Official Tottenham Hotspur Thread

Re: The Official Tottenham Hotspur Thread

Sorry' date=' but Friedel wouldn't make it even on bench in l'EDF. Even if Lloris would be dropped and, say, Landreau because of his recent bad match, there would still easily be 3 GK's in France that are better than Friedel. Ligue 1 is known for its top GK's. Lloris was the best of them and that's what makes this so damn ridiculous. You can think it this way around: was any club bigger than Spurs considering buying Friedel for their no. 1? No. Were many of them considering Lloris. Yes. You get your answer there.

And the one country that really lacks good GK's is not France, it is England. That's also the special characteristic that gets Hart constantly touted amongst the top 5 of world: he is English. Not saying he wasn't a great GK, but he is more hyped than other top GK's because the others come from countries with a lot of good GK's while Hart is the only one from England for ages.

Completely agree with this. What an idiotic move that was.[/quote']

Please. Friedel is not amazing but you are so drastic it is unreal.

There is a reason why there are so many "top gk's" in Ligue 1 and that is because the strikers are absolutely toilet.

• Replies 6.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Re: The Official Tottenham Hotspur Thread This was tweeted and after 3 minutes, it was removed.

This is one of the reasons why you clearly dont work in football or coaching at any level.

If players are performing and then suddenly dropped it can cause friction within the camp' date=' and a host of other issues which can be detrimental upon performance.

If the player in question, doesnt like competition then thats a fault of his own.[/quote']

I understand that, but just sticking Lloris in for a game for rotation would be more than enough to get him the team on a permanent basis.

Nene with 21 goals

Giroud with 21 goals

Hazard with 20 goals

Lisandro with 16 goals

Aubameyang with 16 goals

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/stats/scorers/_/league/fra.1/year/2011/french-ligue-1?cc=5739

Nene can't get in the PSG team anyore and is an attacking midfielder

If you could remind me how Giroud is doing at Arsenal?

Hazard is an attacking midfielder and has left

Thanks for proving my point :)

Nene can't get in the PSG team anyore and is an attacking midfielder

If you could remind me how Giroud is doing at Arsenal?

Hazard is an attacking midfielder and has left

Thanks for proving my point :)

Ancelotti is a complete fool' date=' he's playing Menez as a striker ... Nene is better then Menez ... slightly behind Ibrahimovich in goalscoring and PSG's biggest star the last few seasons ... Ancelotti plays his favourites ...

It takes time for a player to settle into a new team and a new league ... expecting 20+ goals in his first season there .... and he's only started 2 games ...

Hazard is an AM now yeah ... In Lille he had an extremely free role, he was allowed to play anywhere he wanted in his games ... and more often then not had more of a striker position rather then a AM ... AND was used as a sole striker at times ...

Staring blindly at stats has never been a good thing.[/center']

I understand that' date=' but just sticking Lloris in for a game for rotation would be more than enough to get him the team on a permanent basis.[/quote']

Yeah and it will undoubtedly be enough, but were about a month and a half into the season, played 5 games. Lets not all throw hissy fits quite yet :)

Ancelotti is a complete fool' date=' he's playing Menez as a striker ... Nene is better then Menez ... slightly behind Ibrahimovich in goalscoring and PSG's biggest star the last few seasons ... Ancelotti plays his favourites ...

It takes time for a player to settle into a new team and a new league ... expecting 20+ goals in his first season there .... and he's only started 2 games ...

Hazard is an AM now yeah ... In Lille he had an extremely free role, he was allowed to play anywhere he wanted in his games ... and more often then not had more of a striker position rather then a AM ... AND was used as a sole striker at times ...

Staring blindly at stats has never been a good thing.[/center']

First of all, Ménez is the most important player of PSG's attack and was so the last season as well. Nenê was much overrated last season, had someone else taken the penalties his tally would not have been considerable. He took a lot of long shots, yet did he score a one? Yeah, I think one free kick, or two? But none of his in play long shots. However, he far from being pushed out of the squad, most assists in Ligue 1 this season after the double in Bastia match and clearly still in Ancelotti's plans. The one good thing about Ancelotti is that he is big enough name to be above the egos of the players and can play anybody who fits to his ideas. E.g. Jallet the captain. Leo was probably about to offload the guy and buy some has-been in his place before that. Had Gameiro, for example, taken the penalties for PSG, he would have (had he converted them) scored some 14 or 15 goals during autumn alone and would most probably not have been benched at spring. Take out the penalties and Nenê scored 2 more goals than Gameiro, while playing some 800 minutes more. Easy as that.

Using stats is good only if you are careful with them. Even the stats I refer to above are far from giving us sufficient detail to value these players, let alone the GK's they encountered, but staring to one superficial statistic alone is never good.

For example, doesn't the stats go that Giroud has thus far managed 0 shots on target in EPL? It is not because of the "good" GK's EPL that he is not scoring. Not even "good" defences, as he has got his chances. It is that he has missed the target. You could put it the other way round: how many saves have the EPL GK's got against Giroud? Just as informative.

