• Replies 6.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Re: The Official Tottenham Hotspur Thread

Re: The Official Tottenham Hotspur Thread This was tweeted and after 3 minutes, it was removed.

Barcelona 1 - 4 Tottenham Hotspur (Next Gen Series)

Great result for you guys bodes well for the future when you can play Barcelona's excellent youngsters off the pitch.

We beat Newcastle 6-0 at the weekend also. However I personally wouldn't take much note.

Bar Pritchard, Bentaleb and Veljkovic the talent isn't really there. Coulthirst especially who got a hat-trick tonight is just an athlete.

Pritchard however is a very very special talent.

Way to ease Lloris into the PL game. Start him in the north london derby. hahaha AVB is a muppet' date=' no offence[/quote']

Could say the same about Wenger, although this isn't Szczesny's 1st derby...

Once szczesny has returned from injury and shoved back into the 11 straight away he's extremely bad..

Managerial reaction from the day's Premier League matches' date=' with Andre Villas-Boas claiming Tottenham "controlled" the match in a 5-2 defeat to Arsenal.

Hahaha, controlled it alright[/quote']

You just don't understand his genius. The game went according to his plan, it just "obviously" was always his cunning secret plan to lose the derby 5-2. We mortals just cannot understand the divine mastermind that is AVB.:D

Okay, but seriously, in certain sense he has a point. How to put it is that it was not your tactical choices that defined the way the game was played, but those of AVB. So, in a way, it was Spurs who were in the drivers seat, it's just that they steered to the ditch.

Your zonal marking was exploited early on, as Spurs have two very different strikers and were able to choose the duels, putting Adebayor against Kos and Defoe against Per, particularly Per being in trouble because of that. In a man marking system you would have of course been able to decide that Per plays against Ade, so in a sense they controlled this aspect of the game. Another is that their high defence line forced Giroud and Cazorla to play deep. I don't think you planned to have players in such a small space when having the ball, it would be counter-intuitive. The field wa made very small whenever you got the ball, and that was due to Spurs way of playing.

Maybe one decisive choice of yours was to let Walcott stay high. Cazorla and Giroud dropped very deep, average positions almost in the mid circle (apparently more forced by their high defence line than an actual tactical choice), while Walcott didn't take part in defence at all and never came down low to get the ball (which was a very good idea), and was averagely positioned almost in the box. Averagely. That's extremely high. I don't remember when I last time saw a player playing that high on the pitch.

Meanwhile this could also have been caused naturally by the Spurs' left flank being clearly the weaker one defence wise. Bale attacked pretty much as a wing forward, having for the main defensive duty to keep Sagna from rising; and that left only the quite poos Naughton to defend against Walcott. This made it an obvious choice to open the defence by playing through balls to Walcott on right. I think a good sign of how bad Naughton was is that he only had 11 touches to ball. Even if he only played one half, the lateral defenders tend to see a lot of ball. Compare to Walker, substituted at the same time, who had 35 touches. And this while Arsenal had 53% of attacks on Naughton's flank. Very clearly, he just was too easy to pass by.

However, I think it was your plan from the beginning, because Walcott only has played deep against Schalke when you were 2 goals up, while against Fulham his positioning was similar though not as extreme as it was against Spurs. So, in the end, that was one thing they did not control, and it opened their defence in the middle as well, dragging Verthongen down left to battle with Walcott, giving room for Giroud and Cazorla in and around the box. Eventually, these two were your most dangerous players, but Walcott's high positioning largely caused it.

Lloris did very well last night, but then you expect that from a world class keeper such as himself. I hope he keeps his place & starts forming a solid understanding with our boys at the back.

I think our current plight highlights the need for us to have better cover at left back. Naughton isn't cutting it for me, but given his age he has time to improve. Regardless, laments the fact that we need better cover to push BAE.

Was very impressed with Carroll last night. He always showed for the ball & his use of it was top drawer (only saw the 1st half mind). His through ball for Bale's "goal" was fantastic.

Really hope we beat West Ham this weekend, pressure may mount more of AVB otherwise.