Sign in to follow this  
ian neller

Official Tottenham Hotspur Thread

Re: The Official Tottenham Hotspur Thread

Two brilliant free kicks' date=' [b']first one was sensational[/b], needs to show this level of consistency for alteast a year though to be classed anywhere near Ronaldo.

How come the first one was sensational? Had Aulas not sold Lloris, it would definitely not have been a goal. A quite weak and easy to save free kick conceded by a GK that can be described as "barely okay". And in that particular situation he was shocking, it was not even as if the ball had bounced over him, but he just was late of the save, which is inexcusable when the shot comes that slow from that far distance. I bet that's what the Bale laughed about after the goal, even AVB looked surprised that it got in.

The second was much better, although I'm sure Lloris would have saved that as well. That's what you get when you sell a world class GK and don't replace him. Vercourte does acceptably most of the time, but the truth that we have always known is that he is not a top level GK either and he costs OL points. And probably some titles by that.

Furthermore, on the first free kick you can add that there definitely was no foul on Dembelé. The ref was frustratingly biased. A clear penalty for Gomis left uncalled earlier. On video the foul was absolutely clear and that should have been seen by the ref too.

Note: tried to produce videos, but funnily none of the highlight videos have the claimed foul on Dembelé nor the foul on Gomis (well, at least none of the few first sites that I found). The English bias of the press is just amazing. Had the decisions been the other way around, the highlights as well as the press talk would largely focus on how wrong they went. Now it is barely just mentioned that OL had a good penalty call uncalled early on.

However, talking about wrongly given free kicks, you have to give it to Bale who has been much accused for diving (and in my opinion at least partially wrongly so) that he deserved his free kick. That was a pretty stupid and unneeded foul, but a foul nevertheless.

I generally liked the match, and it was interesting to watch a full match of Bale for a change, because I hardly watch Spurs games on EPL (just a pretty boring team to my mind). Your attack sometimes seemed to be just Bale and nothing else, your other players hardly produced shots at all. But how much of that was because of him being actually good, and how much because of him just selfishly shooting at sight? Because in the end, he didn't produce anything else than a bunch of hasty long shots, and his in-play shots produced no real threat at all, rather they just ended your attacks. What else did he do? He fumbled one clear-cut chance that he got and lost the ball every single time he tried to dribble an opponent. So, I question this immense praise of his performance, because to me that is not a great performance. Now he got away with it because of two rather easily conceded goals, but if he plays like that usually, he certainly is not there with the best players - and if you would get some tens of millions for him, I'd say just sell him while you can.

How come the first one was sensational? Had Aulas not sold Lloris' date=' it would definitely not have been a goa[/b']l. A quite weak and easy to save free kick conceded by a GK that can be described as "barely okay". And in that particular situation he was shocking, it was not even as if the ball had bounced over him, but he just was late of the save, which is inexcusable when the shot comes that slow from that far distance. I bet that's what the Bale laughed about after the goal, even AVB looked surprised that it got in.

If Mr and Mrs Bale didn't have sex then it wouldn't of been a goal... :rolleyes:

Why talk about things that aren't valid?

Furthermore' date=' on the first free kick you can add that there definitely was no foul on Dembelé. The ref was frustratingly biased. A clear penalty for Gomis left uncalled earlier. On video the foul was absolutely clear and that should have been seen by the ref too.

Note: tried to produce videos, but funnily none of the highlight videos have the claimed foul on Dembelé nor the foul on Gomis (well, at least none of the few first sites that I found). The English bias of the press is just amazing. Had the decisions been the other way around, the highlights as well as the press talk would largely focus on how wrong they went. Now it is barely just mentioned that OL had a good penalty call uncalled early on.

However, talking about wrongly given free kicks, you have to give it to Bale who has been much accused for diving (and in my opinion at least partially wrongly so) that he deserved his free kick. That was a pretty stupid and unneeded foul, but a foul nevertheless.

[/quote']

Could talk about the cynical fouls, the clear time wasting and cheating from Lyon if you wish? If you wanna talk about diving then lets chat about Alexandre "airplane" Lacazette.

If Mr and Mrs Bale didn't have sex then it wouldn't of been a goal... :rolleyes:

Why talk about things that aren't valid?

You miss the point. I do not question the validity of the shot, but its greatness. It was lousy goalkeeping, and not so spectacular shot.

I see that you are a bit of nervous about your darling team, please calm down to take a more analytic approach to events. That way even you could produce some notices of interest for once.

You miss the point. I do not question the validity of the shot' date=' but its greatness. It was lousy goalkeeping, and not so spectacular shot.

I see that you are a bit of nervous about your darling team, please calm down to take a more analytic approach to events. That way even you could produce some notices of interest for once.[/quote']

You made a point about a goalkeeper who had been sold 6 months ago. Recalling back that far is just idiotic and equally as idiotic as my comment I made in sarcasm in return.

Not nervous at all and more than calm, we were awful last night and still managed to beat Lyon.

You made a point about a goalkeeper who had been sold 6 months ago. Recalling back that far is just idiotic and equally as idiotic as my comment I made in sarcasm in return.

Not nervous at all and more than calm' date=' we were awful last night and still managed to beat Lyon.[/quote']

Should of had a clean sheet as well was it not for an Umtiti absolute rocket!

