Sign in to follow this  
ian neller

Official Tottenham Hotspur Thread

Re: The Official Tottenham Hotspur Thread

To be fair I don't think ANY of them (inc City) come close to Chelsea over the last decade.

Bayern yeah, but Barcelona has spent £584m since 03/04 & Real have spent £873m since 03/04. (Source - transfermarkt).

To be fair I don't think ANY of them (inc City) come close to Chelsea over the last decade.

Established teams had a better structure in place. If a team that comes from behind wants to compete, they have to spend more (Chelsea, Man City) - exceptions exist but they're rare. Nothing wrong with it all -- just makes the league more interesting with new emerging powerhouses.

Bayern yeah' date=' but Barcelona has spent £584m since 03/04 & Real have spent £873m since 03/04. (Source - transfermarkt).[/quote']

Barca have spent that much? , that seems crazily high :eek:

Established teams had a better structure in place. If a team that comes from behind wants to compete' date=' they have to spend more (Chelsea, Man City). Nothing wrong with that, and just makes the league more interesting with new emerging powerhouses.[/quote']

Totally agree, I have nothing against City or Chelsea spending money, like you said how would teams ever catch up to the big guns without doing so?

the only issue I used to have with Chelsea was its fans when they tried denying the money was what 'made' them what they are currently.

Anyways this is wayyyyyyyyy off topic now :P, sorry Spurs fans

Totally agree' date=' I have nothing against City or Chelsea spending money, like you said how would teams ever catch up to the big guns without doing so?

the only issue I used to have with Chelsea was its fans when they tried denying the money was what 'made' them what they are currently.

Anyways this is wayyyyyyyyy off topic now :P, sorry Spurs fans[/quote']

The defensiveness comes from lots of other fans saying money is the only reason for their growth, when it's just one of very many. Certainly money is necessary but it's not sufficient by itself.

The defensiveness comes from lots of other fans saying money is the only reason for their growth' date=' when it's just one of very many. Certainly money is necessary but it's not sufficient by itself.[/quote']

You would not have won ANY of your premiership titles without it though, or the CL.

At the end of the day the money put you above both Man Utd and Arsenal.

Of course you need other stuff with the money like a top manager and players, but the money also got you those :)

City proved you can still win the title with an average manager and lots of money.

Barca have spent that much? ' date=' that seems crazily high :eek:[/quote']

Apparently so, & that's with one summer where they signed free transfers only too.

Totally agree' date=' I have nothing against City or Chelsea spending money, like you said how would teams ever catch up to the big guns without doing so?

Anyways this is wayyyyyyyyy off topic now :P, sorry Spurs fans[/quote']

It was Dougie's anti-Chelsea rants that started it going off topic don't worry :P

Abramovich has made Chelsea what we are, but it's not all we are - players can be brought, but performances, and winning a 38 game league can't be just money repercussions surely.

The defensiveness comes from lots of other fans saying money is the only reason for their growth' date=' when it's just one of very many. Certainly money is necessary but it's not sufficient by itself.[/quote']

Agreed.

Anyway Bale is looking like being no.11 at Real after a few leaked website and shop pics...

You would not have won ANY of your premiership titles without it though' date=' or the CL.

At the end of the day the money put you above both Man Utd and Arsenal.

Of course you need other stuff with the money like a top manager and players, but the money also got you those :)

City proved you can still win the title with an average manager and lots of money.[/quote']

Sigh do we start this again...really?

Certainly money is necessary but it's not sufficient by itself.

Sigh do we start this again...really?

No we dont but that quote makes no sense, of course the money isnt sufficient by itself as it can't run around defending and scoring goals.

But the money buys the players (world class) that are capable of winning titles, end of debate.

Chelsea fans are the only ones who try and get around this, Man City fans just say it how it is.

Your money got you jose and the players, so without it... no titles.

I really don't see whats wrong with it either?

No money = No Jose, Drogba, Esseien, Robben, Carvalio, A Cole etc etc

So no money isn't ok by itself, however you cant do anything without it.

I aint having a dig at Chelsea either... NOTHING wrong with it, these last few points just show what I meant earlier about only Chelsea fans try and defend it :P

It'd be interesting to see a list of who spent what according to football inflation. City have spent tons but a good top 4 player now costs £20m really whereas when United were busy buying players a decent player was half that. Before 08/09 City had bought one player over £10m (Anelka for £13m in 01/02) compared to 12 for United totaling over £200m and 19 for Chelsea totaling over £315m. We had an awful lot of catching up to do with players costing much more for their ability.

No we dont but that quote makes no sense' date=' of course the money isnt sufficient by itself as it can't run around defending and scoring goals.

But the money buys the players (world class) that are capable of winning titles, end of debate.

[b']Chelsea fans are the only ones who try and get around this[/b], Man City fans just say it how it is.

Your money got you jose and the players, so without it... no titles.

