Official Tottenham Hotspur Thread

ian neller

Re: The Official Tottenham Hotspur Thread

I would like to say a massive well done and thank you to spurs for beating city. I used to like city but now I hate them after the Lescott ordeal last summer. I hope that Everton can do what spurs did this season a have no European distractions so they can concentrate on domestic issues. So well done.

Also heard that Spurs what pienaar and want to do a cash+keane bid for him

UEFA do it differently now so it gives the smaller sides who actually won their league a chance to make the group stages.

You have a Champions path where this season the likes of RB Salzburg' date=' Olympiakos, Debrecen and Zurich were in.

And you have a non champions section for the main countries which this season had Arsenal v Celtic, Lyon v Anderlecht, Sporting v Fiorentina and Panathinaikos v Atletico Madrid.

[b']So Spurs will face a side from a bigger league[/b]. They might get lucky and get Celtic or a side from Greece but they could just as easily get Lyon or Sevilla.

Dosen't that depend entirely on whether Spurs are seeded or not?

Dosen't that depend entirely on whether Spurs are seeded or not?

I don't think so. Champions of smaller nations in one pot, 2nd, 3rd or 4th placed teams of more developed leagues in another and you can only be drawn against someone from your own pot.

That was last years format anyway, can't say I know whether they're persisting with it.

Presuming Spurs don't finish 3rd will Spurs be seeded for the qualifying?

As far as I know not being seeded will make Spurs play the lesser sides' date=' being seeded they might well have to face a Palermo or Sevilla or a Bremen?[/quote']

Yeah, it was on SSN this morning about who they could get, they could face Lyon, Sevilla, Sampdoria, Breman, Ajax, Zenit or Celtic.

In fear of breaking up a conversation here, I wanna do Tottenham ratings :P

Note: This is not predictions, It's what I'd give them if I was to rate them.

Rise

May rise

Stay

May drop

Drop

Gomes 90 - 91

Cudicini 87 - 86

Assou-Ekotto 88 - 89

Bale 87 - 89

Corluka 91 - 91/90

Walker 82 - 83/84/85

Woodgate - 89 - 88

King 89 - 89

Bassong 88 - 88

Dawson 87 - 89

Kaboul 86 - 87/88

Kranjcar 90 - 90

Bentley 88 - 88/89

Palacios 89 - 89/90

Jenas 89 - 88

Huddlestone 88 - 89/90

Modric 91 - 91/92

Gudjohnsen 89 - 89

Lennon 90 - 90/91

Defoe 91 - 91

Pavlyuchenko 90 - 90

Crouch 90 - 90

LOAN WATCH:

Hutton 88 - 88

Naughton 85 - 85

O'Hara 86 - 86

Taarabt 84 - 84

Keane 91 - 90/89

Giovani d.S 86 - 87

How would you rate them?

• 4 weeks later...

Heart was in my mouth when someone said to me yesterday "Modric has signed a new contract with...." (long pause) "...Spurs".

Harry seems to be trying to tie down his squad with new contracts which is great news for Spurs fans but perhaps not so for Levy paying the wages!

I hope that the new contract puts Man Utd off. It's a shame that contracts are so meaningless these days so I will not feel completely safe about our best players until the new season starts!

On a side note, can't believe Capello did not bother to give Dawson a single minute's run out for England.

Liverpool are planning a shock move for Tottenham manager Harry Redknapp, Sky Sports sources understand.

The Anfield outfit are searching for a new man at the helm after Rafa Benitez's six-year reign was brought to an end by mutual consent on Thursday.

And Spurs boss Redknapp has emerged as a leading contender for the Reds hierarchy as they aim to bring stability back to Merseyside.

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11661_6192473,00.html

Do you think he would leave for a so called 'bigger job' or stay with Spurs?

• 1 month later...

Harry has signed a contract extension till 2013. That's him tied down nicely for a while.

Pre season games coming up are:

Kick-off our match schedule in the States against the Earthquakes in San Jose on Saturday 17th, kick-off 1pm local time (9pm UK).

We then face New York Red Bulls in the Barclays New York Challenge on on Thursday week, July 22, kick-off 8pm local time (1am July 23, UK time) and then Sporting Lisbon on Sunday week, July 25, kick-off 1pm local time (6pm UK time).

