Official Tottenham Hotspur Thread

ian neller

• Replies 6.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Re: The Official Tottenham Hotspur Thread

If he was such a great proven manager why were people against him?

Adkins had proved himself in the English league whereas Pochettino could have easily been a flop.

They were against him as Adkins was doing a good job, not because Pocchetino was a nobody.

Why not? He knows the club' date=' he's worked closely with the players previously and he got you playing good football yesterday. Perhaps it would have been more ideal to give him a contract that expired at the end of this season (a trial run if you will), but he might do well, so it could turn out to be a great thing down the line.

It worked for Chelsea with Di Matteo (when he was at the club). The only reason he was sacked was because Abramovich is an arse :)[/quote']

Well for one Sherwood has no management experience at all, starting at a club like Tottenham who are in dire need of a tactician to get the best out of their star attackers, they are crying out for some experience to properly man manage their players. Whether he knows the club or not is besides the point, most of the Tottenham fans on here 'know' the club and they've got about as much sideline experience as he does. Gonna be a mammoth task for him and I can't see it being a succesful risk.

Again Di Matteo had actually managed before that so at least had a sense of what to do as a manager. Chelseas team was also far better and their experienced players ie Drogba, Lampard, Terry and Cole massively stepped up and pretty much won the trophy themselves. Chelsea's team had been together longer this is relatively fresh Spurs team. He was sacked because when the experienced players moved on or slowed down after they finally won the Champions League that behind all that Di Matteo was a poor tactician.

And it's hardly a name to bring confidence and show the clubs ambition to the fans is it?

Same was the reaction when Pochettino got the job at Soton.

I'd give him a chance and lets see what he brings.

Pochettino is actually a manager who you know can actually manage. Sherwood isn't a manager and Spurs is a huge club to begin your career as a manager.

A better comparison would be to Shearer when he took over Newcastle, and that didn't work out well at all did it?

Pochettino was a proven manager. At the time he had a bigger reputation than Adkins' date=' much bigger. Who is Sherwood ? Do Tottenham really think he's the man to take them forward ? Ahh please.[/quote']

Which made the sacking of Adkins justifiable? Not at all, but it worked. Sherwood is someone that knows Tottenham and has worked with the players and has a close relationship with them. Sure, he's not a big name manager at this moment in time, but that's not to say that he won't be in time. He could work wonders for Spurs, or he could do the complete opposite. It's a risk that Tottenham have taken, and in my opinion one that I'm glad they've taken on. It's nice to see a loyal member of Tottenham get the job. I hope it works out well for him.

Edit: I totally agree that taking on a more experienced manager would have been a good path for Tottenham to go down too, but on the other hand, the new man coming in would have had to get to know the personnel at the club, which again takes time. Like I said before, it might have been a wiser option to hand Sherwood a contract until the end of this season, but we'll see.

Which made the sacking of Adkins justifiable? Not at all' date=' but it worked. Sherwood is someone that knows Tottenham and has worked with the players and has a close relationship with them. Sure, he's not a big name manager at this moment in time, but that's not to say that he won't be in time. He could work wonders for Spurs, or he could do the complete opposite. It's a risk that Tottenham have taken, and in my opinion one that I'm glad they've taken on. It's nice to see a loyal member of Tottenham get the job. I hope it works out well for him.[/quote']

Once again. Pochetino was at the time a well known manager. He knew what he was doing. Adkins was never going to take the club forward, he's nothing more than a Championship winning side manager, at best. Sherwood has got no management experience, absolutely none. Tottenham fans were talking about Louis Van Gaal, I can only imagine when they heard the news.

I'll hold my hands up if I'm proved wrong at the end of the season, but I can't see this moving Spurs forward and giving them success whatsoever. And by that I mean top four.

This cries out 'we can't find anyone better willing to come to us now but Tim won't accept a temporary position'

I imagine someone will come into the job after the WC/end of season.

I really think money had something to do with this appointment.

Also a newbie manager's demands for transfers can be ignored. They've brought in so many players in the last window and need someone who can try to integrate them into the core of the club, and then the next real manager can decide who to keep.

lol

I look forward to seeing more of Bentaleb.

He's going to have a job though managing some of these ego's in the Spurs squad when he decides what his best side is going to be. I hope to see more of Adebayor, if he can keep him happy and playing well.

Bit of a risk from Levy - time for Tim to walk the walk.

I hope it pays off but I have serious doubts. However, he was very highly rated inside the club (Blackburn tried to take him as manager earlier in the year) so there is obviously something good. I unfortunately suspected this would be the case sooner or later, don't think this is the right time at all.

I agree with previous views that he's come on a 18 month deal to avoid another Rafa scenario and I suspect he won't receive much dolla if he's sacked in the summer.

I hope it pays off but I have serious doubts. However' date=' he was very highly rated inside the club ([b']Blackburn tried to take him as manager earlier in the year[/b]) so there is obviously something good. I unfortunately suspected this would be the case sooner or later, don't think this is the right time at all.