And well, we can always compare: Mirallas, 123 matches in Ligue 1, mostly as a striker, scoring 13 goals. In EPL, so far as a winger he has scored 1 goal in 4 matches. Papiss Cissé never managed to score in Ligue 1 and wasn't massive in Ligue 2 either. So perhaps EPL GK's are not match to Ligue 2 ones?

The point is, Like_A_Boas has a lot to learn about what it means to prove a point.

We could pick further weak points in his "reasoning" (that is so lousy that I'm not sure it should be counted as reasoning in the first place): there is no reason why goals should be scored precisely by striker and not AM. In the modern football players are not tied to so restricted roles, and for example, Giroud played a huge role in making the plays for Montpellier, while playing as the lonely striker. You ask then why the scorer was not a striker, if the team plays with only a one and this particular striker is used for creating the chances?

I let you do the math on that one, but to understand why there were so few strikers in top 5 or even top 10 of Ligue 1 scorers last season, you should go at least a bit deeper in stats than just looking at the number of goals. Pay attention to the fact that, aside from Gameiro being benched in PSG for the spring season, Rémy, Gignac, Lisandro, Oliech, Pujol, Maiga and Hoarau spent a large part of season injured, Sow left the league half way through. If you take the top 20 list, only the top 4 played more than 3000 minutes, and only 6 of the rest passed 2500 minutes and 8 of the strikers played less than that, many less than 2000 minutes and out of those who played more, Briand mostly played on midfield. Just one season earlier the first midfielder was 10th on the list.

Well, that was just to point out that Like_A_Boas doesn't know anything about proving a point. He proved precisely nothing. However, it is also absolutely clear that he knows nothing about what he is talking about here. Nothing. You don't need fingers to count his good points these last pages, because there are none.

First of all' date=' Ménez is the most important player of PSG's attack and was so the last season as well. Nenê was much overrated last season, had someone else taken the penalties his tally would not have been considerable. He took a lot of long shots, yet did he score a one? Yeah, I think one free kick, or two? But none of his in play long shots. However, he far from being pushed out of the squad, most assists in Ligue 1 this season after the double in Bastia match and clearly still in Ancelotti's plans. The one good thing about Ancelotti is that he is big enough name to be above the egos of the players and can play anybody who fits to his ideas. E.g. Jallet the captain. Leo was probably about to offload the guy and buy some has-been in his place before that. Had Gameiro, for example, taken the penalties for PSG, he would have (had he converted them) scored some 14 or 15 goals during autumn alone and would most probably not have been benched at spring. Take out the penalties and Nenê scored 2 more goals than Gameiro, while playing some 800 minutes more. Easy as that.

Using stats is good only if you are careful with them. Even the stats I refer to above are far from giving us sufficient detail to value these players, let alone the GK's they encountered, but staring to one superficial statistic alone is never good.

For example, doesn't the stats go that Giroud has thus far managed 0 shots on target in EPL? It is not because of the "good" GK's EPL that he is not scoring. Not even "good" defences, as he has got his chances. It is that he has missed the target. You could put it the other way round: how many saves have the EPL GK's got against Giroud? Just as informative.

And well, we can always compare: Mirallas, 123 matches in Ligue 1, mostly as a striker, scoring 13 goals. In EPL, so far as a winger he has scored 1 goal in 4 matches. Papiss Cissé never managed to score in Ligue 1 and wasn't massive in Ligue 2 either. So perhaps EPL GK's are not match to Ligue 2 ones?

The point is, Like_A_Boas has a lot to learn about what it means to prove a point.

We could pick further weak points in his "reasoning" (that is so lousy that I'm not sure it should be counted as reasoning in the first place): there is no reason why goals should be scored precisely by striker and not AM. In the modern football players are not tied to so restricted roles, and for example, Giroud played a huge role in making the plays for Montpellier, while playing as the lonely striker. You ask then why the scorer was not a striker, if the team plays with only a one and this particular striker is used for creating the chances?

I let you do the math on that one, but to understand why there were so few strikers in top 5 or even top 10 of Ligue 1 scorers last season, you should go at least a bit deeper in stats than just looking at the number of goals. Pay attention to the fact that, aside from Gameiro being benched in PSG for the spring season, Rémy, Gignac, Lisandro, Oliech, Pujol, Maiga and Hoarau spent a large part of season injured, Sow left the league half way through. If you take the top 20 list, only the top 4 played more than 3000 minutes, and only 6 of the rest passed 2500 minutes and 8 of the strikers played less than that, many less than 2000 minutes and out of those who played more, Briand mostly played on midfield. Just one season earlier the first midfielder was 10th on the list.

Well, that was just to point out that Like_A_Boas doesn't know anything about proving a point. He proved precisely nothing. However, it is also absolutely clear that he knows nothing about what he is talking about here. Nothing. You don't need fingers to count his good points these last pages, because there are none.[/quote']

Just because you post an essay doesn't make you correct Didi. Fact of the matter is, you're more knowledgeable with French football than me. I am far more knowledgeable than you in knowing what is going on with my club and the players. I see them in the flesh every single weekend, you see a few clips on the internet at best.

Lets leave it at that, I have no will to argue with you about Lloris when it has been TWO games.