Sign in to follow this  
ian neller

Official Tottenham Hotspur Thread

Re: The Official Tottenham Hotspur Thread

The Spurs player went down way too easy for the penalty appeal... Sandro on the other hand left no doubt the way he barged into Benfica player.

In the end Spurs had a few decent chances to send it to extra time, shame they didn't convert one.

Why would he go down when he's about to take a shot? He got bundled over it was clear to see

Buying the penalty, touch was so soft, bundled over was the Benfica player by Sandro for their penalty. Would of been very very soft to give the one on Kane there is almost nothing in it.

Buying the penalty' date=' touch was so soft, bundled over was the Benfica player by Sandro for their penalty. Would of been very very soft to give the one on Kane there is almost nothing in it.[/quote']

I've seen a lot softer given... had that been outside the penalty area it would have been given. It's a shame

Really hoping Southampton can get the points against you lot today.We are desperately fighting for some sort of European spot for next season and need some results to go our way.

However, it would be tough and a big ask for Southampton to pick up all 3 points at the lane, I personally think it can go either way with both teams going forward a lot.

Why on earth would he not go on the touch line at all?

To say 'I learn more from there' is ridiculous. A manager needs to be communicating with his players, espeically when losing. He is definately getting sacked in the summer.

Why on earth would he not go on the touch line at all?

To say 'I learn more from there' is ridiculous. A manager needs to be communicating with his players' date=' espeically when losing. He is definately getting sacked in the summer.[/quote']

Wait what.... I honestly thought he was banned or something, but it's his decision to get there? What the........

Wait what.... I honestly thought he was banned or something' date=' but it's his decision to get there? What the........[/quote']

Thats what I assumed to when watching it live.

But thats what he said on motd2 interview. Total idiot of a manager

If anybody has the time to read back to the start of this season and a vast majority of people eulogising about Tottenham, there signings etc etc please do it is remarkably funny to see how badly people got things wrong. Baldini is our best signing, all our transfers are magic and will be huge successes, top three without a doubt I could go on....

I don't wanna say I told you so but well the hallmarks of it not going to well were there for everybody to see when you buy a complete load of players with no PL experience, two managers who are tactically adept as sooty and players already there that were just made out to be better than they were...

To be fair Infernito predicted it as well although being an Arsenal fan he was never gunna say anything different.

What this season conclusively proves (I got this one wrong to be fair).....

110M and seven to eight players don't equal a Gareth Bale.....

Your further away now than you were before the season started and a lot lot further away.

Sad to see really as Tottenham is a proper club but the implosion against the better sides has been spectacular to watch (in a cringey kinda way)

If anybody has the time to read back to the start of this season and a vast majority of people eulogising about Tottenham' date=' there signings etc etc please do it is remarkably funny to see how badly people got things wrong. Baldini is our best signing, all our transfers are magic and will be huge successes, top three without a doubt I could go on....

I don't wanna say I told you so but well the hallmarks of it not going to well were there for everybody to see when you buy a complete load of players with no PL experience, two managers who are tactically adept as sooty and players already there that were just made out to be better than they were...

To be fair Infernito predicted it as well although being an Arsenal fan he was never gunna say anything different.

What this season conclusively proves (I got this one wrong to be fair).....

110M and seven to eight players don't equal a Gareth Bale.....

Your further away now than you were before the season started and a lot lot further away.

Sad to see really as Tottenham is a proper club but the implosion against the better sides has been spectacular to watch (in a cringey kinda way)[/quote']

I disagree to an extent. Whilst it obviously hasn't worked, I think that a large part of that is due to the huge number of new players, the fact that they weren't the manager's signings and the managerial change, rather than the quality of the players themselves.

Guys like Soldado and Lamela clearly aren't as bad players as they've performed this season but Soldado has had to lead the line alone for much of the season with no support and Lamela's not been given a chance at all by either manager. His form at Roma shows he's clearly not a bad player, though perhaps unsuited to the PL which I guess is why AVB wasn't keen on his signing.

It's just been an unstable season from start to finish. Most of the signings, on paper, were good though.

