Kenerz1

Should Player Wages be capped?

Should Player Wages be capped?  

1. 1.

• Yes
    • No
    • Don't Know

Hi Everyone.

Please could you help me with some University work which looks at attitudes towards modern-day football. It's just a simple yes/no/do not know poll about whether player wages, in England, should be capped. Feel free to express why you think wages should/should not be capped and how would be implemented. My personal opinion is that they need capping to protect the long-term finanicial health of our clubs.

Thank You

Kenerz1

Re: Should Player Wages be capped?

Hi Everyone.

Please could you help me with some University work which looks at attitudes towards modern-day football. It's just a simple yes/no/do not know poll about whether player wages' date=' in England, should be capped. Feel free to express why you think wages should/should not be capped and how would be implemented. My personal opinion is that they need capping to protect the long-term finanicial health of our clubs.

Thank You

Kenerz1[/font']

Hello Kenerz, as i'm sure you're aware Jimmy Hill removed the £20 maximum wage cap. This measure or anything like it now would not be legal as every player and their agent would go through the courts in the UK and finally to the Supreme Court of the United Kingdom, the highest court of appeal in the Country. If they lost, they would probaby take it further, to the European court of Human Rights or the like.

On the hypothesise that it were law it would be a meaningless one. It would be easy to circumvent through advertising deals done through the club and player or other third party's.

As to the crux of your question, I voted no wages should not be capped.

The reason for this is simply fairness, although footballers are clearly paid too much, in that no-one needs all of that to live on, to cap one professions' wages over another is unfair.

The long term health of clubs is generally through attendances and sponsorship/merchandising. It is usually through chairman/boardroom mismanagement, like any business that gets clubs in trouble, and overpaying above one's means in salary falls under this category.

Good luck with your work.

Thank you to those who have responded so far.

Safir: This poll is part of my University Dissertation on the Economics of Football and its social and cultural impacts. (I study Mathematics and Football Society at UCLan.)

Most definitely' date=' its the only logical way to stop clubs from "buying titles" ie the clubs like Manchester City, Anzhi, PSG etc. with wage caps these clubs wont be able to just splash cash.

:)[/color']

All titles are bought, its only now that the owners are "foreign" that this is percieved as a problem.

The top Spanish clubs are the richest through crowd attentance and merchandise/sponsorship. Real madrid were bankrolled by the state under Franco. The Quatari's and others are doing a similar thing, the clubs you mentioned are following the same path football has always followed.

Alan Shearer moved to Blackburn for 3.6m, Roy Keane to man Utd for £3.75, around 1992/93 yet it is blackburn who are remembered as "buying the title", Man Utd spend plenty. Just because a club is not traditionally successful does not mean they should not spend money.

The Manchester Uniteds and the other clubs worldwide that are consistant almost all spend big on fees and wages so others must do the same.

All titles are bought' date=' its only now that the owners are "foreign" that this is percieved as a problem.

The top Spanish clubs are the richest through crowd attentance and merchandise/sponsorship. Real madrid were bankrolled by the state under Franco. The Quatari's and others are doing a similar thing, the clubs you mentioned are following the same path football has always followed.

Alan Shearer moved to Blackburn for 3.6m, Roy Keane to man Utd for £3.75, around 1992/93 yet it is blackburn who are remembered as "buying the title", Man Utd spend plenty. Just because a club is not traditionally successful does not mean they should not spend money.

The Manchester Uniteds and the other clubs worldwide that are consistant almost all spend big on fees and wages so others must do the same.[/quote']

Not at all, United, Barce, Real, Juve, Milan, SLB, Porto, Celtic etc yes they buy a few players but they have been producing great squads and winning titles without splashing billions on players and buying whole new squads, City Anzhi PSG have just bought titles. You have to be able to produce good player not just buy them, and this what the greats have been doing for ages, its got nothing to do with "foreign" owners.

I think that even a Transfer budget cap should be introduced, based on last seasons performance. :)

Thank you to those who have responded so far.

Safir: This poll is part of my University Dissertation on the Economics of Football and its social and cultural impacts. (I study Mathematics and Football Society at UCLan.)

Football Society is that a subject? im in matric now and looking at what to study next year at uni' date=' can you maybe tell me more about that?

All titles are bought' date=' its only now that the owners are "foreign" that this is percieved as a problem.

