Sign in to follow this  
ian neller

Official Tottenham Hotspur Thread

Re: The Official Tottenham Hotspur Thread

Well whoever we buy' date=' if there is going to be a signing:rolleyes: ,[b'] I really hope its not Adebayor [/b]:o

Why? He scores against you lot all the time, at least that'd stop for a year. And he's better then Peter "Bambi on ice" Crouch, Jermain "went a year without scoring" Defoe and Roman "needs Shava" Pavyluchenko. Not to mention you've already got Gallas, if you signed Adebarndoor, you'd be even closer to being an Arsenal Reject XI (or a second version of Man Citeh)....i love having pops at our rivals.

Why? He scores against you lot all the time' date=' at least that'd stop for a year.[/quote']

I just absolutely dislike the guy for some reason, never been a fan of him, The only thing he has done that I like was when he celebrated infront of the arsenal fans :D

I would rather us buy a striker from either La Liga or Serie A, who can adapt to the Prem well but I do hope we sell all our strikers except Pav :P:D

Today we have been really linked with Lass Diarra, Barton and Nilmar, can't see none of them signing though, Barton has a chance as he is free and we all know what Harry is like :rolleyes:

I reckon we will be lucky finishing in the top 10 at this rate :rolleyes:

Today we have been really linked with Lass Diarra' date=' Barton and Nilmar, can't see none of them signing though, Barton has a chance as he is free and we all know what Harry is like :rolleyes:

I reckon we will be lucky finishing in the top 10 at this rate :rolleyes:[/quote']

So far the whole transfer window for us has been a debacle. I understand 'Arry, to a certain degree has his hands tied behind his back. We have a rather large squad, consisting of players on big wages, quite a few of whom where out on loan last season. Surely they are sell-able, stop bumping the asking price up to meet the current market evaluation! It doesn't always work like that, especially when we're not playing certain players, players' form have dropped off, or their potential hasn't been reached, due to that, or not being suited for the EPL.

Players who are deemed as surplus/expendable:

(Stats from last season)

David Bentley - Spurs/Brum - GS:12, SUBS:6, GOALS:1, ASSISTS:1

What can one say about David Bentley, a player subject to the Damien Comolli era at Tottenham, purchased at an eyebrow-raising £17m, from Blackburn, under a blueprint of what is currently taking place at Liverpool as of current - buying British. Bentley has failed to live up to the price-tag, and expectations of him. Barring the odd fantastic goal, here or there, with limited service, somewhat non-existent through set-pieces and wing play, he's very much become aloof. His desire is to remain at Spurs, although clearly 'Arry has shown no sign of him having a future here, it's time to move on.

Giovani dos Santos - Spurs/Racing Santander - GS:10, SUBS:10, GOALS:5, ASSISTS:1

Gio's always been an exciting prospect coming through the Barca youth system, La Masia, even touted by many as 'the next Ronaldinho' (make of what you will from that). Bought at €6m, he has failed to impress. It's argumentative whether or not it's through lack of chances, failure to impress, or his questionable off-pitch antics, which 'Arry has pointed out in the past, mainly the late night partying, turning up late for practices. His tenure with Spurs thus far has mainly consisted of loan moves to other clubs, where he actually fared quite well. Gio most definitely still has the potential to be a class player, he's certainly shown that at the National level, putting in some blinding performances for Mexico, yet his chances have gone begging for Spurs. Some may say he's not suited for the Premiership, which is what I'm leaning on nowadays, a move is in the best interest for him. Anything £9M+, sell!

Jake Livermore - Spurs/Ipswich/Leeds - GS:13, SUBS:5, GOALS:0, ASSISTS:2

Have never been all that fond of Livermore, I'm sure you can get a more opinionated view elsewhere. Put short, at 21, the stage he's at now in his career, I just can't see him breaking into the squad at the level he's playing at. He did well against Brighton recently in our pre-season friendly, but I just don't think he's capable of doing it in the Prem. He plays two ways as a CM, is more comfortable going forward. I can see possibly another loan move for Livermore, or permanent transfer.

Robbie Keane - Spurs/West Ham - GS:7, SUBS:15, GOALS:3, ASSISTS:0

Keano's a player who in the past we''ve had a lot of time for. He's been there for the good, and the horrific moments. In hindsight once he was sold to Liverpool we should have never looked back. He has been in the past a great servant to the club, yet now he's past his best, is better off with another club, perhaps in a different league. The problem which has arisen is Keano's market value, which has heavily deflated, yet Levy keeps on looking at how much was spent to buy him, not wanting to incur a major loss. The bottom line is he's older, off-form, should be sold around £4m. No more loan moves.

