Sign in to follow this  
ian neller

Official Tottenham Hotspur Thread

Re: The Official Tottenham Hotspur Thread

Indeed' date=' upper tier. 28th game of the season! Just about scraped through with LP's. Needed 487 and I had 496 at the time of applying.

Seen some staggering offers for tickets in our end tonight, £250, weeks accomodation in San Francisco, all sorts!

Leaving work now to get a few bevvy's in before hand.[/quote']

Good to hear :).

I recken it's important to see your team live a couple of times a season, especially if you live locally. 28 games! I only managed to get to 4 :(.

Enjoy though, I got a ticket for the original date but had to send it back due to being unable to go tonight.

Apparently we've signed David Villa ...

Like you'd signed Eden Hazard? :P I think so much of your transfer activity depends on Newcastle getting a result against Arsenal. Big difference in the players you can bring in and whether your key man stays or goes.

Like you'd signed Eden Hazard? :P I think so much of your transfer activity depends on Newcastle getting a result against Arsenal. Big difference in the players you can bring in and whether your key man stays or goes.

Only reason Eddie chose Chelsea was CL ... Tho he dinnae get very much CL did he? Hah! until Chelsea won the final he was pretty much set to sign for us! Idno bout this signing tho, would rather see Benteke!

Apparently we've signed David Villa ...

I read this too but would be surprised if it happened unless we sealed Champions League football and were prepared to break our wage structure.

Can't see a player who has spent his whole career in Spain coming to the UK aged 31 for anything less.

Question is why would you want him. That's an underwhelming signing in my opinion.

He turns 32 this year, comes off a massive injury a year or two ago and has never been the same since. Add to that the loss of freshness the older you get and the high wage (I assume) plus the fact you won't sell him on for profit ever again, I really wonder why you would want him. I know you need a striker but there are better options out there.

Knowing Spurs it will be because Daniel Levy will be getting him for a steal (wages aside). I agree he is not a long term solution though.

I suppose the appeal would be that he has huge experience at the top level and at winning things. Something a lot of our team lacks.

As Stuart said we really need this CL spot to secure a high calibre of players. I would like to see the likes of Damiao and Hulk joining us but can't see them bothering for a team finishing 5th in the EPL. If we don't make it we would be lucky to even attract the older players.

I thought we would be hot on the tail of Remy as he is presumably going cheap and has done quite well in his first spell in the EPL, in difficult conditions, but I imagine the charges against him have cooled any chances of that.

Funny how Adebayor has sprung back to life now that the end of the season and transfer window is coming. Only seems to play well when he wants to seal a deal. :)

You've been linked with Villa for a while now, & I can only think like Teb said its for a bargain price - champions league qualification will be key for who you keep/bring in. I think if you offload Adebayor the wages won't be too much of a problem, which Levy being Levy will surely be thinking about. (Teb I put on the PL thread about Adebayor and playing for a contract lol).

The thing that's thrown a spanner in the works is the whole Remy situation - yourselves and Arsenal were quite heavily linked with him - but it now seems as though Wenger will stick with his current strike force & bring in exciting youngster Yaya Sanogo. Remy has a relegation buy out clause at just under £9m & he has had a good season at QPR - he would have been a very good signing but things are up in the air with him.

I don't see Damiao leaving Internacional anytime soon - unless a Juve, or Dortmund go in for him I think he will stay in Brazil to help his WC chances (unless an Oscar size bid comes in).

Hulk would be devastating in the PL but his fee wouldnt be small, & combined with his wages could be a bigger risk than most.

I like the thoughts of a Benteke, or Jackson Martinez but think what you need is a world class striker to compete with Defoe - you've needed one for a while now. Lewandowski would have fitted the bill but things are up in the air with his buy out clause. I think you should make a bold move for Higuain if you can offload Adebayor due to wages again.

Tomorrow is massive for you in more ways than one.

You've been linked with Villa for a while now' date=' & I can only think like Teb said its for a bargain price - champions league qualification will be key for who you keep/bring in. [b']I think if you offload Adebayor[/b] the wages won't be too much of a problem, which Levy being Levy will surely be thinking about. (Teb I put on the PL thread about Adebayor and playing for a contract lol).

Hulk would be devastating in the PL but his fee wouldnt be small, & combined with his wages could be a bigger risk than most.

