Official Tottenham Hotspur Thread

Re: The Official Tottenham Hotspur Thread

What did he have to appeal for? An indirect free kick on the sideline 30 yards out? It's a horrible dive IMO and he's getting a reputation for it which disappoints me. He's above that.

A card (potentially red) for the keeper.

Bale gets kicked all over every single week. I'm not surprised nor disappointed of Bale trying to save himself from more dreadful injuries

• Replies 6.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Re: The Official Tottenham Hotspur Thread This was tweeted and after 3 minutes, it was removed.

A card (potentially red) for the keeper.

Bale gets kicked all over every single week. I'm not surprised nor disappointed of Bale trying to save himself from more dreadful injuries

Appealing for a card to be given is bad form though. If the dive were good enough, that alone would be enough to land Guzan in trouble. As it is, Bale should definitely have received a yellow as there are far easier ways of avoiding a tackle than throwing yourself onto the floor. You can't seriously believe he's not trying to get Guzan in trouble do you?

Put it this way, had the referee been 'conned' and goes towards Guzan pulling out his cards, would Bale go up to him and say "He didn't touch me, I was just getting out of the way of the kick I expected"? Would he hell.

Appealing for a card to be given is bad form though. If the dive were good enough' date=' that alone would be enough to land Guzan in trouble. As it is, Bale should definitely have received a yellow as there are far easier ways of avoiding a tackle than throwing yourself onto the floor. You can't seriously believe he's not trying to get Guzan in trouble do you?

Put it this way, had the referee been 'conned' and goes towards Guzan pulling out his cards, would Bale go up to him and say "He didn't touch me, I was just getting out of the way of the kick I expected"? Would he hell.[/quote']

You don't know that. Maybe he searched for a red card to Guzan, but it's impossible to tell, there are other plausible reasons for his dive. Look at how Guzan comes to that situation. It looks like they are going to collide, like he is going to kick Bale right to his ankle, but then he suddenly stops the movement. Maybe he stopped as he saw that Bale is diving to avoid the contact, but if Bale just reacted to Guzan's tackle that he anticipated, for good reasons, what else could he have done except to throw himself to the ground?

Options are to jump, stop moving altogether or ignore Guzan. The last two would see his ankles broken if the tackle comes, and by jumping he would probably lose the ball just as badly as by diving and falling to the ground signals the foul better. It only looks awkward because in the end Guzan did not make any tackle.

But basically, even if the ball carrier manages to avoid the tackle, it is a foul if he loses the ball because of dodging a dangerous tackle. And only because Guzan suddenly decides to just threaten instead of tackling it would be kind of difficult to give a red card here. But it's not as if Bale had done anything wrong either. Or if he did, it is not evident in the video.

You don't know that. Maybe he searched for a red card to Guzan' date=' but it's impossible to tell, there are other plausible reasons for his dive. Look at how Guzan comes to that situation. It looks like they are going to collide, like he is going to kick Bale right to his ankle, but then he suddenly stops the movement. Maybe he stopped as he saw that Bale is diving to avoid the contact, but if Bale just reacted to Guzan's tackle that he anticipated, for good reasons, what else could he have done except to throw himself to the ground?

Options are to jump, stop moving altogether or ignore Guzan. The last two would see his ankles broken if the tackle comes, and by jumping he would probably lose the ball just as badly as by diving and falling to the ground signals the foul better. It only looks awkward because in the end Guzan did not make any tackle.

But basically, even if the ball carrier manages to avoid the tackle, it is a foul if he loses the ball because of dodging a dangerous tackle. And only because Guzan suddenly decides to just threaten instead of tackling it would be kind of difficult to give a red card here. But it's not as if Bale had done anything wrong either. Or if he did, it is not evident in the video.[/quote']

going by that clip and the footage on the TV, if Bale had carried on just running in the direction he was running the GK would not have touched him, he was moving too fast and the GK never really got that close.

I think you can tell from his movement he was diving, its not as if Bale isnt a known diver in the EPL anyways.

Weather he just ran past, or even jumped he would not have got close to the GK, he would have gone right by.

going by that clip and the footage on the TV' date=' if Bale had carried on just running in the direction he was running the GK would not have touched him, he was moving too fast and the GK never really got that close.

I think you can tell from his movement he was diving, its not as if Bale isnt a known diver in the EPL anyways.

Weather he just ran past, or even jumped he would not have got close to the GK, he would have gone right by.[/quote']

Live in the ground you could quite clearly see Guzan would of got Bale IF he made the challenge which he clearly didn't.

Bale isn't a diver. Goes down easily yes but he certainly isn't a diver or a cheat.