I disagree to an extent. Whilst it obviously hasn't worked' date=' I think that a large part of that is due to the huge number of new players, the fact that they weren't the manager's signings and the managerial change, [b']rather than the quality of the players themselves[/b].

Guys like Soldado and Lamela clearly aren't as bad players as they've performed this season but Soldado has had to lead the line alone for much of the season with no support and Lamela's not been given a chance at all by either manager. His form at Roma shows he's clearly not a bad player, though perhaps unsuited to the PL which I guess is why AVB wasn't keen on his signing.

It's just been an unstable season from start to finish. Most of the signings, on paper, were good though.

Whilst I agree there is a range of reasons, the part in bold simply cannot be ignored, said it at the time but these players are not as good as people are making them out to be.....I got laughed at but this season would indicate I might have had a point (for once :P)

To say any of them has been a success would be stretching it, Eriksen is possibly the only one who could get close, some people might say Lloris but personally I think he has been poor.

I would bet my bottom dollar that quite a few of the "newbies" are not there come the start of the season. The bare facts cannot be ignored Spurs lost Bale and replaced him poorly that was the biggest mistake of all.

Baldini, Levy, AVB whoever it was poor strategy and was always a good probability of it not working.

I'm not being mean or anything' date=' but I am going to be realistic, everyone in this thread is getting themselves into one big bubble about how good Tottenham could be. Now just saying if Spurs got Lamela, Coentrao, Willian, I still think Arsenal would trump ye for 4th. The speculation about Cabaye could possibly be a smokescreen for another signing before they go after him. If Spurs did get them players, Wenger would open the chequebook and bring in extra quality. Personally I feel Arsenal are waiting to see if they can get qualification to Champions League first, which would make it easier to attract quality, It may not be the best strategy but I still think Wenger knows what he's doing. And to be honest, I don't think Spurs will land Coentrao, he wants to Benfica, I think Lamela will stay at Roma, with Strootman and Co. coming and Willian might go to Liverpool, with this huge "wage package" they might be offering. I feel Spurs will go for someone else. Sorry for bursting your bubble. :o[/quote']
Your name says it all lol. Would be interesting to hear who the big signing is that Cabaye is the smokescreen for?

Arsenal can attract already' date=' but just won't pay up[/quote']

jiFfM.jpg
Ok' date=' so you think Spurs will beat Arsenal to 4th? Pfft... not much of a chance, all the talk about all these big transfers and no signings, just wait until Arsenal buy a few players and even so, people might think their not the best on paper but they'll work. Wenger>AVB all day long.[/quote']

Seem's Wally wasn't such a Wally after all.

Do I cry now or cry later?
1) Spurs continue to sign brilliant players

2) Arsenal 2-6 Spurs

3) Spurs 4-0 Arsenal

4) Spurs finish in the top 4

5) Spurs win the FA Cup..

5 reasons to cry this season... :o

I hope you didn't embarrass yourself and cry to much mate.

;2701223']I would at this point in time like to concede and say North London is now white. :o

Still think that?

They can spend all they like' date=' will never get ahead of the top 3/4, Man United , City, Chelsea Arsenal.[/i']

I think Liverpool will finish above spurs this season.

Should we mark your words? :D
Stuart i am that confident i would like you to quote me on it. :o

Hahaha Tony you genious, although you were partly wrong but no one would have seen United being that bad

Some other fantastic posts at around the 80 page mark. Thanks for pointing it out Ray :P

To be honest, I'd say spurs' failure has been down to poor management than lack of quality. I still think they're players are talented they just haven't had a coach to get the best out of them. I'd take lamela in a heartbeat, Rodgers would get the best out of him IMO.

Whilst I agree there is a range of reasons' date=' the part in bold simply cannot be ignored, said it at the time but these players are not as good as people are making them out to be.....I got laughed at but this season would indicate I might have had a point (for once :P)

To say any of them has been a success would be stretching it, Eriksen is possibly the only one who could get close, some people might say Lloris but personally I think he has been poor.