Wilson Palacios - Spurs - GS:20, SUBS:9, GOALS:0, ASSISTS:0

I've been keen on Palacios in the past, yet his outings this past season have failed to impress, seeing him also slip down the pecking order with Sandro's progress. Palacios still offers that hustle in the middle, his work rate is huge, but he's become a liability with careless passing, reckless tackles - particularly just outside and venturing into the '18, along with being caught out of position on numerous counters with his marauding style. Just because Modric took on more of the regista role the season past, wasn't a cue for Palacios to turn into an attacker-extraordinaire, something he failed to realize. I won't be all that fussed if Palacios isn't moved on, however at the moment I visibly see him as surplus, someone that could be sold for a good £7m-10m, in order to raise some funds for a ST.

Alan Hutton - Spurs - GS:24, SUBS:2, GOALS:2, ASSISTS:2

Hutton's in a similar situation to Palacios. Hutton, albeit at times has proved to be a great RWB option, especially during some of our CL fixtures, he does however show a lack of positioning in our own half, being caught out, and is horrible at tackling, has proved to be rather injury prone. He certainly can hold his own supporting Lennon, or whoever is playing on the right, plays the overlap well, has a real instinct for running the channels in the last third, but that's about it. Lets also take into consideration the emergence of Kyle Walker last season, who won't be going out on loan this season, Naughton has (Norwich). I'd tend to think Charlie and Walker will be the 2 preferred RB options, leaving Hutton on the out.

Peter Crouch - Spurs - GS:28, SUBS:16, GOALS:8, ASSISTS:9

Crouch is a funny one. Whilst many peoples criticisms of 'lil Petey have been a tad harsh, I've tended to look at him at another way, moreso thinking about the type of ST he is, rather than lambasting him for the amount of goals he scored, which lets face it, is ALWAYS what any ST will be judged on at the end of the day (cough... cough... Mr. Torres). We all know he's a lanky sort, one which will always play off his freakish height, chesting long balls down, holding the ball, playing it off onto others, it's what he did best this season, was the main reason players like VDV, Bale, Lennon were so able to get in the positions they did in the last third (other than when Bale/Lennon went on their own speedy runs). Crouch also displays great footwork for such a tall ST, it's just a shame his foot can't put the ball in the back of the goal so readily. This leads me onto the main con - finishing. It's what we so missed from a ST last season, is the main reason we dropped points. You've got to think out of Pav, JD, and Crouchy, Crouch is the most expendable of the 3, that's why I think he could be on his way out out of the 3. Having said that, I really won't be surprised if he's with us come the beginning of the season.

After typing all this I've gotta think there is money to be had, barring evaluations are dropped, suitors are found. Also we're not a club that's skint, we do have money to spend, as a buyer though, especially one looking for a class ST, we've let time surpass, missed our opportunity on the players that really would have appealed, not to mention the lure of the Champions League has escaped us, fending off some players.

Leandro Damaio, whom we have been linked up with all of the summer signed a contract extension with Internacional. Pablo Osvaldo has expressed an interest in staying with Espanyol, wanting to be captain. Vucinic, another player the funnies reported we were negotiating an offer for has completed a move to Juve. Apparently we're back on the Rossi hunt, yet again though, the move appears to late as Villarreal were adamant they would only be keen on selling Santi Cazorla or Rossi, only one, this summer, and have sold Santi.

We're certainly still in the frame to be a top 6 club this season, even if what we have as of now will be our squad this year, but we're going to have to hope the players who played such a big part last season carry on to do so, plus an in-form JD would be more than welcome back. We need goals!!! Also, somebody needs to give 'Arry a real good old slap, I dunno if he's partially blind, to many cotton buds clogged up in his ear, or if it's the spider webs forming around his barnet, but PLAY NIKO!!!

Don't put Dos Santos in that category.

well what i meant was, if theey have a future at tottenham, or they arent good enough to perform for a top club.

PS. Sorry about dos santos, but he clearly failed at tottenham, i know hes a grea player with a great talent, but probably he isnt cut for a top club where theres alot of pressure.

well what i meant was' date=' if theey have a future at tottenham, or they arent good enough to perform for a top club.