[/quote']

Load of bull. Jack Walker was at the forefront and he was about as foreign as Nick Griffin.

The big differential between the likes of Utd etc, is that Utd have 'earned' their money to spend as opposed to winning a lottery ticket with a sugar daddy.

A man who works his backside off to earn the opportunity to buy a Porsche will always garner more respect than the spoilt little madam who is bought a Porsche for her 17th birthday by her rich Daddy....

Not at all' date='[u'] United, Barce, Real, Juve, Milan, SLB, Porto, Celtic[/u] etc yes they buy a few players but they have been producing great squads and winning titles without splashing billions on players and buying whole new squads, City Anzhi PSG have just bought titles. You have to be able tooing for ages, its got nothing to do with "foreign" owners.

I think that even a Transfer budget cap should be introduced, based on last seasons performance. :)

Man Utd - Richest Sports team in the world, value exeeded $3 Billion 8 days ago.

Barcelona- National team of region.

Real Madrid - State Financed.

Milan - State Financed.

Juventus - Around 2011 spent €145m (transfers and fees) to win title. Largest Italian club fanbase.

SLB, Porto and Celtic spend hugely in comparison to their competitors in the divisions.

Are you really claiming in relation to their divisional peers the clubs you've mentioned don't have financial advantages "without splashing billions on players and buying whole new squads"?

A budget cap would only weaken those already far behind in terms of personnel and strengthen those clubs aformentioned.

Load of bull. Jack Walker was at the forefront and he was about as foreign as Nick Griffin.

The big differential between the likes of Utd etc' date=' is that Utd have 'earned' their money to spend as opposed to winning a lottery ticket with a sugar daddy.

A man who works his backside off to earn the opportunity to buy a Porsche will always garner more respect than the spoilt little madam who is bought a Porsche for her 17th birthday by her rich Daddy....[/quote']

Did you not notice the blackburn reference?

edit: A bit confused by your "bull" & porsche/daddy/madam sentance, why so angry? Use facts for a debate, no need for that business. I wish you well.

Did you not notice the blackburn reference?

edit: A bit confused by your "bull" & porsche/daddy/madam sentance' date=' why so angry? Use facts for a debate, no need for that business. I wish you well.[/quote']

You mistake anger for a simple and clear analogy explaining the difference between United's spending and the likes of Blackburn's, City and Chelsea etc etc.

The 'bull' was also clearly in reference to your suggestion that only now the owners are foreign is there any issue with sugardaddies.

Man Utd - Richest Sports team in the world' date=' value exeeded $3 Billion 8 days ago.

Barcelona- National team of region.

Real Madrid - State Financed.

Milan - State Financed.

Juventus - Around 2011 spent €145m (transfers and fees) to win title. Largest Italian club fanbase.

SLB, Porto and Celtic spend hugely in comparison to their competitors in the divisions.[/i']

Are you really claiming in relation to their divisional peers the clubs you've mentioned don't have financial advantages "without splashing billions on players and buying whole new squads"?

A budget cap would only weaken those already far behind in terms of personnel and strengthen those clubs aformentioned.

All totally wrong mate

:P I am saying that they have earned the right to buy good players, city/anzhi/psg haven not they just splash billions (more than any other clubs anyways).

A budget cap will bring the top clubs down to the bottom ones level, and make the league more competitive and increase attendances etc.

as to green text, that is the value of United not how much they spend, Juve only spend about £110M that is nothing compared to the other sides and they were recently promoted, duna what you are talking about the other clubs :confused:

You mistake anger for a simple and clear analogy explaining the difference between United's spending and the likes of Blackburn's' date=' City and Chelsea etc etc.

The 'bull' was also clearly in reference to your suggestion that only now the owners are foreign is there any issue with sugardaddies.[/quote']I don't think people had as much of an issue with Walker doing it, as they do with Abramovic doing it though.

All totally wrong mate

:P I am saying that they have earned the right to buy good players' date=' city/anzhi/psg haven not they just splash billions (more than any other clubs anyways).

A budget cap will bring the top clubs down to the bottom ones level, and make the league more competitive and increase attendances etc.

as to green text, that is the value of United not how much they spend, Juve only spend about £110M that is nothing compared to the other sides and they were recently promoted, duna what you are talking about the other clubs :confused:[/color']

Sure, i understand what your saying, and i thought that you made an interesting point in moving the debate on. As i posted earlier I don't think the caps either legal or enforcable.