I like the thoughts of a Benteke, or Jackson Martinez but think what you need is a world class striker to compete with Defoe - you've needed one for a while now. Lewandowski would have fitted the bill but things are up in the air with his buy out clause. I think you should make a bold move for Higuain if you can offload Adebayor due to wages again.

Tomorrow is massive for you in more ways than one.

Who would want Adebayor though? As in (who would pay the price Levy is likely to command)

Agree. I don't even wanna know what he earns in Russia. Considering he cost them like 40m? or so too, there is no way a club like Spurs with a chairman like Levy goes for that imo.

Lewandowski doesn't have a buy-out clause and no offense, but he, imo, would never move to Spurs. He could go to way bigger clubs. Spurs isn't even bigger than Dortmund. Makes little sense. Would be a downgrade (at very best sideways move).

Go for Benteke imo. Would be good for you and I think it would be good for him too going to a very good club but not a great club yet so he is given playing time to develop at Spurs.

Who would want Adebayor though? As in (who would pay the price Levy is likely to command)

Agree. I don't even wanna know what he earns in Russia. Considering he cost them like 40m? or so too' date=' there is no way a club like Spurs with a chairman like Levy goes for that imo.

Lewandowski doesn't have a buy-out clause and no offense, but he, imo, would never move to Spurs. He could go to way bigger clubs. Spurs isn't even bigger than Dortmund. Makes little sense. Would be a downgrade (at very best sideways move).

Go for Benteke imo. Would be good for you and I think it would be good for him too going to a very good club but not a great club yet so he is given playing time to develop at Spurs.[/quote']

No offence taken re Lewandowski - I'm a Chelsea fan :P

Don't about where Adebayour would go - a Monaco, or Russia or Ukraine maybe.

Benteke would be a good signing - but if Spurs want to maintain a constant level & year on year CL qualification a pure world class striker is a must, & Benteke isn't that yet.

Only reason Eddie chose Chelsea was CL ... Tho he dinnae get very much CL did he? Hah! until Chelsea won the final he was pretty much set to sign for us! Idno bout this signing tho' date=' would rather see Benteke![/quote']

I thought he'd decided on Man City, he said that in an interview. Chelsea played it clever with agent fees, they seemed to offer a lot more than the others which obviously gave his agent a much bigger incentive to get him to sign for Chelsea.

I read this too but would be surprised if it happened unless we sealed Champions League football and were prepared to break our wage structure.

Can't see a player who has spent his whole career in Spain coming to the UK aged 31 for anything less.

Yeah ... that's why I added the "apparently"

:P I can't see this happen and I'd be shocked if it actually were to happen as Villa ' date=' whilst a class striker ... most likely wouldn't fit into the team.

I'd personally like to see us go for someone like Hulk and/or Benteke ... both strikers would be massive to sign ... If we can get enough money for Adebayor (if someone's daft enough to pay it) I can see that happen ... or possibly even send Adebayor as P/E to either Zenit or Villa :D

I still think Toivonen could be a good squad player to buy!

And I've still got wet dreams about Aubameyang joining us!

Now, let's leave the striker department and focus on midfielders ...

I want Parker out as soon as possible, the guy is worthless, every game I've seen he makes mistakes and whilst he has flashes of brilliance in his play and in his way of passing he's just too uneven to be trusted with regular first team football ... let's spend our money wisely and go for either Milner or McCarthur imo.[/center']

I thought he'd decided on Man City' date=' he said that in an interview. Chelsea played it clever with agent fees, they seemed to offer a lot more than the others which obviously gave his agent a much bigger incentive to get him to sign for Chelsea.[/quote']

As far as I'm aware after reading interviews about it etc. he was dead set to join us when we still had the CL spot in our hands but signed for you lot when you won the CL final ... Might be wrong tho, either way you've gotten one of the most brilliant players this decade ... My envy knows no bounds.

As far as I'm aware after reading interviews about it etc. he was dead set to join us when we still had the CL spot in our hands but signed for you lot when you won the CL final ... Might be wrong tho' date=' either way you've gotten one of the most brilliant players this decade ... My envy knows no bounds.[/center']

Hazard was flip flopping around everywhere, he looked set to join you in March ish but then in April or something he talked about Manchester, he also talked about Arsenal and a million other clubs. It was a funny one, he didn't want to close the door on any potential transfer, if you'd got CL football you might've got him.