PS. Sorry about dos santos, but[b'] he clearly failed at tottenham[/b], i know hes a grea player with a great talent, but probably he isnt cut for a top club where theres alot of pressure.

Don't know how you can call him a failure when he's played 10 games in 3 years (almost all as a sub) and don't know how you can say he's not cut for a top club when he excelled at Barca in his final season there :rolleyes:

Don't know how you can call him a failure when he's played 10 games in 3 years (almost all as a sub) and don't know how you can say he's not cut for a top club when he excelled at Barca in his final season there :rolleyes:

well' date=' 10 games in 3 season, do you think that that's a success?

Also i said [u']probably[/u]... i didnt just say he isnt cut.. But if he was such a player at Barca why did they let him go? And why didnt they make a contract such as the Bojan one?

All things that have to be taken in consideration.

I did say that he is a great player, but it looks quite obvious that he cannot endure the pressure coming from a top club (and at Barca is different, you got 10 outstanding players supporting you, some of which are the best in the world, so its much easier playing in such a team), tottenahm is a great club, and one of the best in england along with the big ones, but it doesnt have a xavi, it doesnt have an Iniesta, and it doesnt have other world class players beside VDV, Bale (has to prove it this season tho) and Modric (lennon is good, but far from being one of the best), if he cannot show his talent without being surrounded by 10 football martians, then maybe he isnt that world class player, i think hes cut for a team like Udinese, or maybe hes cut for spanish football... But he failed to impress at all in the premier league, you cant argue with that.

My point about the 10 games is that he hasn't had opportunities to impress in the Premier League! Look how long it took Bale to finally impress! Gio was given a handful of chances at the age of 19 or so, and then when he wasn't as world-class as Redknapp expected, instead of developing him, Redknapp tossed him out.

The only reason why dos Santos has "failed" at Tottenham is that he was a Juande Ramos signing. Redknapp doesn't have the patience for developing players that aren't British; if they're not world class when he gets them, like Modric and VDV, then Redknapp won't be interested in developing them. However good a coach Redknapp is/becomes, that will always be the weakpoint in his coaching repertoire for me.

My point about the 10 games is that he hasn't had opportunities to impress in the Premier League! Look how long it took Bale to finally impress! Gio was given a handful of chances at the age of 19 or so' date=' and then when he wasn't as world-class as Redknapp expected, instead of developing him, Redknapp tossed him out.

The only reason why dos Santos has "failed" at Tottenham is that he was a Juande Ramos signing. Redknapp doesn't have the patience for developing players that aren't British; if they're not world class when he gets them, like Modric and VDV, then Redknapp won't be interested in developing them. However good a coach Redknapp is/becomes, that will always be the weakpoint in his coaching repertoire for me.[/quote']

I dont see what nationality has to do with whether Redknapp helps develop players. He brought through some quality players at West Ham.

My point about the 10 games is that he hasn't had opportunities to impress in the Premier League! Look how long it took Bale to finally impress! Gio was given a handful of chances at the age of 19 or so' date=' and then when he wasn't as world-class as Redknapp expected, instead of developing him, Redknapp tossed him out.

The only reason why dos Santos has "failed" at Tottenham is that he was a Juande Ramos signing. Redknapp doesn't have the patience for developing players that aren't British; if they're not world class when he gets them, like Modric and VDV, then Redknapp won't be interested in developing them. However good a coach Redknapp is/becomes, that will always be the weakpoint in his coaching repertoire for me.[/quote']

Yea, i understand your point and i agree with you, if Redknapp had the patiente and more faith on Dos Santos, he would have definetly become a great and more important player (even tho he already is a great player) for tottenham, but that doesnt change the fact that in 3 years at a top club he has merely played 10 games (Redknapp fault, but hes the coach and he decides), so this 3 years can only be classed as a failure for Dos Santos, even tho he is not to blame, i mean he prety much wasted 3 years (in which he played about 2000 mins, some mins in a championship team, half the mnutes in a turkish team and with all due respect for turkey, but the legue is quite mediocre, and the other half for a team fighting for salvation from the relegation), i mean, to me, this isnt success, this is quite a failure.

I dont see what nationality has to do with whether Redknapp helps develop players. He brought through some quality players at West Ham.

Like Ferdinand, Cole, Carrick, Lampard and Defoe you mean? BigGameMo has a point...

Like Ferdinand' date=' Cole, Carrick, Lampard and Defoe you mean? BigGameMo has a point...[/quote']

lol Andy im well aware of the fact they are British / English, I just dont see how nationality has an impact upon his decision to push people through.

