF was at the game as he was due to attend a funeral the following day.

And yes Celtic would drain the championship with our current side :)

No you wouldn't;)

Gotta agree with Cheeky here.. i think its a ludacris statement to say Celtic would win the championship and are better than the other teams.

Being a Cardiff fan i wouldnt find a match against your boys at all worrying tbh id be quite confident of dispatching you (no offence intended to you on that just my opinion).

You guys could well do good in the championship but to say youd win it and be a force in the prem is a stretch, alot of players only tend to join your lot for champions league footy which you get automatically because of your leagues poor standard and to win trophys. Some of the players in your sqaud alone have come from Cardiff who werent good enough to cement a place in our team e.g. Matthews.

Archived