He is fantastic :P, by far and away our most exciting player :D.

Hazard was flip flopping around everywhere' date=' he looked set to join you in March ish but then in April or something he talked about Manchester, he also talked about Arsenal and a million other clubs. It was a funny one, he didn't want to close the door on any potential transfer, if you'd got CL football you might've got him.

He is fantastic :P, by far and away our most exciting player :D.[/quote']

Actually we were the strongest canditate to get him all along even with his "club-hopping" ... but in the end what sealed the deal was CL footy ... can you just imagine if we'd gotten Hazard .... him and Bale would've killed the opposition and we'd be sitting 1st

:P

Actually we were the strongest canditate to get him all along even with his "club-hopping" ... but in the end what sealed the deal was CL footy ... can you just imagine if we'd gotten Hazard .... him and Bale would've killed the opposition and we'd be sitting 1st

They'd be scary together :eek:.

Honestly though, with Hazard and a new CF I recken you would win the title, your team would be phenominal.

They'd be scary together :eek:.

Honestly though' date=' with Hazard and a new CF I recken you would win the title, your team would be phenominal.[/quote']

I still stand by what I said earlier. Hazard had a very free role in Lille and often went forward as a strikerish type player. Would've been easy to convert him to a striker and play 3 good AMs/Wings behind him ... Imagine Lennon - Sigurdsson - Bale behind Hazard!

I still stand by what I said earlier. Hazard had a very free role in Lille and often went forward as a strikerish type player. Would've been easy to convert him to a striker and play 3 good AMs/Wings behind him ... Imagine Lennon - Sigurdsson - Bale behind Hazard!

I actually disagree, Hazard as a striker imo wouldn't work. Has struggled when played there on occasion.

Why effectively play 2/3 wingers who can all cross without a CF? Someone world class like Falcao, Lewandoski etc etc would be outstanding.

Looking back, you could've gotten Cardozo for a small fee as he hadn't renewed his contract yet.

Now that would be some team.

You've been linked with Villa for a while now' date=' & I can only think like Teb said its for a bargain price - champions league qualification will be key for who you keep/bring in. I think if you offload Adebayor the wages won't be too much of a problem, which Levy being Levy will surely be thinking about. (Teb I put on the PL thread about Adebayor and playing for a contract lol).

The thing that's thrown a spanner in the works is the whole Remy situation - yourselves and Arsenal were quite heavily linked with him - but it now seems as though Wenger will stick with his current strike force & bring in exciting youngster Yaya Sanogo. Remy has a relegation buy out clause at just under £9m & he has had a good season at QPR - he would have been a very good signing but things are up in the air with him.

I don't see Damiao leaving Internacional anytime soon - unless a Juve, or Dortmund go in for him I think he will stay in Brazil to help his WC chances (unless an Oscar size bid comes in).

Tomorrow is massive for you in more ways than one.[/quote']

Lots of wrongs in this although I expect it from a fan of another club.

AVB doesn't like Remy, DL does.

AVB likes Damiao, DL likes Damiao, chequebook doesn't like Damiao.

AVB likes Villa, DL is unsure, Chequebook likes Villa

AVB likes Benteke, DL likes Benteke, chequebook doesn't like Benteke

Summer will be very interesting for us, we will make massive strides no matter what, but if we get CL tomorrow, I'll be laughing.

FYI Oscar was close to joining us for £8m before Roman remembered AVB's scout reports (still using them by the way) and blew us out the water.

We could of got Hazard in January if it wasn't for Harry poncing around not knowing what to do because it wasn't one of the lads from back in the day.

Same Harry who said no to Suarez and put Moyes off as well!

So glad we no longer have that man associated with our football club.

Good as it gets in the championship for old twitchy

Lots of wrongs in this although I expect it from a fan of another club.

AVB doesn't like Remy' date=' DL does.

AVB likes Damiao, DL likes Damiao, chequebook doesn't like Damiao.

AVB likes Villa, DL is unsure, Chequebook likes Villa

AVB likes Benteke, DL likes Benteke, chequebook doesn't like Benteke

Summer will be very interesting for us, we will make massive strides no matter what, but if we get CL tomorrow, I'll be laughing.

FYI Oscar was close to joining us for £8m before Roman remembered AVB's scout reports (still using them by the way) and blew us out the water.[/quote']

Yeah, I heard Oscar was very close to joining you for ~ £12 million, then we came in with £20 million and as you stated blew you out of the water.