You don't know that. Maybe he searched for a red card to Guzan' date=' but it's impossible to tell, there are other plausible reasons for his dive. Look at how Guzan comes to that situation. It looks like they are going to collide, like he is going to kick Bale right to his ankle, but then he suddenly stops the movement. Maybe he stopped as he saw that Bale is diving to avoid the contact, but if Bale just reacted to Guzan's tackle that he anticipated, for good reasons, what else could he have done except to throw himself to the ground?

But basically, even if the ball carrier manages to avoid the tackle, it is a foul if he loses the ball because of dodging a dangerous tackle. And only because Guzan suddenly decides to just threaten instead of tackling it would be kind of difficult to give a red card here. But it's not as if Bale had done anything wrong either. Or if he did, it is not evident in the video.[/quote']

If you want to jump out of the way of a tackle, it is completely unnatural to dive onto your stomach as Bale did.

Besides, as Neller said, he's miles ahead of Guzan in the race for the ball.

He fell onto his side which inturn turned to his stomach.

My point is you don't go down. You try and hurdle the challenge as you're much less likely to get kicked if you're in the air than on the floor.

He goes over because he's trying to make the most out of the contact he expects to get to get Guzan sent off.

Do you think he'd have told the ref not to send Guzan off if the referee was duped?

My point is you don't go down. You try and hurdle the challenge as you're much less likely to get kicked if you're in the air than on the floor.

He goes over because he's trying to make the most out of the contact he expects to get to get Guzan sent off.

Do you think he'd have told the ref not to send Guzan off if the referee was duped?

No, course not. But what player would?

It's all fair and well being a romantic and saying this shouldn't be happening in football and that the players would be honest, but fact of the matter is that they wouldn't and going down easily is part of the game nowadays.

Last season was Bale's first season where he didn't get a serious injury due to being kicked every single week. I personally have no issue with my club's best players trying to protect themselves from being injured. I'll take the odd yellow card here and there over a 3 month injury any day of the week.

No' date=' course not. But what player would?

It's all fair and well being a romantic and saying this shouldn't be happening in football and that the players would be honest, but fact of the matter is that they wouldn't and going down easily is part of the game nowadays.

Last season was Bale's first season where he didn't get a serious injury due to being kicked every single week. I personally have no issue with my club's best players trying to protect themselves from being injured. I'll take the odd yellow card here and there over a 3 month injury any day of the week.[/quote']

Most players wouldn't go down under no contact. If he wouldn't step in to stop Guzan getting carded then that's as good as diving as he's benefiting from cheating.

Bale didn't just go down easily, he went down with absolutely no contact to try and cheat Villa down to 10 men.

The last part just shows that a yellow card (which doesn't get shown 90% of the time) isn't a sufficient punishment IMO.

Most players wouldn't go down under no contact. If he wouldn't step in to stop Guzan getting carded then that's as good as diving as he's benefiting from cheating.

Bale didn't just go down easily' date=' he went down with absolutely no contact to try and cheat Villa down to 10 men.

The last part just shows that a yellow card (which doesn't get shown 90% of the time) isn't a sufficient punishment IMO.[/quote']

He expected contact though, he was thinking ahead and was made to look stupid when Guzan pulled out.

Yes, but then you get into dangerous territory of what punishments are fair. Is it fair for someone to break someones leg and make them miss 6 months but only get a 3 game ban?

When football players are running in high speed and realize they are going to get violently stopped, it is the natural option for them to take a little leap and fall down in order to avoid their legs being broken. It is pretty much the only option. If they'd precisely "hurdle" they could get their legs caught in the air and fall even worse. It happens, but it is quite much the normal, safe option to dive. When they dive, the possible contact to their feet is less dangerous and they fall in a controlled manner. You see players do it all the time and it is all good and well. It is a way to avoid injury in a case of an illegitimate tackle.

I give you that it would have been better for Bale to take a higher leap forward instead of falling down in a Gerrardish manner - and that is looks much more suspicious this way. Now Bale just threw his legs to the direction he assumed Guzan's tackle to force them anyway and as a consequence fell on his side. But it doesn't yet say he wouldn't be avoiding the contact: now he moved his legs away from the tackle and definitely avoided them having any weight or pressure on them during the probable contact. I think there is at least a fair possibility that he honestly just wanted to save his legs and it only looked stupid because Guzan never made the tackle.

I would not make a guess about whether Bale would have told the ref to not to send Guzan off. Especially as he could have felt that it was the right decision.

He expected contact though' date=' he was thinking ahead and was made to look stupid when Guzan pulled out.