I tell you something though, Holtby is going to be such a good player.

Should of had a clean sheet as well was it not for an Umtiti absolute rocket!

I tell you something though' date=' Holtby is going to be such a good player.[/quote']

Both teams were poor IMO, lots of possession nonsense in the middle of the park going sideways and not threatening.

Equally poised going into the second leg.

Lewis will be class providing we sign a striker who knows how to move.

Thought this was a brilliant article;

Modern Villas-Boas making Tottenham his own

The Portuguese coach's impact on the Spurs squad has perhaps been overshadowed by the form of Gareth Bale as the Londoners target a top four finish and Europa League glory

Andre Villas-Boas is from the breed of modern, progressive managers who combine science and instinct, research and preparation to get the best results in a sport played by finely tuned athletes and increasingly determined by small percentages.

When Tottenham chairman Daniel Levy took the controversial decision to sack Harry Redknapp in the summer, he wanted a new manager in keeping with the club's shiny new £40 million training centre.

He decided that man was Villas-Boas and so far the Portuguese has, with little fanfare, efficiently done his job as Spurs sit fourth in the Premier League and take a 2-1 advantage into Thursday's second leg of their Europa League last 32 clash against Olympique Lyonnais.

Villas-Boas has unarguably been helped by the genius of Gareth Bale in recent weeks, but it has been a satisfying campaign for a man who faced "three games to save his job" headlines after barely six weeks in charge at White Hart Lane.

The 35-year-old had to deal with the immediate media backlash after replacing the popular Redknapp and with the task of restoring his battered reputation following his Chelsea failure.

He would himself admit that the media hostility was in some ways reflected by the attitudes of certain players within the squad during his first months in charge, not least as he clashed with Emmanuel Adebayor.

But Villas-Boas quickly learned from his mistakes after being sacked by Chelsea last March, where he alienated key players in the dressing room at Stamford Bridge and took a confrontational approach to the media.

At Spurs, he has the players on his side and is very much making the Enfield training base his own as he looks to guide Spurs into next season’s Champions League and secure a major trophy in the form of the Europa League.

The Europa League is, of course, the competition in which Villas-Boas announced himself to the world during his stunning season in charge of Porto in 2010-11. Success in Europe this year would be the first step as Spurs target a place in Europe's elite, a mark of their ambition as they target regular Champions League football in their proposed 60,000-seater stadium.

The gradual improvement in the Spurs squad over the course of the campaign has been no coincidence as Villas-Boas and his backroom staff, which includes former midfielder Steffen Freund, have worked on incrementally improving aspects of the team's play.

From Redknapp's 'piggy in the middle' training sessions, the players now turn up every morning expecting something different from the day before. The training ground is a mountain of dossiers and powerpoint presentations but, on the pitch, he makes sure it all makes sense to the players.

Training drills are designed to improve player combinations; the team work on ways of handling specific threats posed by the next opposition. When Spurs had a problem conceding last-minute goals, Villas-Boas complicated training exercises to attempt to discombobulate the players but get them to keep their focus.

So as the superlatives pour down on Bale for his 17 goals this season, maybe Villas-Boas deserves more credit for getting the best out of the flying Welshman.

Similarly, Aaron Lennon has had his best season at the club while the defence is organised and effective, with Spurs losing just twice in their last 18 games and goalkeeper Hugo Lloris conceding just 14 goals in 16 Premier League appearances.

Villas-Boas' handling of Lloris, who had to wait for his chance to establish himself as No.1, is symptomatic of a considered approach to man-management, one that has also seen the club open talks over a new contract for Michael Dawson just months after the club captain nearly joined QPR.

While Villas-Boas is sometimes considered somewhat robotic and intense, there is no doubt now that he has the respect of the Spurs squad, his office door always open to talk, his phone constantly in action via text messages and calls.

He also has the likes of Freund adding the fun, light-hearted and passionate side to the management team, the German a virtual cheerleader on the touchline on match days.

When Villas-Boas was named manager of the month for December, he made sure the official photograph was taken with the full backroom team, including the medical staff. He had dropped the ego that frustrated some at Chelsea, the need to prove himself or take the credit.

Villas-Boas has proven to be the modern manager Levy wanted, even though his tunnel vision has led to some clashes with the chairman about transfer targets both last summer and in January.

Yet Villas-Boas is increasingly making a case to be heavily backed by the club in the summer, especially given the lack of quality strikers in the squad.

He seems to be enjoying it. Villas-Boas is relaxed and affable, not the tortured man who would sleep overnight at Chelsea's Cobham training ground, but nevertheless the first man to arrive in the morning and the last to leave.

Villas-Boas will be aware that Tottenham's season could be defined by the next few weeks, during which they face Lyon in Europe before crucial league matches against West Ham, Arsenal and Liverpool.

But this is undoubtedly a Tottenham side that is reflecting Villas-Boas' impact on the club. They will be prepared.

Both teams were poor IMO' date=' lots of possession nonsense in the middle of the park going sideways and not threatening.

Equally poised going into the second leg.

Lewis will be class providing we sign a striker who knows how to move.[/quote']

Agree with you here, he's got such good vision and i think a Remy or Hernandez-esque player would link up great with him, a striker playing on the shoulder of the last man, not a donkey like Ade.