Can see you getting Damiao, I think everyone at your club recognises the need for a top CF and can see you splashing out.

Yeah' date=' I heard Oscar was very close to joining you for ~ £12 million, then we came in with £20 million and as you stated blew you out of the water.

Can see you getting Damiao, I think everyone at your club recognises the need for a top CF and can see you splashing out.[/quote']

Personally think Benteke would be a better option then Damiao ... I've never had much for hyped Brazilians ...

Message from DL;

CHAIRMAN'S MESSAGE

Posted 19 May 2013 10:30am

Dear Supporter

We should all have wanted to start today with our fate in our own hands regarding Champions League qualification after what has been a great season and one which has once again seen us qualify for Europe.

Our current tally of 69 points is just one point off our all-time highest total in the Premier League (2009/10) and already equals our total points tally for last season which saw us finish fourth, a measure of how competitive the Premier League remains. A win today will see us achieve our greatest Premier League points tally ever.

We started the season with a new Head Coach and Andre was introduced at our new Training Centre shortly ahead of its opening. It is the fantastic facility we planned, it has received much acclaim and praise from all over the world and it is a stand-out marker of the ambitions we have at this Club. Andre and his coaching team, Steffen Freund, Jose Mario Rocha, Luis Martins, Tony Parks and Daniel Sousa have had a great first season and are now well settled at the Club.

Gareth Bale deserves special mention. He has had a phenomenal season. We were proud to seen him honoured with a clean sweep of all three major player awards - PFA Player of the Year; PFA Young Player of the Year and FWA Footballer of the Year - and Jan Vertonghen was named in the PFA Team of the Year. Gareth is the first to remind anyone who congratulates him that this is a team effort and we have seen some outstanding performances from the First Team.

Tim Sherwood, John McDermott, Chris Ramsey and Les Ferdinand have led the way with our youth development and we have had notable success in a variety of competitions, indicating the strength and depth we have across the different age groups.

Our Under-21s have certainly had a fantastic season, reaching the Barclays U21 Premier League Final. They play Manchester United tomorrow and we wish them luck. We were delighted to see four of our young players selected for England U21s for this summer’s European U21 Championships - Steven Caulker, Danny Rose, Andros Townsend and Adam Smith.

Our loan system continues to work well in developing our players and this season saw Andros Townsend voted Player of the Year and Danny Rose voted Young Player of the Year for their respective loan clubs, QPR and Sunderland.

Looking ahead to the summer, we shall continue to seek to strengthen and improve the team and to retain key players. We also look forward to the return of Sandro and Younes who were missed this season but who are well on the road to full fitness.

Financial Fair Play (FFP) will hopefully see all clubs follow the kind of financial discipline we have followed as we run our Club on a sound financial basis without the benefit of a larger stadium. Short term cost control measures which limit the amount of increased broadcasting revenues clubs can spend to £4m per season and a requirement to break even will have an impact on clubs across Europe.

A large capacity stadium is fundamental to the ability to raise revenue and achieve future growth and success within FFP. Our 36,000 seater stadium has continued to sell out and our waiting list is now in excess of 42,000. Our new stadium plans are progressing and we are applying the same energies to delivering this hugely complex scheme as we did to the delivery of the new Training Centre.

Ledley will be on the pitch at half time after what has been his first full season since his retirement and his first as a Club Ambassador. He has taken to his new role with all the professionalism and presence he displayed throughout his playing career at the Club and we are so very proud to have him represent us in our local community and around the world. He has played an active role both in the regeneration work around the stadium and also with supporters groups domestically and internationally, having recently returned from South Africa and Sweden.

Indeed, one stand out feature of the season has been the growth in our supporter base globally. We have seen a 45% growth in the number of supporter groups and we now host official groups around the world in places such as Camp Bastion, Mumbai, Dallas and Moscow to name but a few of the new destinations. We are also currently adding one new supporter group per week from the States as the popularity of the game and 'The Spurs' takes off over there. Welcome to you all.

And to all our supporters, whether here today, home or abroad, on behalf of everyone at the Club, thank you. You are what this Club is all about.

I know the Lane will be rocking today with your support for yet another final day of the season, all-important win .

Enjoy the occasion and I wish you and your families a great summer ahead of seeing you here again in August.

Yours

Daniel