Official Tottenham Hotspur Thread

ian neller

Re: The Official Tottenham Hotspur Thread

Was pretty preoccupied yesterday with the match and all (pre and post match drinking), was flying on cloud 9 after the result, that and I've got that Elbow song stuck in my head - "One day like this", the bar-keep kept on playing it over and over again, at first it was great, then to a point of hilarity, then I wanted to break the tube in.

On the match itself, very nervy first half, we showed Milan way too much respect, not keeping that much pressure, playing zonal, which was really done to cover the tracks should any mistake be made, if anything, it's the space given to Milan which caused the mistakes, allowing for us to be opened up the way we were.

Janko and Abate proved to be a right pain in the jacksie, as Milan were really beating us at our own game, combining that wing play with the backs supporting and tracking back. Thankfully our defense held their own, as well as our mid (somewhat), along with our 2 shining stars on the night, Gallas and Sandro. Gallas was brilliant, I really think he covered far too much for Dawson, who was the weaker link on the rampant Milan attacks, with Pato, Robinho getting us stuck in abit of bother. Sandro, had a M.O.M outing, covered tons of ground, got stuck-in when needed, he wasn't afraid to dish a little out either when he saw our lot getting it from the usual suspect, Flamini. His marking was brilliant, making timely tackles, especially on players like Pato, who we really couldn't afford to give time and space with his pace. He really needs to be playing more regularly in the XI, I think he's really showed his worth in both legs.

If I were to lend some criticism to any of our players, I would point out probably A-E and Charlie. Right, we all know A-E is our biggest liability, he did do fairly well, but, c'mon, we're in the first half, you're already of the mentality that once you have the ball your main priority is to hoof it up, if anything it gave way to more Milan attacks, he really needs work on possession and playing the smarter pass, I can understand doing that in the latter stages, or even when we see Crouchy has the advantage in who's on him, but blasting it up, constantly, not wise. Charlie, bit more lenient on, coming off the Flamini tackle, also you could tell towards the end he was playing through a pain barrier, probably would have been subbed off, if we had kept Crouchy on, but regardless man was he shaky. At times he was trying to take on Milan players, 1 on 1, with Charlie having the ball, in our third, we were lucky they didn't capitalize.

Anyways great result for us, will definitely lend as a massive boost of confidence, especially after some not so great Prem results in recent weeks. Who's next. COYS.

I gotta say Sandro played immense again! The guy is not afraid off a tackle and gets at the opponents. Great Midfielder. Our full-backs didn't play great but they didn't cost us, thankfully.

We knocked out AC Milan, who have won the Champions League seven times and this is our first time in the competition. :D

Gotta love it :D

The Metro has ye linked to being offered Aguero and Forlan from Atletico in the summer for a combined fee of £40m. If this is true ye should really jump at it tbh. What do ye think?

Well apparently in the Jan window, they rejected a bid from chelsea of around 50m£ for both Aguero and Godin...

Just like to say congrats on getting to the quarter finals :)

The Metro has ye linked to being offered Aguero and Forlan from Atletico in the summer for a combined fee of £40m. If this is true ye should really jump at it tbh. What do ye think?

Has to be utter rubbish Baz. We had a £38.5m bid denied for Aguero, as well as a supposed £12m for Forlan turned down. Hardly think Atletico would turn down a near £40m valued bid for just one of those players, for the sake of 6 months, then give us both at a sum of £40m.

Would be nice, but it's just the funnies being the funnies.

Guest JackWWFC

So where has Sandro been all season?

Im right in thinking he hasnt been a regular arent I?

He looked poor against us :confused:

WAHEYYYYYYYYY!

Madrid with the second leg at home' date=' coulda been better but still fairly confident about it if im honest! :D[/quote']

I'm optimistic with the draw against Madrid to be honest.

I would be far more confident were this the Madrid of the past 2 years, but they're a different team, with a more commanding manager. They tore Lyon to pieces in that second leg, while I feel we're a better team than Lyon, it'll be a hard 2 legs to muster whether we'll go through or not.

Benzema's in form, they've got depth on the subs, Ronaldo, back from his supposed injury, along with the usual suspects, we'll be the underdogs yet again, I guess that's what we have going into this - we have nothing to lose, hopefully that may play into our hands, that mentality, but on the offensive, when we get our chances, we have to capitalize on them too.