Yes, but then you get into dangerous territory of what punishments are fair. Is it fair for someone to break someones leg and make them miss 6 months but only get a 3 game ban?[/quote']

You don't need to go down as he did if you expect contact. You ever heard of hurdling a tackle?

You can break someone's leg in a fair tackle. I don't think De Jong's on Ben Arfa was given as a foul. Even Shawcross on Ramsey; the leg break came because Ramsey's ankle/leg turned in the turf, not the force of the challenge.

I'd really really like diving to be stamped out of the game as it's, quite simply, cheating. We need retrospective punishments that increase in severity the more times the individual dives.

You don't need to go down as he did if you expect contact. You ever heard of hurdling a tackle?

You can break someone's leg in a fair tackle. I don't think De Jong's on Ben Arfa was given as a foul. Even Shawcross on Ramsey; the leg break came because Ramsey's ankle/leg turned in the turf' date=' not the force of the challenge.

[i']I'd really really like diving to be stamped out of the game as it's, quite simply, cheating[/i]. We need retrospective punishments that increase in severity the more times the individual dives.

1. Wasn't given as a foul, but was a foul, no doubt. Referees make mistakes. De Jong not only got the ball, he got Ben Arfa's leg between scissors making it sure that it breaks. That is not bad luck as some people claim, it is extremely dangerous tackling.

2. More than that, we must get rid of the dangerous tackles. A huge amount of dives are not cheating, but avoiding injury. I want the unnecessary dives out of the game too and think the best option would be video refereeing, but it would be simply cruel, stupid and against the spirit of the game to start to punish players for dodging illegal tackles.

I know things are going well for us when Cheeky is nowhere to be seen and Didi isn't upset about Hugo :P

Hah. I read this as I supposed it to be about the Bale incident. Very little has changed in Lloris' situation, and there's little use in repeating the same old. According to AVB this is "rotation". Which means that next matches will be played by Friedel, most probably. The positive scenario is that this is a way to change the starting GK smoothly. As lloris starts every second match it becomes obvious that Friedel is no match to him and eventually Lloris takes the no. 1 spot before Christmas.

But just because he gets to play doesn't mean it is all good again. His situation would no longer be the worst possible, but it would still be more bad than good.

Hah. I read this as I supposed it to be about the Bale incident. Very little has changed in Lloris' situation' date=' and there's little use in repeating the same old. According to AVB this is "rotation". Which means that next matches will be played by Friedel, most probably. The positive scenario is that this is a way to change the starting GK smoothly. As lloris starts every second match it becomes obvious that Friedel is no match to him and eventually Lloris takes the no. 1 spot before Christmas.

But just because he gets to play doesn't mean it is all good again. His situation would no longer be the worst possible, but it would still be more bad than good.[/quote']

I'm pretty confident bar any misshaps, Hugo will start v Chelsea in 2 weeks.

Some nice comments from Andre on Andros Townsend;

“He’s been coming in in the last couple of games and to be fair in the games he has played he has made quite the difference in terms of his contribution to the team,”

“Obviously he competes against the best players in the world with Gareth Bale and Aaron Lennon, and Clint Dempsey can play in the channels too.

“It’s difficult competition but I go back to what I always say – if a player so young like this triumphs over players of this dimension then the future is his.”

Monsieur Hugo;

"There are four keepers at a high level, the coach makes his choices, I have just been hired as part of the future project, but that project starts now. The relationship with Brad Friedel, the keepers' coach and manger are very good.

"I have not signed at Tottenham to play that [substitute] role, but I am at the disposal of the team, I respect everyone, but I came to play.

"Do I have guaranties for the future? No, I have not. The coach will make his choices. I just came in a new club so I am not here to create trouble, but rather to bring solutions."

"To me it was an important choice, a new adventure, a new culture. Indeed I expected to leave [France] much earlier, but you cannot master that as a player," he said.

"I came at the last minute and a team was already set. I came to improve. Indeed, I have a status in France but I will have to show it when I will have the opportunity to play, and I think everything will go back to normal soon.

"When you came in a new universe, you have to prove yourself and that is logical. Things will come naturally, I won't force them. I expected that, because England remains a specific culture. Englishmen want to see you play on their pitches before judging you. But that questioning is fine to me."

Got to say, AVB has recently vanquished my doubts of around a month ago. You're winning games and the squad seems really happy.

Makes you wonder why it didn't work for him at Chelsea. Maybe the top players weren't prepared to be dropped if their form tailed whereas the current Spurs crop seem to either understand or just work far better as a squad.

Got to say' date=' AVB has recently vanquished my doubts of around a month ago. You're winning games and the squad seems really happy.