I would bet my bottom dollar that quite a few of the "newbies" are not there come the start of the season. The bare facts cannot be ignored Spurs lost Bale and replaced him poorly that was the biggest mistake of all.

Baldini, Levy, AVB whoever it was poor strategy and was always a good probability of it not working.[/quote']

I think it's unfair to judge them on this season which has had absolutely no stability. Take Liverpool as an example of a side who were classed as on a similar level to Spurs at the start of the season. I bet that if you'd introduced Soldado, Chiriches, Lamela, Paulinho or Eriksen individually to 'Pool then they'd have been far more impressive. It is based on assumption though.

I think the main problem was Levy holding out for a ridiculous fee meaning that Spurs replaced him far too late. Chadli, Soldado, Capoue, Chiriches Lamela and Eriksen were all bought after City had done all their summer business (bar Demichelis who was bought to cover an injury). The same happened to City last season - new signings got no pre season to settle in at a new club and often new country. Expecting them to perform immediately is very hopeful, despite the transfer fees.

I get the impression that Baldini was being bankrolled by Levy with AVB having very little say. Anything else and the drastic exclusion of a £30m signing looks utterly ridiculous.

I think it's unfair to judge them on this season which has had absolutely no stability. Take Liverpool as an example of a side who were classed as on a similar level to Spurs at the start of the season. I bet that if you'd introduced Soldado' date=' Chiriches, Lamela, Paulinho or Eriksen individually to 'Pool then they'd have been far more impressive. It is based on assumption though.

I think the main problem was Levy holding out for a ridiculous fee meaning that Spurs replaced him far too late. Chadli, Soldado, Capoue, Chiriches Lamela and Eriksen were all bought after City had done all their summer business (bar Demichelis who was bought to cover an injury). The same happened to City last season - new signings got no pre season to settle in at a new club and often new country. Expecting them to perform immediately is very hopeful, despite the transfer fees.

I get the impression that Baldini was being bankrolled by Levy with AVB having very little say. Anything else and the drastic exclusion of a £30m signing looks utterly ridiculous.[/quote']

I wouldn't have wanted any of those players though Stu and that is on record, but your right on your paragraph that is "assumption" to say they would have done any better somewhere else we just don't know....

I just think you are being wayyyy to kind in your assessment. Sure certain factors aint been ideal but they are professionals well paid and the general lack of effort above anything else from a large number of Spurs players is unforgivable.

I don't care who you are Stu when you pay big money for players you do expect performances, they aint delivered simple as, the excuses wear thin after a while.

The good thing about football is that it always restarts again after a year. This year has been nothing short of a disaster and we will have to have a good summer to get it working well again. It looks like we could end up finishing 7th which through my calculations means no europe. Although I don't buy into this destraction nonsense and would much rather be in Europe, it does appear to have benefits on your league form. Just look at Liverpool.

I agree with both Ray & Stuart. The players bought are good but they don't suit the system and they're all pretty one dimentional when it comes to systems. Paulinho is a 3man CM and his skillset isn't what we need/needed. I like Chadli but I doubt he can step to the next level. He also seems to prefer playing the number 10 role which he isn't agile, quick or creative enough to play in an aspiring top 4 side. Chiriches I like and am pretty sure he will be a damn good CB moving forward. I didn't really understand the Capoue signing at the time and I still don't. Not sure what skillset he possesses that the rest of the squad don't as well. He seems to be a decent player though. Bobby just hasn't worked out as of yet. He's played some nice games recently with regards to link up's etc but his lack of goals is a problem with the service he has received in my eyes. I can't remember the last time he had an actual decent chance to score rather than a shot from outside/edge of the box on an angle with lots of players infront of him. With his transfer fee, I don't see much choice with the club other than to keep him and hope it comes good with him. Eriksen has been by far the best of the 7. Very talented player and has seemed to of settled in quite well. Hoping for a big season next year in his hopefully correct no10 position with a manager who knows what he's doing. If Lamela comes back from injury knowing a good level of English, a good positive attitude and no longer falling on the floor if someone comes near him, i'm still positive he will be a great player for us.

Thankfully there are only 6 further games of Tim torture to endure.