Especially considering he has no qualms about buying foreign players. Maybe Gio just doesnt fit into his system, maybe he hasnt trained hard enough, maybe he doesnt have the right attitude. Probably one of those or a combo rather than he is being left out because Arry doesnt like playing foreign youngsters.

I dont see the point....:o

lol Andy im well aware of the fact they are British / English' date=' I just dont see how nationality has an impact upon his decision to push people through.

Especially considering he has no qualms about buying foreign players. Maybe Gio just doesnt fit into his system, maybe he hasnt trained hard enough, maybe he doesnt have the right attitude. Probably one of those or a combo rather than he is being left out because Arry doesnt like playing foreign youngsters.

I dont see the point....:o[/quote']

Perhaps the point has no foundation, but there is a most discernible pattern. I think the point that Dos Santos is a Ramos signing is very telling, however.

Harry has shown no faith in Dos Santos whatsoever in my opinion and I really feel for Giovanni, its like he has just been forgotten about. I would drop Bale and start Dos Santos if I was brutally honest. But you never know when Bale is going to play well, the guy is so predictable and I feel Gio could give us something totally different, It won't happen though, just my opinion.

Also some of the best transfer rumours from us today which stated Crouch could leave and Samba could be joining with Defoe and Bentley being the 2 players in the swap, it doesn't say that in the article but I heard it earlier on SSN.

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,12876_7078131,00.html

Crouch Leaving.

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11095_7079180,00.html?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

Samba story

Perhaps the point has no foundation' date=' but there is a most discernible pattern. I think the point that Dos Santos is a Ramos signing is very telling, however.[/quote']

this was more my point than anything else.

On the subject of British youngsters being the only youngsters Redknapp pushes through, its more than a trend. I don't think any of the reasons you've listed are valid Adamski, why would it be that consistently only British players are the ones who work hard enough to be promoted by Redknapp? And why would it be that dos Santos worked hard enough at Racing Santander and Barcelona, and of course the Mexican National Team, to excel with all three sides, but simply doesn't fit or doesn't work hard enough at Tottenham? Neither argument holds up.

I'm not saying Redknapp's a racist or anything, but just like Wenger has his thing for French talents, Redknapp prefers his British youngsters. Difference is, Wenger will still work to develop w/e talents come through his system, while Redknapp, for w/e reason, will not.

Tottenham Hotspur are understood to have made an offer for Blackburn defender Chris Samba, but Rovers midfielder David Dunn does not expect the transfer speculation to affect his team-mate's commitment to the cause.

Samba and Dawson would be quality, not getting my hopes up though :D

I think Dos Santos is an inconsistant player himself, and there is games where he does absoloutely nothing on the wing. Bale is inconistant for sure, i've never seen him play well for the Welsh team, and i'd rather see Cotterill or Robson-Kanu play over Bale due to that reason.

I can see why Bale is in their ahead of Dos Santos for many reason though, Bale's good performances are a lot stronger than Dos Santos's good performances. I'm struggling to see that Dos Santos is a player that would fit in the Premiership, he's very lightweight and may well fair better in La Liga.

As for Samba, what on earth would be the point in that signing. Why does Redknapp feel he has to bring in so many centre-backs. Yes with Woodgate gone you wouldn't be adding to the number of centre-backs but you should be reducing them. Dawson and Gallas is a strong enough partnership, but with the likes of Kaboul, Bassong and King who are all strong enough to play in the first team is plenty. But adding Samba in their just overloads things once again, and i cant see him being keen on selling any of those players either. Khumalo for example joined last year, and is left to go out on loan to the Championship, whilst Caulker is more than good enough to play regular Premiership football and has been loaned out to us for the season.

I think Dos Santos is an inconsistant player himself' date=' and there is games where he does absoloutely nothing on the wing. Bale is inconistant for sure, i've never seen him play well for the Welsh team, and i'd rather see Cotterill or Robson-Kanu play over Bale due to that reason.