On a personal note, should we win, progress, would be a nice parting shot on Rafa's behalf at Madrid, would quite like that for him. COYS.

Guest Arsene Wenger Arsenal

real madrid is quite pressed.

tottenham as kylan N17 said has nothing to lose.

PLUS if you pass from real, then who knows, tottenham might be the BEST TEAM IN EUROPE:)

Very disappointing result today. Chance after chance gone begging, stopped either by a Rob Green save, or the woodwork, just a frustrating match in all. Also what was with Carlton Cole getting in on that 1 on 1 with Gomes!? Credit to Gomes for bailing us out, but really, were something like to happen in the CL, we'll dearly pay.

Two crucial points dropped, we're slowly but surely putting things back into Chelsea's hand, leaving them to decide their own fate, even though they be on the stumbling block as of late, sooner or later they'll get it going, matches like this will be the difference at the end, in getting that 4th spot.

Very disappointing result today. Chance after chance gone begging' date=' [b']stopped either by a Rob Green save, or the woodwork[/b], just a frustrating match in all. Also what was with Carlton Cole getting in on that 1 on 1 with Gomes!? Credit to Gomes for bailing us out, but really, were something like to happen in the CL, we'll dearly pay.

Two crucial points dropped, we're slowly but surely putting things back into Chelsea's hand, leaving them to decide their own fate, even though they be on the stumbling block as of late, sooner or later they'll get it going, matches like this will be the difference at the end, in getting that 4th spot.

Or Defoe missing, the guy has lost it and Pav should start upfront!

Our defence played well and so did Sandro, Again. Bale and Lennon were quite and couldnt get in the game, same with Van Der Vaart! Modric for me was our best player by far, the guy is absolute class every single week.

If it wern't for Defoe missing 25 shots we would off won :rolleyes::(

Or Defoe missing' date=' the guy has lost it and Pav should start upfront!

Our defence played well and so did Sandro, Again. Bale and Lennon were quite and couldnt get in the game, same with Van Der Vaart! Modric for me was our best player by far, the guy is absolute class every single week.

If it wern't for Defoe missing 25 shots we would off won :rolleyes::([/quote']

On JD, I'll say I've been quite lenient, patient with him. We all saw just the kind of natural goalscorer he was last year, he does take his chances. This season it's been a much different story.

Yeah, he had his injury, usually it takes abit of time (depending on the player) to find their groove back, in JD's case he's never had it this season. To say he was disappointing yesterday would be an understatement, but do I put all blame on him? No. We have alot of the times that 'Que sera sera ...' attitude, especially when it comes to a goalscorer, something which has been overlooked over the past 2 years, yet heavily talked about.

What I will say about JD is there does seem to be some light at the end of the tunnel. You look at his last appearance, against Wolves, knocked in 2 goals, granted he didn't score against West Ham, he made chances, chances were created for him, he was stopped via, yes, some horrible touches, but also the woodwork, some brilliant Rob Green saves, but he's sort of getting back into it, despite it having taken 2/3 of the season. Obviously at his level, he's gotta finish, as well as us being in that desperate situation of not being able to drop points, I'm hoping he'll come good soon enough.

People say patience is a virtue, but 4th place isn't righteous. ;)

Guest JackWWFC

Apart from his two goals, I thought JD was quite poor against us. :confused:

Pav looked more dangerous, so Jack has a good point Kylan!

Apart from his two goals' date=' I thought JD was quite poor against us. :confused:

Pav looked more dangerous, so Jack has a good point Kylan![/quote']

Oh I don't doubt Pav is more on-form this season, I'm just saying JD's not completely useless, plus he's much far better suited in a 1-2 partnership, most probably with Crouchy, however this season, with 'Arry rotating more often with the inclusion of the CL, things don't necessarily always play into Defoe's hand.

Don't also forget, JD's not a hustler, he doesn't compliment the mid as well as Pav/Crouchy, who really at times switch into a AM at times, when Rafa/Modric/Bale run-in, whereas Defoe clings to the '18, always try to play within it.

I'm just not of the opinion it's not the time to bury Defoe yet. Simple.

Some good news, Huddy's back in training, with the International layoff, 'Arry reckons he could be good to go against Wigan, touch wood of course, as we all know what happened when he did return back from the initial injury, only to have a mass setback.