Makes you wonder why it didn't work for him at Chelsea. Maybe the top players weren't prepared to be dropped if their form tailed whereas the current Spurs crop seem to either understand or just work far better as a squad.[/quote']

As far as im concerned, Harry was always a short term option and he ended up doing alot better than Daniel expected. However with the players and tactics it was always the short term that Harry looked to (which IMO is arguably his biggest weakness) and although the 11 players on the pitch were happy and enjoying themselves, everyone else at the club wasn't. It was quite well known to the forum supporters that Harry did training twice a week and the rest of it was taken by Sherwood or others. Players felt like they weren't being coached, just managed. Pretty much all of our players didn't improve whilst Harry was in charge. There are a few like Bale (that Harry got lucky with, if BAE didn't get injured Bale would of been sold to Notts Forest) but most of the young players improved due to spells on loan where they got coached properly like Walker, Caulker, Townsend and inevitably Kane when he gets back (Orient and Millwall loans).

Andre has come in and taken everything seriously and given everyone a chance. You see all the young players praising him as he coaches them all and wants to improve them all. You can already see the improvements in Defoe (used to be offside at least 10 times a game, now barely offside) and the young players seem to be striving forward. Even Bentley and Jenas were given early chances and were then given loans to help them out. Tactics was never an issue with Andre.

I have never ever experienced such a disgusting witch hunt from the press as they do for AVB.

I knew from the get go that Andre would be a success and the treatment he recieved from Chelsea was borderline laughable. However I must be thankful to them, they paid his £15m release clause and now we are recieving the benefits.

Monsieur Hugo;

"There are four keepers at a high level' date=' the coach makes his choices, I have just been hired as part of the future project, but that project starts now. The relationship with Brad Friedel, the keepers' coach and manger are very good.

"I have not signed at Tottenham to play that [substitute'] role, but I am at the disposal of the team, I respect everyone, but I came to play.

"Do I have guaranties for the future? No, I have not. The coach will make his choices. I just came in a new club so I am not here to create trouble, but rather to bring solutions."

"To me it was an important choice, a new adventure, a new culture. Indeed I expected to leave [France] much earlier, but you cannot master that as a player," he said.

"I came at the last minute and a team was already set. I came to improve. Indeed, I have a status in France but I will have to show it when I will have the opportunity to play, and I think everything will go back to normal soon.

"When you came in a new universe, you have to prove yourself and that is logical. Things will come naturally, I won't force them. I expected that, because England remains a specific culture. Englishmen want to see you play on their pitches before judging you. But that questioning is fine to me."

Hugo Lloris is the master of la langue de bois. That's one of the reasons why he is the captain. Always soooooo polite, keeps the perfect appearance. After his football career he would make a great career in politics or public relations. You could hide a civil war behind him, he'd bore the journalists to sleep before they knew what happened. He keeps all the press-conferences the boss wants without ever saying anything. Like now, I suppose that's a translation of the recent interview with L'Équipe, but it is all the same that he already said last month.

...Except the part "that project starts now". I don't remember hearing that one before, maybe because that was not the case before (apparently was not). That's interesting. So, if that is AVB's vision of the project as well, then presumably Lloris starts the next match, or is Friedel the no. 1 in the future project as well?

As far as im concerned' date=' Harry was always a short term option and he ended up doing alot better than Daniel expected. However with the players and tactics it was always the short term that Harry looked to (which IMO is arguably his biggest weakness) and although the 11 players on the pitch were happy and enjoying themselves, everyone else at the club wasn't. It was quite well known to the forum supporters that Harry did training twice a week and the rest of it was taken by Sherwood or others. Players felt like they weren't being coached, just managed. Pretty much all of our players didn't improve whilst Harry was in charge. There are a few like Bale (that Harry got lucky with, if BAE didn't get injured Bale would of been sold to Notts Forest) but most of the young players improved due to spells on loan where they got coached properly like Walker, Caulker, Townsend and inevitably Kane when he gets back (Orient and Millwall loans).

Andre has come in and taken everything seriously and given everyone a chance. You see all the young players praising him as he coaches them all and wants to improve them all. You can already see the improvements in Defoe (used to be offside at least 10 times a game, now barely offside) and the young players seem to be striving forward. Even Bentley and Jenas were given early chances and were then given loans to help them out. Tactics was never an issue with Andre.

I have never ever experienced such a disgusting witch hunt from the press as they do for AVB.

I knew from the get go that Andre would be a success and the treatment he recieved from Chelsea was borderline laughable. However I must be thankful to them, they paid his £15m release clause and now we are recieving the benefits.[/quote']

Don't think I've ever disagreed with your opinions/takes on our situations, the above post is no exception. Couldn't have put it better myself.