English Championship 28888

Benjo_Benjo

Re: English Championship 28888

Watford maintain good form

Watford's young guns keep the pressure on Nottingham and Leeds by beating a superior Wigan, in style!

Dominated possession and had way more chances on goal, only negative was the score line winning it by only one goal.

Luis Veigas steered Watford to victory against Wigan Athletic.

Watford beat Wigan Athletic 2 - 1 in their Division 2 fixture.

Bezus had an impressive game and was voted Man of the Match.

Boly and Cauna were amongst the goalscorers.

Pleased to see that the two managers above me are very good managers in Hannab and Richard007, who I'm sure will take this race right to the final game. Good challenge there for us but it would be brilliant if all 3 of us could get promoted at the end of the season.

Should be a close run thing in Div 2, I agree.

It's a shame there isn't more forum activity for 28888 - it's shaping up as a quirky game world. 80 managers and some very good ones.

Divs 1 and 3 look like they will be close all season. There are interesting projects underway at Macclesfield (11-0-0 in div 5) and Portsmouth (10-0-1) in Div 4.

In the lower divisions lots of different managers are trying different approaches - with not too many huge stars being bought outside the Premier League clubs.

Div 2 will be a good battle.

I'm happy with my Leeds squad - I can field an 85 team in every match.

I just had a look at the Forest squad, though - how Hannah put that lot together is amazing. Moyes and Woodward should hire her.

Veigas' Watford squad looks a lot more like mine. Mid 80s young guys with a bit of depth.

The size of the squad makes such a difference over 46 games + a cup run.

I think that's why very strong but small squads like QPR and Bournemouth can't run away with it at our level.

Conversely It's also why the jump from div 2 to div 1 is harder for clubs like Leeds and Watford, because we have to rely on risers to pay for rebuilding the squad and can't afford the top talent to challenge the top teams if we get there.

Div 2 will be a good battle.

I'm happy with my Leeds squad - I can field an 85 team in every match.

I just had a look at the Forest squad' date=' though - how Hannah put that lot together is amazing. Moyes and Woodward should hire her.

Veigas' Watford squad looks a lot more like mine. Mid 80s young guys with a bit of depth.

The size of the squad makes such a difference over 46 games + a cup run.

I think that's why very strong but small squads like QPR and Bournemouth can't run away with it at our level.

Conversely It's also why the jump from div 2 to div 1 is harder for clubs like Leeds and Watford, because we have to rely on risers to pay for rebuilding the squad and can't afford the top talent to challenge the top teams if we get there.[/quote']

I agree with this yeah and how hard it will be eventually for Watford and Leeds to survive in div 1 if we make it there, but that's why I decided to go with good quality young players who I think should rise decently in the next year.

I think your Leeds and Hannahb's Nottingham will be flying all season, just hope my lads can keep it up and give you both a good fight till the last game!

Really think personally if Watford make it to div 1, we can stay there with these players and a mixture of good tactics and a little bit of luck.

It will be hard for me to let go of these players in a seasons time if I do so well, so I probably will just have to be happy with fighting relegation for a few season till they raise enough to hopefully get them mid table finishes or better.

If I get promoted will probably only bring in one or two if we have the funds, from only maybe selling the 4 older lads who are only 25 anyways.

But this is def one of the set ups I'm enjoying the most at the minute due to being here from the start and bringing in pretty much everyone i wanted and liked. So I'm really looking forward to the challenge of trying to get to the next level.

Cup R2

LEEDS 1 NORWICH 1

Leeds win 4-3 on pens

Div 2 leaders Leeds progressed to the next round of the cup by stuffing the Canaries (with no Vaseline to ease the pain).

It shouldn't have gone to penalties, truth be told.

We took nearly 60% possession and had 10 shots on target to their 4.

Norwich took the lead on 22 through Perez and held out until the 87th minute when (our Villa loanee) Sylla curled home a deserved equaliser. (Thanks Andres)

There would be no denying Leeds a merited victory after that.

Full time came - and when Ospina saved Bender's spot kick in the shoot-out the 33,000 crowd went in to raptures as Leeds prevailed.

Leeds face unmanaged Orient in Round 3 - so we have a real shot at going further

Next up for us, though, is a huge div 2 league game against 2nd placed Forest - who fielded their reserve team in the Cup against Villa tonight (and went out on pens)..

I almost did the same.

But the chance to take a Premier League club scalp - with their silly haircuts and big ratings - was too attractive to resist.

Carpe diem

Div 2

FOREST 3 LEEDS 1

Deservedly beaten by Hannah's strong first team - which she'd rested for the Cup ties.

Two down at HT we pulled one back through Ginczek (8th of the season) - but were never really in it.

Rest of the leading teams had mixed results - so not too much damage done by this defeat, which might have happened even if we'd been at our best.

Blackpool next - they look tough too.

Andy Burr was unable to prevent a Crystal Palace defeat to Stoke City.

Crystal Palace slumped to a 2 - 1 defeat against Stoke City in their Division 1 fixture.

Cardozo was on the scoresheet for his side.