I'm just wondering how he'll fit in the setup, seeing as Sandro is so in-form, as well as us having numerous options to choose from, which is definitely a good problem to have. Granted Huddlestone was in great form when he got injured, if he can recapture it, we'll be looking in good stead.

Kylan what type of player is Livermore? Is he more defensive or attacking?

Ah just seen on the BBC site he's gone out on loan to your Leeds.

I'd say he's very down the middle mate' date=' somewhat like Jenas or O'Hara, plays both ends of things, generally an all-round CM, although I wouldn't say at their level yet. I'd say if I had to choose, I 'd say he's more attacking, especially when he's seeing alot of the ball, he likes to push up. He saw very limited time at Ipswich, hopefully he gets a better run out at Leeds.

[b']EDIT:[/b]

Just read Bale's out the Wales squad, apparently saying he felt muscle tightness around the hamstring again, dating back to the West Ham match, as a precaution has been ruled out. Good news for us, seeing as we really can't risk him, yes because we have Madrid, but more importantly for the remainder of the league season, as we're really missing his touch to be the game breaker, as we're dropping too many points at the moment.

Hello people. Just wondering who's the better player, Walker or Naughton?

Was looking for a promising RB for one of my teams, and since both are contracted with Tottenham, i thought i'd ask here.

Any help is appreciated.

Ah just seen on the BBC site he's gone out on loan to your Leeds.

I'd say he's very down the middle mate' date=' somewhat like Jenas or O'Hara, plays both ends of things, generally an all-round CM, although I wouldn't say at their level yet. I'd say if I had to choose, I 'd say he's more attacking, especially when he's seeing alot of the ball, he likes to push up. He saw very limited time at Ipswich, hopefully he gets a better run out at Leeds.

[b']EDIT:[/b]

Just read Bale's out the Wales squad, apparently saying he felt muscle tightness around the hamstring again, dating back to the West Ham match, as a precaution has been ruled out. Good news for us, seeing as we really can't risk him, yes because we have Madrid, but more importantly for the remainder of the league season, as we're really missing his touch to be the game breaker, as we're dropping too many points at the moment.

Ta mate. Sounds like every single one of our central midfielders then! We've been crying out for a defensive midfielder since 09, but all we have our playmakers and box-to-box players. Will be interesting to see which of Howson, Kilkenny, Johnson, Bannan and Livermore play against Forest after the international break.

Hello people. Just wondering who's the better player' date=' Walker or Naughton?

Was looking for a promising RB for one of my teams, and since both are contracted with Tottenham, i thought i'd ask here.

Any help is appreciated.[/quote']

I'd say Walker. Granted Naughton is seeing far more playing time at Leicester than Walker is, being a first-team reg their, Walker had a sensational loan spell at QPR, and when he began his loan at Villa, which resulted in that England call-up, even though he didn't get to play (Capello being Capello). Sure Walker and Villa are struggling, but he's so versatile, could even play RM if needed. I will say this though, I wouldn't count Naughton out, I think he could stand a run-in come next year being the older of the two, although I think 'Arry seeing Walkers development may feel he would want out if not given a chance too. We're flooded with RBs, that's the only problem, that and keeping them constantly fit from the beginning of the season.

Hopefully that helps.

Ta mate. Sounds like every single one of our central midfielders then! We've been crying out for a defensive midfielder since 09' date=' but all we have our playmakers and box-to-box players. Will be interesting to see which of Howson, Kilkenny, Johnson, Bannan and Livermore play against Forest after the international break.[/quote']

No probs. Sounds like he's heading to the same kind of situation at Ipswich, whom at the time had their fare share of mids too, which I guess resulted Livermore being more of a body than anything else, barring injuries, getting his chances whenever.

No probs. Sounds like he's heading to the same kind of situation at Ipswich' date=' whom at the time had their fare share of mids too, which I guess resulted Livermore being more of a body than anything else, barring injuries, getting his chances whenever.[/quote']

Possibly. I honestly have no idea with Grayson. He clearly has his favourites, and refuses to ever rest or drop them. Beckford last year was woeful for a good three months before he finally got dropped. However every now and then he'll just completely shake things up. Johnson and Howson have been poor last few games (although the latter is somehow up for POTM) and Howson has just dropped out of the U21s with an injury, so maybe Livermore will get a chance. It's then up to him to take it.