MLS outfit New York Red Bulls could be showing off new signing Thierry Henry and also boast ex-Aston Villa striker Juan Pablo Angel in their squad, while Sporting's first team includes ex-Spurs players Pedro Mendes and Helder Postiga alongside fellow Portuguese internationals Joao Moutinho and Miguel Veloso.

Villarreal at the Lane on Thursday 29th July

We then have an encounter with Benfica in Lisbon on August 3.

Away to Benfica on the 3rd August (Tuesday)

Last pre season game is Fiorentina playing at White Heart Lane on the 7th Saturday August.

Start our premier campaign at home against a newly reinforced and big spending Man City on Sat 14th... followed by what 'should' be a fairly straight forward and easy run off games vs, Stoke City, Wigan Athletic, West Brom, Wolves and West Ham before playing Aston Villa.

Source from tottenhamhotspur.com

Awesome Spurs video' date=' should be watched by all.

[YOUTUBE']0tZ6AleCouk[/YOUTUBE]

Should be shown to the Spurs team before every match, shows the grit and guile that Spurs have and they look like they were really enjoying themselves.

No need for a team talk Harry, just tell 'em to do it all again!

• 2 weeks later...

I think Tottenham will finish 5th/6th this season, I can't see them repeating what they did last season and getting 4th again. As for the CL, I think they'll get to the group stages/last 16.

Anyway, Redknapp said he wanted to bring in three more signings. I think he wants a W/AM seen as how he was interested in Cole and Milner. I wouldn't be surprised if they went for Ozil, or Elia. I think he also wants another striker to add competition, someone who he can get for a fairly cheap price and still get a couple of decent seasons out of, like when he signed Gudjohnsen on loan last season. If they can't make the Gudjohnsen deal permenant, I think he'll go for Bellamy, although I hope we wouldn't sell anyone to Spurs. Lastly, I think he wants a GK and that is likely to be Pletikosa it seems.

In terms of matches, Spurs lost 4-1 tonight to Villareal (A hattrick for Rossi and a goal by Marco Ruben) but interestingly Dos Santos scored for Spurs, and apparently he had a decent game. He had quite a good World Cup as well and so I wouldn't be surprised if he forced his way back into the Spurs first team and made a name for himself :). If he does, then I don't think Redknapp will have any need to look at people like Milner.

Who are the four/five teams you see finishing ahead of Spurs?

I think City are going to be up there, but it depends how quick they gel. I think there is a risk of Liverpool having another bad season. I am not sure on Arsenal this season either although that might just be rivalry talking! Chelsea remain strong as do Man Utd so its hard to see them not filling up the spots.

I think Spurs are a young and growing side and that they should do well again; Harry is still at a fairly early stage of his tenure too so I think Spurs can be fairly optimistic. Why do you think they will not repeat last season's achievements?

I think we are in need of a defender more than anything else. Woodgate looks to be a long way from playing, and Ledley has had little in the way of a pre-season. That leaves us a bit thin at the centre of defense. Personally I think we need a winger but I cannot imagine Milner or Young joining us despite the crazy offers being touted. Our attempts to sign Parker confuse me a bit to be honest, as we seem well covered there, but I would like to see him join if only because it might signal the end for Jenas!

I really hope you are right about Dos Santos coming good, but whenever I see him play he doesn't look like he wants to be at the club. Maybe Europe will inspire him to perform.

I am interested to see what "bargains" are out there that Harry believes exists. I wondered if Raul might be one of them, but he has gone to Schalke now. I can't help but think that despite having Defoe, Crouch, Keane, and Pavlyuchenko that Harry might be after a forward; it seems pretty clear from interviews that he is not a big super-Pav fan.

Who are the four/five teams you see finishing ahead of Spurs?

I think City are going to be up there' date=' but it depends how quick they gel. I think there is a risk of Liverpool having another bad season. I am not sure on Arsenal this season either although that might just be rivalry talking! Chelsea remain strong as do Man Utd so its hard to see them not filling up the spots.[/quote']

Chelsea, United, City, Arsenal (sorry) and possibly Liverpool. I just think Arsenal have that bit extra quality above you and also they know how to win, and have the experience of being at the top. When Wenger's sides are under pressure, they respond, and thats what they'll do if Spurs challenge them for 3rd/4th.