After a great start, we are now on a slippery slide lol

Hopefully we can compete when Manny gets back from injury (8 weeks without total). The injuries are harsh, length-wise, 8 weeks on SM is like 26 in real life.

Anyways, this match was a fair result, even though it was Stoke's reserve team which had a few 70's in defence. Could of won, could of drew..but lost. Will work on squad depth later in season.

Div 2

FOREST 3 LEEDS 1

Deservedly beaten by Hannah's strong first team - which she'd rested for the Cup ties.

Two down at HT we pulled one back through Ginczek (8th of the season) - but were never really in it.

Rest of the leading teams had mixed results - so not too much damage done by this defeat' date=' which might have happened even if we'd been at our best.

Blackpool next - they look tough too.[/quote']

Big win for us was this. Unlucky Richard.

Wrexham on a roll

After their result against Chester FC, Wrexham are now unbeaten in 10 games setting a new club record for most games unbeaten in a row.

Leading to another record being set!!!

Record crowd watches Wrexham. 5,249 fans turned out to watch Wrexham against Chester FC breaking the previous home record attendance.

Extra £'s in my pocket I'm hoping!!!

Div 2

LEEDS 1 BLACKPOOL 1

A goalkeeping error cost Leeds the points in a match they dominated.

The league leaders worked hard and finally got the lead through Buttner on the hour

Four minutes later the Leeds Gk, Ospins, fumbled a shot from Oliveira into his own net.

Forest also dropped points - so we hang on to first place.

Watford bounce back

After a very unlucky defeat in midweek against Burnley, Watford bounced back nicely tonight with a solid performance.

Decided to give J BAHEBECK the start up front instead of O IGHALO and how it paid off nicely!

Luis Veigas steered Watford to victory against Sheffield Wednesday.

Watford outclassed Sheffield Wednesday and beat them 4 - 2 in a thrilling Division 2 encounter.

Bahebeck was impressive and scored a hat-trick, later being voted Man of the Match for his performance.

Mancienne was also on the scoresheet for his side.

france-bahebeck_203243_FRANCE_BAHEBECK_140613.jpg?t=-1719249417&w=640&h=360&quality=95&cropTo=top

Tonights hero Bahebeck

Nice to see the top 3 sides drop points again, taking us back up to 3rd and closer to top 2.

Div 2

LEEDS 1 BLACKPOOL 1

A goalkeeping error cost Leeds the points in a match they dominated.

The league leaders worked hard and finally got the lead through Buttner on the hour

Four minutes later the Leeds Gk' date=' Ospins, fumbled a shot from Oliveira into his own net.

Forest also dropped points - so we hang on to first place.[/quote']

Unlucky, decent point for us and not to far off the playoffs despite our lack of squad depth the youngsters aren't performing badly.

Watford cruise through to next round

Luis Veigas steered Watford to victory against Tranmere Rovers.

Watford beat Tranmere Rovers 3 - 1 in their English Championship Shield Round 2 fixture.

çolak scored a goal and was later voted Man of the Match for his performance.

Aydoğdu and Cauna were also amongst the goalscorers.

B)

Shield

LEEDS 3 WIMBLEDON 3

Leeds win on pens 4-3

With Watford waiting for us in the league I took the last-minute decision to field as many youth players as I could.

We took on a Wombles side that had been built to a high standard before their manager quit, with only a +2 advantage held by Leeds ore them.

We got through after a 3-3 thriller - Mujanga Bia, Hrgota and Byram netting for Leeds.

The win gives us another home tie in the Shield and some useful income to spend on another "investment" player.

By the time the season finishes I hope the Cup revenues will have bought us another couple - if a few of them rise then we might be able to build a decent squad for Div 1.

Watford away will be tough - they have a better squad than us and it's a pity we have to face them without Mlapa and Schone, our best outfield players.

I'll be happy with a point.

Luis Veigas earned a draw with Watford against Leeds United.

The match ended 2 - 2 between Watford and Leeds United in their Division 2 fixture.

çolak and Kelvin were amongst the goalscorers

The score and game says it all really in my eyes. Two very good team teams drawing and looking good for promotion.

Not many chances in the game, but still had me on the edge of my seat! Good game richard007!

I'll leave the proper match report for richard007...

Div 2

WATFORD 2 LEEDS 2

On balance, a result that is probably acceptable to both teams - but a point that was gained at huge cost for Leeds.

Montero and Frei - two of our best players - (86/86) - are sidelined for a total of 5 weeks following this match.

Colak put Watford in to an early lead, van Rhijn hit back for Leeds. Kelvin struck again for Watford to give the hosts a 2-1 half time lead.

Ginczek bagged his 9th of the season to share the spoils.

The stats suggest it was a fair outcome - though both teams could have won it late on.

Nottingham Forest missed a golden opportunity to go clear at the top by also drawing at home against lowly Charlton.

Just three points now separate the top 5 - with Leeds still holding a slender lead , as they have all season , in spite of being winless in the last 3 matches.

A big one for Leeds against Wigan next. They also out-rank us "player for player" so if we get past them we should be in good shape for an easier run of matches.

we're still in both cups too - so plenty going on for Leeds this season.

Watford will be "there or thereabouts" at the end of the season - so very happy to avoid defeat.