I agree with previous views that he's come on a 18 month deal to avoid another Rafa scenario and I suspect he won't receive much dolla if he's sacked in the summer.

You mean that mid-table Championship club who chop and change their manager when they please? Great credentials.

I hope it pays off but I have serious doubts. However' date=' he was very highly rated inside the club (Blackburn tried to take him as manager earlier in the year) so there is obviously something good. I unfortunately suspected this would be the case sooner or later, don't think this is the right time at all.

I agree with previous views that he's come on a 18 month deal to avoid another Rafa scenario and I suspect he won't receive much dolla if he's sacked in the summer.[/quote']

Stop gap appointment.

He'll be cheap and cheerful.

He can hardly get relegated with that squad no matter how bad he is.

You already made good profit this season with the sale of Bale so you can write off the league position money and prospect of champions league football.

If he does perform then its an added bonus.

Either way I'll expect a big name coach in the summer.

Whatever happened to that signature of yours?

...Something like 'Mark my words' and 'AVB will be a fabulous manager for Spurs'?

:D

Stop gap appointment.

You already made good profit this season with the sale of Bale so you can write off the league position money and prospect of champions league football.

Whatever happened to that signature of yours?

...Something like 'Mark my words' and 'AVB will be a fabulous manager for Spurs'?

:D

And the other one where he had my quote as a sig laughing at it....it said...

"Liverpool will finish ahead off Spurs' date=' Spurs will not finish in the top 5"[/color']

smileys-letter-740253.gif

Stop gap appointment.

How exactly did they make a profit?

They spent all the Bale money for transfers. Add to that, their wage bill will have significantly increased and they are now paying a sacked manager as well.

How exactly did they make a profit?

They spent all the Bale money for transfers. Add to that' date=' their wage bill will have significantly increased and they are now paying a sacked manager as well.[/quote']

It depends what fee you believe with Bale but we definitely made profit. Don't forget the sales of Dempsey, Parker, Huddlestone and Caulker, plus the big sell on % we had with Giovani Dos Pantos.

Wages will be lower also.

It depends what fee you believe with Bale but we definitely made profit. Don't forget the sales of Dempsey' date=' Parker, Huddlestone and Caulker, plus the big sell on % we had with Giovani Dos Pantos.

Wages will be lower also.[/quote']

those fees (apart from dos santos) are already factored in and after all that you had a net spend of almost 4m €.

And that Lamela, Eriksen, Chiriches, Capoue, Soldado, Chadli, Paulinho combined earn less than Bale, Parker, Huddlestone, Dempsey, Caulker (and AVB if you wanna add it) is also rather doubtful.

Tottenham with the joint best away record this season. Judging by Redcafe they are an awful and average side :o

I mean apart from their glitch at the Etihad they have been generally solid on the road so it's funny to see the United fans in uproar as if Tottenham are the equivalent of Sunderland or something.. :o

Bc6u4hyCQAAAKcP.jpg

Alex' date=' I find it very strange how when spurs are doing poorly, and cant seem to win a few games and there manager gets the sack how your coincidentally "away on holidays" or don't have much time for the forum theses days yet, the second spurs get a win, or a win over a team you do not like, your straight back on here some how ready to post away.[/color']

When spurs were down and out (which they still are) you were nowhere to be found apparently "on holidays" now they string a win or 2 and you all of a sudden have all the time in the world.

smileys-summer-935423.gif

Just something I picked up on.

Alex' date=' I find it very strange how when spurs are doing poorly, and cant seem to win a few games and there manager gets the sack how your coincidentally "away on holidays" or don't have much time for the forum theses days yet, the second spurs get a win, or a win over a team you do not like, your straight back on here some how ready to post away.[/color']

When spurs were down and out (which they still are) you were nowhere to be found apparently "on holidays" now they string a win or 2 and you all of a sudden have all the time in the world.

smileys-summer-935423.gif

Just something I picked up on.

Hahahaha very funny.

Today was New Years Day, a public holiday. So I was not busy with work, hence able to post on here... It was one of the first games home or away that I haven't actually been in attendance at this year. To suggest I have been faking being on holiday is even more laughable based on your standards.

Down and out yet we just beat United away and are above United... right.

Maybe I would be here more often if there were less people like you and more people like Stuart, Ash and several posters from the Liverpool & Arsenal threads.

Bringing Adebayor back is key, big win no doubt big confidence boost and right back in the shout for Top 4. If you manage to get the best out of Soldado and Lamela i'd make you strong favourites. Not impressed by Soldado yet, to say he's a poacher he's missed some absolute sitters ie the one today, his work-rate was great today gave United the run around all match but the thing is when he you do that you take yourself into parts of the pitch you won't be scoring from and at times it left Adebayor isolated.

Might have to take a slice of humble pie if this form under Sherwood continues.

Archived