I really don't see whats wrong with it either?

No money = No Jose, Drogba, Esseien, Robben, Carvalio, A Cole etc etc

So no money isn't ok by itself, however you cant do anything without it.

I aint having a dig at Chelsea either... NOTHING wrong with it, these last few points just show what I meant earlier about only Chelsea fans try and defend it :P

In response:

1. You can misspend the money. - thus money is necessary, not sufficient for success.

2. Disagree with bolded, I'm not denying anything and have zero interest getting around anything. You could qualify that statement with "some Chelsea fans".

Established teams had a better structure in place. If a team that comes from behind wants to compete, they have to spend more (Chelsea, Man City).

Pretty clearly not denying a thing.

3. Your tone is very accusatory and off-putting.

Chelsea are absolute scumbags. I hate them with an absolute passion.

Least it proves that they're scared of us and still bitter towards Andre though. First Oscar' date=' now potentially Willian...[/quote']

Ah well, you win some, you lose some.

Chelsea are absolute scumbags. I hate them with an absolute passion.

Least it proves that they're scared of us and still bitter towards Andre though. First Oscar' date=' now potentially Willian...[/quote']

You've now become the rival :D

Not sure who's the driving force behind this. I'll guess just for the fun of it it's Roman -- this kind of stuff is super standard in the business world so this would be nothing unseen for him. Heck, the guy survived the Russian aluminum wars when 95%+ of his rivals got killed...

Life is rough...

If the rumours would be true that he's stalling for another offer he can jog on ... Greedy moron ...

Not sure what his background is but lots of Brazilian players come from relatively non-wealthy backgrounds (sometimes very poor) so money can be a really big deal for them...not ideal but just human nature really. A good number grow out of it as they get older and their repressed desires of the childhood have been satisfactorily fulfilled...

If the rumours would be true that he's stalling for another offer he can jog on ... Greedy moron ...
Not sure what his background is but lots of Brazilian players come from relatively non-wealthy backgrounds (sometimes very poor) so money can be a really big deal for them...not ideal but just human nature really. A good number grow out of it as they get older and their repressed desires of the childhood have been satisfactorily fulfilled...
Prob more to do with Joorabchian than him, but why would he not want Champions League football and more money?

As Safir says, many footballers main aims within football include providing for their family, and not just their missus and kids etc, but their extended family. South Americans especially are quite open about this.

Was just writing something about Leandro Damiao and he was the same when he was young. Wanted to provide for his parents/family, and when, at around the age of 17-18, football didn't look like it was working out for him, he almost packed it in and took another job in order to do this.

Prob more to do with Joorabchian than him' date=' but why would he not want Champions League football and more money?

As Safir says, many footballers main aims within football include providing for their family, and not just their missus and kids etc, but their extended family. South Americans especially are quite open about this.

Was just writing something about Leandro Damiao and he was the same when he was young. Wanted to provide for his parents/family, and when, at around the age of 17-18, football didn't look like it was working out for him, he almost packed it in and took another job in order to do this.[/quote']

Joorabchian is probably good at pushing the right buttons in the players (who often are relatively young and/or uneducated and so not really good at making decisions that are beneficial to them) to get them to do the things that are good for them. He can make arguments and reason with them which makes the players feel they're making the best choice for themselves.

Sometimes the interests of the two can be in line with each other, sometimes they're not...

All this moaning about how many AM's Chelsea have, but you are doing the same in regards to CM.

Sandro, Paulinho, Capoue, Dembele, Holtby, Livermore(L). Six players for two spots..

Anyway, hoping Townsend and Rose get a chance this season, with potential new signings it doesnt look likely.

All this moaning about how many AM's Chelsea have' date=' but you are doing the same in regards to CM.

Sandro, Paulinho, Capoue, Dembele, Holtby, Livermore(L). Six players for two spots..

Anyway, hoping Townsend and Rose get a chance this season, with potential new signings it doesnt look likely.[/quote']

Spurs play with three CMs, so it's completely different Ash.

Mata, Hazard, De Bruyne, Moses, Oscar, Schurrle, Van Ginkel, Ramires (can play) and now possibly Willian fighting for three spots is a bit crazy. Especially when you consider that all are either world class or tipped for it

All this moaning about how many AM's Chelsea have' date=' but you are doing the same in regards to CM.

Anyway, hoping Townsend and Rose get a chance this season, with potential new signings it doesnt look likely.[/quote']

Also, depth is the reality if one wants to compete for the Champions League

E.g. Bayern will regularly have to sit some of the following on the bench: Thiago Alcantara, Gotze, Shaqiri...maybe even Muller and Kroos or even Robben

Spurs will play with 3 in the middle at times, like yesterday. Capoue can play CB and Holtby can play further up the pitch. Livermore's terrible.

I reckon Rose is above BAE in the pecking order judging by the start of the season and there's a case for Townsend being higher up than Lennon.