I can see why Bale is in their ahead of Dos Santos for many reason though, Bale's good performances are a lot stronger than Dos Santos's good performances. I'm struggling to see that Dos Santos is a player that would fit in the Premiership, he's very lightweight and may well fair better in La Liga.[/quote']

For my thoughts on Dos Santos, this is what I posted a few days ago, I still stand by it. He's had limited chances, yes, though the chances he has had he has failed to impress. I really don't think he's suited for the Prem, if I'm being honest there are better players on are squad as of current more suited to play ahead of him (although in the past he should have got more of a run-out, as our squad hasn't been as near as strong). He still has the ability and potential to reach a class level though, his performances mainly at the international level have shown this. He had a good loan spell as Racing Santander last season, 2 years before that, a short loan spell at Ipswich. He really is moulded in my opinion for La Liga, or the Serie A, looks as if (according to the papers) the La Liga could be his out. I do feel for the lad, wish things could have worked out for him, but he knows an exit from the Lane is in the best interest for him, personally for us too, needing that cash to amount a bid for a ST.

Giovani dos Santos - Spurs/Racing Santander - GS:10' date=' SUBS:10, GOALS:5, ASSISTS:1

Gio's always been an exciting prospect coming through the Barca youth system, La Masia, even touted by many as 'the next Ronaldinho' (make of what you will from that). Bought at €6m, he has failed to impress. It's argumentative whether or not it's through lack of chances, failure to impress, or his questionable off-pitch antics, which 'Arry has pointed out in the past, mainly the late night partying, turning up late for practices. His tenure with Spurs thus far has mainly consisted of loan moves to other clubs, where he actually fared quite well. Gio most definitely still has the potential to be a class player, he's certainly shown that at the National level, putting in some blinding performances for Mexico, yet his chances have gone begging for Spurs. Some may say he's not suited for the Premiership, which is what I'm leaning on nowadays, a move is in the best interest for him. Anything £9M+, sell! [/i']

As for why Bale is ahead of Dos Santos, and or whether or not he should be, I shan't even bother entering into such a discussion, to do so really takes away from the colossal progression Bale has made into one of our most premier players. There is no comparison. His rise to stardom has been colossal, he just needs to avoid the injuries, although he can't help it on occasions when he's being sandwiched by two Blackpool players, coming in on either side of him, making a reckless challenge.

As for Samba' date=' what on earth would be the point in that signing. Why does Redknapp feel he has to bring in so many centre-backs. Yes with Woodgate gone you wouldn't be adding to the number of centre-backs but you should be reducing them. Dawson and Gallas is a strong enough partnership, but with the likes of Kaboul, Bassong and King who are all strong enough to play in the first team is plenty. But adding Samba in their just overloads things once again, and i cant see him being keen on selling any of those players either. Khumalo for example joined last year, and is left to go out on loan to the Championship, whilst Caulker is more than good enough to play regular Premiership football and has been loaned out to us for the season.[/quote']

I partially agree with you here SJ.

I'm in agreement particularly when looking at Kaboul's progress last season, who really impressed, stepped in through injuries, at times even played LB and RB. Through those performances which saw him earn his first senior call-up to the France squad. He's very gritty, has pace, a fierce shot, although he can get quite hot-headed at times, making reckless challenges. As mentioned we do have other CBS too, in Bassong, Gallas, Dawson (amazing last season). I do also question sending Caulker out on loan to Swansea. I really think we could have used him, if up until January at-least, where then he could have gone out on loan, he would have been certain to get some games with us, particularly looking at the Europa League, where 'Arry has already stated he will look to play youngsters.

In rebuttal to those points though, two reasons as to why I could see 'Arry going after Samba would be; 1) Injuries, 2) Burnout. We suffered quite abit last season, mainly through lack of finishing from our forwards, and through an injury crisis at the back. We're all well aware Ledley is as bouncy as the stock market, you never know whether or not his stock is going to plummet via the usual knee injury, he's become a rotational CB at best, but still a bloody reliable one, whose all heart. Dawson was having a brilliant season when he got injured on International duty (although picked up where he left off upon his return), we did have Kaboul step-in, partnering Gallas, as well as Charlie who eventually played CB through Gallas' hamstring injuries. Caulker even got a few games in too. Also don't forget as to how many additional games we had to play via advancing even further into the Champions League, you could tell our lot weren't as fresh, especially at the back come weekend league matches, through the limited options. Having a player like Samba would create more competition, really go a long way in our Europa campaign as far as keeping players fresh, he is a brilliant CB to have, is extremely hard nosed.

In the grand scheme of things though I do consider Samba to be a 'luxury buy', in simple economic terms he is a want, not a need. That need is a class forward, one we were heavily lacking in this season past.

Lastly, we've drawn Hearts in our Europa play-off round to reach the group stage.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/14419175.stm