City, I think also have slightly better players, a slightly better manager and also there is a massive desire to make up for what happened last season. However, you do have better depth than both us and Arsenal.

But, I can see Tottenham dropping points at places the other teams won't, because of things like the CL, fatigue, and pressure. This season will be a learning curve to Spurs, with playing in the CL.

I think Spurs are a young and growing side and that they should do well again; Harry is still at a fairly early stage of his tenure too so I think Spurs can be fairly optimistic. Why do you think they will not repeat last season's achievements?

Because for a start there are more games to play' date=' and I think Spurs may get a little too focused and excited about playing in the CL and their league form may dip a bit, there may also be problems with fatigue because of the extra games. Lastly, they have to deal with the added weight and expectation now they have broken the top four.

I think we are in need of a defender more than anything else. Woodgate looks to be a long way from playing, and Ledley has had little in the way of a pre-season. That leaves us a bit thin at the centre of defense. Personally I think we need a winger but I cannot imagine Milner or Young joining us despite the crazy offers being touted. Our attempts to sign Parker confuse me a bit to be honest, as we seem well covered there, but I would like to see him join if only because it might signal the end for Jenas!

I really hope you are right about Dos Santos coming good, but whenever I see him play he doesn't look like he wants to be at the club. Maybe Europe will inspire him to perform.

A defender? You have two good RB'S - Corluka and Hutton, two terrific centre backs in King and Dawson, with Woodgate and Bassong providing more than adequete cover. You've also got young Steven Caulker who I reckon will get a few games. Lastly, at LB, you've got B.A.E who is quite versatile and someone who really wants to do well, and an improving Bale of course. If you get a defender, I think it will be only be a cheap one, someone who would provide good cover and maybe start around half the games, someone experienced and the sort of player who can be a "bargain".

As for Dos Santos, he's got a second chance and he may be eager to make the most of that, and show the PL and everyone that he can do it in England and that he can be the great player people thought he had the potential to be, and that he isn't a flop or letdown. Also, the WC will have given him extra confidence. He's in a similar situation to Robinho in some ways.

• 3 weeks later...

Not that entirely bothered by our draw to be honest. Sure, there were easier groups, were we could have avoided abit less scrappy fixtures, but in-all we'll go out playing like any team should really - like we have nothing to lose, which in all senses we don't really. We have depth in our squad, talent, to the point where in my opinion we can match Werder and Twente. Obviously Inter will be the stand-out, but the pressure will be on them to get the result, if 'Arry plays things sound tactically, I think we can move on, here's to hoping for the best!

spurs-logo.gif

THFC NEWS

So here's the scoop on Tottenham today:

RUMOURS:

"Tottenham are in talks with AC Milan over bringing Dutch striker Klaas-Jan Huntelaar to White Hart Lane on a season-long loan deal. The move will include the option to buy at the end of the spell, with the sum of £12m thought to be the asking price."

Once again being linked with Huntelaar. Find this hard to believe with already 2 towering forwards in the squad in Pav and Crouch. I know 'Arry has said, chances of him spending aren't that likely and he is looking for loan deals as his main priority, but I wouldn't bring someone on just for the sake of having the lad (which would seem to be the typical Man Citeh style :rolleyes:). He could maybe cover for injury, or if a forward, like Keano (who has been linked with a loan move away for the season/perm deal) does indeed go.

"Newcastle and West Ham are keen on signing Tottenham striker Robbie Keane on loan before the transfer window shuts on Tuesday."

Good luck with that one...

INJURIES:

"Heurelho Gomes has joined Luka Modric on the sidelines for Saturday's match against Wigan in the Barclays Premier League.

Harry Redknapp confirmed on Friday morning that both players will miss out with their respective groin injuries."

Bit of a blow there... in my opinion, will miss Gomes more than Modric on the night, as he's been stellar in goal, plus we've got plenty of back-up to cover Modric, with the sensational - NIKO KRANJCAR! Either CC or Alnwick will start in goal.

Reports suggest your gonna make a move for Ashley Young.

Christ we need a manager!!!

Either to flat reject your enquiry and add a bit of stablility to our club or to accept and get bloody spending !

Glad you in the CL btw! will be refreshing watching you in it.