Re you Q: I mean the value of a club dictates what it can spend on transfers/salary, which is why i talked about Man utd and the state backed ones.

I do disagree that those clubs have earnt the right to spend money and not the newer ones though. Simply being rich over a period of years should not prohibit another club from spending, otherwise the same clubs will generally maintain a monopoly without facing any new competition.

You mistake anger for a simple and clear analogy explaining the difference between United's spending and the likes of Blackburn's' date=' City and Chelsea etc etc.

The 'bull' was also clearly in reference to your suggestion that only now the owners are foreign is there any issue with sugardaddies.[/quote']

Man Utd have since the start of the premiership have generally been either 1 or 2 in top spenders, 12 times they were either 1st or 2nd in fee's spent from 92/93 to 2009/10.

You imply you would rather see only a few clubs be allowed to spend money like this because they are the traditional ones. How can there be competition if new challengers do not emerge to challenge them for the players they need to succeed, to do this they must spend on transfer fees and salary.

Football Society is that a subject? im in matric now and looking at what to study next year at uni' date=' can you maybe tell me more about that?

Well unfortunately the uni no longer do it as a part of a degree anymore as not many people take the subject (There's three of us doing the course plus other people we share modules in). But since you asked it covers all aspects of football mainly racism, hooliganism, journalism, business and history. Although have heard of a football business degree at the University based at Burnley FC which you may want to check out. Quite a few Universities offer Sport Journalism as a degree it all depends what you are looking for. Bare in mind that when I tell people I study Football Society I usually get a :eek: expression as some people don't see it as proper subject but I like my football and learnt a lot from it so i got what I wanted with it.

Ben C: Thank You for that. I had heard there was a meeting on it coming up but didn't know it was tomorrow. Should be interesting to see the outcome if any. :)

As regards to Uncle Jack Walker buying the title, yes he did but does bring a smile to my face every time someone mentions it regardless and if you'd ask Manchester City fans I'm pretty sure they'd say the same. But I guess we don't get the same cynicism as Jack was a local business man wanting the best for his club and town and plus it didn't last either.

Sure' date=' i understand what your saying, and i thought that you made an interesting point in moving the debate on. As i posted earlier I don't think the caps either legal or enforcable.

Re you Q: I mean the value of a club dictates what it can spend on transfers/salary, which is why i talked about Man utd and the state backed ones.

I do disagree that those clubs have earnt the right to spend money and not the newer ones though. Simply being rich over a period of years should not prohibit another club from spending, otherwise the same clubs will generally maintain a monopoly without facing any new competition.

Man Utd have since the start of the premiership have generally been either 1 or 2 in top spenders, 12 times they were either 1st or 2nd in fee's spent from 92/93 to 2009/10.

You imply you would rather see only a few clubs be allowed to spend money like this because they are the traditional ones. How can there be competition if new challengers do not emerge to challenge them for the players they need to succeed, to do this they must spend on transfer fees and salary.[/quote']

No their history means they should be allowed to purchase better players. And thats how they most clubs are currently ranked anyways.

Well unfortunately the uni no longer do it as a part of a degree anymore as not many people take the subject (There's three of us doing the course plus other people we share modules in). But since you asked it covers all aspects of football mainly racism' date=' hooliganism, journalism, business and history. Although have heard of a football business degree at the University based at Burnley FC which you may want to check out. Quite a few Universities offer Sport Journalism as a degree it all depends what you are looking for. Bare in mind that when I tell people I study Football Society I usually get a :eek: expression as some people don't see it as proper subject but I like my football and learnt a lot from it so i got what I wanted with it.

Ben C: Thank You for that. I had heard there was a meeting on it coming up but didn't know it was tomorrow. Should be interesting to see the outcome if any. :)

As regards to Uncle Jack Walker buying the title, yes he did but does bring a smile to my face every time someone mentions it regardless and if you'd ask Manchester City fans I'm pretty sure they'd say the same. But I guess we don't get the same cynicism as Jack was a local business man wanting the best for his club and town and plus it didn't last either.[/quote']

Thanks ill check it out

:)

I doubt many will agree but here is my view on this. I don;t think a players wage should be capped. A player can ask for what he wants, a club then chooses if they want tomeet that or not. It is commercial sense.

What I want capped is agents fees. They over inflate everything to get their percentage for doing very little and are an unecessary evil in the game IMHO.