Official Tottenham Hotspur Thread

ian neller

Re: The Official Tottenham Hotspur Thread

More Transfer window talk:

Spurs now in for the running for two Dutch strikers in Ruud van Nistelrooy and Klass-Jan Huntelaar.

Inter might swoop in for Jermain Jenas.

Giorgio Chiellini's agent stayed behind after a recent match to talk to Spurs officials (though I wouldn't hold my breadth about this rumour)

Simon Kjaer from Palermo, would be a great signing.

Mahamadou Diarra from Real Madrid (shame it's not Lass we are talking about).

Ryan Babel looks for a way out from Liverpool.

I'd just like to issue my congratulations to Gareth Bale' date=' who today won his first ever Premier League game as a starter at Tottenham Hotspur. He joined the club on 27th May, 2007. B)[/quote']

He ripped us to pieces down there. Gotta say though, Spurs fans were terrible! Maybe they had never heard of our team before.

I'd just like to issue my congratulations to Gareth Bale' date=' who today won his first ever Premier League game as a starter at Tottenham Hotspur. He joined the club on 27th May, 2007. B)[/quote']

Im pretty sure he did it a couple months ago Andy, or was that his first ever win with Spurs ?

• 2 months later...

Just when it was vital that Spurs get three points ahead of their upcoming games against the top three we throw it all away against Sunderland. It will be incredibly hard for us to regain that 4th spot from City (though I think it is between us and them, counting Villa and Liverpool out of the race for the champions league spot).

I would happily settle for a Europa Cup place now, as I reckon the CL would be stretch us too far, too soon. We really need to strengthen our squad to make any sort of indent on the CL and the Premier League.

I'll be interested to see what Sandro offers, but I now think it is time that we get rid of either or both of Woodgate and King. It is too much to expect a team that is pushing for a top 4 finish to support two such injury prone players and play most of the season with the 3rd/4th/5th choice pairings at the back.

In my opinion Assou Ekoto has had his time at Spurs, Bale has finally shown the sort of form and skill that we all hoped he had and Corluka is a solid performer. Hopefully we will see some more new faces at Spurs next season that will be providing competition for places not just backup for injured players.

Lets build on the success of this season!

• 2 weeks later...

Cry away Lennon, the news only gets better. Ledley is back and yourself set to return soon, after all my huffin' and puffin' about us throwing the 4th spot away we are still in with a chance!

I didn't see the match only highlights... but what the hell was Bale doing popping up in the right forward position? Glad he did though!

Cry away Lennon' date=' the news only gets better. Ledley is back and yourself set to return soon, after all my huffin' and puffin' about us throwing the 4th spot away we are still in with a chance!

I didn't see the match only highlights... but what the hell was Bale doing popping up in the right forward position? Glad he did though![/quote']

He was making a run forward and the ball popped up and he slotted it beautifully, i must say.

• 3 weeks later...

Spurs in the CL :eek:

I think you have to say based on the whole of the season Spurs are the team who deserved it.

Hope you do well in the CL.

Bet you guys can't wait for next season now :D, the CL music coming on TV and Spurs being part of it :P

Really glad for you guys and believe it's got nothing to do with you guys pipping Arabs to that 4th spot.

Really enjoy watching Spurs play and perhaps you do have the best squad in terms of depth in the entire league as well. The work's not done yet though. You still gotta go through the qualifying phase and that's not going to be easier.

Gareth Bale FTW!

Presuming Spurs don't finish 3rd will Spurs be seeded for the qualifying?

As far as I know not being seeded will make Spurs play the lesser sides' date=' being seeded they might well have to face a Palermo or Sevilla or a Bremen?[/b']

Is it not the opposite way round? I would have thought Bremen, Palermo and Sevilla are seeded sides so they can't play each other. If Spurs were seeded then they would play the unseeded teams.

Is it not the opposite way round? I would have thought Bremen' date=' Palermo and Sevilla are seeded sides so they can't play each other. If Spurs were seeded then they would play the unseeded teams.[/quote']

The way it was structured last year if memory serves me, was that champions of 'lesser' leagues were drawn against each other while teams that qualified through a league position other than 1st were in a different pot. Hence Arsenal playing Celtic, I remember Lyon giving Anderlecht the run around and Fiorentina edging out Sporting. While teams like Debrecen or Zurich who made the group stages got a comparatively easy passage against the champions of a 3rd of 4th tier league.

All part of Platini's plan to include more nations in the group stages.

A massive well done to Spurs.

I would love to see them progress in the competition now they have made it.

Recent standard against European teams has been poor, I'm sure Spurs fans will agree. Hopefully that will change and Harry can take you quite far.

Is it not the opposite way round? I would have thought Bremen' date=' Palermo and Sevilla are seeded sides so they can't play each other. If Spurs were seeded then they would play the unseeded teams.[/quote']

UEFA do it differently now so it gives the smaller sides who actually won their league a chance to make the group stages.

You have a Champions path where this season the likes of RB Salzburg, Olympiakos, Debrecen and Zurich were in.

And you have a non champions section for the main countries which this season had Arsenal v Celtic, Lyon v Anderlecht, Sporting v Fiorentina and Panathinaikos v Atletico Madrid.

So Spurs will face a side from a bigger league. They might get lucky and get Celtic or a side from Greece but they could just as easily get Lyon or Sevilla.